Honestly I am scared shitless

L

Levusti

Original poster
First and foremost I want to give a biiiig applause and extend my appreciation to all the nurses, laboratory technicians, phlebotomists, nurse aides, physicians, paramedics, other hospital personnel and the non-hospital civilians who do their best to protect and help those in need. Your work saves lives and provides joy to people's lives. You should feel proud.

So Lev works at a hospital somewhere in East Texas as a medical lab tech. We are about 2 hours away from Dallas.

Today there was a suspected Ebola patient who lives in this area but worked in the same hospital where the current Ebola cases are being treated and this patient is exhibiting the telltale signs of Ebolavirus infection.

I never thought in my dreams that this would happen. It's no longer close to home, it is home.

I am fucking terrified to say the least.

Haha I am not trying to scare you all but I am wanting to say, don't assume you're too far from it.

Remember I am located two hours from Shreveport, Louisiana; Idabel, Oklahoma; and Little Rock, Arkansas. Dallas is also just two hours away and I thought it would NEVER get to where I am.

So yeah. Reality is starting to sink in now that I am not so shaken up.

Be educated and be prepared guise.

TL;DR: IWAKU IS THE BEST AND YOU GUISE NEED TO STAY SAFE. I love yew guise.

Reactions: Sinful_Lust
Ebola transmits through bodily fluids. Wash your hands ALL THE TIME even if you're in a hurry, wear a mask, and help keep the place sterile.

The only reason it's spreading so quickly in Africa is that sterilization is basically impossible there.

Ebola transmits through bodily fluids. Wash your hands ALL THE TIME even if you're in a hurry, wear a mask, and help keep the place sterile.

The only reason it's spreading so quickly in Africa is that sterilization is basically impossible there.

HONEY I GOT A NEGEATIVE PRESSUE BIOSAFETY HOOD/CABINET, SPLASH GUARDS, A FACE SHIELD, A N95 MASK, FLUID RESISTANT LAB COAT, NITRILE GLOVES.

WE EQUIPPED.

But you know another big fear is not only DONNING the personal protective equipment (often abbreviated PPE), but also the proper REMOVAL of the personal protective equipment. Bodily fluids can be transferred by inadvertently touching the fluids while disrobing and then thoughtlessly touch a mucus membrane such as the eyes or a point of entry area like your lips which can transfer organisms into your mouth like when you drink, eat, or smoke.

We're all getting informal retraining and reminders in the proper removal and disposing of PPE. And they are cracking down on bad habits like touching the face, rubbing the eyes, or scratching.

Reactions: Minibit
Aw man dude... If this shit gets real I'm planning on going to school for pathology which means I could be in direct contact with ebola under the microscope if this becomes a larger problem. And while I'm going to medical school I'll be a histology technician.... prepping the infected tissue and probably smearing it all over my body and DYING TT.TT

But for real though. I'm not sure if I'm underestimating or overestimating this issue. BE SAFE LEV I HAVE FAITH IN YOU

With a Urologist mother I'm in the same boat as you with terror. Especially since one of the hospitals she works at does a shitty job sterilizing rooms -.-

Aw man dude... If this shit gets real I'm planning on going to school for pathology which means I could be in direct contact with ebola under the microscope if this becomes a larger problem. And while I'm going to medical school I'll be a histology technician.... prepping the infected tissue and probably smearing it all over my body and DYING TT.TT
But for real though. I'm not sure if I'm underestimating or overestimating this issue. BE SAFE LEV I HAVE FAITH IN YOU
DUDE HISTOLOGY TECHS ARE PRETTY COOL.

But srsly though, histology looks like a hypersci-fi domestic housewife/househusband's domain. I swear, everything looks like deli meat slicers, washing machines, electronic spice racks, and microwaves.

They showed me like two uteri, one that had borne four children and one that had borne none, and the "unused uterus" looked so small compared to the "used" uterus.

AND THEN SHOWED ME A BOOB, AND A LEG. Like a whole leg. THAT WAS CREEPY AND COOL.

