How Dark Are You? (a fun litle quiz I run across)

Status
Not open for further replies.
2015-12-08_19-50-53_zpseecys0mi.jpg

Not too surprising, I generally try to help people rather than harm them when needed.

The only things I think I said that could possibly go against me here was hard bluntness/honesty.
Which made me say stuff like "Secrets should be shared", "People should know stuff that hurts them" and "I can be mean at times".

How did you ppl link the result pic here? I tryed that but the link gets broken every time.

How did you ppl link the result pic here? I tryed that but the link gets broken every time.
I just screenshot it and then uploaded it to Photobucket.

• Thank You
Reactions: Marchosias
Moderately nefarious. Mostly from my apparent machiavellianism.

Great.
Not such a bad thing so as long as it is tempered by the wisdom of experience.

Not such a bad thing so as long as it is tempered by the wisdom of experience.
I'd actually argue most people are happier when manipulated. It eases choices, compacts the information they take in and requires less responsibility and reflection. I don't think these 'comforts' allow for much growth, which is kind of what irks me about it. At the same time, most people don't really want to grow. They'd be running around like headless chickens, without that guiding hand with a dirty name.

Good and evil scales are silly, ultimately.

Infrequently vile

You are infrequently vile – you mostly put others before yourself, though you may find occasions in which your dark side shines.

With my highest score being in machiavellianism.

I'd actually argue most people are happier when manipulated. It eases choices, compacts the information they take in and requires less responsibility and reflection. I don't think these 'comforts' allow for much growth, which is kind of what irks me about it. At the same time, most people don't really want to grow. They'd be running around like headless chickens, without that guiding hand with a dirty name.

Agreed. There is usually just selfishness and altruism with most individuals, although it takes just the right tipping of the scales (i.e. fear) to make others act in a certain manner. Then we ask about morality and call it subjective on most topics.

Glad we have an understanding. <3

mq8BXpj.png

I think the only reason I got so high on Machiavellian is because I work with kids almost every day of the week, and some of them need a stronger hand. That tends to translate to how I deal with adults as well, because we're all just really tall children with anxiety and responsibility. Narcissism seems to be in a good place to me, honestly. Today is good for me so far, so I have a healthy respect for myself and my abilities.

Reactions: Brovo and Esmeray
I downloaded a program called lightshot that not screenshots my entire screen, I can frame what I want it to copy, it will the download it and upload it to their website. It also provides you with a link that you can copy. ^^

I highly recommend downloading it, and its free.

• Thank You
Reactions: Marchosias

There's a reason certain individuals are able to lead the masses, why mob mentality and peer pressure happens :P

As much as some people won't want to admit it, most ultimately just want the illusion of independence.
The easiness of just being told what to do, think, behave etc is too tempting.

There's a reason certain individuals are able to lead the masses, why mob mentality and peer pressure happens :P

As much as some people won't want to admit it, most ultimately just want the illusion of independence.
Which makes complete sense. Mob mentality/peer pressure is a shortcut to functioning in an environment with a complexity far beyond what our brains biologically evolved to. Fear causes people to look for safety (AKA groups) however instead of sabretooth tigers it's the complexity of our environment that intimidates us. There is a lot that goes against our primal instincts in the world we live in.

The desire for independence, ironically harks back to more collectivist times. Be it hunter/gatherer or caretaker, or blacksmith, tailor or soldier. It was much easier to recognise your own purpose in the past, whereas now that purpose is very vague. People knew who they were and what their contribution to their society was because they could directly see the impact. Nowadays, though? Not so much. Especially considering how long some of us spend in schools before going out there. This makes people really hungry for purpose. It's to establish identity.

People are strange.

• Love
Reactions: Brovo
The desire for independence, ironically harks back to more collectivist times. Be it hunter/gatherer or caretaker, or blacksmith, tailor or soldier. It was much easier to recognise your own purpose in the past, whereas now that purpose is very vague. People knew who they were and what their contribution to their society was because they could directly see the impact. Nowadays, though? Not so much. Especially considering how long some of us spend in schools before going out there. This makes people really hungry for purpose. It's to establish identity.
Which explains a lot.
People spending so long just preparing rather than actually taking part, and once they do take part our society has gotten so big that many paths of work don't actually show the results.

Though there's also the element that as our technology advanced we required less people to handle survival needs like food, which gave us more room for new jobs and careers to pop up, and eventually more leisure time. Which all goes back to giving people more time to think about identity and purpose rather than simply surviving.

