Status
Not open for further replies.
Aylina couldn't help the slight blush that touched her usually pale, high cheekbones. "I would, very much, Garrick. Strom Jorsson is well-known among the Valena's in history lessons." She admitted, smiling as she stood up from her seat. The meal had been wonderful, she'd managed to make polite conversations with a few of the other people around her, but this one dwarf hadn't left her thoughts for long. As she rose gracefully from her chair, she curtsied to him, glad to be able to walk peacefully through the palace; everything here was very impressive, and she loved learning of ancient dwellings. But more importantly, she was pleased to have a chance to talk alone with Garrick! The poor girl, Kaylessa was certainly not having as nice a time, thanks to her brute of a father. She didn't want to create waves, but made a mental note to find a way to talk to the man alone. It wasn't right to treat his daughter in such a way. And it bothered her a bit more than she wanted to show.

• Love
Reactions: PoetLore
Magana tipped her head a bit to look at Buras when he mentioned that small bites save tastebuds, and let out a fairly loud and noticeable belly laugh at the words and the advice. ""I am so glad I had no food im my mouth Buras," she said leaning a bit closer, "I am afraid it would ahve been spewed all over you in a very undiplomatic fashion." her eyes were shining with humor as she spoke. Hopefully he would understand her slightly off sense of humor.

She grinned then, "Thank you," she said again, "I will take your avice. My way is torturous." She went back to trying bits of this and that until her plate was empty of the foods she found to her liking. Her gaze was drawn to the Arbiter when he announced his need for rest. She had no doubt he was in need of it, and seeing the healer beside him, she had to believe he had given that instruction. She was about to say something to Buras when a Laren stood up and made a nomination for a warring faction. Her brow lifted and her nostrils flared a bit. 'What the devil was that Laren trying to do?' she wondered.

She looked around the room and frowned a bit. She looked at Buras then, "What do you make of that?' she asked, "I did not notice any 'enemies' speaking expect you and I. That was either brilliant or devious. For my part, I have not yet decided." She had come to realize that Buras was a man who stated his opinions honestly and without reservation. She liked that and so, she would not value his opinion of this turn of events.

@Beowulf

"And if you'd have done that, I'd have to give you a very good thumping in an undiplomatic fashion." he replied with a grin and eyes sparkling. "But then this whole meeting would have been for just the food. And you would not even have the chance to become my apprentice." All this was said with that slight grin on his face and a glean in his eye. Perhaps being a delegate wasn't as bad as he had first thought it to be. He had met someone rather pleasant after all.

When the Arbiter announced that he was going to retire to his room for the night, he didn't think much of it. The man might have been a god, but an enchantment of that level targeted directly against him would take it's toll. Then again, the Arbiter was something akin to a god, so he should have been able to brush it off. Was the Arbiter not a god then, but something just a step below? Those were thoughts that he didn't want to dwell on for to long, not now anyways.

Then the nomination happened, but that to didn't seem to phase the rune smith. He leaned over to Magana to explain it the way he saw it. "It's to stir up trouble, no doubt. He most likely thinks that because of his nomination that they have no choice but to accept her as part of the delegation. That is not how the elves work, however. Yes family matters when it comes to attaining a high position, but they can also keep you firmly in your place. There have been few instances were the majority went against the family of the one, but those are few and far between. I doubt they will pass the nomination and allow her to become a member of their delegation. If anything they might prefer her being an unofficial member and use her as a tool. Politics with elves is just as nasty as politics with any other race, just more subtle in it's ways. But what do I know? I'm a dwarf rune smith, not an elf politician."

• Love
The Arbiter rose from his rest, the next morning, his energy returned in full. During his sleep, he had called upon his brothers in the Council to rectify the weakness of the flesh, and they responded by making his skin as impenetrable as the hardest stone, and infused it with wards. Now, no magically altered weaponry could penetrate his hide. They told him that he would still have a weakness, in that overuse of his power would exhaust him, and he would need to eat and rest, but now his skin would not be marred more than it was. Also, he would be bound in this body forever, a fact which he was quite at peace with.

