How do I improve my grammar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rare

Original poster
As you may/may not know, English isn't my first language. Which means that my writing has grammar mistakes and other issues. Lately, it has become an issue for some on another roleplaying site--which I will not be naming but you might know it.

In one of my posts, I made some errors and someone freaked out. They told me that I made a mistake and I said that I will overlook them. Due to finals, I haven't been able to fix them. Then out of nowhere, this user posts my post from the roleplay with the correct grammar. I thank her for doing that and said that I need to work on it during my break.

The people of Iwaku, I need help with my grammar and on ways to improve it. I use the website, Paper Rater, to help me and all. But, I need more help and advice. So, please help me?​

Your grammar seems fine to me, but hey, I guess some people are sticklers. I learned just by reading an absolute fucktonne. Eventually you just get a feel for what sounds right or wrong.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
The best way to improve is to just keep writing posts, and then periodically check for errors using grammar guides! Like "today I am going to hunt for punctuation errors." or "today I am looking for fucked up sentence structure." And eventually your grammar improves naturally!

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Well, for starters, you kind of have to accept when people correct you. They are literally just trying to fix your grammar and prevent you from making the same mistake again. It's best to follow their advice.

Secondly, uh... here, this is relevant;

More serious note: There are actually quite a few grammar guides here on Iwaku. Try checking them out maybe?

Overall, though, your grammar looks mostly ok to me. It's probably just a few small things you're having problems with. In which case, just learn from the mistakes anytime someone tries to correct you, and make note of what the correct thing would be.

I need to you show the posts, so you can get a sense of what my writing style is like. You could also read my resume.

Javier then decided to sit down on the ground next to the written words on the wall. He had been walking for almost an hour or more, shouldn't he deserve a break. Looking around, he could see the other members of the team spreading out. Christina was walking towards the flare, that he threw earlier, and Red was just being herself as always. Even known they haven't met before all of this, he knew that Red and anyone else weren't getting along right away; but once they get to know each other—or get used to being with them—, they (being Javier and the others) might become good friends.

Suddenly, a light appeared on the subway train and Javier quickly stool up from the ground. He grabbed his MP9 pistol and quickly aim it at the train. Until, a soldier—another female—appeared for the train and walked into the group. Javier raised one eyebrow at the woman as she said 'howdy' and then asked for some gum. Red was confused at the sight of the soldier for the train and then just walked away from the train to the tents. Awkward silence followed after the introduction, Javier walked up to her and said with a confused tone, "Hello.".

Suddenly, Javier was cut off by Warren as he gave her some gum, which she accepted and put it inside one of the pockets on her. Javier sighed resignedly at the present of Warren, such he was a great fighter and technician; but, he seems to enjoy humor more than work (based off on the hour spent getting to know him and the others). Warren called out her name and said that the girl was going to join the team. Javier must of forgot to mention the new girl on the team; thankfully, Warren just told them anyways. But then, he does something that grinds Javier's teeth. He just calls in the command and tells him that we had her—without his approval. You don't do things without the leader's approval and that was a big issue for Javier.

Javier started to sigh again as he was getting even more worried (and still upset because of Warren) since they are standing in a dark tunnel with barely any light source. All of this tension was just getting to him, he needs to see the light again and just rest; but, they have to go to the police station and make a stop at the UN building for equipment pickup from the new girl. She can make any excuse up, they are going no matter what. Tracie didn't have the standard gear—even if she was from Ghost Recon. They didn't have access to the current equipment that the Division has. Plus, they have to check into the HQ because of standard protocol of The Division. Every agent has to check into the HQ database by signing in at the HQ—not by radio them that they are in the city.

He was going to say something to the new girl; however, she mentioned about the current state of the city. People have either joined gangs or live like rats, streets cleared of life form. Javier became even more worried about being the leader and scared of the gangs, because he just didn't want to kill people trying to survive—unless they fire back first. After she was answering Warren's question, they go to the dead body and check it out. Now, it was finally time for Javier to take for the first time.