Which all goes back to giving people more time to think about identity and purpose rather than simply surviving.
Except that just time by itself doesn't do that. To have an identity means to do, but to do much without some form of external feedback or appreciation is quite difficult. I mean sure, you need time for anything, so freeing it up by dropping task X in order to focus on task Y is dandy and all. However, just because there is more time for task Y doesn't mean there is motivation for task Y.

Also, as anyone following any kind of regular fitness regiment will tell you; you make time.

This is getting horribly off-topic, though ;p

In other vords, most ppl are blind, impresionable sheep. Unfortunatly I have to agree. And it pisses me off to no end vhen I think about it. That is literaly the only reason a smal group of rich manipulative motherfuckers can run the world and do shit at the expense of everyone else. I hate manipulation. Literaly. Hate. It. (and it showed in my result, my Machiavelian score vas less then half). If ppl had any sense at all (some do, but a very smal minority unfortunatly), they'd spit those disgusting oligarchic parasites on stakes publicly and have them bleed out slowly. Basicly Vlad Tepes style, but in this case fuly waranted. And its stil a LOT beter then they deserve.

Pathetic, isnt it? One reason why if there is a easy way and a hard way of doing something, I'l choose the hard one. It builds resolve and character, and boosts one's self-worth. In todays vorld, every single thing is designed to make life easier. Why? Take a guess. To erode ppls resolve even more then it already is. I hate that tendency, and I fight it anyvhere and everyvhere I can.
Which all goes back to giving people more time to think about identity and purpose rather than simply surviving.
And it wuld be a great thing... assuming most ppl had any desire to do that. But noooo they are too lazy for that... they'r content to just survive, vegetate, and live in the status quo. They are happy having their identity and purpose decided for them. Shameful.

Wel... not me. Nobody... No. Body. decides anything for me. Ever. Or tell me how to think and vhat to do. I'm the only one to do that for myself. Oh sure, they can try... and they'l regret it. Guess thats why my Narcissism and especialy Psychopathy vere way above average. Good! Also gives me a fascinating insight in-to vhat kind of ppl designed this test - those who consider decisivenes, self-worth, and vigilance to be negative "nefarious" aspects. Fat chance.

And no, I dont think we strayed off-topic here, its just a natural discusion in-to the implications of the results gotten in the test.

shockingly_saintly_by_sir_finhawk-d9jo3cf.png

I call bullshit! I'm the biggest and baddest monster there ever was!

I'm eating poor innocent pandas right now for heaven's sake! Fear me mortals for I shall devour you all one day!

tumblr_lv9a2t0Ije1qdzp7b.gif

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Except that just time by itself doesn't do that. To have an identity means to do, but to do much without some form of external feedback or appreciation is quite difficult. I mean sure, you need time for anything, so freeing it up by dropping task X in order to focus on task Y is dandy and all. However, just because there is more time for task Y doesn't mean there is motivation for task Y.

Also, as anyone following any kind of regular fitness regiment will tell you; you make time.

This is getting horribly off-topic, though ;p
Well yea, motivation is a huge factor for that sort of thing. I was just noting how technological advancements made it easier to happen.

But yea, we're getting off topic! XD

In other vords, most ppl are blind, impresionable sheep. Unfortunatly I have to agree. And it pisses me off to no end vhen I think about it. That is literaly the only reason a smal group of rich manipulative motherfuckers can run the world and do shit at the expense of everyone else. I hate manipulation. Literaly. Hate. It. (and it showed in my result, my Machiavelian score vas less then half). If ppl had any sense at all (some do, but a very smal minority unfortunatly), they'd spit those disgusting oligarchic parasites on stakes publicly and have them bleed out slowly. Basicly Vlad Tepes style, but in this case fuly waranted. And its stil a LOT beter then they deserve.

Pathetic, isnt it? One reason why if there is a easy way and a hard way of doing something, I'l choose the hard one. It builds resolve and character, and boosts one's self-worth. In todays vorld, every single thing is designed to make life easier. Why? Take a guess. To erode ppls resolve even more then it already is. I hate that tendency, and I fight it anyvhere and everyvhere I can.

And it wuld be a great thing... assuming most ppl had any desire to do that. But noooo they are too lazy for that... they'r content to just survive, vegetate, and live in the status quo. They are happy having their identity and purpose decided for them. Shameful.

Wel... not me. Nobody... No. Body. decides anything for me. Ever. Or tell me how to think and vhat to do. I'm the only one to do that for myself. Oh sure, they can try... and they'l regret it. Guess thats why my Narcissism and especialy Psychopathy vere way above average. Good! Also gives me a fascinating insight in-to vhat kind of ppl designed this test - those who consider decisivenes, self-worth, and vigilance to be negative "nefarious" aspects. Fat chance.

