How angry can you get?

*Jean opened his eyes slowly, each blink he became slightly more awake. Lying with his face half off the roof.*
The sight of a drop to the floor was not my idea of a nice wake up.
"Shit."
*He sprawled backwards and held his head. Looking down to his left, picking up the empty bottle.*
Feels like an axe is embedded directly into my skull.
*He rolls the bottle away, shielding his eyes from the morning sun.*
Why is she asking me the plan, I'm just the sheep following, god forbid someone like me make our plan for us. We might do something logical for once.
"Uhhh, morning, I think, *He stopped and giggled to himself.* I think Paris has got the truck ready. We were headed to the city initially so unless you guys have a better idea, its a straight drive up this highway for about 2 days."
No-one did offer to change shifts with me after all, I would prefer to be up here anyway, but its the thought that counts.
*He sighed and climbed down from the roof.*

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 person
I hear everybody stirring as I pack everything salvageable into the back of my truck, the poor sods didn't have enough to keep themselves alive much longer anyways, looks like we had done them a favor. Jean had spent all night on the roof and had actually managed to keep watch for the first few hours. He wasn't a heavy drinker and it took its toll around about two hours into his shift. *I had asked 'Ace' to relieve him for a couple hours and then I took the final watch. I would have asked DJ but he seemed knackered from all the sleeping he had done*, Jean had made his graceless, stumbling descent and was now stretching the tiredness from his muscles, Nani for some reason had turned to him as to the plan, *unwise, she would have been better off asking D.....maybe not*.
"The city is about 2 days away", the highways had become a little less convenient in the apocalypse, more broken down cars than space to drive down around any of the major cities and the road ahead would be no different. "I had a look at the map, it might be quicker for us to cut through the backroads it means more dirt tracks but I have changed the tires out, suited her up with some real, heavy duty rubber. The problem is I don't know when or where we might stop for the night. Listen I sure as hell don't like the idea of being stranded in some field, with no light, for what will probably be a very uncomfortable night sleeping in a truck but the highway is never a guarantee. We could make it halfway there only to find we can't make it around a ten car pile up, so decision time?"

• Love
Nani listened to his worries, tapping her chin with her index finger. "I can see where you're coming from, but I really think we should just go for it, don't you? Just think of all the positives. Sure, there's a good chance we may get stranded and eaten alive, but there's also a great chance we'll make it!" She said, an optimistic tone to her voice though inside she was sort of worried. She glanced over her shoulder at DJ and Sniper, who were unresponsive, then she looked to Jean. "What's your opinion, Jean?" Not like it mattered, but it's always good to ask. She put on a pleasant smile as she waited for him to reply.

• Thank You
*Jean looked at Nani before getting into the back of the truck.*
I wonder if she even listened when she asked me the plan a moment ago, if she had she would know I already opted for the highway. Nice to know she takes me seriously, maybe next time she can sleep in the field after all.
"Paris is right there, He's your man."
*Lighting a cigarette, he sat with his back facing the others.*
Maybe I am being too cold, but my head is killing me and I'm tired so now is not the time.

• Love
Jean got into the truck with brisk intent, he did not want to continue this conversation. Everybody else piled in after him, I turned the ignition and pulled out of the station. "Last chance to piss before we hit the road guys" I direct this towards DJ and Jean.
He still wasn't happy with my actions last night but there was always a way to change the mood. I turn the stereo on and switch to track 3, 'Low Rider' a true classic road trip tune. "Last stretch girl" I pat the dash, *hope you got enough strength left to get us there*. I pull away from the gas station and the events of last night fade into the distance behind us, *here we come....

Nani jumped up into the back of the truck, her pack in tow. "Hey, I'll just sit next to you," she said cheerfully to Jean, who's opinion she actually really did value. She reached into her bag and pulled out a ratty blanket and spread it out beneath her, then seated herself on it. "So, you ready for a road trip?" She asked her companions, smiling. DJ and Snipes were both silent, which was odd for them, but she just took it as nerves. This was very dangerous, and it would be the first time she'd been out of the woods since she infection spread. Nani, however, covered up her uneasiness with cheer and a happy tone of voice. This was her defense mechanism, as was food. Speaking of... Mmmm she thought, thinking of the three different cans of food in her bag. Most anticipated was the can of beef stew she'd happened upon up in the mountains. It'd been years since she'd had something other than canned veggies or the wide variety of pork and beans.

The ever patronizing voice of Paris never seized to frustrate me, not going to respond to him treating me like a kid. Ill piss on his fucking car seat and see how he handles that, still his taste in music is a redeeming feature. Nani seems to have a new enthusiasm for the back of the truck, Interesting.

*He sniggered as she lay down her blanket, hiding it by singing along to low rider and taking a drag, looking the other way.*

Look at her laying down a blanket to protect her royal tooshy, to what do I owe the honor of sharing the back with her.

