Status
Not open for further replies.
Garrick was surprised to hear her ask for a more secluded place to talk, but he was happy to oblige. "Well, this is as far as I explored on my own," he admitted, "And NOW I am glad, because we can discover together and have a memory to share." he said with a smile that was wider than the beard allowed a person to see. He tucked her hand into the crook of his arm and then continued on. They were a far way past the spot where the filigree stone work had overlook the balcony and there was a mustier smell here. "Doesn't seem like anyone has been here in a long while eh?" he asked as he lit the Berkakian lamp from his pocket and held it aloft.

He felt an odd rush of air swirl around him and frowned, "Hmm...that was odd," he said, "Wonder where that is coming from? Maybe we've found the exit...let's look for another secret door." He shone the light around and there seemed to be no way out, but he knew that was not possible in a Strom structure.

• Love
Reactions: Maggie and Aragon
The dark figure followed a safe distance behind, but when he saw that they were enclosed in a dead end and evil, malicious grin formed on his cruel face. He sprang from his hiding place and lunged at the two. The Woman was closer so he'd likely kill her first before the blade found its true intended victim, but so be it. She should have chosen a better companion.

Garrick heard the single footstep that occurred as the hidden man sprang at them, and seeing that he was going to attack Aylina, he pulled her behind himself and took the FULL brunt of the attack right on the chest. he didn't even think twice. His only concern was to make sure she lived. His own dagger drew and he was about to defend them when their attacker just vanished.

He didn't have time to react, he fell to the ground in a heap at Aylina's feet.

@Maggie @Aragon

• Love
The old castle suddenly did several things at once. It teleported the assassin bound, to the center of the table, where he was deposited, in sight of all the attending. A voice, full of magic, spoke in a resonating tone, neither male nor female, "Healer Renn. Your services are required." At that, the magic teleported Garrick, and placed him prone on the table just in front of Renn, as well as Aylina, who was placed standing beside Renn. The voice spoke again, "Lord Arbiter. In the center, you will find a Ferregard Assassin. You will recognize him, no doubt. It is his blade that has attempted to kill your friend. There is no magic in your friend's blood."

• Love
Reactions: Maggie and PoetLore
"Garrick!" Aylina cried, but too late. As he fell to the ground in a heap, she managed to get one solid punch to the traitor's stomach- then, suddenly was transported back to the main castle. She stood beside Renn, but was full of anguish. Had she listened earlier to that warning in her mind, she could have done something sooner to prevent this from happening. But why had Garrick shoved her out of the way? He could still be standing and it could have been her, fallen from the axe. She almost wished it were reverse, so great was her guilt. She clenched her hands into fists, wanting to burn that Ferregard bastard where he stood, though she was well-aware it was not her place to act. If she had a chance, she'd burn this one alive for the pain he caused. All this, for not being chosen as a delegate?! She wanted to ask if Garrick would be alright, but found her voice, temporarily lost from sadness. She felt like the worst person in the world, having agreed to explore the tunnels that day. All she could do now was pray that Garrick would soon be healed and unharmed.

• Love
Reactions: PoetLore and Aragon
The Arbiter stood quite slowly, his anger rising even now. His voice ground out, and he spoke, voice low, but easily heard by every person in the building, no matter where they stood, "We have just started negotiations for peace. You, Ferregard, attempted to take your people's crown for yourself. Then, when you didn't get the leadership of your people, you attacked someone of another race. You, under normal circumstances, might be happy your enchanted blade didn't do more damage, because of what my choice of punishment will be. But, no matter what, you attempted to murder someone whose main desire was for the peace of your land. You, Ferregard, are guilty of attempted murder, witnessed by Magic itself, as well, it seems, by Ambassador Aylina. I would condemn you, Ferregard, to death, but instead, it is my command that your Lord, Magana, shall determine your fate. I can only hope that she chooses to end your life. Lady Magana, what is your judgement?"