He gathered parchments, and wrote a complete explanation, then made copies. His first order would be to have each person read the document, as it would correct possible misconceptions about him. The following is what the document said:

I, The Arbiter, must sincerely apologize to all of you. I was unaware of a weakness in my flesh, one which over the last night, has been rectified. Let me start by explaining some things. I am of a race of beings that some call gods. We are the Ancients. We existed long before this world was created. I was chosen by my brothers in the Council of the Ancients to deal appropriately with the war in this world, before the people of this world were destroyed, and to establish a kingdom to keep the brokered peace.

My brothers, however, saw that I was not willing to return to them after I complete my task, and, in their short-sighted anger, they imprisoned my body of spirit into a body that appears to be a Valena body. They also made a grave mistake, one that they cannot take back. They allowed me free will. I now choose my own path. I will complete my task and live in this world I have already come to love in the short time I have lived here.

I mentioned a weakness of the flesh. The Ancients have informed me that they were unaware that my body was not protected from physical attack, and they apologized for that. I still possess my powers, and will use them when necessary.

This, as I hope, will explain to you what occurred to me last evening.
The Arbiter conjured enough copies for each person, and stacked them to be delivered during the first meeting.​

Torna leaned over to Garrick, and replied, "I am sorry, by my tendency to speak my thoughts is coming forward again. I said, 'It is no treason to refuse to rule. It is a treason to think you are the ONLY person to rule.' By that maxim I live. It was told me by my father, and I believe it. Forget not, that we of the old clans have a different honor than those of the Cities do."

He straightened up, and raised his eyebrow at the Laren's action. What he saw was a plot within plots, a plan within plans, and frankly, he was amused, though he only showed it with a smirk. The Laren would have to fight for his declaration, and to support it, enough that he could persuade the Jabari delagation to comply. Torna had faith, just from what he has seen, that this was not going to be a problem for the silver-tongued Laren male.

@Altrex

Having been observing the reactions of the Jabari closely after his proclamation Edwin noticed the exchange between Kylessa and her father. Already plan was forming in response. He might not like Jabari at all, but it seemed that this one was hurting his own blood. Searching through his mind Edwin tried to recall if this was the norm for Jabari society. Nothing came to mind, he was going to have to ask around in-order to find out.

Sitting down and beginning to chat with his fellow Laren again a small festering seed of anger began to grow. Anger directed toward the girl's father. However he didn't realize this 'plant' was growing inside of him till he gave a curt irritated response to a question about what he was doing with a Jabari. He didn't have a reason to react like that toward an innocent question, in fact he prided himself on controlling his emotions. 'Should I just hit the problem head on?' As soon as that thought crossed his mind Edwin knew he would have to act. When had he ever not tackled something directly?

Timing would be important. To many overt moves would destroy the small amount of trust the other races might have fro Edwin, instead he waited till the Jabari were beginning to leave and quickly mustered his fellow Laren to depart as well. Making sure the two delegations would clash with each other while heading back to their lodgings for the evening. Then positioning himself in the crowd Edwin intentionally shouldered Kylessa's father but disguised the motion as him tripping.

"Ah, my greatest apologies Master Jabari. I see you are close with Kylessa Yeldove. If I may beseech you to ensure her mental and physical well being, I'm sure everyone here will be watching her closely now." Looking up at the man Edwin's eyes and smirk bore into the Jabari as he bowed slightly. Only sparing Kylessa a glance, he returned to the sea of bodies that was the Laren delegation. Edwin followed them for a while, but opted out of the lodgings available. Instead turning around after a few minutes and heading back to the airship. The rooms there might be cramped, but he trusted the accommodations there more. Same with the food, while it was mostly preserved tasteless rations he could trust nothing was amiss on his Zeppelin. So, grabbing some food from the pantry he ate his own meal away from everyone else. The fine food in the dining hall left untouched.

• Love
Renn kept a watchful eye on the whole room. He too had noticed something amiss in the way Kylessa Yeldove went from vibrant to cowed in a matter of seconds. Everyone started to filter out and he watched the Laren purposely bump into Delsaren Yeldove and tell him to ensure Kylessa's mental and physical health. his own brow raised, and he wondered what possible motive he could have for making that statement in the midst of so many. He also noted the the man did not go to quarters but to his airship. Hmm.

