High School Students Encountering a New World

After a long pause of motion, the dragonfly flew from it's position, now looking in from a new window. This time, it tried a different trick.

It made a bell noise once, and then shifted it's wings to make an L shape. After a few seconds, it shifted it's wings to mirror the L. It shifted them upward, then slowly opened them into a wide V shape.

It flew forward and bumped the window, then returned to it's position. It made the Bell noise once more, and backed up slightly.

I turned my head toward the dragonfly with its other worldly eyes. A commotion erupts in the classroom but ignore them in favor of inquiries about the now normal insect. Who is he? Where is he from? He's abnormal, like me. That glow, it must be a signal of some sort.

Ms. Obnoxious makes some noise and drops some books. She's going on about homework or something. It must be time to leave. I observe the others in the classroom, but no one has moved. Oh well, I'll endure the scolding later. I gather my things and quietly sneak to the door and escape into the hallway. I savor a silent hallelujah before dashing down the halls and into the school yard.

Butterflies and dragonflies hover over the puddles, shrubs, and trees that dot the school grounds. I merrily skip around with them with my rather empty backpack gently smacking the small of my back. They're scared of me. I know they are, but they're so pretty and so much fun. I'm sorry Mr. dragonfly. I'm sorry Ms. Butterfly. My happy little stroll leads me away from the main paths their weave their way through the campus and into the densely forested area the neighbors the school. The adults always tell me to steer clear of this place since children disappeared in there a long, long time ago. Heh. Those stupid old stories are just ways to scare children into their mother's arms. It's all bull shit.

I hear the bell again, only briefly though. I look up to the windows of the classrooms above me. The rather large dragonfly was back and doing all kinds of funny antics. I observe it from behind some shrubs and quietly giggle at the silly insect.

Maddie reddened once again. "….Thanks…" she said bashfully, then her eyes traveled to the doorway. Dads #1 and 2 were standing there, searching the classroom for her face. Then, to her utter surprise, Dad #1 entered the room and started talking rapidly in his French accent.
"Pardon, but can I see Mademoiselle Williams for a spit second? I-okay, we," He scowled at Dad #2, who raised his eyebrows. "need to talk to her about something very important."
Maddie looked at Dad #1. His shoulder-length hair was held in a casual ponytail and he was wearing his favorite pink tuxedo. Dad #2 seemed to be doing his best to hide his unusually large eyebrows under an unusually large fedora. He, at least, had attempted to wear something less eye-catching; a green t-shirt and jeans.
Maddie bit her lip and stood up. "Hi, Dad."
"Hi," Dads #1 and 2 chorused.

Elise nodded to Violetta. "Yeah, sure, let's talk again later." Violetta seemed absorbed in writing down her assignments for now.

She noticed Maddie had to talk to her parents. A little concerned for her, she stood up and tapped the shy girl on the shoulder.
"Want me to stick around, or are you okay?"

She noticed Faber had left the room. Perhaps she would follow if neither Violetta nor Maddie needed to speak with her.

"That would be great," Maddie whispered back. "I-I don't really know what to expect…and both of them are here…normally it's just one of them…it must be important."
"Very," Dad #2 said. That shocked Maddie. Normally he paid attention to her twin and not her. She wondered what had happened. "We'd better step out. Oh, yes…" He put his hand on Maddie's shoulder. "Happy belated birthday. It was yesterday, I presume?"
"Today," Dad #2 corrected, straightening his bow tie.
"Oh. Happy birthday today, then. How's it been?"
"…Like any other day…" Maddie muttered.
"Oh." Both of their faces fell.