But in my opinion, histo techs don't get as cool of a job like lab techs, cause it's mainly the pathologist interpreting it all, at least to my understanding.

That, and it reeks of formalin.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 person
Stay smart and you'll stay alive. Don't touch other people, wash your hands if you touch anything outside your own home, and just become the most obsessive compulsive cleaner for the next couple of weeks.

The United States ain't like Africa. If anywhere can stop the spread of Ebola dead, it'll be in the US.

Reactions: LunaValentine
I live 2 hours away from Ottawa. There's someone with the Ebola virus there right now. My oldest brother lives there with his family. I know this fear all too well. *hugs Lev*

GOOD THING THE DOCTOR'S ADVICE IS SO THOROUGH. I KNOW I'M SLEEPING BETTER AFTER RAZILIN TOLD US HOW WE'RE ALL WORRYING FOR NOTHING.

Reactions: Mid
Oh Levie, you'll be fine. Just stay away from anyone throwing up or acting feverish. Keep clean! Don't freak out. Stay positive! Keep us updated.

But you know Levu, that experimental drug that worked on those doctors/nurses who had it is in production now - they're making more of it, since it worked. So, if those who may have been or were definitely exposed speak up and limit their exposure to others like smart people, they can get treated and maybe we can beat this thing before it becomes an epidemic. Although, I really think the president needs to put on his big boy pants and declare martial law - cut off immigration from Liberia to prevent it from getting to the US. Or those who want to come in should have no choice but to be tested - so they can't lie and say they're not ill, then come here and spread it like wild fire.

But you know Levu, that experimental drug that worked on those doctors/nurses who had it is in production now - they're making more of it, since it worked. So, if those who may have been or were definitely exposed speak up and limit their exposure to others like smart people, they can get treated and maybe we can beat this thing before it becomes an epidemic. Although, I really think the president needs to put on his big boy pants and declare martial law - cut off immigration from Liberia to prevent it from getting to the US. Or those who want to come in should have no choice but to be tested - so they can't lie and say they're not ill, then come here and spread it like wild fire.

Apparently the drug is really hard to.make and can take months. This treatment is not 100% and there were literally only 7 treatments and out of all 7 ppl who recieved this, only like 5 survived. This is because Ebola wasn't a common thing so they didn't feel the need to waste resources like they would for say HIV drugs or the Flu shot. So basically, we're gonna be hearing non stop Ebola crap for a while. =/

O dear, I work in the UK and I heard London might have a case. I live four hours away. I work at hospital too. We work mostly with category 2 and 3 organisms. But we are on the alert too.
It's like a zombie apocalypse :P

GOOD THING THE DOCTOR'S ADVICE IS SO THOROUGH. I KNOW I'M SLEEPING BETTER AFTER RAZILIN TOLD US HOW WE'RE ALL WORRYING FOR NOTHING.
Well, then allow me to exposit.

As long as you get supportive care (i.e., being in a controlled medical environment), such as most developed countries, you have a good chance of surviving.

If you are not, (i.e., third world nations), you will probably die a gruesome, horrible death.

There's a lot more to it than that, but that's about the gist.

Lev, you'll be fine.

Seriously. Wash your hands, keep calm, and keep moving. Have a martini and just continue with your life, just be careful. It's scary, that's for sure. But you will be alright.

Razilin's a doctor?

Get the fuck out - no way.

The United States ain't like Africa.
I want to hear more from this guy.

Razilin's a doctor?
Get the fuck out - no way.
I want to hear more from this guy.
Ting tang, walla walla bing bang, oy yo yo, ho ho ho.

No really though, we should be fine. Just be a little extra careful and we should all be fine. Because, really...

A. Ebola is another deadly but easily preventable disease.

B. Turns out Ebola is the most dangerous thing ever and it annihilates humanity with ease.

If it's A, I take a few extra precautions and I'm fine. If it's B, there's no sense in worrying because whether or not I take precautions I'm a dead man walking anyway.

Now hopefully less people will look at me like I'm insane when I open the bathroom door with paper towels.

Blunt force trauma with stacks of paper is inefficient. Use the door handle, Dear.