3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Post-apocalyptic, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Real Life, Comedy, Mistery and Horror
24baa39d5634d88eb17bd2c6b46c37c0.jpg
VIRGILIUS HILDEGARD

Time: Evening hours during the Summer vacation (Flashback)
Interaction: Bunch of NPCs and Shiori Matsushita - @Sailor Arti

Subconsciously, Virgilius' mind compared a small, barely filled suitcase with the one his sister used to have until the golden age of ten when she self-proclaimed an adult and demanded an adult-sized bag to go with it. How lucky she was to be able to fill hers. All shapes and colors of dresses, hats, and all the shoes she could wish. How lucky they all were.

The pile of clothes in Shiori's tiny suitcase barely reached half when he had closed it. Oh, Scarlet will be so upset. She had already told him via very intense howler - a response to his report on Shiori. But what his dear sister did not understand was that finding clothes for a child who couldn't try them on the spot was trickier than it seemed.

Scarlet's ire of a resident fashionista was only a second reason why her family would not join them on that evening. Shiori's position was a sensitive one. Even without the constant pressure of the Ministry, living with a caretaker that did his best but, in all honesty, hardly knew what he was doing had to be exhausting. Meeting the entire family, he figured, was better off done in bits.

If only indirectly, Virgilius Hildegard admitted to himself that he needed assistance for once in his life. And even then, it was for Shiori's sake. Stretched between his academic obligation and the Society mercilessly targeted by the Ministry ever since the child's arrival, he feared that he would neglect her in a way he would never forgive himself.

The decision to take her to his family wasn't the easiest one either. After everything they had suffered at the hands of the Ministry, his father was understandably suspicious to find out about their interest in the orphan child. But, regardless of his initial insecurity, Orpheus' protective instinct - fueled by a bit of mother's and Scarlet's nagging - kicked in.

What made him apprehensive in the first place also had him act on a promise given to his deceased son - no vampire would suffer under the Ministry if he had anything to say about it. Luckily, Orpheus Hildegard was a well-educated, clever man, only lacking social filters that Virgil so cleverly applied. If there was a single place safe enough for the child, it was his home.

While still lingering, the anxiety he had lightened up once Virgil apparates in front of the Hildegard estate deep in the mountains of Romania. Save for yearly visits for the holiday seasons, it has been ages from the last time he had stayed in it for more than a few days at a time. Not after Alaric. He couldn't.

Even now, a monthly visit had been planned primarily for Shiori's sake. Being relatively large and chaotic, the estate and the family in it would come off as intimidating to anyone at first. Regardless of their politeness, having a familiar face with her during the process was crucial.

"Well. Here we are. Welcome to the Hildegard household," he introduced the large facility and it came out unexpectedly clumsy. Even though he held on to his presentation of authority and confidence, he was nervous. After a brief pause, Hildegard had pushed the massive iron gate with barely any effort at all, letting Shiori in and retaking her hand. He was a loner with only a small bag in his hand whenever he would arrive. This time, things were unspeakably different.

"And remember," he smirked down at her as they crossed the vast courtyard. "There is nothing to be scared of. I am right here."

Ahead, the richly ornated front door opened widely, allowing some of the dim inner light to spill onto the porch, revealing two graceful figures at the entrance. The warm and welcoming voice of Ambrosia Hildegard sounded joyfully through the closing distance as the unusual duo approached.

"My goodness, Orpheus! She is wonderful."

Orpheus Hildegard.png Ambrosia Hildegard.jpg

Last edited:

Shiori Matsushita, Ancestral seat of Hildegard Family

Tags: @Ritual Lobotomy - Virgil Hildegard

'Kinchō shite imasu (I'm nervous)' Shiori thought to herself. She placed a tiny hand on her chest as she tried to slow her breathing. The six almost seven year old held onto Virgil's hand tightly as the continued to make their way towards his home. She was supposed to be meeting his family today but she wasn't very good with meeting new people.

