How do you feel about the name your parents gave you?

I have no strong preference on the common spelling of my name. I'm just bothered my parents decided to spell it in an odd way. Nobody ever spells it right. >:[

Reactions: Diana
I'm an Eric (supposedly my parents read that it meant 'rich and powerful', so you know where their priorities were at). The name's been mostly good to me, and I'm also pleased that it wasn't 'Erik', not because I think it's worse, but because it's significantly more viking, which seems at odds with my appearance.

Major cons:
- perpetually being the most common name in my year throughout grade and high school (I was actually super good friends with the other three Eric/Erik/Ericks, so that was funny).
- my little brother and my childhood best friend both, without collaboration, thought up of 'Air-Dick' and thought it was a clever little nickname.

The name doesn't really have like... major pros, but it's been swell enough, and sounds better in the bedroom than one would expect.
I'm an Erik! And I rather like it.

That's actually NOT the name my parents gave me, but it's close. Long story short, I elected to fix it to something less cringe-y. My mother wanted to nickname me Ricky, so I think that tells you how questionable her taste is.

Mainly I go by my actual nickname, though, which is Oz (or Ozzie).

If it wouldn't be a pain in the ass to change it I would. /shrug

My namesake is a Greek deity. It's not a particularly masculine name nor is it gender neutral, which is where my discomfort comes from. Otherwise, I think it's a cool name. Just not for me.

I still haven't decided what I'd actually want to be called by, but my folks would have named me 'Ian' had things been different.

I wish my father had prevailed, but alas my mom did. I don't mind Lori, but my dad wanted the name Lorelei which was the name of my great, great, great, great grandmother. Still...it's not a bad name..lol.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Nemopedia and Diana
So, here's the story of I started as Mimmi and ended up as Johanna; My parents had troubles giving me a name for some reason before I was born. They did decide Mimmi if I came out as a girl and Pontus if I was a boy. I'm Swedish and I believe that these names are quite common in Scandinavia. However, my dad freaked out right before I was born. He realized there was a show (or something) called Mimmi's burger. He didn't want his daughter to get teased because of this show so they switched it to Johanna instead. I've been more teased about being named Johanna -.-

I didn't know about this until I was 5 or maybe even 7, and I was so mad at my parents when they told me that my original name was Mimmi ;_; Johanna sounds so meh to me. Although, I grew to be fond of my name, but nowadays people call me by my nickname Moppsi so I barely realize people talk about me whenever they call me by Johanna lol. TLDR; I like my name, but I'm still a lil upset that I wasn't named Mimmi :[

I like my name. It's common enough that people know someone with the name, but uncommon enough that I've only ever had a class with another of my name exactly once- for like three months. I like the meaning, too.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Don't like it. Don't like the sound of it. And it's way too common of a name. Growing up, there were always at least 1-2 other girls in my class with the same first name as me. I've never really identified with it closely.

This is why I honestly go by "Kaga" IRL, at least among friends. Now that's a name that really feels like me. And I like the hard K sound at the start of it, too.

• Bucket of Rainbows
I love my name. As much as my dad likes to take credit for naming me it was all my mom. I feel it suits me well. Now what I don't like is when people mispronounce it, I correct them politely where afterward they proceed to tell me since your name is spelled like that it should be how I said it no no no nope lol.

• Bucket of Rainbows
My birthname means "Pure." In the context of the way my obsessive mother raised me, it's pretty alarming: she wanted me to be her perfect porcelain doll, not a real person. Even into my 20s she continued to try and control me and mold me into her perfect pet. We are now estranged. Not to sound dramatic, but it was really messed up lol. I was named after an aunt; I doubt my mother knew the name meaning when she gave it to me, but that doesn't make it less disturbing. Growing up, I hated it even before I learned the meaning.

As luck would have it, I'm transgender and have changed it to Kiefer recently. A much better fit.

• Bucket of Rainbows
I love my name, both given and surname. I especially loved my surname because it was fun scaring people with it as a kid :'D

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Diana and Nemopedia
I like my name. Not too happy about who I share it with sometimes, but I like it and feel like it fits. I've also got two middle names, which is always a fun conversation topic :P
As do I! It makes I.D. cards a hassle, though.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Nemopedia
It seems my parents weren't the only ones naming their children after the saints, and even though the name is a bit too common, it is still dope as hell. A streak of people through my life keep confusing my first name with one that sounds completely different, and I have no idea how the hell they are doing it. Whole thing is uncanny, I swear.

Middle name'd after my father.

Last name is a bit of a headache for me cause lots of people confuse it with a really similar sounding one - it's just one syllable, but mine is 100% cooler; no bias. It bears name of a sacred river from where my folk supposedly originated, but also sounds like a very rare and perhaps imaginary profession (or two).

When abbreviated, my full name read like acronym for fun little word, and I like it. I also like the fact that no one in the elementary took a notice :-]

• Bucket of Rainbows
I've always felt very detached from my name, ever since I was a child. Whenever I have to say it I have this strange sense of embarrassment even though my name is relatively pretty. Everyone says "oh that's a pretty name!" Aaaaall the time and someone inevitably says they have a niece or daughter or cousin named like this, cause it's somewhat rare.

It's spelled "Daphnée", my mother added the second e cause in French it looks more feminine. However it's pronounced different in French than in English thanks to the "é", so it's always been a petpeeve when someone says it like "Daph-knee" when it's actually pronounced "Daph-nay". I don't bother correcting people anymore though.

As for my last names, one of them is very rare outside of my home region, it's only three letters but no one can pronounce it or spell it. So it's always a habit to spell out my last name, even before someone asks. My second last name is typically a first name and it's shared with a famous person so I often get that comment as well.