Elise stayed with Maddie. By their faces and the conversation, her talk with her dads wasn't going so well, so she decided to step in.
"Hello, Mr. and...Mr. Williams? My name is Elise, and I'm," Elise thought for a moment. She wanted to be Maddie's friend, but she wasn't sure how Maddie felt about it.
'Oh well,' Elise figured.
"Your daughter's friend. Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you," Dad #1 said once they exited the classroom. He stared at Dad #2. "Arthur, you'd better explain this."
"Why me?!" Dad #2 exclaimed, taking his fedora off.
"You're the expert on weird things."
"Weird things? Since when are fairies weird?!"
"It gets disturbing once you start talking to thin air, dear," Dad #1 said, emphasizing the word "dear".
Dad #2 rolled his eyes. "Yeah, and flirting with people when you're married isn't disturbing."
"I like flirting, no?"
"Whatever. I suppose I'll explain it. Maddie," He looked at his daughter, who looked skeptical. "You do know when we first found you and your sister, right? Wandering on the Irish moor, utterly confused?"
"…Yes…"
"Well…er…turns out you and your sister are…*ahem* This might sound really weird, but…"
"Just spit it out!" Dad #1 said impatiently.
"I did some research, and…you two are…" He lowered his voice. "Well, you'd better look in a mirror, they're already growing."
Maddie did so, and when she did, she fainted. For on her back were two glimmering wings, just barely visible.
"…Half fairies," Dad #2 finished his sentence at the sound of the loud THUD.

Elise stared at her friend, wings now sprouting from her. Sure there were strange insects around here, but this was something else. It sounded similar to the stories she had been told all her life about the forest, but she had shrugged off such fairy tales long ago. But with what Maddie's dads were saying and the nearly transparent wings before her, Elise was beginning to believe that perhaps her parents were right.
"F-f-fairy?" Elise stammered, somewhat asking for confirmation that she wasn't dreaming now. "Like in the forest?"

The dragonfly leaned forward slowly... Was it hearing what it thought it was hearing? Either way, it wanted to see for itself what was going on.
It made it's way towards another window, one that was slightly open. It flew in.
This room seemed empty... It got to work on a peculiar trick. A black cloud of smoke covered the insect, and then grew in size. A human-like figure stepped out.img-thing.jpg
His eyes were a slightly glowing yellow, much like the dragonflies, and he wore a simple dark green cloak. He nearly stepped out of the room, but stopped himself. He took a pair of tinted glasses from his pocket and put them over his eyes. He stepped out of the room and walked towards the collapsed girl, and the three humans surrounding her.
"Oh dear... *ahem* Hello. I'll explain who I am later... We got to get her out of here... (For my sake as well.) Uh..."
He took his cloak and handed it to the nearest person.
"This should cover the... Wings."
The sound of his breathing suggested he was nervous.
"Quick now, if she gets found out, they'll think it's my fault, and they'll probably flay me with a cold iron blade!"

Last edited:
A strange looking lady with rose colored eyeglasses came walking by with a rather large shawl on. She notices the two girls with several two men and a guy with dark glasses on so she hurries over to them.

"Excuse me, dearies but I am looking for my niece. You see I haven't seen in a very long time for she went to the city. She is suppose to be here today. Either one of you happen to be Mystique?" she held a picture of Mystique to each of them before announcing
"No.... neither of you is my niece. I am sorry to bother you.. Good day." she spoke softly as she hurried on to the classroom.

She peaks into the door before speaking.
"Uhhhh.. excuse me but I think that my niece is in here.... Oh Violetta, dearest. I have found you at last! Why they didn't drop you off at the house instead of this school I'll never understand at all. I have all of the books you brought. I expected to have mostly clothes but that is ok. There is not many here or at least not as many as you have.

Now let us go home and talk." she spoke.

Violetta looked at this strange lady with rose glasses in astonishment. She did not know what to do for she actually did not know that she even had an aunt. Her parents dropped her off at school while they took her belongings to the 'new home.'

Elise stared incredulously as the dragonfly from before turned into a man, and covered the fainted girl. "H-hey! What are you?!" she shouted at the "man" refusing to believe what she had heard. It seemed far too ridiculous to be true. She started pacing around and shaking her head. 'Fairies? For real? This is...no way...' she thought to herself. As she did, she noticed the new kid talking to someone, probably her mother. Though then again, she didn't look at the woman like it was her mother.

The girl didn't know what to do. She could tag along with the fairies or talk with the relatively normal new kid. Suddenly, she felt a sneeze coming on. "Achoo!" she sneezed, the loud noise echoing through the classroom. "Crap," she said, wiping her nose. She didn't want to attract that much attention.

