How to properly kick someone out for their quality of writing?

Marlowe

Loner
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
  2. Primarily Prefer Female
Like the title says, I would like to know how to kick someone out for the quality of their writing without looking like an asshole.

I don't know about you, but I have been and moderated several RPs where I expect people to write a paragraph or two for their characters. And then there's this one RPer that posts two lines, consisting of only of dialogue. Not only that, but there are times where people just say:

"Alicia sighed".
This is one of the cases of poor writing, at least in my case. Then there are people that look like a cat walked over their keyboard.
"'somenoe is goin to find us' said kayla as she loked around the aley. 'were going 2 die'"
Both of these cases are something that really grinds on my nerves. The rest of the RPers are typing their proper posts and all and then there's always that one person who comes with low quality work just to get a post in under two minutes with the excuse that they don't know what to write. I rather you spend a few days pondering about what to get down than just write that.

So I was wondering... when one gets fed up with these types of things, and after warning the person, what's the best way to kick them out of the RP?​

Personally, I wouldn't. Not straight away, at least. I'm also working the the assumption that these are your RPs, not just RPs you're a part of.

First, I'd give message them bringing up your concerns. "For this level of RP, I was really expecting people to help me bring the story to life, and without any detail it's really not happening. I was wondering if you could try to add a bit more. If you're having trouble take a few days to think about it, or you could hit me up and maybe I could help." etc, etc.

If they continued not to give anything to work with I'd straight up tell them. "Hey, I know we talked about this before, but I'm really going to need you to start contributing something more."

Finally, if it still continued I'd say, "I really don't think this RP is the right fit for you. I've talked to you a few times about expectations, and nothing has changed. I offered my assistance, and I just don't think we're the right fit to be working together. Thanks anyway and sorry it didn't work out."

The best way to do it is just to tell the truth. Tell the player that they're not meeting the posting expectations for your RP, and that they unfortunately cannot continue with it. If someone is pulling frequent one liners or using chat speak, chances are they won't suddenly change and become grade A authors just because you told them that you're concerned about their writing. Sure, pointing it out to them and see if they change it is nothing but fair, but you have absolutely zero responsibility to make sure they keep up. This is something you do in your spare time, perhaps to relax and have fun, and unless you enjoy actively tutoring others how to write, you shouldn't have to put up with it.

But, don't make a public thing out of it. Confront the player by PM, not in the OOC thread, and break the news to the other players without being disrespectful or rude to the one you had to excuse from the RP.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
So give them three chances then? Alright. I'll do that when I'm in that situation.

Don't be a dick about it or tell them that they're bad at it, but be to-the-point about why it's an issue. "Your posts aren't giving much for other people to react to. It's hard for them to reply to you unless you help them out." Or you can try and engage them, connect with them as a proper partner. "I want to know more about what your character is thinking or doing right now! Could you go back and expand on your post?" Or you might even approach them with a helping hand. "It doesn't sound like you're having fun. Do you need help coming up with something for your character to do?"

Sometimes people just need a little direction. Sometimes bad writing is symptomatic of an issue with the RP, be it a lack of communication or lack of inspiration.

Reactions: Adelaide
Personally, I wouldn't. Not straight away, at least. I'm also working the the assumption that these are your RPs, not just RPs you're a part of.

First, I'd give message them bringing up your concerns. "For this level of RP, I was really expecting people to help me bring the story to life, and without any detail it's really not happening. I was wondering if you could try to add a bit more. If you're having trouble take a few days to think about it, or you could hit me up and maybe I could help." etc, etc.

If they continued not to give anything to work with I'd straight up tell them. "Hey, I know we talked about this before, but I'm really going to need you to start contributing something more."

Finally, if it still continued I'd say, "I really don't think this RP is the right fit for you. I've talked to you a few times about expectations, and nothing has changed. I offered my assistance, and I just don't think we're the right fit to be working together. Thanks anyway and sorry it didn't work out."

