How To Not Google

Hecatoncheires

un jour je serai de retour près de toi
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
HELLO FRIENDS.

YOU MAY HAVE HEARD THAT GOOGLE, PROVIDERS OF POPULAR SERVICES SUCH AS MOTHERFUCKIN GOOGLE, IS KINDA TURNING PURE FUCKIN EVIL OF LATE.

And if you haven't, here's a handy primer on the topic from Hacker News goobers.

Mayhaps you're a bit fed up of our Alphabet overlords extracting every bit of data possible from you in exchange for the use of their increasingly sub-par services. Mayhaps you want some alternatives to Google Docs or Gmail.

ENTER NO MORE GOOGLE, A HANDY REPOSITORY OF POPULAR GOOGLE ALTERNATIVES PUT TOGETHER BY SOME LOVELY NERDS SOMEWHERE.

You Iwaku writing nerds may find the Google Docs alternatives section of particular interest, but there's some cool shit across the spectrum of services that you might find handy. And which won't steal all your fucking information.

That's neat. Guess I'll start using Quip now. Thanks, Grump.

I've heard good things about WorkFlowy, too, for what it's worth.

I used DuckDuckGo for image searching just the other day, it loads much quicker than Google for me. Looks like I have a new pal.

i like ecosia for a search engine because im a hipster,, but it's a nice company and it plants a tree for every search 8)

Reactions: Shiri and Dusk
is this a Bing advertisement

stop telling me to use Bing i won't i refuse

:cookie:

IF MICROSOFT WANTS TO GIVE ME MONEY TO TOUT BING I'LL FUCKING DO IT. I AIN'T GOT PRIDE OR INTEGRITY.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Pahn
Oh yeah, Workflowy is amazing. Can recommend.

You can turn on "Do not track" in the Google settings though... Is that a lie too? :|

I switched to Opera for my browser a few weeks ago and I was NOT disappointed. I love it! I also use LastPass, it's very handy. As well as dropbox to store stuff I need for cross-computering.

You can turn on "Do not track" in the Google settings though... Is that a lie too? :|

Google has been caught skirting around Do Not Track settings on multiple occasions, and with the new Chrome update really pushing it's sync process you better believe they're nomming your data.

Google has been caught skirting around Do Not Track settings on multiple occasions, and with the new Chrome update really pushing it's sync process you better believe they're nomming your data.

;___; That sucks. I've been loyal to Google for years now. It's the only search engine I use on my laptop.

Well, finally made the daring move to switch over to Firefox. It'll take a while to get used to, but no more Google! Currently have Bing set as my search engine on Firefox and I'm really starting to wonder if I should change my Gmail account too or if that's, at least safe. It makes me wonder...

I've been having issues with Google softwares working anyway. Everything is slow. And Google chrome uninstalled itself randomly on my tablet. Been testing alternatives for the past month.

I'm really starting to wonder if I should change my Gmail account too or if that's, at least safe.

Oh no, they harvest data off your Gmail as well. And they let third-party apps to scan data from it, too, cos they're nice like that.

I'd recommend switching to Proton Mail, if you're in the market for an alternative. Some of the best security and encryption on the market, based in Switzerland (so you got that delicious Swiss data protection), and they offer free accounts.

• Ah Seen It
Reactions: junebug
Finally made the move to Firefox and changed my mail. Been planning to do that for a while now, anyway.

Also, I dunno if this has already been suggested, but HackMD seems like a good alternative for those who use google docs to write collaborative posts. No registration required and all.

• Love
Reactions: junebug
Just switched over to Protonmail an Zoho docs. Totally in love with Zoho right now. lol

Finally made the move to Firefox and changed my mail. Been planning to do that for a while now, anyway.

Also, I dunno if this has already been suggested, but HackMD seems like a good alternative for those who use google docs to write collaborative posts. No registration required and all.

AHHHH thank youuuu!!! I've been trying to find an alternative Dx

EDIT: Also made a proton mail... Now to tell people I switched LOL

Last edited: