Hope’s Gate Asylum (Horror/Realistic/Modern)

Scara The Wanderer

You're my friend now, we're having tacos later!
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. Multiple posts per week
  2. 1-3 posts per week
  3. One post per week
Online Availability
My schedule is very erratic but I get email notifications
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Nonbinary
  3. Transgender
  4. Agender
  5. Primarily Prefer Male
  6. Primarily Nonbinary
Genres
Likes: Slice-of-life (sometimes), modern/realistic, light fantasy, light scifi/futuristic, supernatural, light horror, mystery
Dislikes: Furry, historical, anything super extreme scifi
[No fancy BBCode yet because I'm away from my laptop and still bad at it]

Once upon a time, Hope's Gate Institution was a well-renowned asylum known for it's high-tech and modern methods of treatment. On the outside, it was a beautiful establishment with nothing to imply anything sinister or suspicious.

On the inside… it was a different story. Many years ago a terrible tragedy occurred involving the deaths of several patients and two members of staff. At the time of the supposed accident, it was an incident swept under the rug. Older staff members and patients may have caught wind of what had happened, but no one was allowed to talk about it.

For a few years things went on as if nothing happened. But one day, exactly 5 years after the date of the incident, strange and paranormal things began to occur. From unknown writings on the wall, objects randomly falling and breaking, and electricity shortages, it became more difficult for those who knew the truth to conceal it. They say that you can hear the voices of the deceased late into the night. But what do they say?

Welcome to my first role play group! This is a modern-setting RP that takes place in a haunted asylum, though most don't know it's haunted. It will function like a real life mental institution, the main difference being that patients aren't force-confined to their rooms except for at night. In my experience that gets boring fast, patients will be free to roam around the facility during the day to encourage more interactions. Here are some ground rules:

1. This RP is intended for all ages (13+), so please keep things appropriate and rule-abiding
2. I don't care if you play multiple characters or just one. I would prefer you fill more than one role amongst your characters (so both patient and staff characters). Make sure you can handle the characters you play. There may be ways to kill them off later, but it's preferable not having to do that all the time.
3. 1 paragraph minimum. Feel free to write more, but I don't want to see any one liners or posts that are only 2-3 sentences.
4. Basic RP etiquette applies here. No god modding or power playing, etc.
5. No OOC drama or fighting. Take it to private settings. The RP can and probably will have dramatic elements in it, but please keep it civil OOC.
6. There is no age limit for any role, though please keep in mind that doctors and nurses would be in their late 20s at earliest. Guards can be younger but would still be adults
7. This should go without saying, but this RP is not a place for ableism and mockery. Due to the nature of an asylum, most patients will have some sort of mental illness and many will have trauma. Please be respectful if you portray these things. If you use your characters to mock these things you will be asked to leave. I take it very personally.
8. Please try to respond at least once every 3-4 days. If you'll be absent, please check in OOC and we will try to work things out. I don't expect a billion posts a day but just try to be active.

With all the rules out of the way, I present to you the character sheet. Feel free to add more info than required. For appearance, I don't care what kind of picture you use. I personally make mine on Picrew or use anime pictures, but it doesn't matter to me.

You may be a patient, doctor, nurse, or guard. If you can, try to keep a balance between the roles.

Name:

Role:

Gender/Pronouns:

Orientation:

Diagnoses/Conditions:

Appearance (1-2 paragraphs minimum WITHOUT picture):

Personality (1-2 paragraphs minimum):

Background (1-2 paragraphs minimum):

Relationships (optional):

Likes (optional):

Dislikes (optional):

Strengths (3 minimum, must match weaknesses):

Weaknesses (3 minimum, must match weaknesses):

Extra:

I probably will not respond to each application unless I need you to fix something. If you receive a "Like" reaction from me, you're good to go.

Player List-

Patients:

Nurses:

Doctors:

Guards:

We will start the RP when we have 4 approved players. Currently I am the only game master. As the RP gets bigger I may need a partner. Once this gets a bit bigger, you can PM me if interested.[/hr][/hr][/hr][/hr]

• Creative
Reactions: Blood Lightning
Name: Abby Walker

Role: Patient

Gender/Pronouns: Female She/Her

Orientation: Asexual lesbian

Diagnoses/Conditions: DID (Dissociative Identity Disorder), BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder), PTSD, Depression, Anxiety

Appearance (1-2 paragraphs minimum WITHOUT picture): Picture. She looks very frail0E442766-86C4-45F8-AB57-84ECC7EAC509.png

Personality (1-2 paragraphs minimum): Abby has dissociative identity disorder. She has 3 distinct alters that may take over in certain situations (such as high stress). They each have their own personalities as depicted below:

Abby: Abby is introverted with a love to read. She will usually be seen in the corner of the room curled with a book instead of socializing. If you get the chance to speak with her, she starts out shy but will become more talkative as she warms up to you. She is very passionate over the things she's interested in, to the point she can be a little obsessive. If she thinks you don't like her, she gets very insecure and tends to go back into her shy self.