"Yes. Fairies," Dad #2 said. "And who on Earth are you?" he muttered, looking at the newcomer. "I know exactly what's going on…wait, no!" He suddenly looked alarmed. "We must keep her away from the forest, you have no idea-"
"Her twin sister was informed about this and…" Dad #1 gulped. "She's now on the loose, with a big, spiked baseball bat and the idea that Maddie would be happy if she came with her."
Maddie woke up, hoping sincerely this was a dream. Her back was now covered with a cloak, and there was a strange man saying he had to get her out of here. "Wha…what's going on?" she muttered.
"Maddie, I promise you, you're going to be okay," Dad #2 said, hugging her tightly. "You're okay…calm down…"
"…Dad? What's happening?"
"Mon cher," Dad #1 stroked her cheek. "You really are a special one, no?"

Walking up to the new half-fairy, Elise just pat her on the shoulder. "Well, uh, I don't really know what to say about all this, but I'll still be here for you," she smiled nervously. The whole fairy thing was still going over her head, but she wanted to support her new friend.

Maddie smiled back. "Thanks…" She looked at the strange person who just came, not knowing what to make of him. "Um…hi?" She stared at Elise. "What…did I miss? Do I really have…wings?" she whispered. "Either that or this is all in my head…" She shook her head. "N-no, this isn't a dream…it's too real…way too real…" She felt rather lightheaded, almost as though she would pass out again. Dad #2 gripped her shoulder.
"I know this may seem hard…but you have to stay conscious, Maddie. Okay?"
Maddie nodded.

"Do you remember the dragonfly, Maddie? I...don't know how, but now he's a human. You really do have wings," she whispered back to the panicking girl. She tried to smile reassuringly, but it came off as a more sheepish smile, the corners of her mouth just barely pointing upwards.

Maddie looked at the man. "You're…the dragonfly…?"
She cocked her head. Come to think of it, he did look like the dragonfly if it turned human…
"…So, what does that make me? A fairy?" Maddie muttered.
"Half fairy," Dad #2 corrected.
"How do you know that?" Maddie asked suspiciously.
"Let's just say that for me, putting on a shirt takes at least half an hour and is painful during the day," he said mysteriously.
"Okay, then…"

"So...fairies," Elise cut in, "Can you fly? Do you do magic or something? How come nobody's heard of fairies?"

The 'dragonfly' adjusted his glasses, and made a quick glance all around.
"We should continue this... introduction... where we have less of a chance of being heard... But... Yes, the vast majority of us can fly, we certainly do magic, and... Actually... Lots of people have heard of fairies, after all, somebody had to make the myths... But we avoid widespread detection with a mix of magic and wits."

He looked around.
"I must say... I've heard of plenty of instances where fairies and Humans reproduced... yet I've never heard of any actual magic abilities or... wings... being passed on. This is a rare event indeed."

He looked about.
"So um... What's this with a twin sister and a baseball bat?"

Both parents looked nervously at each other. "Maddie was born in a pair of twins, as far as we know," Dad #2 said. "Her sister, Amelia, wasn't always…" He sighed. "Right in the head. Today, we drove up here to tell both of them, but somebody," He glared at Dad #1. "Just could not wait. Amelia then jumped out of the car, along with her favorite baseball bat." He sighed. "Right before she left, she told us that, rest assured, she would find and kill Maddie, if necessary."
Maddie gasped. "Amelia…wants to…k-kill me?"
"Maddie, it's okay. I won't allow her to," Dad #2 said.
"What powers will I have?" Maddie asked the 'dragonfly'. "Sorry if it sounds rude, I'm just kind of…curious…"

The young man adjusted his glasses, thinking for a moment. He looked over to Maddie.
"Your guess is as good as mine... I would assume your abilities would correspond to those of your fairy relative... Maybe weaker... Maybe stronger, as I said, this would be the first time I've heard of abilities being passed on."
He shifted his weight to one foot, and paused for a few seconds.
"I wonder why those wings only just grew now..."
His eyes widened.
"Wait... Why is the forest not safe? Is Amelia in the forest?"
He adjusted his stance, looking about ready to sprint away.
"If she still looks human and she's in the forest while I'm supposed to be on guard duty, and they see her, they'll hang and quarter me!"