Hope for healing

Jake smiled a bit and sighed, looking at the floor.

"To be quite honest...I'm not sure what to think...or even if we have broken up or not. The thing I am sure of is that She used to be a big part of who I used to be but I don't feel like me anymore so...who knows. But I will have to work that out with her..."

Suddenly the room went quiet as his question filled her head. She clenched her jaw then let it relax as she looked him over. He smiled warmly, happily.

"So be honest...what do you think...?" a small smirk creeped across his face, just like Jake used to.

"How about this." She moved closer to him careful not to disturb the tray of food. "You and I... us.." Kelsey smiled at the idea of an 'us'. "We...date? but in a weird way... you can live with me, but we date you know? Go out? Get to know each other like two normal people.. even though what is happening is completely.. not normal... and once we 'date' I will tell you what I think?" She raised her eyebrows as she asked the question.

Everything in her wanted him to say okay, wanted him to call Ava and break up. Even though she was hesitant to accept this Jake theory there were signs that she couldn't ignore like his eyes, the smirk he just did, some ways he kissed her. It definitely was something to think about. Quickly she leaned over and kissed him tenderly feeling a quick stab of guilt knowing that he and Ava probably were not over.

"From what you do know... can you tell me how you feel about me?" her heart raced as she asked the question, nervous for the answer.

Jake finnished eating as he listened to her...She scooted closer to him and he looked over at her. When she said us...something inside of him sparked but he didn't know what it was yet. He was a bit suprised at her suggestion but he wasn't against it. After all...he did enjoy her company more so then Ava's.

"That sounds great to me. After all...things are rather strained between me and Ava right now...eventuly..." he sighed. "I will have to work things out with her for weather we stay togeather or...Break up."

Jake moved the tray onto the night stand next to him and thanked her for food. As he did she leaned over and kissed him tenderly. She tried to pull away quickly but as soon as she did he sat up a bit, and bit back a wince before looking at her in the eyes and leaning towards her, gently placing his lips against hers. He moved a hand, gently tangling his fingers in her hair, pulling her into the kiss a bit deeper. After a few moments he pulled away, a smile on his lips. Then she asked the question.

"I feel like you are very important to me and that I should be here...but I don't know why...and I feel like there in something I needed to ask you...it was also very important..."

This man was shaping up to be a pretty amazing man, but the fact they could still happen to work out scared her. It wasn't like she had claim on Aiden.. he was technically still Ava's. After taking a quick glance at the clock she sighed. Her sister was going to be in here in a couple hours. They were going shopping because Shae was still convinced that Kelsey wasn't living her life.

"I need to go get read," Kelsey said softly and gently traced Aiden's lips with her fingertips.

She crawled off the bed and began unbuttoning her shirt letting it fall to the floor just as she got to the bathroom. The door stayed cracked as Kelsey took her shower. If Aiden needed anything she wanted to be able to hear him. During her shower she continued to think about what he said about him being Jake. It was all so confusing. She couldn't explain why he did things like Jake. She couldn't explain why she feels as if she is kissing Jake when their lips touch. It was too much..

After a bit she came out in her towel. It never occurred to her that he was a stranger.. she was oddly comfortable with him. She began rummaging through the closet. A lot of Jake's shirts were still there. His chest of drawers were still filled with his stuff. Her fingers grazed lovingly over his shirts. Finally she pulled out a simple purple tank top and a black hoodie. She didn't really feel like getting really dressed up. Then the thought of having to leave Aiden hit her.

"I don't think I'm going out... I don't want to leave you alone."

Jake relaxed a bit as she traced his lips. He smiled a bit and was a bit sad when she said she was going to go out; that she needed to get ready. The man nodded and just laid back on the bed as she left to go get ready. He listened as she showered, his eyes closed. The sound of the running water soothing...Jake opened his eyes as Kelsey came into the room dressed in...it took a moment for him to register that she was only wrapped in a towel. He knew that he should look away but he didn't, swallowing a lump in his throat.

Jake remained silent as he continued to watch her dress. Once coverd up a fair amount she went over to a dresser, opening it. He couldn't tell what she was looking at but she grazed whatever was in it lovingly. Kelsey pulled out a purple tank top that seemed familar. Jake's eyes caressed her body as she slipped it on, it being a couple sizes too big for her. None the less he thought she was just as beautiful. Then she turned to him, saying she wasn't going to go. Jake looked at her and frowned.

"Kelsey...Your not going to be any good moping about here. Why not have some fun? I can...try and manage."