Cora: Cora is a protector for Abby. She is very protective in an aggressive way. Not only will she physically act in self defense but she will often instigate physical fights. Often times she will end up in restraints or solitary confinement due to her aggressive nature. When she speaks, she is very snarky, sarcastic, and vulgar in language. She does not warm up to people easily, but she usually only acts on those she sees as a threat (whether they actually are or not)

Lisa: Lisa is very timid. She will back away from people and try to remain as secluded as possible. She has a tendency to scream if you touch her or get too close. She doesn't typically engage in conversation and tends to hide from people.

Charlie: Charlie is a child alter. She is naive to others' emotions. She is very playful and hyperactive. She is also hypersensitive to anger, and may cry if she thinks you're upset with her. Unlike the other three she will often attempt to approach you and start conversation (usually asking to play)

Background (1-2 paragraphs minimum): Abby was committed to the asylum at a very young age. She was the sole survivor in a very severe house fire. Police were convinced that Abby, who was only a small child at the time, was the cause of the fire. She was sent to Hope's Gate for "safety reasons". Whether these reasons were valid or not, Abby doesn't remember any of it. These memories were blocked out when she developed dissociative identity disorder from this as well as other unknown/unnamed trauma.

Abby was basically raised in Hope's Gate. She was committed for life, so this is where she grew up.

Many people look at her and wonder why she is there. Cora often will scare people away from harming her, though that got Abby into more trouble a lot of the time.

Around the time of "the tragedy", Abby was a teenager. She never figured out any details, just that people died. She prefers to remain ignorant about it.

Relationships (optional): Most staff members in the asylum are familiar with Abby, many are familiar with her alters as well. She isn't really friends with anyone, but from the staff's perspective she's one of the more "likeable" patients (likeable as in cooperative, lack of better term)

Likes (optional): Books, card games, warm meals

Dislikes (optional): Cold meals, loud noises

Strengths (3 minimum, must match weaknesses): [Combining all 4 alters as one, since this technically is 1 character sheet] Decent in a fight if necessary, very intelligent, easy to get along with (except for Cora)

Weaknesses (3 minimum, must match weaknesses): [Combining all 4 alters as one, since this technically is 1 character sheet] Introverted to the point of hindrance, has a tendency to wind up in more trouble, not a quick thinker

Extra: I've done a lot of research on DID and BPD, and have close friends who have both. I have a tendency to use "proper"/medical terminology which may be confusing. Feel free to ask for clarification

Name: Riley Stauffer

Role: Guard

Gender/Pronouns: Non-binary They/Them

Orientation: Demi

Diagnoses/Conditions: N/A

Appearance (1-2 paragraphs minimum WITHOUT picture): Picture60CCF755-5539-4BEF-848F-4FFAF68A33AF.png

Personality (1-2 paragraphs minimum): Riley is very stubborn. They are very loud, for lack of better term. They don't have much of a filter and sometimes says things that offend or hurt others. They are very defensive and don't take shit from anyone. They have a hard time getting along with others.

Background (1-2 paragraphs minimum): Riley grew up with very strict and stern parents. They weren't allowed to do much. They got into a lot of trouble at school that mostly stemmed from parental frustration. They ended up getting expelled mid senior year, and by that point they gave up and looked into working.

They took the job as a guard at Hope's Gate because it was the highest paying job that they were qualified for as a high-school-dropout. They have no clue what to expect in an asylum, let alone a haunted one.

