How do I ask a partner to make longer posts?

• Thread starter MolecularMachine
  • Start date
M

MolecularMachine

Original poster
I'm in the middle of a 1x1 role play regarding a concept I have great interest in. My posts are no shorter than two paragraphs and, in one case, I posted a whole page and change. My partner's posts are consistently one paragraph long, no matter how long my posts are. I want to see this concept through, but the lack of detail in the responses frustrates and disheartens me. How can I persuade my partner to write posts of greater length? Should I look for a new partner?

Tell them that you are enjoying the roleplay concept, but that their posts are so short, that you're having a hard time finding something to build off of to be able to write responses. Sometimes people don't realize they aren't giving partners enough to work with!

If they aren't sure how to add more content in their posts, you can refer them to a few of our really nice workshops or exercises here in the Institute. The Writing a Roleplay Post workshop has a good basic list.

And if additional description and scene building doesn't seem to help (either because they can't/won't, or because it's not enough for you) you may just be lacking partner chemistry. That happens! You just keep hunting down roleplay partners until you find people who match your roleplaying style. 8D