He saw Garrick ask a vaelena if she'd like a tour of the palace. Hmm. he also saw Another Berkak making friends with a Ferregard. Hmm...

it seemed the Berkak were the ones who were willing to create peaceful relations between the races moreso than any other. Interesting. His kind always prided themselves on having the least amount of prejudice and the most tolerance, but that was not at all what he was witnessing here. He had made his nomination for Lord of House Aeraidin before everyone left the room, informing General Rolena that he must needs check on the Arbiter's well being.

He was the last one to leave the hall and made his way to the Arbiter's quarters and tapped upon the door. He needed to check on his patient, and make sure he was doing as he should. He had a feeling that the Arbiter wasn't one to normally be in need of rest or moderation. He stood at the door and patiently waited for him to answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kylessa stood when her father did, because he still held a firm grip on her hand, though he masked it by pulling her hand into the crook of his arm. Delsaren was highly displeased, though his regal diplomatic manner belied that fact. None but his wife and daughter would know of his agitated state.

Kylessa herself was just willing the evening to be over and done with quickly. She felt the push and her father's reaction to right himself and her as well, because he did not relinquish her hand at all. She saw who it was and fought to keep from groaning aloud. 'How had she offended him this greatly?' she wondered as she rehearsed their interactions in her mind. She could find nothing to indicate that they had not resolved upon returning to the dining hall. That flicker of a glance would be met with pleading eyes and a very slight shake of her head. Though, she could not bring herself to believe a Laren would care if a Jabari begged for anything. She was quick to mask it though, lest any of the other Jabari were to make note of it.

Delsaren cast a look at the Laren, "Never fear, Delegate Ames," he said to let the Laren know that he was aware of his name and who he was. "My daughter will be well taken care of this night." He bowed his head and the entire Jabari delegation made their way to the Yeldove suite.

Once away from the eyes of the other delegate parties, Delsaren backhanded Kylessa across the face and threw her bodily into a chair. "You ahve brought dishonor and suspicion to our delegation," he said, "Does anyone have anything to say?" he asked looking around the group.

The other delegates of the Jabari were cowering just like Kylessa had been forced to, all but General Aradove. Kobar Aradove stepped forward and stood very close to Delsaren, invading his personal space deliberately. "Kylessa has done nothing," he said boldly, "YOU Delsaren ahve brought suspicion upon us by your blatant and obvious manhandling of your daughter. She was acting in a manner befitting these proceedings by befriending those outside her race. I am not sure she has chosen wisely in her alliance, but I will not condemn her actions. YOURS however, I do condemn and I call for the removal of your name from our delegate list and for your place to be taken by Kylessa."

The other members of the delegation agreed, having their confidence bolstered by General Aradove's words and fearlessness.

Delsaren glared at Kobar, "Who do you think you are?" he spat.

"I think I am the man who fought for the last thirty years, while you spoke pretty words," Kobar said, "I am the one who watched the Jabari die, while you lived in ease upon the treetop deep with the forest and far away from the battlefront. I think I am the one who was willing to give my life for our people, while you forged a better life for yourself." He returned the glare with equal force and intensity, "I did not war for thirty years to ahve the likes of you ruin any chance at peace there might be on Ilkaria."

Kylessa sat wide-eyed in that chair. her hand was throbbing and her arm was sore, but her heart was flying. she stood and looked around the room, "I am sorry the Laren chose to use me to divide us." she said, "But I am not sorry I chose to follow him and speak with him. I would like to nominate General Aradove as Lord of House Jabari. He speaks for all of us, with passion and truth."

Delsaren went to backhand her again but Kobar stayed his hand. "Jasta," he said turning his gaze to Delsaren's wife, "You may stay and be part of these proceedings, but your husband is leaving right now. What is your decision."

Jasta blinked and looked around the room, but crossed to her husband, "We have served the jabari loyally for over five hundred years. You cannot just throw us out."

The other members of the delegation all moved to stand behind General Aradove. "I believe we just did." he turned his gaze to Kylessa, "And you?"

Kylessa moved to stand with the others, "I choose to stay."