It wasn't long ago the new people she met hurt her. Luckily Virgil came back for her but, she couldn't shake the fear that was almost instilled in her at this point. "Well. Here we are. Welcome to the Hildegard household," he said to her. Luckily he'd been working on her English. Due to her strong desire to understand she picked up the language fairly quickly.

Shiori's pink hues widened as she took in the sight before her. "Shiro?"(Castle?) she asked breathlessly. "Uh...you live in a castle?" she quickly clarified. If she was feeling anxious before she definitely felt inferior and anxious now. It was clear she didn't belong. He reached forward and opened the gate for her before grabbing her hand once more as she passed through.

The closer they got as they crossed the courtyard the tighter she gripped his hand. Was it too late to turn back? "And remember," he smirked down at her almost as if he could read her mind. "There is nothing to be scared of. I am right here." That reassured her a bit. She nodded as they made their way up the stairs to the door.

It opened before they could even knock and Shiori immediately panicked and hid behind Virgil, gripping onto him for dear life. "My goodness, Orpheus! She is wonderful." as the two strangers closed the distance between them. The closer they got the tightener she clung to Virgil. Her little body trembling as she tried to hold back her tears.

This side of moon could
take you out of the darkness

• Sweet
Reactions: Ritual Lobotomy
VIRGILIUS HILDEGARD

24baa39d5634d88eb17bd2c6b46c37c0.jpgTime: Evening hours during the Summer vacation (Flashback)

Before Virgil had managed to respond to the child's question, the appearance of his parents interrupted the brief time in which Shiori had forgotten her nervousness. Her quick retreat was amusing even while being expected.

"Doko ni iku no? (Where are you going?)" he asked with a chuckle as her tiny frame glued tightly against his back. The effort he had expected from her, he had returned the same. While complex to master, Virgil thought it to be only fair to Shiori to try.

He did not rush her. With a comforting hand on the child's head, he smirked apologetically to his parents.

"She is a bit shy. Give her some time," Virgil confirmed an already obvious fact.

"Why, of course! As long as she needs, dear," Ambrosia stepped towards, turning her endearment towards her son. Before he had a chance to respond, his mother's slender fingers wrapped around his face. Seeing tears in Ambrosia's eyes, even if only for the moment and even those of joy, unnerved Virgilius. He swallowed a stubborn lump in his throat, although his expression remained stubbornly serene.

"Welcome home, love," she croaked out, planting a generous, motherly kiss against Virgil's cheek. Awkwardly returning the affection with a careful one-armed hug, Virgil's eyes locked with his father's. While his face and hair were at their fullest inherited from his mother, his eyes were of a peculiar green color and shape as Orpheus'.

Virgilius embraced Shiori protectively, as his instinct relied on the latest heated exchange of words with the man in the background. Orpheus Hildegard was an imposing man of proud posture and sharp features. Even the slightest disapproval or annoyance painted a war mask on his face at times hard to read.

"Thanks," Virgil responded cooly, locked in an intense stare-off with Orpheus. Sighing at the created tension, Ambrosia stepped aside, finding herself between her husband and her son.

"Everything is alright. I promise," she reassured Virgil with an apologetic smirk. In return, Virgilius nodded, breaking off his gaze.

"I know."

A moment of silence was quickly interrupted by Ambrosia's chirping. "Well, don't just stand there. Come in!"

Virgilius exhaled the tension out of his chest, gently nudging Shiori to follow along. "You could say it's a castle," he jested light-heartedly. "And you will get to explore all of it."

Ahead of them, Ambrosia briefly stopped next to her husband before entering. Whatever she had told him, her words managed to ease his features - if only slightly - by the time Virgilius approached, guiding the small bean along.

"Father," he greeted almost formally, briefly taking his arm away from Shiori and extending it towards Orpheus. The man assessed the situation shortly before accepting a solid handshake with a twitch of mustache.

"Virgilius. Welcome," he had returned just as formally, his voice strict and flat. Gazing down at Shiori once again, he gestured forward. "If you will. Ambrosia has been dying to have the dinner table set."

"And while I see it done, you will make sure the little princess is all set and comfortable," she quickly ordered her son in a light tone that still offered no room for complaint. "Scarlet was beyond happy to offer her old room. I am sure she will completely redo it tomorrow no matter what you do. But make an effort, yes?"

