How do I Eggplant?!

Discussion in 'THREAD ARCHIVES' started by Minibit, Jun 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i bought an eggplant cause it was in a discount bag with some onions which I needed, but I've never cooked with it before!

I tried steaming it with rice and then stirring it in alongside some tomato and onion and mushrooms but I couldn't really taste it and it got all soggy :/

Someone teach me a SIMPLE, CHEAP way to eggplant!

Food I have on hand:
    Tomato sauce
    Parmesan (but not a lot)
    Ground beef
    Pork chops
  2. Fried! Omg....fried eggplant is amazing. My grandpa used to make it all the time and I would eat it as soon as he got it on the plate. All you need is some flour, salt and pepper, egg and oil. My grandpa used to add something else, but I can't remember for the life of me what it was. I think it might have been garlic, but I'm not sure.
    • Love Love x 1
  3. Eggplant. Or as I like to call it "the Queen of Vegetables". (Totally stole that from a book)

I absolutely love it. It tastes great fried, with batter, I've even used it on pizza.

Mostly what I do is coat it with oil and then set it in a pan, bake it on the highest heat until the skin is black and crispy. When you peel the skin away, inside it's all soft and cooked :D Scoop it out, add spices, use it as a dip, spread, side dish. Or make it into a curry like me :bsmile:
  4. Method?? :o
  5. Slice up the eggplant and dip it in either egg or milk depending on what your preference is. Milk doesn't have the same stickiness that egg does, so you might have to double coat it with the flour mix. If I remember right, my grandpa would coat it with flour, then sprinkle each piece with a little salt and pepper rather than mixing them all together. He mostly because my mom didn't like salt on hers. Then you just toss it in the oil for a few minutes, or until the edges are golden brown, flip it over and pull it out once the other side is done. You don't even need a whole lot of oil, just enough to coat the bottom of a frying pan, or a little more depending on how thick the slices you make are.
    • Thank Thank x 1
  6. Fried eggplant is good. Also baking it is good. I slice them in half, then bake for a like 20 minutes, pull them out pull them out of the skin (keep the skin though) and add cheese, chicken, tomato, onions all that jazz mix it up put it back in the skin and bake for another 15 minutes.
    • Love Love x 2
  7. Oh yeah, I forgot. He kept cut the skin off before he fried them.
  8. If you're going to fry it, you might as well make eggplant tempura.
    Cut it into 1cm thick slices, dip it in. I don't know how well regular flour works, but mix it with water, cornstarch, some egg yolks before frying.

Add salt to taste. I personally hate eggplant, but tempura is the only way I can stomach it.
  9. Toss it in a trash can. >:[

Eggplant is the one thing that exists on this earth I cannot eat. Something about the taste and the texture make me gag.

I have eaten all kinds of crazy shit. Duck fetus, snake, turtle, dog... eggplant I just cannot. Even fried eggplant I can't eat. And if you can't eat something fried, you must really not like it.

To the garbage it goes, I say.
  10. That's because none of the crazy shit you've eaten were vegetables. You carnivore you :D
  11. I've had crazy vegetables too! But they're generally unremarkable.
  12. I don't like eggplant, but my mom makes this.
  13. Whatever you do, I heard you should slice the eggplant, salt it in a colander, let it sit and then cover it with a paper towel, and press it down in a pan with something heavy like some food cans to press out the bitter liquid for around 20 minutes.

Oh, and don't forget to rinse the eggplant once this is all done to get rid of the salt and the last of that icky bitter taste!~
  14. I'm disappointed by the lack of dick jokes.

But to actually contribute to the topic, you could try making babaganoush.

I've never tried making it (or even eating it) but I saw this video once and thought it seemed neat.

• Love Love x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.