Horror Role-Play Ideas

D

Dooley

Original poster
General
Due to my Tabletop thread not gaining much traction and my unwavering want to revisit the Play-by-Post scene, I've decided to try another approach. Recently I've began revisiting some of the greats of the 90's horror scene. If you can remember back to that time; you could once tune into Scifi and see and new original features vampires, werewolves, or some other monstrosity every other day. They were often needlessly bloody and filled with gratuitous nudity but somehow still managed to keep you interested enough until the credits rolled. That's kind of the air I've been searching for in RP for the past few weeks. I'm in a VtM game and it serves to meet that need fairly well, but the mechanics sometimes get in the way of the themes.

To that end I've decided once again to appeal to you good people of Iwaku, before trying other sites. My hope is that a few good people can come together and create some good old horror! As for plot and setting, I've a few ideas I'd like to workshop with all of you. Some of it stems from my Tabletop experience, but most is just general themes I've grown to love over the years. For now this IS just an interest check. I'd like to get at least three other people committed to one of the latter mentioned premises before moving forward with the RP. I will say beforehand, Activity is very important to me. I use Discord to coordinate all my games. So if for some reason you aren't generally active on Discord or just prefer not using it at all, than this game IS NOT for you. Now on to the good stuff!

Plot

I've basically got three ideas in mind for a plot:

1. Unexplained Phenomena
One of our characters has just moved into a new house. It had been vacant for many years and needs a good deal of maintenance to repair, so they got it for a really good deal. However, after moving in strange things began occurring. Noises coming from nowhere, doors closing by themselves, pots falling from the rack. All of which unnerving the character to the point of calling their friends to come stay with them. They do, and after which things only seemingly get worse.

Now we can spin a lot of variation from this. The general premise I was going for was something like Paranormal Activity, but we could just as easily go another route. Maybe someone inherited a spooky family mansion? Maybe it's not a house or a mansion, but a cabin in the woods? I'm open to all possibilities. The core theme behind this idea is a haunting of some kind, most of the rest can be molded around any setting.

2. Deadly Changes
Over the past few month there have been a string of animal mutilations. Authorities are saying it's most likely a bear and are cautioning everyone to be wary at night. Our characters are college students home for Summer Break. There's a party in the woods near the river and they all attend, making the most of their freedom before having to return to class. During this little excursion one of our character breaks off from the others, heading into the forest for whatever reason. When they do, they are attacked! They survive the encounter, but afterwards begin noticing things about themselves and others they've never seen before.

So yeah, this is a werewolf RP. I've actually done this one before and really enjoyed it. Typically it's set either in the Pacific Northwest or somewhere in the South. Usually, the GM makes the players roll during the party/outing/reason they're in the woods. Whoever rolls closest to the number chosen by the GM is the one who is bitten. Now I've seen times where no one wanted to be bitten and decided to just search for the werewolf without anyone being one. I've also seen where everyone just agreed to let one person be it without rolling. Now I prefer the rolling method myself because it adds a bit of fear to the game. We can of course discuss this if we choose this plot.

3. The Truth is Out There

Strange lights in the sky were reported over a small town. People phoned in various reports to local law enforcement, tying up the lines completely. A couple of researchers from a nearby monitoring station have been dispatched to collect data and testimonies of the people of the town. Their goal, the verify if this was truly an explainable event or a hoax. The people of the town are suspicious of outsiders though, and around every corner it seems as if something is being hidden just out of sight. As tensions mount a simple search for answers becomes a fight for life itself.

This plot I think is a bit more introspective and mature. It deals with a lot more mystery and inner turmoil than anything else. The general theme for this would be the bounds of madness effecting those touched by the unbelievable. Even when someone is willing to listen to you it's either to make fun or gawk. Some players would be the researchers and others citizens of the town. Their stances on if this was real or not can vary, and we will focus on them coming to terms with the events as they continue.

Other
Now I had planned a fourth entry, but I think Allison is Missing by @Chris_Reaper pretty much covers it. I'll close by saying all of these ideas are flexible. I'm here to workshop something that enough people find interesting for a group to form. If you have any questions or ideas please do voice them here or in a PM. I'm open to criticism as always, and any new plots would be great to add to our roster.

Reactions: Chris_Reaper
Thanks for the shout out man, glad you enjoyed my premise enough to cover it here. I also enjoyed your number three on this list, always been a big X-Files fan myself...so anything to do with UFOs and possible government conspiracies, always has my attention.

I was definitely going for an X-Files vibe with it. The whole "This small town is more than it seems" theme really intrigues me!

Reactions: Chris_Reaper
God, I love all these ideas. The ones that clicked most were 1 and 2, but they're all good.

Like the idea of playing the weird neighbor to whoever lives in the spooky house, being pretty much myself in the woods lol, or a random perhaps appalachian bystander witness to the sky lights.