• Love
Reactions: Altrex
Garrick was surprised she'd agreed, but hoped it hadn't shown. He motioned for her to follow him away from the crowds that were making their way to their rooms. "Do you not need to deliberate with the other Vaelena?" he asked and they moved into a lovely domed area where you could look up through a glass roof and see the night sky clearly. "This is my favorite room in the palace," he said as he looked up and watched the stars shine and twinkle above him.

he was quiet for a bit, just watching the night sky and then realized he wasn't talking, and he wasn't alone and turned to her a bit red faced, "Forgive me, Aylina," he said as he bowed, "I am not used to having company. I tend to be alone with my thoughts most times." He gave a slight shrug at his admission.

@Maggie

Before the Arbiter had gone to sleep, a knock at the door had been heard. He opened the door, dressed only in his loose pants, and was surprised to see the Healer. "My own... What are you.... I am sorry, Renn. Forgive me. I am surprised you chose to follow me here. You are welcome. Come in."

He was flustered, because the object of his affection, his mate was now in his quarters, and he had no shirt or robe on. How embarrassing.... He flushed with the knowledge of his exposure.

Aylina gazed along with Garrick at the beauty of the evening. "It's quite alright, Garrick, truth be told, I'm used to being alone myself. If I was needed by the other Valena, I'm sure I would have been summoned. I'm mostly being written about in their reports to my father, but I doubt I've done anything to cause grief back home." She assured him, not truly caring if she had. She smiled at his confession, seeing nothing at all wrong with the need for deep, contemplative silences every so often. They were a good part of life, they helped clear the mind so one could think properly. She was used to the noise and chaos of being a high elf's daughter; but also very used to doing things in her own way- after she had finished all her duties for the day. She could honestly spend hours at a picnic on a hillside by herself, studying, reading or drawing, rather than being cooped up in large rooms packed with people. Being under the glass roof gave her an idea however, and she mulled over it for a few moments. Then, with increasing courage, wanting to be with him a bit longer, she formed her own question. "Garrick... do you know of any secret passages?" She wondered aloud, hoping for an extended tour. She wasn't ready to go back just yet...

• Love
Magana chuckled at his response to her saying she'd have spewed food all over him. Shecould see the humor in his eyes and hear it in his voice. "That would have been a great loss on all counts," she said soberly but like him there was a flash a spark there in her eyes. "I would expect to be set down publicly for a greivous breech of diplomacy. I would completely understand. Even so, I am very much looking forward to being tested as your apprentice. I am hopeful of being found worthy to fill such a position."

She had owned Berkak hewn awes and shields before. One had even been Magically enhance, and had saved her life in a battle against a mountain lion.The way he had been able to unlock the magic mysteries of the assassins's weapon intrigued her greatly. She could not see any way such skill could not be considered valuable. she was at least determined to try.

She leaned closer to hear his take on the whole matter with the Larens and the Aedairins, and found herself in complete agreement about the motives. "I would have to concur," she said in a hushed voice, "Though...if they ignore the nomination, that could cause a probalem as well. I does place them in a tenuous situation, diplomacy wise. The Laren are quite good at creative at causing tensions in the ranks of their enemies. We have been their alllies throughout the war, and I ahve seen and heard much. Their loyalties are always for themselves first and toward any who might benefit them, second. I find myself curious to know what capacity that Laren feels a young Aedairin will be as a bargaining tool, or possible ally. They perhaps have forged some sort of personal agreement?' she speculated. "They did look rather friendly upon entering the dining hall, did they not?"

@Beowulf

"Masks make people look like many things, dear." Buras said as he finished up his meal and wiped the food from his beard. He then watched as the Laren cleverly get his delegation to move, and bump into a Aedairis delegate, from what he could tell, on purpose. "And if what you say is true, then I trust Larens about as far as I can throw them. And I don't know about you, but the only way I can throw a Laren far is if it's of a cliff." He didn't say what the Aedairis delegation should do about the nomination, it was for them to decide. And what did he know? He was a Berkak, not an Aedairis.

"Now if you'll excuse me, I need my rest. Farewell, Magana Dreambreaker. May you not get lost in these halls, and have a good night's sleep." With that, Buras pushed his chair back, bowed slightly to Magana in respect, and departed for the Berkak deligation's designated quarters. And because the whole palace was designed by a Berkak, it felt like he hadn't even left the mountains.

