How to Stop Writing Run-On Sentences?

Z

Zelda

Original poster
(I hope I posted this in the right place...)

I've always had a problem with writing too many run-on sentences. I always try to go into too much detail I guess, and then the sentences always end up being, like, 3 lines long because there was no way to space it out. I've tried cutting out fluff, but honestly it doesn't seem like I have too much in there, or at least not enough to make a big impact on the sentence length. I actually think it's because I go into too much fuss over trying to make sure the sentences flow together, so I add a lot of linking verbs. I also think that I try too hard to not use boring elementary words like "mad", "sad", "happy", "tired", "small", etc. The thing is, even though I know a couple of my mistakes, I can't seem to cut them out, whether it be because of my sentence wording or that I just can't feel like I've conveyed enough emotions when changing the sentences. So, I'm in need of some tips or techniques to help me 'calm down' my sentences and make sure that the reader's mind doesn't stray off halfway through reading it...

Try to look at the subjects of the sentence, if a sentence is too long, you may need to reword in order to break it up and address some of its subjects in their own sentences

Sarah looked out her window; she brushed her golden hair out of her blue eyes and took in the beauty outside her window which consisted of a lush forest, sparkling with dew, and birds singing in the trees.

Whew!

Why don't we reword so that Sarah looking out the window, and what she sees when she does are separate?

Sarah looked out her window; she brushed her golden hair out of her blue eyes and took in the beauty outside. Beyond her window lay a lush forest, sparkling with dew, and birds singing in the trees.

Much better!

Last edited: