How do you like your Character Sheet in the morning?

Applo

Beautiful like a Forest Fire
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
Character Sheets; nearly all of us will have written at least a couple of them in our time, and I am confident we all have feelings about what a makes a good one and what makes a bad one. Well, this thread is your chance to put forward your case about what you like to see when you open up the thread of an RP you want to join.

Honestly for me it's all about reference. I don't need the sheet to be extravagantly long and detailed. I detest stuff like 'sexual orientation' and likes/dislikes. I wanna see things relevant to the storyline and what I as a GM or player need to know. Name and age, obviously, appearance is important (an image and/or written description), as well as a brief biography that details how they got to where they are in relation to where the rp will jump off. I tend to favor strengths/weaknesses over a personality section, as these are a less broad scope while personality tends to be bigger picture and is harder to stick by ICly. And honestly? Barring important lore/genre details (such as superpowers or magic etc.) that about covers it for me. Simple. Plain. Important info. That's it.

I am similar to Elle in that I like character sheets that are relevant to the story line. I believe in getting the basics, such as name, age, appearance, and a brief background explaining a bit about them but ultimately how they ended up where they are in relation to when the RP starts. I hate when character sheets ask me for relationships, sexual orientation, and likes/dislikes. Sexual orientation and likes/dislikes hold no significance to the roleplay whatsoever; who cares that my character likes cats and why is it that important enough to put on a sheet?

In regard to a Relationships section - I find them silly because unless a predetermined relationship has been established before the IC begins, it's almost impossible to know how characters will react to each other. Even when I think I have an idea of how my character might react to someone, once I actually get into it, it can be different.

I could do with or without a personality section. I do agree with Elle again on strengths/weaknesses but I sometimes see that language and pair it with physical strengths/weaknesses or superhero type things. I've always liked the idea of a Beliefs/Values section, or something about motivation. I actually keep a blurb on my character sheets I don't post with my characters on beliefs/values and motivations to keep their personality consistent throughout the RP.

Another thing I don't like is an inventory list... I think it's trivial. I also think an extensive list of abilities is trivial.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Applo
I agree with the above points. I don't like overly detailed character sheets. I mean, what is the use of a character sheet in the first place? Not only is it a point of reference, but it's a way for me (the GM) to see whose character would fit my vision for the roleplay best. Short and simple is the way to go. If you can pitch your character in the fewest words possible and still make shit entertaining, then you've got something good going.

...I swear it's only partly because I'm lazy.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Applo
I think preferences are completely dependent on what kind of role-play you are doing, and whether or not it's a one-on-one role-play. If the focus is romance or sex, I think mentioning sexual orientation is relevant. More detailed character sheets can also be helpful for one-on-ones. I don't personally do group RPs, so things like listing relationships is alien to me lol.

I don't have ride-or-die preferences. I almost exclusively go with what my partner wants. My go-to is something simple - name, age, gender, brief appearance and personality. Anything genre specific, maybe a brief background if I feel up to it (or if my partner wants to do one). However I also really enjoy making super detailed character sheets for developed characters that I've used in RPs before! A lot of the characters I have made big profiles for I've gotten to know well through writing. I think it's fun to do.

I make detailed sheets... mostly for my own reference because I'm forgetful as shit. 8D

I like a concise one. Not many that I have to fill in. And I also prefer it to not have many restrictions, to the point where your creativity cannot flow. Guidelines are fine, as they provide a box and you are allowed creativity in the box. But not heavy/too many restrictions/directions on how to write/make your character.
I also prefer if there are fields that are optional instead of compulsory. Something I can add to if I want to. Oh. I also prefer if the person doesn't go, "you must follow the format. The Codes. You cannot change them at all." That kinda thing ruffles my jimmies. I've had a few like that before. I think we should be allowed creativity as how we'd like to style it. Who knows, ours might be even better than theirs.
Am I actually answering the question? I'm quite sleepy.

I can write a novelette of a character sheet when the mood takes me, but I tend to chafe some when it's required. It's similar to how I feel about length minimums in IC posts. Make length beyond a single paragraph mandatory, and I just may pass on your game. See, there's the possibility that I could end up distracted by meeting the minimum rather than generating quality, and if it feels too obvious other players are doing the same, I quickly lose interest sifting through lots of filler for the good bits that won't be contradicted in the name of length later.

Tell me to just communicate clearly and have fun within reason, and I may give you multiple pages on the regular!