Don't be a dick about it or tell them that they're bad at it, but be to-the-point about why it's an issue. "Your posts aren't giving much for other people to react to. It's hard for them to reply to you unless you help them out." Or you can try and engage them, connect with them as a proper partner. "I want to know more about what your character is thinking or doing right now! Could you go back and expand on your post?" Or you might even approach them with a helping hand. "It doesn't sound like you're having fun. Do you need help coming up with something for your character to do?"

Sometimes people just need a little direction. Sometimes bad writing is symptomatic of an issue with the RP, be it a lack of communication or lack of inspiration.

I agree with both of these posts. Like Ozzie said, sometimes the "problem RPer" either doesn't see what's wrong with their replies or just doesn't know what to write, as a result of not feeling super-involved in the story. I always try to reach out to RPers that seem to be having a hard time making replies (though it's usually more due to lateness and absences as opposed to shoddy quality, but still), and ask them what the problem is. If their reply is along the lines of "I just don't know what to do with my character", then I'll try to help them out with that.

That said, there are some cases where an RPer's style just isn't meshing well with the rest of the RP, and their habit of leaving short and not-very-well-thought-out replies is causing problems. In which case, like Supah said, just confront them and be honest about it -- tell them that their post quality is a problem and maybe even give them advice on how to fix it. If the problem persists, give them a few more warnings about it, each time making it more clear that if they can't fix up their posts, you'll have to kick them out. If they still don't improve, then you can politely tell them that your RP just isn't a good fit for them and that they'd probably be happier elsewhere. By then, you would've already given them enough warnings that it certainly shouldn't come off as out-of-the-blue or anything.

But uh. There's still a chance they might freak out at you for giving them the boot. But uh, well, that certainly wouldn't make you the asshole in that situation. :P

But uh. There's still a chance they might freak out at you for giving them the boot. But uh, well, that certainly wouldn't make you the asshole in that situation. :P
I agree with this, but would like to add to it...

I kind of want to add that people are less likely to freak out if they're not feeling attacked. Be respectful. Be discreet. And don't catch an asshole-esque tone when you talk to them and you should be fine.

Bascially what everyone has been saying

1. We all started there; if you can possibly be patient and try to help them learn to adapt their style, do so. Let them know what it is specifically that you feel is lacking in their post and explain that roleplays work better when the players write in a similar style. Maybe link them to some relevant workshops and guides here in the Institute!
  2. If they don't want to change their style and you can't work around them, then you can ask them to leave POLITELY, IN PRIVATE, AND WITH DIGNITY. Explain that this is a personal preference of style; lots of people enjoy playing simple, short posts like what you've described, your roleplay is just not one of those venues. Do so in private, and if people ask where they went, don't post-shame them, either explain in private or choose something discreet like "they had to leave due to style differences"
you may have noticed, I prefer to refer to the phenomenon you're describing as a stylistic difference rather than "lacking quality" because it's REALLY HARD to tell someone they're not "quality" enough for your roleplay without sounding mean or talking down to them :(

Oh, and if they blow up in your face despite the privacy, politeness, and dignity, use the report key and let the drama squad handle it :)

Reactions: Turtle of the Tired
If it's not my RP, I usually keep quiet unless it's becoming a case where I'm trying to write with somebody and they aren't giving me anything to work with. Nothing's more discouraging for participation if you keep trying to do a couple paragraphs (assuming that's the standard) and you're getting one liners back.

If I'm GMing, I make the standards very clear and write out exactly what's expected in the first OOC post in the rules section, submitting an application is basically signing off saying that you agree to meet the posting criteria. I don't usually have a problem with people undershooting the posting expectations, but if I notice it's a reoccurring thing, I point it out to them in the OOC and just casually mention that they aren't meeting the standards and should keep them in mind, and if they need a hand or advice to ask myself or a co-GM for help. Getting feedback both ways helps. Just keep a reasonable, even tone and never under any circumstances belittle somebody. If you've determined that somebody isn't going to meet your standards, it's entirely in your right as a GM to say the game isn't a right fit for them. The main thing is you need to be clear of what you expect from the get go.