How do people feel about voting on ideas?

Mythy the Dragon-Wolf

Hopeless Romantic
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
MYTHICAL MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. One post per day
  2. 1-3 posts per week
Writing Levels
  1. Beginner
  2. Elementary
  3. Intermediate
  4. Adept
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Male
I think this is the right place to ask. If not I apologize.

I have recently made a thread in the group interest checks, but it was a poll on which of my ideas I should do, rather than for a single idea. I haven't gotten too many responses beyond the friends of mine I sent the link to, so I have been wondering if I should just pick an idea and make a check for that.

However, I am having trouble picking an idea, thus the poll in the first place. My question is - is there something about polls with short summaries that puts people off over a single idea a bit more worked out? Or is this just my eagerness/impatience psyching me out once more?

I vote eagerness and impatience. You haven’t posted the thread that long ago. Tuesday is only a few days past. Otherwise I find polls to figure out what roleplay idea is at the moment more popular helps a lot, but have the disadvantage that the GM just doesn’t seem as committed to the crowd as they would be if they had a clear idea for a single rp. Of course that’s just an assumption and doesn’t have to be the case.

Personally I also go by posts in the thread (bad, don’t follow my example!) but if I were to glance at your thread I wouldn’t say that only two declared their interest, but a crowd did and you are good to go so I don’t snoop further. Interest Checks are for announcing interest and maybe one or two quick questions in my opinion, and that reflects to how I skim and scout. I don’t know if that is the case for others, but it surely is for me.

@Nemopedia

Thanks for your advice. I've always thought interest checks were to actually get a full group for an idea, but maybe I've had the wrong opinion in this case?

Either way, if I may ask for a touch more advice - two of my ideas have two votes each. Honestly I would like to do them all, but since I don't want to get in trouble for making a thread for each of them, that's why I made the vote. Anyway. Do you think that two votes is enough reason to make a sign up thread? If so, I could say that I have my first two to try already.

EDIT: Or is this again my eagerness/impatience and I should give it a day or two more? Or maybe longer...

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice. I've always thought interest checks were to actually get a full group for an idea, but maybe I've had the wrong opinion in this case?
As I said in my post, that’s just my opinion of it! I’m sure plenty do approach it the same way you do.

As for the rest. That really is up to yourself. Whether to decide to push forward now or not, if to push out both ideas, or only one. I really can’t say anything about that, nor do I want to be able to say anything in regards to that.

Maybe pull the ones who voted to the side and discuss something with them? See what they want and how that aligns with what you want.

I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide to do!