Historical Reference ((with Archailfire))

((Well, considering it'd be her house... care to do it? :/ pweety pwease?)

((Sure! XD ))

The smell in the hallway to Lilith's apartment was a small improvement from the subway, but only by a little. "I swear it smells much better inside my place," she insisted, unlocking the two locks she had on there and give the door a shove. It was an old door so sometimes you needed to put a little extra strength into it. She stepped inside, tugging Mako in with her and locked the door again.

The inside of the apartment consisted an open kitchen with a counter-top divider from the living room and a small table on its other side which was supposed to be a 'dining room' but she really only ever ate up on the counter. She had a good 32 inch tv (couldn't miss her shows, could she?) and a decent leather couch with a few books and papers scattered on it and on the coffee table in front of it. That was about as far as the mess went since she's only been home for a few weeks and hasn't had the chance to properly disorganize everything yet. "Well, this is it," she said, finally. "There's only one room, so you'll sleep in there for now. The bathroom is over there and," she paused for a second. "Um.. Using the bathroom in the modern day world is pretty easy," she started to explain awkwardly, flushing a little red. "There's what looks like a seat with um.. water, and since you're a guy, you just kind of aim in there and push the knob when you finish. And you sit down on the seat when you have to do the other stuff. Then wash your hands at the sink which is like a bowl with two knobs," she finally said.

He was glad to be out of the city's bustle, glad to be away from all of those people. With a small nod he offered a smile, "It's better in here than it was out there..." Mako replied trying to make her feel better. As she unlocked the door he cantered his head and released a confused whine like sound again, why would they lock their homes? He followed her in none the less, though the tug made him stumble just a bit. "Why do you lock it?" He asked.

Looking about the inside of her home he seemed rather surprised by it's size. "This place is bigger than my alpha's den..." He spoke looking around, his eyes darting to the couch, staring at it blankly. It looked like a sleeping beast but it didn't move. Slowly he approached it, poking at the back of it in confusion, expecting it to wake at any moment. Her voice snapped him back to reality again, "What?" He questioned, staring at her blankly. Her words practically fell on deaf ears while she tried to explain it all. In his world the bathroom was the wood in essence, or a pot. "Uh... okay?"

"This place is pretty small according to modern-day standards, but I also live alone so it's not a big deal," she explained and when Mako asked about the locks she flicked her gaze to it, noting the lock, deadbolt, and chain. Thinking about it, Mako probably got along with whoever lived near him and those of the kingdom all probably had a sense of respect for one another mostly due to their culture. "Well, during your time you probably knew everyone nearby and trusted them to a certain point, but this world is filled with dangerous people that can come in and take everything you own or worse," she explained. "It happened to me a year and a half ago." And it put a dent in my wallet I almost wasn't able to afford, she thought to herself. She remembered that after that she had moved out and found this place which was further away from the University but more affordable. And besides, it wasn't that she really lived in a bad area in New York. It was no Upper East Side, but it was no Midtown or Harlem either. Still, she tried to avoid walking home alone at night when she could. That was honestly why she got into the habit of working and studying at the University until the early hours in the morning.

He looked up to her, "Small?" He questioned before he placed his roll upon the couch, taking out his sword and placing it against the side of the leather. Looking back to her he sat, a bit surprised at the sheer comfort of the furniture. Part of him just wanted to lay down and sleep it was so nice. "Someone dared to steal from you and you didn't cut off their hand?" He asked, a bit of anger welling up in him. His culture detested thiefs as most did, and had a proper punishment for them. Watching her close none the less he let himself sink into the couch, shirtless but content. "Do you have any mead? Beer? Wine?"

She looked at the man on her couch and let out a small chuckle at the sight. He seemed pretty content to lie there, and she perked up at the sound of beer. "Beer I have!" she said excitedly, glad she had something he actually knew of and scuttling over to her small fridge and grabbing a six pack while she continued speaking. "It's a little different these days. It's hard to catch someone in a city this big," she spoke from where she was reaching into the refrigerator. She pulled two beers out, and opened the tab on both. Handing him a beer, she continued speaking, "Theft is common these days, so we have to be careful, you know?" It was easy to get things stolen from you, money, identity and credit cards, your own home. That was the price that sometimes came when you lived in a world with so many people.

He let a happy sigh come as she went to fetch the beer. A bit of joy crossed him, glad to have something from home at least. "That's why you do it when they take try to take it from you..." He replied with a nod seeming rather confident in his ability. Looking to her he smiled taking the bottle. He stared at it a moment finding the opening before he smelled it. "It's cold..." Of course his people didn't have refrigeration but he didn't complain much as he brought it to his lips, seeming to practically chug the stuff.

"Unfortunately, hands aren't cut off for thievery," Lilith said in a tone that clearly suggested they still should. It would definitely make people think twice before stealing her stuff. "It was easier to just buy new stuff," she explained, because honestly without the culprits and a policeforce that was willing to help her, her stuff would have never returned home. Lilith plopped down on the armchair across from him, turning on the tv and grabbing one of her textbooks from the coffee table and a highlight. She adjusted her glasses a bit so she could see better and then looked over at Mako who seemed to be enjoying the beer. "I've got more in the fridge if you want," she said, taking a long drink from her own. Whoever said there was no point drinking at home obviously had no idea what they were talking about.

He frowned, "Well then... what do they do to them? Take a finger at least?" Mako questioned before she explained a bit more, a deeper frown crossed him while he sighed, shaking his head. Once more he drank from the beer, "Fridge?" He questioned before his golden eyes were drawn to the television, staring in utter confusion while he reached for his sword. "Your painting is hexed...." He spoke, seeming rather cautious as he dropped his beer to the ground and drew the long blade, slowly approaching it. He looked to her, seeming perplexed by the fact that she wasn't even phased by it. Sure he could take the odd torches that lit her house and everywhere else, but this was just plain witchcraft!

Lilith shook her head. "Nope, they charge them and put them in a jail which is like a small room with bars for walls that you have to stay in for however long the judge says," she tried to explain. "They stay with others who did similar crimes too, so it can be scary there."

As she spoke, she began outlining Chapter 4 in her Pre-Columbian History textbook - being grateful that she had spent a day last week marking off all the parts she would need to review and outline it -- in fact, she already had an outline of her outline though it was just in the sense of where the information would go. Still, it made her job now much easier since she already had some finished.

The sound of the voice next to her, brought Lilith out of her musings. She looked up and saw Mako reaching for his sword as he saw the tv. "Whoa! Careful there!" she said, standing up suddenly and moving between him and the tv. "That's an HD television and it cost a lot of money. You can't just go around stabbing it, okay?" she scolded, blocking his view of the flatscreen. "Now, calm down, televisions are in every household. They're not cursed or anything," she explained, trying to get him to sit down.

Mako looked rather confused by her sudden movement, "B-but it's flashing and making noise!" He protested, looking to her rather confused by it. A bit of nervous fear was in his eyes while he looked around her and sighed, trusting her for the time being as he slowly backed away and sheathed his sword. "If it steals my soul...." He growled, almost threateningly while she sat again, watching the screen cautiously.

Lilith waved her hand as she too cautiously sat down while eyeing Mako as if he might jump and destroy her precious television. "I've been using one of these my whole life and I still have my soul," Lilith said as she finally sunk down back into her armchair. "Televisions are like recorded points in time, and these -- these performers you can call it -- well, they act and people record it, and then the television is used to watch what is recorded," sh explained. "Believe me, you'll be fine," she insisted once more.

He slowly gave a nod, relaxing just a bit into the couch while he still eyed the television cautiously. "A-alright... if you say so I suppose I have no choice but to trust you..." Mako replied with a small nod. He still didn't want to be around it, but it didn't do anything beyond show images and make noise, no lightning, no soul sucking. Slowly he looked to her before he picked his beer back up, once more going back to drinking it while he sighed, seeming just a bit uncomfortable, though it was to be expected.

Lilith sighed sympathetically and leaned over for the remote to turn off the tv. "Don't worry it's off," she said. She could tell that even after she had tried to explain it to the warrior, he was still uneasy. Yeah, she was a little peeved that she had to miss her show, but she couldn't blame the man for his reaction to such a strange object. The Amish who are around today still don't enjoy getting their own pictures taking for the very same reason Mako didn't want to look at the television.