"Hey Paris, lets get this show on the road, the highway it is ?"

*He tucked his sword between his legs and closed his eyes.*

"Buckle up in there, please keep your hands and feet inside the vehicle, thank you for flying with Paris Airlines."

Only time will help these guys open up to us, so for the time being I am not going to fight a lost cause.

• Love
"Somebody sounds chipper, you smoking something different this mornin'?" Jean never was one for listening but he would realise soon enough that we weren't using the highway. Driving along now for a few miles, nobody talking over the music, I look back to see DJ admiring a small statue figurine, "What's that you got there?" I turn the music down and meet his gaze in the rear view mirror.

The road becomes more of a patchy lawn between two fences, up ahead, a metal gate leading to a field of cattle blocks the road, in the field all the cattle are grouped in the far corner. As the car gets closer we see why, a group of zombies are eating one of the calves just beside the gate, four more groups can be seen further out in the fields. We are going to have to be quiet and cautious about this, on this terrain the truck isn't going to make for a quick getaway.

Reactions: Closer
Nani grinned at Paris, motioning taking a drag off a blunt with her left hand. She'd always been a fan of marijuana before the infection, but hadn't had any since. She'd almost forgotten what it was like, but as they drove past the few infected eating the poor calf, the thought left her mind right away. "Holy shit," she whispered, glancing over at Jean. "You never get used to seeing something that disgusting," she said softly. He seemed to be irritated with her but she wasn't sure why, so her plan was to be as sweet as possible and potentially win his friendship. She flashed him a polite smile and then turned back towards the road, hanging her head out the side to watch where they were going.

• Love
I hit the brakes as I see the metal gate a few meters before us, a close by zombie raises its head in our direction but drops it again shortly after, *looks like we are far enough away.*
"Guys, somebody needs to open the gate in the way of the car and preferably without alerting the whole neighborhood. Any volunteers?"

"I will!" Nani piped up softly, slowly and quietly making her way out of the truck. She lifted up her index finger to her lips, motioning for everybody to be very quiet. She then slowly creeped over to the gate. The only issue was the handle being slightly rusted. "Fuck my life," she muttered to herself as she fumbled with it. After a couple of minutes she got it and slowly swung the gate open. A slight creaking noise could be heard, which caught her by surprise and caused her to jump ever so slightly. She scurried silently back to the truck and climbed into it once more, her heart racing at the risk she'd just taken.

With the obstacle removed I needed to get out this area with great haste, I rev the engine, it was bound to attract the attention of the nearby undead but it meant a quick getaway. I released the brake and the car hurtled forward. Past the gate........IHSSS BOOM. The hood jumped as the car came to a screeching halt, steam filtered out of the now shaking hood. "Out, now, everybody out." (explosion sound effect)

"Everybody ok" I search around, dazed. The front of the truck was aflame and the windshield nothing more than shattered glass on the dash. I grab my emergency supplies, a small satchel under the driver's seat and get up, stumbling round to the back of the truck. "Thank god". Nani and Jean were sitting on the ground panting, scratched up but nothing serious. DJ was unconscious next to them, one of them had obviously dragged him out of the truck. "Where's 'Ace'?" At this point his reluctance the give his name infuriated me but now wasn't the time, "we need to move guys, the fire hasn't got the engine yet!"
I pick DJ up, we move slowly towards the nearest field and vault the fence, I struggle but just about make it over with DJ. A few seconds later the engine ignites and the truck goes up in flames and smoke, along with almost all of our supplies. *'Ace' where the fuck are you, now is not the...* I look up to see five zombies making a beeline straight for us..........

*Jean bounced of the hull of the truck, careering of the side as it came to an abrupt halt.*

At the speed it stopped, it would be impossible to have remained on the truck unscathed. The soft mud track took most of the impact, but the pain from hitting the truck still surged through my body, I think I cracked a rib.

"we need to move guys, the fire hasn't got the engine yet!"

*He got up off the ground using the truck as a stabilizer, he pulled Nani off the back and grabbed his sword.*

No time to salvage supplies from the back, much to my despair as my backpack along with my only connection to 'Her' goes up a blaze with the truck.

*Falling the other side of the fence with a thud Jean covers his face as his eyes well up.*

Loosing the last little piece of joy from a distant world, as despair clouded my judgement with regards to the zombies heading our way.

"Fuck! What the fuck happened."

• Love
Nani tried to catch her breath, her eyes closed. She was motionless on the ground for a moment before getting, shakily, to her feet. It had all happened so fast, her mind hadn't had a chance to process it before she was flung on the ground. Luckily her pack was strapped to her, so she hadn't lost it as Jean had seemed to. She didn't have more than a moment to think on that before she realized that infected were closing in on them. "Oh SHIT," she said, reaching into her pack and pulling out her pistol. She grabbed a few bullets from her pocket and stuffed them in and aimed right at the infected. "Okay, what the fuck is the plan now, lets agree on something," she said, panic lacing her voice.

