Original poster
MYTHICAL MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. One post per week
  2. Slow As Molasses
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Sooo I was planning on cancelling my recurring donation around the beginning of last month. I went to my account upgrades page and saw that my recurring donation was already set to expire on March 16th. So I was like, "ok, cool, I guess I don't have to do anything." (And it didn't seem unreasonable to think that my recurring donation would automatically expire around this time, since, iirc, I first became a donator in March 2017, aka one year prior)

But obviously the 16th has passed and I still have donator status. So I went back to my account upgrades page to see if my donation wasn't cancelled or if there was just some crazy lag time on my account changing or something, and I noticed this:

rpZIjex.png

The part that now says "April 16th"? It used to say March. Which means my donation is always set to "expire" one month after my last donation went through. Which means it doesn't actually expire -- the date just gets pushed back a month each time.

This leaves me with a question and a comment.

QUESTION*: how do I actually cancel my recurring donation? I tried checking the FAQs page, and it assured me that I can cancel a recurring donation, but didn't tell me how...

COMMENT: The "expiration" date on the donation status is a bit misleading in how it's phrased. o_o Perhaps that could be edited to something that creates less confusion...?

*DISCLAIMER: It is entirely possible that I'm being stupid and missing a very obvious button or link or something that would allow me to cancel my donation. I've been rather short on sleep lately. Please be patient with my tired Kag brain.

Did you check in your profile under account upgrades? That's all I can find in the FAQ but I can't actually test it cause I'm not a reoccurring donar!

Also something to try, if you are using PayPal, you can cancel directly from your PayPal homepage. (:

Did you check in your profile under account upgrades? That's all I can find in the FAQ but I can't actually test it cause I'm not a reoccurring donar!

Yes, the account upgrades page was where I found the thing that I took a screenshot of.

For the comment: that's not custom language on our part, that's recurring subscription terminology. I'm sorry that you ended up paying a month more than you wanted to, but the "expires" for the current subscription is to indicate the day that it will renew itself basically so people can cancel before that day and not be uncertain about things like trying to cancel right after it renews and when their upgrades will lapse.

As for canceling it, I think if you click on the payment subscription button there it should take you into Paypal login things again and you can cancel it through Paypal.

Setting up the payments to auto-renew appears to be handled on Paypal's end rather than the Xenforo one (so recurring subscriptions happens on the Paypal account) and have to be canceled on the Paypal screen. If you're unclear where/how let me know - I have a helpful screenshot if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure we actually CAN edit the language that states "expires on", but I'll look into it. That is confusing.

I know you've cancelled the subscription successfully at this point, but would you like a refund of the $5 you spent accidentally?

I'm not sure we actually CAN edit the language that states "expires on", but I'll look into it. That is confusing.

I know you've cancelled the subscription successfully at this point, but would you like a refund of the $5 you spent accidentally?

Nah, it was just $5. I can live without. XD But thanks for the offer.