How often do you change your username?

How often do you change your name?

• Everyday!! Permanent identities are stupid!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eh...every once in awhile

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • Never! I chose this name cause I love it!

Votes: 38 70.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mundane Monster

The most uninspiring of monsters
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
  2. One post per day
  3. 1-3 posts per week
Writing Levels
  1. Beginner
  2. Elementary
  3. Intermediate
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Transgender
Genres
Fantasy, Modern Fantasy, Animal based, Scifi, Modern, Horror, Comedy, Slice of life.
How often do you change or alter your username? Or do you just keep it the same as when you first joined the site? What was your most favorite username? Is there a theme to your names? Do you match your name with your avatar?
And this last one is for staff really, but is there a limit to name changes?

I've only changed my name one time, and I changed it back to my original name after a while. I've thought about changing it again, but why bother? Everyone knows me by this name, and it's one that I've kept to for the past 15 years.

Username selection is a huge process for me. I spend way too much time finding a meaning or a particular concept that resonates with me as opposed to finding one that sounds cool.

I've only changed my username once and cower at the sheer thought of changing it again.

Fun fact: there's actually a story linking my old username to the current one. I'm a helpless nerd...

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Mundane Monster
This is the first time my name is NOT Oyoa. To be honest. I switched it because well.. starting over and all that. I came back after long time gone and felt name change was needed. O.O

• Bucket of Rainbows
I mean my username is also my marketing name. It's my pen name that I write under as well. I cannot necessarily change my birth name, so not sure much about love and more like I am my personal product. Hahaha

I've only kept Greenie on Iwaku, I never changed it nor do I plan too. I pretty much always keep a green avatar as well.

Last edited:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Iwaku is the first time I've used IntrusivePenDesperateSword, and I intend to keep it.

I like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
I used to change it like every six months or so but I finally found a name I really like and don't intend to ever change it.
I am "THE QUEEN"! :)

• Bucket of Rainbows
Measure twice, cut once.

I greatly enjoy sites that don't allow people to change their names, because it is hilarious seeing threads pop up with names like "BONERMASTER420xXSWAGXx" pleading to be allowed to change their names.

That and I really don't care for figuring out who the hell is who when people change their names constantly.

That and I really don't care for figuring out who the hell is who when people change their names constantly.
Agree with this 100%.

• Bucket of Rainbows
This. This this this this. O_O

People constantly changing their names drives me crazy, and it honestly makes it really easy to just completely lose track of a person and think you're talking to a complete stranger when you meet up with an acquaintance who's actually had a name change that you didn't know about. I like being able to actually recognize people around the forums as opposed to seeing "new people" who are actually people that I may have known all along but never realized it because I assumed they were actually 3-4 different members. It's like... how do you even expect people to remember your names if you don't have a stable name to return to?

Not to mention, it's a hassle to tag people when you realize that what you thought was their username no longer works, and then you have to hunt down a post of theirs that you're 100% sure they made in order to figure out what their new name is, just so you can properly tag them.

Oh, and it's also annoying as a GM to have people constantly change their names, because, for example, Gwazi is in some RP's of mine, and Gwazi used to change his name so often that I had players who honestly did not know who I was referring to when I used the name "Gwazi". It was legitimately causing problems in my RP's and it was just plain annoying.

Names are labels that we use so that we know who the hell everyone is. If your name changes constantly, it loses that purpose, and it's annoying as all hell.

The same thing sort of happens on Tumblr, where people can change their URL's whenever they like, and it honestly makes me forget who people even are when I see them on my dash. And I've come across countless stories of people becoming friends on Tumblr, only to drift apart as they kept changing their URL's to the point where no one knew who anyone was anymore and they forgot why they followed the person and eventually unfollowed because they thought, "who the hell is this, anyway?".

Like, if you're someone who's changed their name recently? I'm sorry, but I literally don't know who you are anymore. It doesn't matter if we used to talk to each other in the past -- I will assume you are someone completely different until it is made explicitly clear that you used to have X/Y/Z as your username. I don't have time to check everyone's profiles to see what their names used to be and then memorize who's who. The only way I can remember anyone's identities is if they just maintain a solid identity to remember. @_@

Now, if you occasionally change your username? That I can deal with, so long as you make it clear who you used to be. But people who constantly change them? That I just can't stand.

I've never changed my Iwaku username, though I've been recently considering changing it to something similar to what I have now. I'm starting to not like the "-kun" and so I kind of want to remove that, but just plain "Kaga" sounds too short and plain, even if that is what most people call me. I'm thinking I'd want my actual username to be something a little bit longer and more interesting.

But something as trivial as changing it to match an avatar change? Fuck no. I like it when people can actually recognize me from post to post, dammit.

I've never changed my Iwaku username, though I've been recently considering changing it to something similar to what I have now. I'm starting to not like the "-kun" and so I kind of want to remove that, but just plain "Kaga" sounds too short and plain, even if that is what most people call me. I'm thinking I'd want my actual username to be something a little bit longer and more interesting.

But something as trivial as changing it to match an avatar change? Fuck no. I like it when people can actually recognize me from post to post, dammit.
Might I suggest "Kagatron?" :D

3950311-tumblr_mm3doemozc1qc7pgwo8_400.gif

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Kagayours
I am Icystorm on every site I go on. I changed it once for a few weeks on another site to join in on some Pokemon fun, but now it is back to being Icystorm.

• Bucket of Rainbows
I change my name about once a month maybe less than that. I usually change it when I change my avatar, but that being said I always keep the "Turtle" part. It's a constant.

• Bucket of Rainbows
I never have and probably never will. Jorick has been the main name I use for internet stuff for over a decade now, and I see no reason to bother changing it.

• Bucket of Rainbows
I mean my username is also my marketing name. It's my pen name that I write under as well. I cannot necessarily change my birth name, so not sure much about love and more like I am my personal product. Hahaha
Excuse the tangent ...

... Television. Rules the nation ...

Status
Not open for further replies.