There were times when such request would be greeted with a huff, but as years passed, he has learned to appreciate his sister's tenacity.

"I will do my very best," he chuckled, picking up the bags in one hand, and giving the other to Shiori.

"Up we go."

The intense aesthetic of the ground floor dimmed down upstairs, replaced with - while still luxurious - uncomplicated wood and wallpaper combinations, topped off with an occasional painting or a source of light throughout the entire length of the hallway. Unlike the warm and imposing introduction to the estate, it now fell silent with all the activities focused on its lower parts. It felt hauntingly beautiful. Tomorrow, there will already be no corner left in peace.

"Are you alright?" Virgilius asked as he took his time to traverse the distance to the appointed room. A bumpy start he had really hoped to avoid. Nevertheless, it went much better than expected.

"Koko de dai kangeidesu (You are welcome here)," he added after a brief hesitation as he thought of a proper way of expressing himself. "My father, he..." What could he possibly say to explain such a complex concept to a child in an encouraging way? Maybe she didn't even notice and he was giving her too much credit reserved for adults. But he needed to make sure. He needed not to disappoint her.

"He is just as nervous as you are, and he doesn't know what to do. Perhaps we can show him how you and I handle it, yes?" He suggested with a warm smile.

Granted, the explanation wasn't far from the truth. Even a child could see it.

Shiori Matsushita, Ancestral seat of Hildegard Family

Tags: @Ritual Lobotomy - Virgil Hildegard

"Doko ni iku no? (Where are you going?)" Virgil asked her with a chuckle while Shiori shook her head against him. She thought she was ready for this but she just wasn't. She felt like she couldn't catch her breath. She wanted to cry. She wanted to go back to where she'd been living with Virgil before. Just the two of them. She wanted to go home.

Home. Once again the term sounded foreign and familiar at the same time. In this context, even if it was applied correctly, she deep in her heart she couldn't help but feel a melancholic pain. It felt wrong. But why was that? She couldn't remember. "She is a bit shy. Give her some time," Virgil went on to clarify to his parents. After a brief moment Shiori opens her eyes and peaks out from behind Virgil.

"Why, of course! As long as she needs, dear," The unfamiliar woman says before embracing him. As they carried on their greetings Shiori's gaze shifted over to the man beside the woman. Unlike the woman who seemed bright, welcoming and cherry, this man was more stand-offish. In fact, his scowl scent Shiori hiding back behind Virgil once his gaze landed on her. Maybe he didn't like her.

Glancing up she could see there was something going on between Virgil and that man. She hadn't the slightest clue what. But they stared at one another for a long time before the woman spoke up again, inviting them in. With a gentle nudge, Virgil urged Shiori along and she complied as she walked forward.

After greeting his father, in a more tense manner than he greeting his mother, the other man ushered them in. Once inside Shiori momentarily forgot about her nervousness as she was overcome with curiosity. She'd never been in a castle before. All she knew about them were what were in her fairy tale stories.

"And while I see it done, you will make sure the little princess is all set and comfortable," the woman called out. Shiori's ears perked up at the mention of princess. "Watashi wa hontōni ohimesamadesu ka? (Am I really a princess?)" Shiori emphatically whispered to Virgil. Her eyes practically sparkled, totally different from the little girl that had been on the verge of tears moments ago.

Virgil chuckled and them took her hand and lead her up the grand stairs. Once the hustle and bustle that was downstairs was gone and they were left to their own devices, Virgil turned to her. "Are you alright?" he asked her and she tilted her head to the side. Was she alright? She was now that she had something she liked to distract her about it.

"Koko de dai kangeidesu (You are welcome here)," he reassured her. She flashed him a skeptical glance as she remembered how the scary man had been glaring at her. "Honkidesu ka? (Are you sure?)" she asked softly as her grip tightened on his hand. "My father, he..." Virgil began to clarify, "He is just as nervous as you are, and he doesn't know what to do. Perhaps we can show him how you and I handle it, yes?"