He smiled convincingly and waved her over, gently pulling her into a kiss. A few long moments later he pulled away and reached up, caressing her cheek, stroking it with his thumb lovingly.

"Just go Kelsey, I'm fine here."

"No," she said softly, but stubbornly, after they kissed. "I'm not moping. I have you." Her eyes lit up a bit and she nodded.

Kelsey gathered the tray and walked out of the room and to the kitchen. After setting it down she called Shae. A few moments passed before she came back in the room; a determined look on her face.

"You are getting out of bed. You're going to sit on the couch. I don't think you're happy just laying there."

Heading over to his side of the bed she took his hand to help him up. From there she led him slowly to the living room and eased him onto the couch. It was weird, but it felt like everything was complete. He... Aiden.. Jake.. she didn't know, but he was here. Kelsey couldn't explain her feelings. Her thoughts were cut short when her phone rang. It was Ava. The two girls carried on a conversation then Kelsey hung up.

"Well, Ava is coming over. She wants to talk. She wants me here," her voice was strong but there was a tinge of worry.

Her voice wasn't the give-a-way to her feelings; it was her eyes. They looked at Aiden with so much emotion. They were filled with worry,fright, longing... pain? She was scared of losing him.

Time seemed to have gone by too fast. All of a sudden there was a knock and Aiden's little blonde was at the door. With a sigh Kelsey opened the door and let her in. Ava sat beside Aiden... she had the right to.. she was still his but it hurt. Kelsey sat in a chair across from couch bringing her puppy into her lap, using her to gain strength and stay collected.

"I know you guys have shared..... a kiss, but I am still dating him." Ava looked at Kelsey seriously; she only responded with a nod. "Aiden needs to decide who and what he wants. I can't stay home knowing the man I love is at some girls house."

Kelsey's eyes hardened when Ava said some girl. She was a guest in the apartment...Kelsey's jaw began clenching and relaxing as she forced a pleasant smile.

Jake was happy that she decided that, if she didn't, he would have. His legs ached a bit from how long he had been in bed laying down. She came over and helped him up and slowly helped him into the living room. He cringed a bit from walking but at the same time he was happy to be streaching them out. Slowly he fell back onto the couch as the phone rang. He waited as she went over and awnsered it. For a little while Kelsey talked on the phone then came back out, telling him that Ava was coming over. His breathe caught in his throat and he nodded, swallowing the lump.

"O-Of course."

As he looked at her he could tell that something was bothing her...he couldn't tell because of her voice but because of the tragic look in her eyes. After a little while waiting there was a knock at the door. He sighed as Kelsey let in Ava. She came and sat right next to him and Kelsey got that look again...It broke his heart. Kelsey sat across from him, that look in her eyes, puppy on her lap. He listened as Ava explained while she was here...he had to choose. Then Her eyes hardend and he turned his head looking at her. He sighed...thinking a moment before looking at Kelsey.

"I know this is your house Kelsey but may I speak to Ava alone?"

As soon as his awnser was recived he looked back at Ava. Jake scooted away from her a bit, biting his lip for a moment.

"Why does it bother you so much? You don't even know if I"m still your Aiden or not? Kelsey has been very good to me but...at the same time I just don't know Ava..."

There was confusion and pain in his eyes...this was all getting to be too much...

Ava noticed how he moved away. His bitten lip made her nervous. Was this really happening? He brought up a good point about knowing whether or not he was really Aiden. She hoped and prayed it was, but she was seriously starting to doubt it.

"It bothers me because you are mine. You've been mine for awhile and now you were in an accident and that is changing?" She shook her head. "I.. we need an answer. It isn't fair to either of us."

Kelsey was listening on the other side of the wall. She sunk down the wall and sat on the floor. It wasn't right to eavesdrop, but it felt as if her future was in the balance.

"Maybe you should just not see us for awhile," Ava said rather seriously "or you can just come back to me... please Aiden."

She grasped his shirt much like Kelsey did the night when she first kissed him. Ava then leaned in for a kiss. Her lips pressed into his. Maybe if she gave him one passionate kiss he would realize he loved her.

Kelsey knew when everything went silent she either had kissed him or something bad was about to happen. She pushed herself off the ground and bit the inside of her lip. She had to do something to keep herself busy. The bed was a mess but soon she became over came with sad thoughts and instead of making it she grabbed a pillow and held it close to her as she sat in the middle of the bed.