• Love
Torna himself soon left the table, and headed for his own bed in the Berkak quarters, bowing politely to his Berkak counterparts as he passed. The way he was dressed, any Berkak could tell what clan he led. As the head of an ancient clan of the old line, he had a different honor system than those of the typical city dwelling Berkak.

He entered the main room of the quarters, and said loudly, "My kin! I wish to nominate Buras Garethson for the post of Lord Delegate! We need not a person that has no knowledge of the real people of the Berkak, but a steely mind that knows the people! Thus, I lay in my nomination."

@Altrex

Last edited:
  • Love
Back in the Zeppelin Edwin sat reading a book about the various races and their relationships before the war. It was an old faded tome, which seemed to have a heavy Laren slat. It was difficult to read between the lines of the text but the information seemed as if it would be at least some use.

Baring any interruptions Edwin spent the rest of the evening studying before heading to bed.

((Sorry for the wait guys.))

Renn, being a healer was not as uncomfortable with partial nudity as most would be in this situation. he'd ahve had to ask him to remove it in any event to inspect the wound on his back to see that it had healed properly.

He WAS however, a bit confused by the Arbiter's reaction to his presence, since it seemed obvious to him that a healer would check on a recent patient before allowing himself the luxury of restful sleep. Still he nodded and offered a soft smile as he entered, "Forgive my intrusion, Lord Arbiter," he said, though now that he'd addressed him as such it sounded a bit wrong for some reason. Pushing that thought aside he moved a few more steps into the room and then turned his attention to the reason for his visit, "I could not in good conscience go to my quarters for rest until I had checked on you, to be sure you are well. The healer in me cannot break long observed habits." he explained.

He offered another small smile, "May I inspect your back, to be sure you are healing properly?" he asked, "The wound itself in closed," he continued to explain, "But internally there would ahve been some healing your body would still continue building upon after i finished my magical healing." He was rambling. Mentally, he scolded himself, but when nerves pressured him, this was the result.

Kylessa and the rest of the Jabari delegation escorted her father and mother to an airship and waited to ensure they were both on their way back to their treetop home in the heart of the forest. She did not allow herself the luxury of showing any type of emotional response at all, though she felt a bit sick at heart over the manner of her father's actions and his attitude toward herself and those of their delegation, not to mention those toward the rest of the people present for these proceedings.

She turned from watching the airship leave and looked at her fellow delegates, "Please allow me to apologize for my father's disgraceful behavior." she said to everyone, and then leveled her gaze on General Aradove. "And most especially for his words to you general. No one could ever doubt your loyalty, bravery, or contribution to the Jabari nation, least of all my father."

Kobar just smiled, "Do not take his transgressions upon yourself, Kylessa," he said gently, "Your father has been in power too long it seems, and forgets his humble origins. That is no fault of your own." His hand rested upon her shoulder, "You are wise beyond your years, young one, and I am glad for the Laren's recommendation. It would not shock me to hear that we claim you as our Lord of House Jabari."

Kylessa's eyes widened in shocked horror, "Oh certainly not!" she said as her head shook, "You deserve that title General Aradove, not someone like myself with relatively little knowledge of political or military strategies."

He chuckled at her, "These are peace proceedings Kylessa, not war negotiations. What is needed is someone with a heart for peace, and one who loves their people. We shall see."

The group returned to their agreed upon meeting place and cast their lots, and they chose General Aradove as Lord of House Jabari, but not unanimously.

Kylessa let out a sigh of relief at that announcement and congratulated him before returning to her quarters. she changed out of the soiled gown and replaced it with her normal green leggings, white shirt and darker green vest. She pulled on soft leather boots and then left her room and made her way back to the docking area. She had no idea if all the Laren preferred the Airship, but it certainly seemed that Delegate Ames did. She stood on the platform and pondered how to go about announcing herself. There was no means of knocking or ringing, which was troublesome. She bit her lip and crossed her arms as she gave the situation a bit of thought.

"Delegate Ames?' she called out after much deliberation as to what she should do, "Sir? Might have a moment of your time?"

