how does ignoring work exactly?

Discussion in 'THREAD ARCHIVES' started by Opal, Jan 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Since the block/ignore system is different on every site, I figure I'd ask for clarification here.

If I ignore a user, it's my understanding that I can't see anything they post, right? In return, can they see what I post? Can they still contact me in any way? Can they still ping me to posts and whatnot? Or is it like removing them from your own virtual space altogether?

2. To my knowledge.

Whenever you ignore someone, you will never see a post from them again. They can never send you a Private Message. Well...they can, but it will say you left the conversation permanently right as the PM was created, so you will never see it.

As for them. I believe they can see everything you post? I'm not entirely sure. I also don't believe if they tag you @Fauna, that it will ping you with an alert. I could be wrong on this part...but I don't know. I only used the Ignore button once.

So. Hope this helps you understand what happens with the Ignore button. I'm positive on the first part of what I wrote, but I don't know about the other part.

3. I'm 99% sure the ignore button is one sides but I'm going to poke around a bit more just to make sure.

#3 Noctis the Devious, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  4. Yeah, ignoring someone is one-sided. It hides their posts in all places from your view, but they can still see your posts as normal. They may be able to post things to your profile and PM you, but you should not see their messages at all since the ignore function will hide their stuff from your view.

The only thing I'm not sure about is how @ notifications work with ignore. I know the functionality exists to tag someone without them getting a notification, such as when we do so in the staff/CV hidden forum section, but I'm not sure if that is in play when people you have ignored try to tag you in a post.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. You shouldn't be able to get tagged by an ignored person!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.