Reactions: PoetLore
Magana blinked when Aruk Dureg suddenly appeared kneeling and bound upon the table of the great hall. Her eyes narrowed as she heard the voice resounding through the room, and presumably throughout the entire palace. Fire such as she had never felt before burned within her and she had a hard time containing it.

She looked at Garrick then and tears stung her eyes. Fisting her hands at her sides she did not notice the spark of flame that lit there before it died when her heart broke for the Berkak who had born so much already. She listened as the Arbiter spoke the charges and listed the witnesses. The weapon in his hand and the bloodied body of the Berkak were all the evidence she needed, especially when the magic of the palace announced the truth for all to hear. She expected the Arbiter to execute the judgment of the ancients, but he did not do so. Instead he deferred to her, as Lord of the Ferregard. She was humbled and grateful.

She lept onto the table in one graceful and agile movement. Her own voice rang out through the hall, "Fellow delegates,I call you all to return!" she called out and stood towering over the kneeling Aruk, who was glaring at her in the most hateful manner. She waited until everyone returned before she spoke again, "My Ferregard Brothers," She said looking down at them from where she stood upon the table, "This man has betrayed not only the Arbiter, and these proceedings, but all of us. He has chosen to bloody all our hands with his act this day. You my brothers will swear loyalty now, to myself, and to our new Emperor or you will join him in his fate. Speak now."

Each of the other three delegates swore their loyalty and she bowed her head, "Your vow is accepted." she said and then looked to everyone else in the room. "My fellow Delegates and ambassadors. On behalf of the Ferregard, I beg your forgiveness for this act of aggression adn hostility. This is NOT what we came here to represent of our people."

She turned her gaze to Aruk, "Speak the truth now and save your honor and name from destruction, "Did you act alone?"

Aruk spat at her, and did not reply.

She looked away from him again and at the others, "I, Magana Dreambreaker, Lord of the Ancient House of Ferregard find this man guilty of treason, attempted murder and insubordination." She drew her sword, an impressive looking great sword with a double sided blade that had been magically enhanced. She once more cast her gaze to the other Ferregard, "You WILL witness the fate of all who would so dishonor the House of Ferregard."

She lifted her sword and her eyes never left those of Aruk, "You, Aruk Dureg, will have no name among us. You are guilty and I sentence you to death, at my own hand." Her sword rose and she let out a roar of fierce anger and indignation as the sword fell and sliced Aruk in half as the enchanted blade slide through flesh and bone with ease. The twin halves of his body fell to each side and she lifted the blade into the air and the lowered the hilt to her chest and bowed her head. Blood ran down her arm and over her hands, but she stayed in that position as she spoke with the ancient Ferregard tongue, "Diukhonorun shal deaavh inavo avhe afaverlife". She lifted her head then and stepped off the table and onto a chair before stepping down onto the floor.

She noticed that the other three Ferregard were still looking at Aruk as if they could not look away, and she wondered at it. Were they subject to her word on that level? She would ask the Arbiter later, in private. She had no desire to turn them into slaves.

She then turned to Buras but words failed her. She was so overwhelmed with emotion and anger and grief, she tried to speak but nothing came. Sorrow, regret and anguish were there in her eyes.

@Beowulf

• Love
"Is Garrick dead." Buras said calmly, as if someone hadn't just been split in half the long way right in front of him. "We should not mourn him until he is dead. Healer, if you would please." And with that, his face turned to Magana. It did not soften for her, but his voice did. "Magana Dreambreaker, come, take a seat. Regrettably there are still things we must see to as Lord Delegates before you may go and clean up. Wipe your hands, that is the most that can be done for now."

Everything had happened rather quickly, truth be told. But the evidence had all been there, Garrick lying on the table with the Ferregard not even attempting to plead his innocence. "I would like to see the weapon once we are finished here. If it contains an enchantment as evil as the axe had, then I'll have yet another weapon to dispose of." He talked as if there wasn't even a doubt that Garrick was still alive. It was rude to talk of someone as if they were dead, especially if they were right in front of you.