And no, I dont think we strayed off-topic here, its just a natural discusion in-to the implications of the results gotten in the test.
(Note: Like Kestrel said, we're getting off topic by the fact that it's not the same topic as the OP. Yes we naturally went there, but it's not what people are going to be coming into the thread to discuss. So I'm dropping it after this. I just didn't want to do that right off the bat and make you think I was ignoring you or anything).

I have no issues with things being made easier.
Hell, it's sort of a requirement as we advance through the ages.

Just the concern is making sure during that people can keep a sense of purpose and individuality, rather than falling through the cracks and losing it.
Plus like Kestrel just said, the easiness of tech only really makes it easier, it's not the brewing pot that causes it. That's more innate in human nature.

+Should be noted that this isn't a black/white case of "These people are pawns and these people aren't!". It'd be more of a spectrum, where everyone would have some level of independence and some level of need to be accepted and ordered by others. I mean all we need to do is point out no one's running around in the wild surviving cut off from people, meanwhile no one's also sitting around just starving until getting an order (Unless if you know, Kill Grave) to prove that. :P

(Note: Like Kestrel said, we're getting off topic by the fact that it's not the same topic as the OP. Yes we naturally went there, but it's not what people are going to be coming into the thread to discuss. So I'm dropping it after this. I just didn't want to do that right off the bat and make you think I was ignoring you or anything).
Well, she is TC, so, yeah ;p

While certain persons are more impressionable than others, you and me too, are being manipulated in many facets of our lives. I think it's important to understand manipulation isn't inherently evil. For example, most of us ended up on Iwaku because it scores pretty decently in search engines when searching for roleplaying sites. In other words, many of us are here because Iwaku shows up higher on google than other sites, thereby influencing our decision what site to join. This is manipulation.

We benefit off of manipulation more than you might think. For example, a supermarket in the Netherlands has this bonus card. You can get it for free and whenever a product is on sale and you show the card at the cashier you can get a nice discount. ie; it saves you money. Why would the supermarket use this bonus card system? Because having a physical item you carry around you in your wallet also reinforces brand loyalty to that supermarket. You open your wallet; it's there. The brand name. Even though on paper, the only thing it should really do is get you discounts.

Likewise, sales can be used to promote a product. Say the same supermarket puts a new brand of, I don't know, cookies on the shelves. Most people are creatures of habit, mostly buying the same things over and over. However, when there is a sale, they might be more willing to try something new. And if they like it, they may continue to purchase it even after the sale has ended. This form of manipulation benefits both the consumer and the supermarket.

And then there's the J.C. Penney's effect. Which basically means that people want to be manipulated by marketing because this manipulation makes their decisions feel better, even if they're not actually better. This is more common in clothing or electronics stores. People prefer buying a computer at 800 euros when they see there's a discount of 20% (making them think they saved 200 euros on a 1000 euro computer) versus the same computer that is always priced at 800 euros in a different store. Even though the second store is infinitely more honest with it's customers, people just don't feel as good about their purchase. I guess you can say this example is a little more evil, but at the same time, in a way it is exactly what the customer wants.

Long story short. Manipulation isn't inherently evil. It can be good as well as bad for the consumer and is more a part of society than anything else. Sometimes it is there to benefit us, or make us feel better about the same decision, just as much as it is for corporations to influence our patterns.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Well, she is TC, so, yeah ;p
Good point. XD
While certain persons are more impressionable than others, you and me too, are being manipulated in many facets of our lives. I think it's important to understand manipulation isn't inherently evil. For example, most of us ended up on Iwaku because it scores pretty decently in search engines when searching for roleplaying sites. In other words, many of us are here because Iwaku shows up higher on google than other sites, thereby influencing our decision what site to join. This is manipulation.
Personally I had this suggested to me by @Kaga-kun, who heard of it via Migration.

So you can blame either her or @Brovo for that one. XD
And then there's the J.C. Penney's effect. Which basically means that people want to be manipulated by marketing because this manipulation makes their decisions feel better, even if they're not actually better. This is more common in clothing or electronics stores. People prefer buying a computer 800 at euros when they see there's a discount of 20% (making them think they saved 200 euros on a 1000 euro computer) versus the same computer that is always priced at 800 euros in a different store. Even though the second store is infinitely more honest with it's customers, people just don't feel as good about their purchase. I guess you can say this example is a little more evil, but at the same time, in a way it is exactly what the customer wants.
Eh... I get the argument but the computer side of me is killing me here. XD

In this case specifically I think people (at least those who know about computers, not those who just grab one because facebook) take priority in the specs and buy off of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.