And sometimes if a character sheet template is too much work, I might take forever to finish, fall hopelessly behind, and then add it to my "rework into something original to publish" pile instead of actually joining the RP.

I actually like "No set template, just tell me the basics (name, age, appearance) and what you feel is relevant" too. I understand it can seem lazy, but for me it can be a sign of trust. It helps keep things focused if the GM communicates the role of PCs well enough beforehand. Still, I do acknowledge there is potential for sandbox paralysis if they don't.

I generally prefer character sheets to actually relate somewhat to the style of game and the GM's intentions. I don't believe most minimalist RPs should have hair-splitting copy-pasta. Now if the idea is we're complex people in a simple premise, that's fine. Requiring players to come up with an extended, detailed family of NPCs that we will never see because you want the game to focus narrowly on just the PCs as a tight-knit party is silly. Do things on purpose, not just because they're the norm.

More likes!

I like when GMs accept both images and written description. Sometimes I just.can't.find. a picture that evokes how I imagine the character... not until long after the game is dead, at least. But when I can, it's a nice time-saver.

I like pre-game character relationships--at least in theory. In practice, I tend to overthink it and worry too much if my ideas will clash with the other players' even though that rarely happens.

I like just-for-fun optional details like imagined English and Japanese voice actors and theme songs too, though my present situation means I don't find much time to ponder that. I smile when I see these.

If a character sheet template is really detailed, then I want to get the feeling that there's a multi-directional flow of ideas and expectations between what the GM communicates in the character sheet template and what players communicate back and to each other with how they fill them.

Unless the game has a really strong psychological focus, I prefer leaving it up to the player if they'd like to pre-define their characters' personality. My reasoning is that, while sometimes my character concepts come with a strong, pre-defined personality, sometimes they don't and I'm wondering which of multiple "versions" of my character should I settle on. To tip the scale, I tend to try and anticipate potential dynamics between PCs: Who can my character gel with? clash with? learn from? mentor? be a humorous foil to? be a tragic mirror to? Basically, whatever's interesting both to me as a writer and hopefully to anyone reading.

Writing out personalities can help with that, but sometimes players drop out(I'm so guilty of this), or they can't quite pull off what they described(I've been guilty of this too), or they just up and decide to change the character's personality altogether to fit some need of the plot. We see it all the time in serial/longform media. Characters' personalities and the backstories that shaped them get retconned on the fly, resulting in Early Installment Weirdness as Characterization Marches On!

Not having to write out my character's personality in excessive detail before the story starts makes me feel better about just rolling with the game as it is instead of feeling obligated to trudge along with what's on the sheet even if it doesn't seem to work when the rubber hits the road.

Maybe I just don't ryt gud enuff yet, but that's how I feel at the moment.

I prefer character sheets with name, age, occupation, picture, and headcanons (basically like facts about your character!) so much! It's simple, easy to read, and headcanons are very open as to what you make of them, whether that be writing in some info about your character's past, or even just putting down a hobby your character loves to do. c:

Things like affiliation and skills I feel are much better suited to fantasy rps, so that's a time I would prefer to see them. Personality is cool, but I feel it takes away from your character trying to make them "stick" to that certain personality in general.

Personally, I adore character sheets. They are fun to make, fun to read, and great to look back on as a cheat sheet. I like to know what I am have an easy place to look back on if I forget their last name, eye color, and abilities. Plus, I am not the type of RPer who likes surprise all the time, so this lets me know somewhat what I am getting into, adjust my character to fit/contrast yours, and having this information helps us plan as a team rather than me independent of you. It also gives me conversations to look forward to!

Personally, just for fun, I would like them to be longer but I know that not many people do like long CSs so this my simplified version. Of course, I hope that people will give me more backstory and personality details, but I try not to push.

This is actually the CS I use 90% of the time, I just add or remove details as needed. For example, I had a fear demon character once, so I added a "Fears:" section to the RP because that is something that MC would know. When my partner has a character with sensitive smell, I always add a "Scent:" section to the CS because that is something that they should know too.

Face Claim (realistic/anime/art or whatever preferred)
Name:
Nickname: (if any)
Appearance: (anything not shown in FC or is different than FC)

Species:
Species Abilities: (at least the ones YC can/will/do use)

Biography: (a paragraph at least)

Personality: (a paragraph at least)

Notable Strengths/Weaknesses:

Other: (anything you think I should know or you just want to share!)