• Love
Aylina was hurt by Buras casual tone, regarding Garrick, as if the man mattered not a whit to him! It was no use talking to people like Buras about callousness, apparently this was normal for him when others were hurt. She'd been slightly injured, only a scrape on her right arm, but she kept it out of sight, not wanting any attention upon herself than was necessary. She'd take care of the wound later, if she knew Garrick would pull through. Where was Renn? She truly hoped he'd get there soon, Garrick's life depended on him. She wouldn't leave Garrick's side, not even for a moment. Buras callous statement about not mourning Garrick really brought home to why he thought no one cared much for him. It made her heart hurt worse. Was she one of few, who would notice if he did die? He did have more in common with her after all. She only wished people were kinder, but knew this could never be. She did acknowledge Magana, for her swift dispatching of the Ferregard, and thanked her briefly. She felt so useless here, but she found an out of the way place, to let the healer take care of Garrick when he arrived, but still close enough if anyone needed her for something.

• Love
Torna was silent again. The fact that one of his people was attacked made him very angry, but justice had already been served. This just served to show him that there was something at work trying to destroy the peace proceedings. He watched the Arbiter with interest, now, and wandered what was to happen next. The Arbiter's anger was growing by the second. Something was about to happen. Of that, he had no doubt.

• Love
Feolis excused himself and swept to his quarters, where he quickly divested himself of his robe, cleaned up, and got a new robe from his chest. He composed himself, and headed back in, completely aware, now, of the extent of the Arbiter's power, and understanding just what the Arbiter was. He'd seen a similar power signature before, and only when a true Ancient one had visited his people, when he was but a child. He now knew, beyond a doubt, precisely what The Arbiter was.

• Love
The Arbiter began to speak again, his words again heard over the entirety of the complex. "Lords, ladies. The first thing you will find is that your orders to your houses cannot be violated. Second, is that commands made either by me or by the future emperor are impossible to be disobeyed. The magic created by the ancients and placed on you will not allow it. So, now, I have a command for you all. You are to tell your people this: The Soul-Bane potion, its use, and its creation is cause for the death penalty. Any caught using this potion, making the potion, or distributing it in any way shall be put to death the way this assassin has been. So I command."

"Now, to my reason why. Today, just before that assassination attempt, a delivery was made, via airship, of a wooden box of wine bottles marked for delivery to each house's lord. Garrick, in his constant wary forethought, was suspicious of the bottles and brought them to the attention of myself and of Renn. They were poisoned with Soul-Bane, a poison that separates the soul from the body and dissolves the body, leaving the ghost of the person bound to this realm. The magical signature of the brewer was that of a Jabari High Family member. I do not know which member, but it was a high ranking member indeed. I do not blame the Jabari people, but I state without deception or hesitation that the magical signature was a Jabari high family member. Lords, Ladies, Delegates, someone wishes to destroy the peace we seek before we truly have it! I call upon the Lords and Ladies to seek among you those members that may wish to disrupt the proceedings and compel them to comply or face consequences!"

• Love
Renn had been summoned by the palace magic, and he made his way back from the kitchen. he arrived just as Magana exacted her punishment on the assassin. He could see that it had taken a toll on her but his attention went directly to Garrick. He hadn't heard any words spoken by anyone but Magana, once his attention was fully on his patient. He placed his hands on Garrick's chest and he could feel a thin beat of his heart and the glowing began. His magic surrounded Garrick fully and allowed his mind to begin the process of repairing and replenishing blood. There was an odd anomaly around the wound, but he would be able to overcome it, or so he thought. The flesh there was refusing to join together and heal. He tried several times to magically heal that area but it simply would not do so.