Garrick tipped his head and lifted a brow, "I cannot believe anyone as lovely as yourself would ever spend time alone," he said of his honest opinion. "I'm a much hated old war starting Berkak, so my aloneness is perfectly understandable." he shrugged a bit and ran his hand along the intricate stone railing that defined the balcony they stood upon at present. it was truly a remarkable achievement.

Her question interrupted his mental musings and he chuckled, "Oh I am quite sure Strom has more than a few secret passages within this palace," he said with a wide smile, "He was rather known for them. I never met the man, but I understand he was somewhat of a pessimist, and the secret passages were secondary escape routes. My grandfather used to say they were between sleeping areas, because Strom was something of a ladies man. I shall leave you to decide which version of the man you prefer to adopt. My grandfather did actually know the man though, so I personally tend to favor his personal knowledge over speculations."

He tapped his chin then, "I have only had time to find a few of them," he explained, "There are a few we could not explore at present because they would end in quarters being used by delegates, and that would be extremely rude, I would think." There was a glint in his eyes that spoke of his personal willingness to risk it, but he would never risk her reputation in such a way. "There is one though," he said as he leaned closer, "That would bother no one if you wished to explore. It's getting late tonight, but if you'd like to go tomorrow..."

@Maggie

"Yes, of course, tomorrow would be fine.." Aylina agreed with a smile, admiring Strom's handiwork. "As for my reasons for being alone, my father loved me until mother died... then all he saw for the rest of the time was what he'd lost. His heart became a lot more bitter ever since. As for you, Garrick, I believe in making amends for mistakes, yes; but not to the point people hate you forever. Second, third, even fourth chances are understandable, even commendable: It's when the person becomes so unfavorable, so consumed with repeating said mistakes just to destroy lives, that they become an enemy. You have done those few bad things; but I admire your attempts in making up for everything. You're probably stronger character than I." She added with a sad smile. Something in her eyes said all too clear that she knew what it was like not to be forgiven. She had little reason to worry about her reputation either. It had been in good enough standing for as long as she could remember.

Magana nodded in agreement, "And such proceedings as these tend to bring out the thickest kind of masks." she said as she too finished her meal. She saw her delegation stand, and also saw the stern look she was getting, but she ignored it and turned back to Buras. "I shall not wish you luck in these halls, since I can safely asssume you feel very much at home here," she said intuitively. "But I will wish you good rest and say that it has ben a true pleasure to ahve met you this day." She too bowed as he left.

She made her way to the other Ferregard and General Nkurigg glared down at her. "Do you enjoy fraternizing with our enemies?' he asked, "You certainly appear to."

"I was under the impression that none of the delegates were to be considered enemies here." she said with her chin held high. "That Berkak behaved himself as he should. he was polite, friendly, and helpful to everyone he encountered regardless of their race. can you say the same Vlog?" she asked, daring to use his given name instead of his surname.

He raised a hand but thought better of it. "We are meeting ont eh airship to choose our Lord of House," he informed her and the entire delegation filed from the room, in a very orderly, regimented manner. They cast their lots for their chosen lord and As expected General Knurigg was chosen. She nodded, "So be it." she said and excused herself from the group. She moved swiftly through the halls and back to her quarters. She had an excellent sense of direction, and a willful purpose to be separate from her delegation. Once in her room she paced the floor in agitation. "How can they be so blind," she said out loud. General Knurigg was the most closed minded man she'd ever encountered. How can they believe he will represent all of the ferregard with equity? Her small tribe would never be given one second of consideration. Their needs and struggles would be completely forgotten, just as they always had been. She could only hope and pray that the ancients were aware of the plight of her tribe and those small factions that surrounded hers in the far North and see through and past Knurigg to a fair emperor. She would MUCH rather see Buras Garethsson as Emperor than Vlog.

She paced her quarters most of the night, and finally seeing the sun rise through her window decided to attempt something productive. She went in search of the forge, perhaps Buras was an early riser and would have a bit of time to test her this morning.

She finally found it after a bit of searching, and stepped inside, "Is anyone here?" she called into the room.

@Beowulf

Status
Not open for further replies.