Relationships (optional): N/A (yet)

Likes (optional):

Dislikes (optional):

Strengths (3 minimum, must match weaknesses): Very strong in combat, also very fast runner, quick reflexes, not a pushover

Weaknesses (3 minimum, must match weaknesses): Hard to get along with due to lack of filter, they have a hard time expressing emotions, "brawn over brains", stubborn, oblivious (to the plot)

Extra:[/hr]

Name: Haro Tachibana

Role: Patient

Gender/Pronouns: Female she/her

Orientation: Straight

Diagnoses/Conditions: Anxiety, depression, and ptsd

Appearance (1-2 paragraphs minimum WITHOUT picture): She's a pale, slim girl who stands at 5'6. She has black, which is cut short with bangs. She has grey eyes and mostly wears a large button down shirt that belonged to a male. It's usually long enough to wear as a dress itself but she still wears either shorts or pants with it as well as some old sneakers.

Personality (1-2 paragraphs minimum): Haro is a very quiet individual. She oftens stays to herself and is very shy due to anxiety. Despite her fear of being around people, she doesn't like to be alone. There aren't many people she trusts and for those she does trusts, she is very loyal and dear to them. When she has almost frequent suicidal thoughts, she stays away from people and things she could use to kill herself with or use for self harm.

Background (1-2 paragraphs minimum): she grew up in a nice neighborhood but in a terrible household. Her mother was taking care of her and her older brother since her father wasnt around often despite him living in their home. And when her father was home, he was mostly drunk or high off of some type of drug. He was very abusive and most nights she'd have to listen to her mother sob as glass bottles were thrown against the walls and as she was hit multiple times. There were also many times her father would beat her and her brother without reason. She would often times go to school with bruises and cuts on her arms and legs. It was so bad one day, her brother gave her his shirts for cover the wounds.

Ever since then, she's never been right in the head. She was depressed, gained anxiety from being bullied at school, emotionally, physically, and mentally drained, and is easily triggered by the sound of glass shattering, being yelled at without reason, or being hit. She often tried to commit suicide or run away frome home. But her brother was always the one to save her and make her want to come back. He was eventually the one to admit her to Hope's Gate for her own protection. After she was placed into the asylum, she was told that he had been beaten to death by her father which broke her more than anything.

Relationships (optional): Mother (unknown), father (deceased), brother(deceased)

Likes (optional): Reading, writing

Dislikes (optional): Alcohol, drugs, glass bottles

Strengths (3 minimum, must match weaknesses): Fast reflexes, has a large amount of stamina from running long distances as a child, she is good with first aid since she'd help tend to her mother's and her brother's wounds

Weaknesses (3 minimum, must match weaknesses): Flinches easily, mumbles often, isn't very social so it's difficult to get along with and befriend her

a85f5c8b9876fd0c5802ed0828f1f32d.jpg

Last edited:
I'd be very interested in this and would like to work on a character, preferably a nurse

Will be back to write up said character <3

WIP
63730790bdfe06cd724e3326f0fc92f8.jpg

Name: Aliyah Wilkinson.
Role: Nurse.

Gender/Pronouns: Female. She/her.
Orientation: Pansexual.

Diagnoses/Conditions: Undiagnosed PTSD. Social anxiety.

Appearance: Shoulder length red-dyed hair, cut very neatly. Her face is slender and gently rounded, often with a touch of makeup. Aliyah was the victim of a home invasion when she was a teenager and was injured during the incident, for which she carries the scar running down over her left eye. Hazel eyes slight discolouration in left eye due to the injury. Her natural hair colour is brown and when she leaves it too long without being dyed, her brown roots can be seen.

Aliyah wears her uniform to work. But dresses more casually on her time off, except of course when going out. Aliyah has quite an expensive wardrobe, thanks to her parents, and likes to dress nice when the opportunity presents itself with dresses, tights, and high heels. Aliyah usually has some light makeup; foundation and eye shadow. When dressing more fancifully she wears more. Typically has her nails painted, mostly darker colours such as purples and black. Should wear glasses but refuses to as she is afraid that it will draw attention to her scar.

She has fairly wider hips and larger breasts, with a slightly chubby belly which she is not overly fond of. Her arms and legs have a little weight to them. She stands at 5'8" and weighs roughly 140 lbs.

Personality: She can be timid and afraid of confrontation at times, with a small package of nervous twitches and little coping mechanisms. Though she is hard working, willing to put her time and effort into anything and once she's started something Aliyah is reluctant to stop. She often works over time or brings paperwork home with her.

Aliyah is honest, kind, and caring. Traits she most values in others. Though she can be naïve and too trusting - having fallen for the wrong person too many times, only to be hurt. This has lead her to be quite socially shy. Not mention she gets embarrassed about her scar and often goes to great lengths to distract others from it (such as dying her hair or even wearing distracting/revealing clothes). To this end she often puts on a confident front.