The soft glowing subsided and he reached into his pocket and pulled out a small pouch. He used the scissors there to cut Garrick's tunic open where the wound was and began to stitch the wound closed manually. Beginning with muscles and then inner layers of skin he worked carefully. He was trying to work quickly though, to stem any bleeding that would ahve occurred, And then he put a hand over the area and tried to join the flesh. It was stubbornly refusing to heal magically, but he could tell it would heal on its own. He was able to replenish the blood supply, since that was not directly affected by the blade, and to give his friend some much needed energy and strength. He lifted his hands and frowned.

He lifted his gaze to Buras, "Please examine the weapon," he said, "There had to be something on the blade," he insisted, "Something is forbidding the flesh to be magically healed. There must be an anti-magic enchantment of some kind." That thought troubled him a great deal. "Apparently he realized I would try to heal magically and was trying to subvert my ability to save his life."

He turned his attention to Aylina and reached for her arm, "You are injured as well," he commented and frowned, "I will have to use non magical methods to seal that wound," he said and reached for a leaf that was in a bag within his pouch, "Chew on this." he said as he held another leaf to the wound. "I am trying to be sure you will not feel any discomfort, but I cannot guarantee it. If you prefer I can give you a sleeping draught." Watching her he waited for her reply.

@Maggie

• Love
Reactions: Aragon and Maggie
Kylessa watched the whole morbid and sordid scene play out before her wide, disbelieving eyes. When Magana carried out the execution personally, she frankly was shocked. Impressed, but shocked. She heard Buras and understood what he was saying. Renn was a very capable healer, and she knew that he would stop at nothing to save him. She felt sure the Arbiter would step in if need be as well, so she wasn't ready to mourn either.

General Aradove rested a hand on Magana's shoulder, "Well done," was all he said, but it was high praise from the Jabari General to a former enemy. He heard the Arbiter state his command regarding the Soul-bane magic and frowned when he said it was Jabari brew house. He knew of only three high ranking families with such capability.

Kylessa knew of one. Her own family. She blanched at the realization and felt general Aradove's hand on her arm, "Be calm Kylessa Yeldove," he said softly, "We will ferret out the villains." There was a steely resolve in his voice that she recognized. She nodded and watched as Renn worked on Garrick. She sent up silent prayers for his restoration, and was shocked to see Renn resorting to non-magical healing. Her brows furrowed until he asked Buras to examine the blade. That made sense. Apparently she'd been right about that Ferregard, though she hadn't been able to prevent this from happening. her instincts were good, but her communication of her suspicious was not. She frowned and approached Buras, "Please forgive me," she said, "I noticed that man casting odd, hateful looks at Garrick and Aylina," she admitted, "I should have said something...perhaps this might have been prevented."

@Beowulf

• Love
Reactions: Aragon and Maggie
Obligingly, she took the leaf, chewing on it slowly. "Really, the wound isn't bad. Nothing compared to his. I'll heal, it's small enough to tend to in my room later." She hated sleep even at night, there wasn't much chance she would take a sleep-aid in the daytime. Her wound -wasn't- as small as she'd made it out to be, but as Garrick was the one near-death, she hated to take any focus away from him. She'd already practically caused his huge injury, from him protecting her from that horrid man. Too much guilt was hitting her soul to let her even contemplate wanting anyone else to help her. That would only make her feel worse.

• Love
Reactions: Aragon and PoetLore
Renn nodded and waited a few seconds for the leaf he was holding to work it's magic naturally. he first poured a disinfectant mixture over the wound, "This might sting," he said before he poured it. He Touched her arm and let his magic tell him what he needed to know, that there was nothing int he wound now to be of concern and then he started to stitch her up manually as he had Garrick.

He finished up and put his things away and tucked the pouch into his pocket where it had been. "That will need cleaned several times a day," he instructed. "I will provide you with an ointment that you can spread on it that will keep the wound free of contaminants and speed healing. It is in my room, but I will send it to you."

He turned his attention back to Garrick when he heard a low groan. "Friend Garrick," he said as he stood by him, "Be careful," he said, "I could not heal you magically. You must have a care when sitting up and standing."