So he was nervous too? Shiori frowned as she stared down at her feet for a moment. She didn't like being nervous. In fact, she viewed it as a bother more than anything. She wished with all her might that one day when she was older she'd have more courage to face others. What made it all bearable was how Virgil was there for her, supporting her. Maybe his father needed someone to support him too.

With a made up mind, she turned back towards Virgil, a little more courage in her gaze than before. She nodded to his earlier request. Shiori didn't want to be a bother to anyone and she had promised Virgil to try and be a good girl anyway. He led her to her room which was much bigger than anything she'd had before.

Black and red were the accent colors in the room. It was awfully....dark and moody. Clinging to Virgil a little bit she gulped. "T-there are no monsters here right?" she asked as she looked up at him with worried eyes. "Kowaidesu (I'm scared)" Virgil reassured her there were no monsters but Shiori wasn't so sure. At night she might be afraid to sleep here alone.

After putting her things in her room they both headed back downstairs, not wanting his mother to be kept waiting for long. Shiori was still feeling pretty nervous but she was extremely focused on her next task. After all, Virgil had asked her to do something, and she'd do anything for him. Before heading to the dining room Shiori noticed the scary man from earlier in a different room smoking a pipe.

With a gulp she pulled away from Virgil, letting go of his hand. She quickly made her way over to the scary man. Her anxiety spiked to an all time high but she was determined to see this through. "Ē to... (Um...)" she said softly as she approached. With a hard gulp she reached out with her small hands to take hold of his own.

She looked up at him with her bright pink hues and took a deep breath. "I breathe in slowly...." she said as she demonstrated with a deep inhale. "I breathe out slowly..." she continued as she demonstrated once more with a long exhale. "My breathe is a pathway to peace, moving softly through me." She moved his hand gently with her own, like a wave. "Each day I can breathe and be." Shiori finished the poem with three gentle taps on the back of his hand. Three being significant for the number of harmony.

Shiori blushed as she quickly stepped away from him. "N-now you don't have to be nervous anymore." with a quick bow she ran back to Virgil and clung to him. That's it, she did what was asked of her. That meant she did good right?

This side of moon could
take you out of the darkness

• Love
Reactions: Ritual Lobotomy
VIRGILIUS HILDEGARD
24baa39d5634d88eb17bd2c6b46c37c0.jpgTime: Evening hours during the Summer vacation (Flashback)

He had to agree with the little one. The room was nothing like the area he could see the child enjoy herself in. He had his doubts that his sister enjoyed it either. It was the first time he had re-entered her room since she left. What she was versus what she showed the world back then was unimaginable ways apart.

"And I've heard that some unicorn plushies do wonders to keep the Boogeyman away, so we definitely need to get at least one of those," Virgil proceeded to discuss room adaptation with Shiori by his side, slowly descending the staircase. "The best is the only thing that is good enough for ohimesama. So said the queen of the house, and I fully agree."

While he was fully prepared to accommodate Shiori, a note of importance that Virgil added to his words was meant to encourage. Indeed nothing the child would have asked far was off-limits.

He had opened his mouth to add to it, but it was lost in a gradual slowdown of Shiori's steps. Quickly after, she stopped, and he followed the lead.

"Everything alright, Peanut?"

It still managed to both impress and scare him to realize how relaxed she had made him. The nickname came as natural as any other word, which was always a point of identification for Virgil. In front of others, he only spoke when he was confident of things to say, with only the exact words needed to express it.

Shiori did not need to respond. A strong smell of the old-class tobacco reached him from the lounge, rising from Orpheus' ancient pipe as he sat facing the courtyard window. For all of them, the estate was a safe haven where even their unswayable patriarch could allow himself moments of weakness. Isolation and vice were coping mechanisms, but intimidation was a side-effect of insecurity. Orpheus Hildegard's strictness towards his family vanished with Scarlet, just to re-emerge as an inferior remake after Alaric's departure.

And now. Another change, another trigger.

