House of the Dragon (TV Series Discussion Thread)

Reina

The Dark Queen
Original poster
STAFF MEMBER
DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. One post per day
  2. Multiple posts per week
  3. 1-3 posts per week
  4. One post per week
  5. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
In the mornings usually but only during the week. Weekends are devoted to the family.
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  3. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
Genres
Modern, Magical, Romance, Medieval, Fantasy, Slice of Life
p19657355_b_h8_af.jpg

I just realized that there is no discussion thread for the HBO series "House of the Dragon"! I know that there are quite a few Game of Thrones fans on this site and we've successfully discussed the show and the world of Westeros before. So I thought we'd get a discussion thread going on this hit show!

And just a fair warning:

e3af70843dc072df7517a701b84efcee5506d9c3_hq.jpg

Simple ground rule: this is a full spoiler zone. If you have not caught up on the episodes, you are reading at your own risk. Members may choose to be nice and throw things in spoiler tags but it's meant to be a thread for talking about episodes as they air. Be warned if you haven't watched the episodes yet!

BUT: If you've read the stories and know the outcome from the books, please place anything like that in spoiler tags. This thread is meant to be a discussion on the show only.

We only have a few weeks left until the final episodes air so let's discuss. Episodes 1-8 are currently open for discussion!
What is everyone thinking about the show so far?
Any favorite characters?
Who's story are you watching closely?
Are you rooting for anyone? (remember this is GOT, don't get tooo attached to anyone *wink wink*)
Predictions on the course of the show?
Favorite scenes?

Can we just talk about how Viserys has been dying since like episode 2?! Is no one going to mention that that man was a white walker?! How the heck was he alive with huge holes in his literal face!?!

Yet, it was my absolute favorite part of that episode. I loved how Viserys comes to Rhaenyra's rescue. He is so blind to her but he stuck by his word and dragged himself to the throne for her. He freaking screwed it all up in the end with Alicent but he tried.

Speaking of Alicent, I hate her. That is all. And freaking Otto Hightower too. They can both be impaled. And all their freaking spawn.

Give me all the Daemon! I love him! He is absolutely my favorite character. He's so twisted and such a badass at the same time. Love it.

I can only hope to age as well as Criston Cole.

I can only hope to age as well as Criston Cole.
Right?! How do you age up almost everyone and Sir Criston doesn't even get a wrinkle?
Aging up Daemon has consisted of merely changing his hairstyles as well so there's also that.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA//compared to the books the show has actually been a bit of a disappointment for me, but its plenty entertaining, even my judgey ass cant deny that

aemma not having dark hair imo takes away sm of the inherent INTRIGUE of whether rhaenyra's children are legitimate or bastards. it also lessens rhaenyra's... cunning? it makes her look stupid asf and not in a good way that makes sense narratively??? but the actresses playing her have done such magnificent jobs its almost forgivable

there have been a handful of scenes that blew me away tho. last episode hit a lil too close for home, as i've been taking care of my dad the past few months before he inevitably goes into hospice and bruh lemme tell yA the scene where rhaenyra is crying at his bedside at night, asking why he made her heir had me sobbing. same when viserys crown fell and daemon came to pick it up,,,

i've read a few people say that that scene was improv'd a bit, but i dunno how true it is

viserys is weird, cause his character is almost nothing like the books, and yet he's stolen this season with great complex writing and an excellent portrayal by paddy considine

OH AND IM JUST REALLY UPSET THAT THEY DIDNT START A GENERATION PRIOR BC WE STAN GOOD QUEEN ALYSANNE

there have been a handful of scenes that blew me away tho. last episode hit a lil too close for home, as i've been taking care of my dad the past few months before he inevitably goes into hospice and bruh lemme tell yA the scene where rhaenyra is crying at his bedside at night, asking why he made her heir had me sobbing. same when viserys crown fell and daemon came to pick it up,,,
This. Can relate. My grandfather passed last year in hospice. Viserys in the bed reminded me so much of how he looked in his final days. It definitely hit in the feels.

viserys is weird, cause his character is almost nothing like the books, and yet he's stolen this season with great complex writing and an excellent portrayal by paddy considine
Paddy is a phenomenal actor. I absolutely love what he has done with Viserys' character. Amazing actor. 10/10.

• Love
Reactions: rissa
Big set up episode tonight. Any thoughts?

I'm not caught up yet but I will forever be salty at all the timeskips we get and the fact that we never got to see more of Vhagar with Laena.

Last night we got a BIG taste of Vhagar!

Let the war begin!

Bruh, that scene before the ending though with Aemmond riding Vhagar!

Rhaenyra's face at the end of the season finale. Time to be "Queen of Ash and Bones", imo 😁

Rhaenyra's face at the end of the season finale. Time to be "Queen of Ash and Bones", imo 😁

The scene with the two dragons was amazing! I loved it.
Aemmond's face when he knew he F'd up, priceless!

I'm excited for what Rhaenyra will do!

• Love
Reactions: iridescent

I ain't going to lie that it did scare me a little. I jumped so hard 😂 But I'm wondering if he's going to tell anyone.

I'm excited too! I need the new season like now. Left us with a great ending.

I ain't going to lie that it did scare me a little. I jumped so hard 😂 But I'm wondering if he's going to tell anyone.

Well if he doesn't open his own mouth, Rhaenyra's dragons will definitely do the talking lol.

I'm surprised I liked this show so much! I honestly didn't think I would but it definitely delivered.

Well if he doesn't open his own mouth, Rhaenyra's dragons will definitely do the talking lol.

I'm surprised I liked this show so much! I honestly didn't think I would but it definitely delivered.
lol Truth!

I honestly wasn't surprised. I have been dying for a Dance of the Dragons telling and I love the Targaryens, so I knew it was going to be epic. Glad that they didn't disappoint!

I've been saying Cregan wrong this whole time.

Wasn't sure if I was going to watch this or not but I started it on an impulse the other night and binged the entire thing rather than sleeping. I enjoyed it for the most part. Some especially great acting and interesting characters. I wasn't sure about Matt Smith for Daemon at first but he won me over pretty fast.

I don't hate the time skips but I definitely would've enjoyed more time/scenes before each one, especially with such a large cast. I didn't care about Lucerys at all, for example. The scene was fantastic though. Vhagar demolishing Arrax was wild.

Laenor and Rhaenyra's dance at their wedding was neat. Additionally, RIP Laena, I would've liked to see more of you.

Was I the only one expecting a special episode yesterday? just me? cool 😂

I don't hate the time skips but I definitely would've enjoyed more time/scenes before each one, especially with such a large cast.
Definitely this. I feel like there could have been more episodes to Season 1 at least.
Was I the only one expecting a special episode yesterday? just me? cool
Not just you! I miss the show already!

• Love
Reactions: iridescent
That last episode was deplorable.