With the fast approaching threat, *its time I take control*.
"Nani shoot the two on the left, Jean deal with the other three", *I need to find something to distract the now swarming fleshbags.*
"Ok we have about 30 seconds to finish off these gents and book it for the other side of this field, i've got DJ so just keep them off me".
As I finish speaking I spot 'Ace' stumble through into the field with two behind him...."Uh, Jean help 'Ace' out, Nani channel that inner deadeye, ok. We got one chance at this".

Emotions like these have no place in this new world, in order to remember those we have lost, we must survive. Anyone still alive carries the responsibility of keeping the human race above the water.

*He wipes his face as he gets to his feet, drawing his sword and holding his sheath. Strafing to the right to draw their attention.*

Help him out ? Is he serious I have three right here.

*Jean moved quickly around the first zombie, chopping off the stray hand before making a clean cut through the neck, utilising his first two rules he kept a very close eye on the two remaining, another clean cut this time from cheek to cheek saw the second drop.*

The mud makes your footwork sloppy, manoeuvring is hard on this terrain.

* he stumbles as his pivot foot fails to turn in the mud, falling back blocking the zombie with his sheath and sword.*

"Get off of me you rotting piece of shit. Paris, a bit of help here please !"

• Love
Nani listened to the commands laid out by Paris, nodding to him and taking in a sharp, deep breath. She lifted her pistol, holding it with both hands to improve her aim. "Die, motherfuckers," she said softly, firing the first bullet, which grazed the neck of one of them. Not good enough, she thought, her frustrations beginning to take over. Raising her pistol once more, she aimed right at the closest infected noggin and pulled the trigger, causing an explosion of disgusting proportions. A sigh of relief and a victory shortly celebrated. "One down," she said aloud, taking a deep breath and aiming for the other. A bullet to the leg, followed by two bullets to the chest, and it was down. It was only after her assigned infected were safely done with that she noticed Jean's predicament. She had one bullet left and no time to reload, so she aimed for the torso and pulled the trigger once more. This downed the infected, but didn't quite kill it. She almost felt pity for it as it struggled to keep moving, but could only move an inch at a time.

"Yours to finish, I'm out of ammo," she said to Jean, grinning. His sword would easily get the job done.

*Jean looked towards Paris while fending the zombie off. He flinched in fear as a gunshot and the sound of an impacting bullet came from his left.*

"Fuck!"

What the hell.

* He looked over to see Nani smiling, Smoke coming out of the barrel of her pistol.*

I really hope she meant to hit that zombie, but thank god she did.

* He looked at Paris and Dj, and then to Ace.*

" Nani can you give Ace a hand, I'll help Paris with Dj double time, you heard Paris, we are heading to the end of the field, stay safe!"

*He plunged his sword into the zombie and ran over to Paris.*

"Thanks by the way." He yelled.

* He took one of Dj's arms.*

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Nani nodded at Jean and ran over to Ace's side, covering him as they began to make their way across the field. As they moved, she reloaded her pistol with bullets from her pocket, her heart racing. This was one of the scariest situations she'd been in since the initial outbreak, and she was both enjoying it and fearing for her life. As she was thinking about this, a stray infected made it's way towards her, catching her off guard. She began reloading quicker and once done, lifted her gun and took aim. "Oh dear God if you haven't abandoned our sorry asses, lead my bullet right into this fucker," she said, barely above a whisper. She fired, catching the infected right in the jaw, causing it to stop and go limp. She shot once more for good measure, getting it in the chest. No movement after that.

"All clear," she said aloud, proceeding forward with Ace. Not long to the field now, and there were no infected near enough to cause any problems. When they made it, she set down on the ground with Ace and caught her breath while loading a bit more ammo into her gun.

Nani was clearly running low on bullets, glancing over at her frustrated reloading, Jean was holding most of DJ's wait so we had sped up dramatically. We bolted further across the field, I kept checking behind us to ensure we had enough space between us and the nearest zombies, we didn't. We made it to the fence on the far side of the field, my truck still spewing flames and trailing smoke, it would attract a lot of attention, I had to make a tough decision, right now DJ and 'Ace' were slowing us down, we barely had the energy to carry on without the added weight of those two, *no time for sentiment*. I let go of DJ and told Jean to do the same, I gestured Nani to stop supporting 'Ace', as I did, I could feel the shouldered resentment replacing the weight of DJ's unconscious body.
"Jean help me move them under here," I requested pointing towards an old sewage outflow hidden below the brambles, we had little time to waste, "Nani leave them some of your food and your first aid, don't worry I have mine".
*I couldn't believe i was struggling with this decision but it was survival of the fittest, and hey maybe if they survived this, we would meet up again*. I nudged Jean and started moving through the next field, I turned, one last longing look back, "Good Luck bro" I whispered it so as nobody knew my regret, to leave behind a friend, *DJ*.

• Love