With each challenge presented, the little one kept impressing him more. Shiori's intent was clear, although she had hesitated. Rightfully so. But just as Virgil accepted the fact that the girl wants nothing to do with any more stressful situations, Shiori's grip on his hand loosened. This time around, there was no doubt in his mind. Virgil allowed her to detach from him, resting his eyes on her all the way into the lounge.

"Yes. Go on," he encouraged the child confidently when he sensed all her bravery was about to leave her, but it was necessary only once. The children were fascinating. They were able to openly admit and bravely face their fears and insecurities. Something many adults never reached.

"Virgilius?" Ambrosia's voice sounded wary next to him. "He is a bit tense," she expressed her concern with a whisper. "Perhaps it isn't the best idea."

"She is giving him a fair chance," Virgil responded with a smirk. "I am sure he still knows how to appreciate trust."

Even though soft and careful, Shiori's steps against the hard wooden floor did not escape Orpheus. Once her small frame appeared in his peripheral, it occupied the man's attention only briefly, acknowledgment of her presence expressed in a quick dart of eyes as he proceeded to fixate ahead.

"Ē to... (Um...)," the girl spoke, but Orpheus did not pay it much mind until he could feel a pair of small hands grasping insecurely at his. Instead of pulling away - which was indicated by his wife's quiet gasp - his face settled into a confused frown. Then, he reached up, removing the pipe from his mouth as his head slowly turned towards Shiori.

"It's alright. Let her handle it," Virgilius reassured his mother when, once again, she felt the urge to intervene. Her son's confidence in his father's fragile patience made her slightly anxious. Granted, there was no real danger or harm, but Shiori was undoubtedly too young to understand that Orpheus' lack of tolerance wasn't her fault. The last thing she wanted was for the child to believe such a thing. Reluctantly, she complied, albeit still wary.

The patriarch's squinted eyes were now locked with Shiori's big innocent ones.

"I breathe in slowly," she proceeded bravely regardless, making sure she makes the process as understandable as possible. "I breathe out slowly."

Although well-controlled, Orpheus' expression softened into subtle curiousness, his eyebrow rising with many questions.

Instead of clarification, Shiori proceeded to dictate the words. "My breath is a pathway to peace, moving softly through me."

Surprisingly, the man humored her. While effortlessly, his hand still played along with the girl's. If he hadn't, a small wave that he was now doing wouldn't have happened. Even with no evident sign of acceptance on his face, such gesture was a hint enough. He didn't mind.

"Each day I can breathe and be." With three taps, Shiori completed her little mantra.

Observing her husband's perplexed but docile reaction to the child simply invading his personal space left Ambrosia in rather non-lady-like awe. She had composed herself as soon as she became aware of her son rudely trying not to mock it with a chuckle, treating him with a scolding glare. But it lasted only for a moment as her soul couldn't help but rejoice at the sight of Virgil's bright grin. He was lucky that she had missed it so.

"You are becoming too cheeky for my liking, love," she mumbled with a restrained chuckle.

"N-now you don't have to be nervous anymore," Shiori rushed to clarify her reasoning for disturbing the patriarch while she still had his attention. After processing the situation, Orpheus responded with a nod.
"Thank you. I appreciate it." Although cold and flat, it still held a lot of meaning. Getting such attention in any form was a challenge. He remained fixated on his hand for a while longer after Shiori rushed to Virgil's side for comfort, resuming his ponderings soon after.

"You are such a good girl!" Ambrosia praised her fondly, lowering herself to stroke her hair. "Brave and beautiful. Well, you are just perfect!"

"And I am very proud of you," Virgil added, wrapping his arm protectively around Shiori's shoulders. Even though all of it was still fresh, her progress in such a short period was admirable, making all of the effort worth it. She deserved to feel safe, but even more so, she deserved to be seen and appreciated.

"And you know what good girls deserve? A lot of delicious food!" Ambrosia asked and answered her own question with excitement as she straightened back up, fixing her dress. "You two must be famished, poor things."

"Well, so am I, but nobody gives a damn apparently!"

Ambrosia's grin soured into disapproval, while Virgil's initial surprise turned into a knowing nod.

"And there he is," he commented with a scoff.