"Aiden Is yours...I don't think I'm Aiden anymore. I feel more like Kelsey's Jake to be honest. He was shot and killed trying to assist a police officer in catching a Bank Robber, I'm sure you heard all about it on the news. How am I supposed to be yours when I feel more like a man that I'm not then a man I am supposed to be?"

He reached up and ever so softly touched Ava's face with the back of his hand.

"And Technically I did leave you and I'm not offically with Kelsey. I'm not seeing anyone...I'm so confused and you forcing me to choose, I-I-"

Before he got a chance to finnish his sentance Ava gripped his shirt and pulled him into a passionate, loving Kiss. He was suprised at first but then leaned into the kiss. Now was the chance to find out weather It was going to be Ava or Kelsey. Her lips were not as soft as Kelsey's...nor were they as warm. Kelsey's kiss was gentle and left a man wanting to kiss her even more. Ava's kiss was different...Strange for some reason. It was hard to relax when it felt like he was...cheating. This did not feel right...

Ava felt the awkwardness of the kiss. She tried to ignore the fact that it no longer felt like their lips matched. After the kiss she stood up, fiddling with the strap on her purse. Slowly she walked to the door and put her hand on the handle and began turning.

"Aiden.. Jake.. whoever you are. You are free from me. Decision made." She forced a smile and left.

Kelsey was still in the bedroom. She heard muffled voices but at this point she didn't care. Everything felt hopeless anyway, but that changed when she heard the door shut. For a moment she stayed right where she was, then curiosity got the best of her. She opened the door and saw only Aiden. No Ava... Kelsey furrowed her eyebrows. This was weird... she thought for sure Aiden would have gone with her.

"Where did Ava go?" She asked as she walked around the couch and sat at the other end.

Everything in her wanted to be by him but if there was about to be bad news she wanted to be able to make a quick escape without too many emotions being seen.

Jake felt the awkwardness of the kiss...and when she pulled away he looked in a different direction, wiping the kiss from his lips. As she left he felt a relief but at the same time an overwhelming sadness. It was like he was letting go of something he had known and loved. Like he was letting go of the first person he had ever felt loved by. It wasn't his emotions but it was breaking his heart. Jake sighed and hung his head. He heard the door click then someone walk out into the living room, taking a place at the end of the couch. Jake looked up at her, pain in his eyes, not even trying to force a smile. She asked him about Ava and he smiled a bit.

"She left...It's over. Ava left...apperently I''m not the person who she thought I was. Oh well i guess...Not like it matters too much I guess..."

Kelsey saw his pain. Her heart broke for him even though part of her was overjoyed. His confusion must really cause problems. She brought her legs up and hugged them, resting her chin on the top of her knees. Should she comfort him? He and Ava just broke up, how much comfort would it be to go over and lean on him? After all Kelsey was the other girl.

"I'm sorry, Aiden," she said softly, looking at him with soft eyes. "You can stay here. We can get your stuff tomorrow?" Kelsey nodded encouragingly "I'm here for you, you know." A small played across her lips, trying to be comforting.

He looked up at her from his seat on the couch and he could see her heart break for him. She tucked her legs against her chest and wrapped her arms around them, resting her chin upon the top of her knees. The look in her eyes was almost as if she was questioning weather or not she should do something. The look in her beautiful eyes was gentle...soft.

"I'm sorry, Aiden." She said. "You can stay here. We can get your stuff tomorrow?"

She nodded, some hope hidden deep inside of her. A hope that he failed to see for himself. Then she told him...I and here for you and that made him feel just a bit better.

"That sounds great, thank you..." he smiled softly at her and scooted closer to her, wrapping his arms around her, pulling her against himself.

It was a Great comfort to know that in this world that was strange and unfamialr to him that someone was willing to take him in...despite his faults.

Kelsey leaned into him, closing her eyes with a sigh. Why does everything have to be so hard? Why couldn't it just be simple? There is no need for all this confusion and emotional turmoil. This man beside her was broken.. hurting.. Prime example of how the world is unfair. Okay, Jake died, and she was left alone, but that is nothing compared to Aiden.. He needed someone.

"We are going to continue to share the same bed though," she teases. "Just because you may or may not be a stranger doesn't mean I'm going to allow myself to be kicked out of my bed."

Kelsey looks up at him and smiled. Her eyes lighting up as she tries to make light of the situation. There has to be some light in everyone's life. Right now, Aiden is turning into hers... why can't she be his?