"Alright, listen up." he said loudly enough that his voice should of got the group's awareness towards him, "Now that we got our the new girl, we need to go to the police station. Then, we will check in at the United Nations building and we will debrief after signing into HQ. We can't do it over the radio because of standard protocol that The Division has." He then looked towards Warren and said loudly as if they were talking, "Plus, we were supposed to be in radio silence. Don't use it, unless it's an emergency. Got it?".

Jaiver didn't hate Warren, he just dislikes for what he did and hope that he never does it again. Now that was over, he began to walk towards the new girl and said to her with a serious tone, "Welcome to the team, Armond. When we are at the UN building, we will get you the right equipment and make such that it's updated and usable. The CIA didn't even know about The Division and the updates to the equipment until the President signed it and The Division was already established. You don't get to have a say about it, because we are going with or without your word.".

He realized that his outburst was harsh and said to her, "Sorry about that outburst, just being in this dark tunnel for about an hour is driving me a bit crazy. Once we get back to the surface, I should get back to normal.".

Javier then decided to sit down on the ground next to the written words on the wall. He had been walking for almost an hour or more, shouldn't he deserve a break? Looking around, he could see the other members of the team spreading out. Christina was walking towards the flare, that he threw earlier, and Red was just being herself as always. Even though they hadn't met before all of this, he knew that Red and anyone else weren't getting along right away; but once they get to know each other—or get used to being with them—, they (being Javier and the others) might become good friends.

Suddenly, a light appeared on the subway train and Javier quickly stood up from the ground. He grabbed his MP9 pistol and quickly aimed it at the train. Until, a soldier—another female—appeared from the train and walked into the group. Javier raised one eyebrow at the woman as she said 'howdy' and then asked for some gum. Red was confused at the sight of the soldier from the train and then just walked away from the train to the tents. Awkward silence followed after the introduction, Javier walked up to her and said with a confused tone, "Hello.".

Suddenly, Javier was cut off by Warren as he gave her some gum, which she accepted and put it inside one of the pockets on her. Javier sighed resignedly at the present of Warren, such he was a great fighter and technician; but, he seemed to enjoy humor more than work (based off on the hour spent getting to know him and the others). Warren called out her name and said that the girl was going to join the team. Javier must of forgot to mention the new girl on the team; thankfully, Warren just told them anyways. But then, he does something that grinds Javier's teeth. He just calls in the command and tells him that we had her—without his approval. You don't do things without the leader's approval and that was a big issue for Javier.

Javier started to sigh again as he was getting even more worried (and still upset because of Warren) since they are standing in a dark tunnel with barely any light source. All of this tension was just getting to him, he needs to see the light again and just rest; but, they have to go to the police station and make a stop at the UN building for equipment pickup from the new girl. She can make any excuse up, they are going no matter what. Tracie didn't have the standard gear—even if she was from Ghost Recon. They didn't have access to the current equipment that the Division has. Plus, they have to check into the HQ because of standard protocol of The Division. Every agent has to check into the HQ database by signing in at the HQ—not by radio them that they are in the city.

{I wonder why Tracie wouldn't have Division equipment if she'd just led a Division squad days before.}

He was going to say something to the new girl; however, she mentioned about the current state of the city. People have either joined gangs or live like rats, streets cleared of life form. Javier became even more worried about being the leader and scared of the gangs, because he just didn't want to kill people trying to survive—unless they fire back first. After she was answering Warren's question, they go to the dead body and check it out. Now, it was finally time for Javier to talk for the first time.

"Alright, listen up." he said loudly enough that his voice should of got the group's awareness towards him, "Now that we got our the new girl, we need to go to the police station. Then, we will check in at the United Nations building and we will debrief after signing into HQ. We can't do it over the radio because of standard protocol that The Division has." He then looked towards Warren and said loudly as if they were talking, "Plus, we were supposed to be in radio silence. Don't use it, unless it's an emergency. Got it?".

Jaiver didn't hate Warren, he just dislikes for what he did and hope that he never does it again. Now that was over, he began to walk towards the new girl and said to her with a serious tone, "Welcome to the team, Armond. When we are at the UN building, we will get you the right equipment and make sure that it's updated and usable. The CIA didn't even know about The Division and the updates to the equipment until the President signed it and The Division was already established. You don't get to have a say about it, because we are going with or without your word.".