Also, personally, i like character sheets to be fluid. They are a guideline for your character's past and behavior, which means that if something changes IC, I would prefer the CS to be changed to match that. For example, you decide that your character's mother died in the CS but in the RP you realize it makes more since for the father to be the one who died. That's fine! When your character gains an important skill/ability over the RP, I would love it if that was added to the CS so that I can remember that YC has that ability three months from now. Very few people do this, but it would be ideal.

I like character sheets as a reference for other players and the GM (or between RP partners)! I can understand why people might prefer to only express characters through in-character RP. I personally like using character sheets, though. As a player in a group RP, they show me what the rest of the cast is like, and how my character could compliment or contrast with them. As a GM in a group RP, they show me what players would like to focus on in the story. And as a 1x1 partner, they help me reference how our characters look and act.

While I'm probably in the minority on this, I love writing lots of seemingly-frivolous details about my characters. Their mannerisms, their favorite foods, the contents of their wardrobe, whether their beds are made or messy and what kind of covers. That said, it's unlikely you'd need to know those things before you started the RP. So I only ask for this information from my longtime 1x1 partners, who also enjoy lots of little details like that, and even then it's optional. I leave it out of the CS for group RPs I play in, because I don't want other players to have to sift through things they probably don't find relevant. Even though I like writing it, I can't imagine why it'd be crucial knowledge.

I prefer not to write "personality" in paragraph form. It leads to me padding two or three traits into a paragraph apiece, which I find unhelpful to read and tedious to write. From prior experience, I know I'm not the only one who has this issue. That said, I do think it's important for other players and the GM (or your RP partner) to have a good idea of how your character acts before the RP starts. Here are some alternatives I've found more useful to describe character personality:
  • A list of 4-6 traits, each written as a sentence or two, like: "Finds it hard to hold in her emotions. Prone to loud laughter, inconsolable tears, and occasionally in-your-face rage, all after a few seconds of ineffectually trying to contain it." This is my favorite way to describe personality, because it lets me fit in evocative details without feeling pressured for length.
  • A list of strengths and weaknesses. I also enjoy a list of neutral traits, because most traits can't be mapped into "always helpful" and "always detrimental." (In fact, I'd argue that if you take any trait too far, it's easy for it to hurt someone, or at least be exploited.)
  • Specific facets of personality, such as what they're afraid of, what their sense of humor is like, their attitude about combat or confrontation, or other things relevant to the RP. As long as this isn't too long (I'd keep it at 5 or fewer items), and all of it is relevant to the RP, I think this is a good way to "get to the point" and learn what you need to know about character behavior.
  • A character writing prompt about a situation that fits the RP. For example, for a fantasy adventure RP, "Your character needs to get into the castle, but the guards turn them away. How does your character get in?" This doubles as a writing sample, which is something I appreciate as a GM. Still, it raises the barrier for entry to your RP, because a new, character-specific writing sample takes time and energy.

Also! I haven't seen anyone in this thread talk about it yet, but... magic/powers/hi-tech/etc in character sheets. I have a number of opinions on this, because I am drawn to RPs with fantasy, sci-fi, or similar settings. I've enjoyed both playing and GMing in these RPs. If you're a GM asking players to make their own superpowers, spells, or other Wondrous Stuff for their characters, here are a few things that I've found make the process easier for you and prospective players:
  • If your RP is in an original setting, give examples of Wondrous Stuff with acceptable power levels. And possibly a few examples of Wondrous Stuff that's too strong, large-scale, or otherwise unbalanced. For this purpose, you might also list the inspirations for your original setting, if the Wondrous Stuff from those stories would show the players what's too weak or too powerful.
  • Those examples are also a good way to show how detailed players' Wondrous Stuff descriptions need to be. Is it important to know their character can create bursts of fire from their hands, can blast it over long distances, can't manipulate it except directly after its creation, and gets a fever if they make too much fire? Or is it fine and workable to say "Power: Flame Sniper"?
  • Asking for the limits of a Wondrous Thing is a good idea. But it's even better if you ask questions like "how might this Wondrous Attack be blocked or countered?" that are relevant to your specific RP. If you only ask for "a limit", people tend to give vague answers, because that's a vague request.
  • I'd ask what I need to know to tell if a Wondrous Thing is a good fit for the RP, and only that much. It's probably not necessary to ask for a cinematic description of how the character performs their Wondrous Finishing Attack, detailing their movements, timing, and magical visual effects.

I guess my tl;dr with all of this is:

The more details you ask for, the harder your RP becomes to enter and start. So I think it's best to only require information that's so important that it'd cause problems if it wasn't defined.