He closed his eyes as she sighed and leaned into him. Jake wished that all this fog on his mind would clear, that things didn't have to be so hard...What had he done to deserve it? He'd been shot, that's what happened. Karma must have hated him but he didn't know what he did to piss Karma off...whoever she...he...it...was. Atleast he had Kelsey, the one person he could rely upon right now. Jake chuckled a bit as he heard her say that they would have to continue to share a bed and strangely...he didn't mind it at all. Well...strange considering that sharing the bed with Ava for even that short time had felt completly wrong and not to mention awkward.

"I Don't mind, atleast I'm not sleeping in an Allyway somwhere. It couldn't be worse...not that this is bad at all."

He smiled warmly for her and her eyes lit up, it make his heart skip a beat and his expression became lighter. Kelsey seemed like the beautiful light at the end of the tunnel. Something that made his life seem easier then It should be right now. As he looked away he spotted a picture that looked a bit out of place...he stood up and casually walked over to it and moved the painting off the wall. Right in the wall was a medium sized Wall Safe, a number combination keeping it secure...

"What....is this...?"

"Oh, it is a safe a can't figure out the combination to." Kelsey shrugged. "I've tried several times, but I can never get it."

She got up off the couch and stood behind him, her arms wrapped gently around his waist as she lifts up on her tiptoes to place her chin on his shoulder.

"You're so tall," she giggles softly, nipping at his earlobe.

Kelsey glanced up at him from the corner of her eye. This man seemed to be handsome at any angle. Maybe having him around won't be so bad. Nights won't be lonely anymore, someone will be on her couch, more than her voice will fill the air. Joy bubbled up in her chest, a smile playing across her face. She already began to feel as if Aiden was hers... though his theory of him really being Jake stuck in the back of her head.

"I'm glad you are here with me."

It troubled him a bit...something about this safe Kelsey couldn't open was familiar to him...like there was something very important inside. A small frown tugged at his perfect lips. He heard her get up off the couch and come up behind him, gently she wrapped her arms around his waist. Kelsey moved onto her tiptoes and placed her perfectly shaped chin atop his shoulder.

"You're so tall," she said with a soft giggle.

Then he felt her nip at his earlode and he chuckled softly, a light blush coming across his fair cheeks. She spoke again, telling him she was glad he was here. Jake turned around and smiled for her, he leaned down till his mouth was about her earlevel.

"Me too..." he whispered.

Jake leaned in a bit closer and feathered small, loving kisses along her neck and jawline. It made his heart flutter happily and he didn't feel wrong for feeling this...It was like he was supposed to be here...with Kelsey.

She giggled softly and moved around to be in front of him wrapping her arms loosely around his neck. Something inside her matched perfectly with this man. Kelsey pressed her lips against his; her fingers tangled into his hair as she leaned back against the wall. At the moment she didn't care about what was in that safe, what she cared about was right in front of her.

"Does this mean we are together?" Kelsey asked softly, looking up at him with big eyes. She waited patiently waiting for his answer. If he said 'no', she would force herself to understand. After all, he did just go through a break up with someone he was with forever. Who did she think she was thinking about replacing Ava?

"I really like you," she murmured and grasped the front his shirt as she rested her forehead on his chest.

His lips moved against hers as he kissed her back, his lips warm and soft, just like hers. She moved and tangled her fingers in his hair and he leaned in closer to her. Jake kissed her until she pulled away and he smiled as she did. Softly she asked him if they were togeather and looked at him with her beautiful big blue eyes. Jake nodded and kissed her forehead.

"Of course...I do not know who I would rather have than you....No one probably."

She grasped the front of his shirt in her soft, feminine hands, telling him that she really liked him. He smiled goofily at her with a playful grin.

"I really like you too...if you can't tell already."

"I can tell." She giggled soft but was interrupted when there was a knock on the door.

Sadly, she pushed away and opened the door the slightest bit. Shayne was standing there, running his fingers through his hair. He had to do this; he had to tell her. She probably already was head of heels for Jake or Aiden, whatever Kelsey called him.

"Kelsey," he said stiffly.

"Yes?" she asked, confusion in her voice.

"I know I've only known you for a couple days, and the only reason we met was so Jake could tell you he was still here, but in that short amount of time my feelings grew exponentially for you." Shayne looked her in the eyes, begging her to accept him.

Kelsey leaned against the door jam, eyes downcast. She didn't want to hurt him, and she was terribly flattered that he felt the way he did. Shayne had become a friend in the past few days, and she didn't feel like losing him because her feelings didn't match his. With a sigh, she pushed the door open farther allowing Shayne to see Aiden standing in her apartment.

"Shayne, I'm sorry." She shook her head.