Background: Aliyah's parents were well off, to say the least. And throughout her childhood she was spoiled, unaware of what the world was really like. Until the divorce. When her parents split up, she was taken to live with her mom. For the first time in her life she had gone hungry, been unable to afford the heating, and even used public transportation.

As a school student she swore to raise herself and her mom out of their desperate times and earn back everything her father had taken from them. So she set to studying hard. Pushing herself through school, getting good grades, and working part time to go to college. But all of her hard work was for nothing. Because one night tragedy struck. A robber broke into her home. Aliyah tried to resist and fight back, one of the few times in her life she had stood up for herself, but he lashed out with his knife and cut deep wound into her face as well as causing some damage to her left eye

After waking up in a hospital, with stiches holding together her swollen face, she was told the news. Her mother had also been hurt in the robbery gone wrong. She had bled to death before the paramedics arrived. When Aliyah was discharged from the hospital she packed her bags, left that crummy house behind and moved away. She left for a town where nobody knew her. Rented an apartment and had multiple locks installed on the door. She started her new job as a nurse at the Hope's Gate Institution and has been working there for a little over three years.

Relationships: None that have lasted, as of yet.

Likes: Jazz music, alcohol, and relaxing during her free time. Sweet food. Going to bars, despite the assholes at them.

Dislikes: Loud people. Confrontation, arguments, or fighting. Frilly drinks, though she'd never admit that to anyone. People looking at her scar or feeling like they are. Her own reflection. Her tummy.

Strengths: Honest, even if speaking the truth is to her own detriment. Dedicated and hard working. Intelligent and knowledgeable.

Weaknesses: Unconfident, afraid to speak out against others. Always tired, often over working herself to exhaustion. Has nervous ticks and behaviour, such as pick at her fingers, playing with her hair, and rapidly tapping her leg.

WIP

Last edited:
This is the first roleplay group I've applied to in almost 8 years, so apologies if my writing is a bit rusty! EDIT: Forgot the background, added it in!

download20220200221806.png
(Picrew creator is uomo for those interested)

Name: Matthew Hanover

Role: Doctor

Gender/Pronouns: Man, he/him

Orientation: Aromantic asexual

Diagnoses/Conditions: Chronic fatigue syndrome

Appearance: Matthew's lanky stature never did him any favors, requiring him to duck under door frames or risk a mild concussion. His coffee-stained hair feathers out from his face almost weightlessly, easily ruffled by a passing breeze. His amber eyes--despite being ringed with traces of exhaustion-- are alight with curiosity and openness. Matthew is usually found wearing loose button down shirts and plain slacks, offset by the several ear piercings he's collected over the years and the small tattoo of two interlocking triangles on the side of his right hand. When he's not working, he tends to dress in plain shirts and slim-cut jeans.

Personality: Careful and composed, Matthew takes his time to choose what he says to others. His eyes never stop moving; always taking in the details of his surroundings and reading other people's body language, though the gentleness in his movements tend to put people at ease.

His outlook of the world is more realistic than optimistic or pessimistic, and his clear-cut way of speaking reflects that. Instead of indulging in dreams of wild success and power, he finds joy in the simpler things in life; the way the forest smells after heavy rain, the warmth of a mug in his hands, and even the rarity of a good night's rest. That also means he is more likely to give into his own impulses, like his desire to run despite the intense pain that will inevitably knock him down in the days following.

Background: Matthew grew up in an affluent family as an only child, where he was pushed hard into excelling in both school and in social life. His father was a lawyer while his mother worked as a surgeon. Every move he made until he left for college was judged and graded. His parents were adamant in making sure he knew the hardships of life despite their wealth, signing him up for volunteer work and after-school activities where he could mingle with people of different backgrounds.

Many sleepless nights of studying and self-reflection led to burnout, and he struggled to complete his coursework without turning to almost inhuman amounts of caffeine consumption. He graduated with a masters degree in psychology by the skin of his teeth and immediately moved as far away from his family as he could get, preferring to forge his own path in the medical field instead of standing in his mother's shadow.

Likes: Math rock and progressive metal, hot tea with a touch of honey, and frequenting art museums in winter.

Dislikes: Stadium country, whiskey, large crowds and bright, sunny days.

Strengths: Logical, compassionate, brave, open-minded, charismatic

Weaknesses: Reckless, impulsive, blunt, unambitious, aloof

Last edited:
Very interested in this!