Reactions: Aragon
Garrick blinked and furrowed his brows when he saw that he was looking up at the ceiling of the great hall. Suddenly his mind became alert and he tried to sit up quickly only to have Renn urge him to be careful.

"Forget about me," he said, "Where is Aylina?" he asked, "Is she ok?" he was trying to sit up, but he was feeling tugging and pain in his chest and side. He finally grabbed Renn and pulled himself to a sitting position with his arms. He saw her there and the look of relief on his face was visible to anyone who witnessed it. "Oh thank the ancients," he said in a soft voice.

He held out his hand to her, "I was so scared I was not quick enough."

@Maggie

Aylina hurried to give Garrick a careful hug. "Thank you Renn." She said, meaning for the healing for both of them. "You were almost too quick, Garrick. Please, be careful; I'd hate for anything to happen to you like today." She told him, just relieved that he was even awake and able to move again. "I'm thankful Renn was able to help you." She added aloud, letting the healer be assured he was always needed. Not like her.... who always seemed more in the way than anything useful this far. She had no idea what was going to happen next, but only hoped there were no more enemies to deal with just then. She might honestly get infuriated enough to burn the next attacker into ashes if they tried another assassin attempt on Garrick! She hadn't used her magic in a while, but she made a note not to hesitate again if she needed it. Had she lost Garrick today, it would have been even worse than when she lost her mother.... She was grateful for the Arbiter's and Magana's actions as well.

• Love
Reactions: Aragon and PoetLore
Magana grabbed the hilt of the blade that Aruk had used and handed it to Buras and then grabbed a few napkins and wiped her hands. "If there was magic on this blade," she said, "I know you can find it friend Buras," she said as she sat down. Her legs were shaking a bit but she gave no other outward impression of the difficulty she was having with this entire situation.

General Vlog approached her and placed a hand on her shoulder, "Truly you prove this day that youa re a capable Lord of the House of Ferregard." he said and then went back to his seat.

Magana nodded to him but she was shocked by his thoughts, and even more shocked that he'd made the effort to come across the room to make them known to her. When she looked at the rest of the Ferregard they nodded to her as well. Perhaps Aruk will ahve inadvertently brought the delegation together in unity. She could only hope that was the case.

She was so very glad to Garrick sit up. She looked over to Buras and smiled, "Your fellow Berkak is not dead. I am so relieved and thankful."

The Arbiter then spoke about the poisoned wine and she frowned, "This is madness," she said and shook her head. She knew she would require her people to obey, and comply with those wishes and divulge anything they knew of such things.

@Beowulf

• Love
"Like I knew he would. Thank you." Buras told Magana, taking the dagger from her with careful hands. "And if people were being arrested and executed just for looking suspicious, I doubt many of us would be here. You didn't do anything wrong, not until you break our laws in our land and insult our honor in front of us." This he said to Kylessa as he stared at the dagger, turning it over in his hands but not studying it with magic quite yet. He had no doubt in his mind of what he'd find. There would be no runes added to this one after it had been forged, it looked far to fancy for that. Everything it would have would be in the blade itself, if not the hilt as well. If he could take the blade out, then he could use the hilt as teaching material for Magana.

"It's not madness, it's simply business. War creates opportunities for certain people to make a rather large sum of gold. Not every blacksmith and engineer is tired of making weapons of war. And I can remember when the prices for good Ferregard Iron, Jabari Silver, and Human (forgot their name, sorry) Coal nearly became to much for me to afford. Some people's hearts grow warm only when they see the shine of coins, copper to gold." He knew the mortals weren't perfect, that they sought out personal gain. It was simply in their nature. "I will investigate the clans, Arbiter." Almost every clan worth it's salt had a brewery, with only a few really ever gaining huge popularity outside of the clan. He wouldn't be surprised if they had the materials to make the poison as well as the equipment, let alone a way to hide it in many drinks to be given or sold to enemies. It could take months to search every clan's brewery and even then they might not find everything. But it would be better then to just leave it as it was.

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.