The archaeologist leaned back and closed the book that lay across her lap. She took off her glasses and rubbed her eyes before taking a look at Mako and smiling slightly. "So you said before you would tell me more about your people," she started. "What exactly can you tell me?"

Mako gave a small nod, feeling just a bit better that the 'possessed' painting was no longer... 'possessed'. He sighed softly as he finished his beer, simply letting the bottle fall to the ground before his eyes lifted to her when she spoke. "What do you want to know... I know much..." He replied with a small shrug while he sat up just a bit to appear proper for speaking of his kind.

"Hmm," Lilith hummed aloud as she thought. She had so many questions it was overwhelming. Could he really answer all of them for her? But then again, she couldn't ask too many because otherwise her colleagues would wonder how she drew such conclusions. She needed to think of a question whose answer she could learn much from and yet she can still use for her studies at work and back it up with evidence. "Ah! Let's start with the tablets. What exactly do they say?" she asked. "And how does your writing system work?"

He gave a small nod, thinking for a long moment, "I don't have them memorized, so bear with me..." He spoke before he placed his forearms on his legs and leaned forward. "The first tablet was essentially a history of my people, albeit condensed. You could say it was to teach the younger generations their heritage. The second was simply a list of our alpha's possessions and territories. The others were mainly the last remnants to be written as my kind died. The very last one held the entirety of the prophecy as it was written. I would have to see them to tell you the exact." He gave a small nod before he continued, "We write as we talk, though I suppose our letters are odd, they are scratched into the metal with a steel wolf's claw..."

Lilith nodded along with what he said, feeling a lot more invested in the conversation and her more serious side replacing her playful side from earlier. "It is very odd. Honestly, we had no way of deciphering your language and probably would have never figured it out," she mused. "But thank the heavens that your kind did write your history on the iron tablets. They were slightly rusty but well-preserved. If it were paper, any and all traces of your people having been something other than an ancient Germanic tribe would have been erased. Before the discovery, all we had to go on that your civilization even existed were from the accounts of other civilizations nearby." The young archaeologist pushed her glasses up her nose as she brought her legs up onto the armchair to get into a more comfortable position. She relaxed back into the seat before throwing the next barrage of questions.

"So what exactly do you mean by alpha? Are they your leaders?" she had to refrain greatly from asking more questions. She knew that it was probably hard on Mako to talk about his people, especially about the tablet that detailed the end of their civilization. Therefore, she chose to refrain from asking that. Perhaps later on, she could ask him to teach her some of the writing and she could find out on her own. She knew the warrior in him was strong -- physically and emotionally -- but that was no excuse for Lilith to bring up such a touchy subject. Still, the graduate student couldn't help but admire the way he talked about his people with pride. "So, how about warriors like you? Tell me about that, your training, the people you protected," she spoke as if she were interviewing the man (which in a way she was). "Was your class held in high regard?"

Mako seemed a bit surprised, "I suppose it is odd..." He never truly saw his language as a difficult one, then again when one grew up speaking it. He couldn't help but offer a nod to her though, a slight smile crossing his lips. "I suppose we did leave an impact on the lands then..." It was a remorseful statement but it also had a bit of hope to it. "Yes, our alpha's are our leaders, there are some for the families, usually the oldest member, and then there is the alpha and alphess... I suppose you'd call them a king and queen." He replied with a small nod. Sitting up a bit straighter his eyes glanced over her, once again thinking of possibilities before he drug his mind back to her next question. "Well, warriors are chosen from birth, after that we are sent to different villages of only warriors, to train from when we could stand to our wolf borne ceremony." He replied, "It's difficult training, at least ten die every year from just that... but it also weeds out those not born for fighting." With a small nod he looking to his feet, "I was a wolf guard, so my duty was to the alpha and the priests, to protect them from man or beast." His eyes looked to her, a slight smirk forming. "A wolf guard could choose his mate, if he wished he could take another person's for his own. He had the right to kill anyone who crossed him and he got the second best food."