{So you're saying that the Central Intelligence Agency, the organization who's job it is to collect information, was blind to the POTUS' actions during a crisis? Unlikely.}

He realized that his outburst was harsh and said to her, "Sorry about that outburst, just being in this dark tunnel for about an hour is driving me a bit crazy. Once we get back to the surface, I should get back to normal.

I do feel a bit like a piece of shit if someone has to do this much work to get a point out. But, I am doing something about it unlike other users.

EDIT:
Well, for starters, you kind of have to accept when people correct you. They are literally just trying to fix your grammar and prevent you from making the same mistake again. It's best to follow their advice.
Of course I accept the help, I don't block it or tell them that they are wrong or dumbasses for it.

Really the best way to improve is with practice. Keep writing and READING and you will improve. Read a lot, that's my suggestion. If you see the way a sentence is supposed to properly be worded than it will come more naturally to you when its time for you to write out a similar sentence structure. Hope that helps some.

Read more books in English.

Do more writing in English. Maybe write an in-character blog post and ask people to check it for you.

Read more books in English.

Do more writing in English. Maybe write an in-character blog post and ask people to check it for you.
An in-character blog post? I take it that I post the 'blog' at the roleplay institute?

But, what is an in-character blog post? Is it like a blog, but you write as your character? Care to explain about it?

An in-character blog post? I take it that I post the 'blog' at the roleplay institute?

But, what is an in-character blog post? Is it like a blog, but you write as your character? Care to explain about it?
See that bar at the top with forums, groups, characters, etc? Every member has a blog they can write whatever they want in.

I've seen character sheets, poetry, rants, and those sort of things.

It's just a roleplay post by yourself. Also known as writing. Make it a short story. Give it a little plot that you write out alone.

It is quite literally just a place to write freely and ask for advice on ways to improve.

Fairly sure I remember @Minibit having an editing service or something similar posted a while ago. Maybe they can help as well.

Write and use THIS as a resource.

I looked at the post and its corrections from the person. They really didn't correct much, as far as I can see with a quick comparison. They fixed a few word mix ups, of the kind that a spelling check wouldn't mark as wrong because they were real words rather than misspelled words. At one point they changed a present tense verb into a past tense verb, but they left all the other tense problems stay as they were. Those notes they added in brackets were consistency errors, nothing to do with grammar.

After seeing an example of your roleplay writing, I highly suggest you do as others have said: read English fiction, use grammar guides, and ask for help from friendly folks where possible. On top of that, make sure to read over your posts after they've been run through a spelling check, preferably out loud rather than silently in order to easily catch mistaken words. Other than doing those things, it's just a matter of time, practice, and experience.

Reading lots and lots is the key. Read material that you find interesting and that is of a certain standard.
I don't know how much English you write on a weekly basis, but I would not advice you to start writing more than you already do if you already roleplay in said language regurarly (and if your posts are usually as long as the one you've showed us here). I would advice you to shorten the length of your posts and take it from there*. Your vocabulary will gradually pick up as you read material that interests you.

English is my second language also. I don't know about you, but reading grammar books does not sound very motivating. It does not seem like a necessary tool in this scenario. Unless I'm wrong and you really would like to give it a try. It could be of help since you already seem to have good writing skills.

Lingq.com could be a good place to gather more words. I highly recommend it.

Honestly, I'm terrible at grammar. I don't know the rules! I don't know the difference between a subject and a predicate, or any of that stuff. I always just gravitated towards what felt/sounded right, and that's how I passed my English classes.

Just read-read-read, and write-write-write. You'll get it. It starts becoming... natural. It flows like... like water.

I don't know the difference between a subject and a predicate,

I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR AN OPPORTUNITY TO LINK ONE OF THESE FOR WAY TOO LONG;

THIS. THIS WILL TEACH YOU. SCHOOL HOUSE ROCK FTW.

A shame this is one of their weaker songs, though. Why couldn't you have asked about nouns or adverbs or something? *gasp* OR CONJUNCTIONS! That's easily one of their best!

But seriously though. SHR is the reason why I was one of the only kids in my 4th grade English class who actually knew all the parts of speech. I have quite a bit of love for the series, and I know the lyrics to all the songs way too well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.