"Get in here so I can eat finally," the voice demanded again, coming from the dining room.

"Yes, your royal annoyance. We'll be right there!" Virgilius responded cheekily, much to his mother's dismay.

"You do know you're just encouraging him, don't you?" she asked, heading towards the dining room.

"You'd like to tell me that there was a moment where Cass needed permission to be a pain?" he asked in a heightened tone, meant to be heard across the distance.

"It comes naturally, thank you very much," the voice fired back, much to Virgil's amusement. "Unlike that stick up your-"

"Language, Cassius! For goodness sake!" Ambrosia ordered in mild panic. There was a child in the house, and profanities had no place being thrown around, especially at the dining table.

"Wh- What is so funny, pray tell, Virgilius?"

Instead of a response, Virgil weathered through the urge to burst into laughter. He waved it off as unimportant as he quickly composed himself. Mother's glare pierced through him briefly before she sighed and rubbed her temple, looking down at Shiori apologetically.

"You don't know it yet, love. But you are a blessing."

With its rich decorations, the dining room did not come behind other rooms. A large fireplace and massive wooden accessories made it feel formidable, while a row of large windows looking out into the garden relieved some of the heaviness of its walls, decorated with large family portraits.

Typically a table that could host an entire party was magically reduced and adjusted for a more intimate family gathering with fewer seats. It sat right in the middle, under the impressive crystal chandelier. With its size reduced, the size of the entire room seemed to have enhanced.

"What do you think?" Virgilius asked, gently laying his hand on Shiori's hair as he allowed her to observe the space. "Seems a bit small, doesn't it?" he jested.

"Oh, come on, man," came the groan from the end of the table, where a young vampire rocked on a leaned chair back and forth, impatiently waiting for the feast.

"And that chatterer there would be Cassius," Virgil verified the identity of the man. When he had prepared Shiori the best he could, describing his family members, Cassius was undoubtedly the hardest to define. Barely an adult in an average life span, the rowdy vampire turned a different corner from all of his older siblings. Albeit harmless, Cassius tended to, time and time again, prove himself too hard to handle. Giving Shiori some heads up beforehand felt like the only remotely appropriate thing to do.

"You see how he doesn't greet his older, more handsome brother?"

"You wish," Cassius laughed out, bringing his chair back into an upright position.

Being the black sheep of the family wasn't necessarily a negative experience for Cassius. His siblings learned to appreciate his way of keeping everyone's mind occupied with more Cassius and less with other burning problems. And Virgil was constantly reminded of how much it meant to him every time Cassius willingly played the jester.

Consipratiorially, Virgil leaned closer to Shiori. "Anata wa kare ni kurō o ataeru koto ga yurusa rete imasu. Watashitachi wa mina-sō shimasu. (You are allowed to give him a hard time. We all do)." Dealing with so many different ends of the spectrum in a single visit was intimidating as is. Some push in the right direction couldn't hurt.

"I have no idea what the hell you just said, but I don't like the sound of it," Cassius responded with a mischievous smirk, his eyes curiously darting towards Shiori's petite figure.

"Hm..." he sounded out curiously as his entire body seemed to be suddenly engulfed into a thick cloud of smoke. Swiftly, it occupied the whole seat, then rose up in the air, making its way towards Virgil and Shiori.

"That's bloody anticlimactic," the young vampire spoke as he materialized in front of them, eyeing the girl. "I kinda expected her to be at least taller than this. This is ridiculous."

Aware that his brother was referring to the circumstance under which Shiori arrived in Britain but arranging his priorities in front of Shiori, Virgil offered a witty response.

"What he meant to say, Shiori, is ' Welcome.'"

With a mumble, Cassius shrugged and extended his fist towards the girl.

"Come on. Throw one up here, kiddo. Welcome to the family. Hope you last longer than a week-"

"Cassius! I swear, child," came another impatient warning from Ambrosia.

Attachments

• aac4d6b0bf950ac4b58c470ff15256ce.jpg
    aac4d6b0bf950ac4b58c470ff15256ce.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
  • Ah Seen It
Reactions: Nemopedia