Hiding the Scars

Status
Not open for further replies.
The words of Mr. Bynes rang in Jesse's ear like an old Salvation Army bell, being viciously swung side to side, back and forth in his head, doing various twists and turns until all Jesse could do was sigh and rub his eyes, kicking imaginary dirt with his bright yellow high tops below his feet. He stood at the bathroom door, not daring to go in yet and leaning against a deep, maroon locker.

Jesse couldn't get the damn teacher out of his head. "Did you try your best?" he had asked, and, of course, with no other feasible answer - if Jesse still wanted to get high - the pale, skinny young man had said yes. Quite adamently, too. Normally, Jese wouldn't care, so why did he feel so unimaginably...guilty??

He hadn't tried his best, and he knew it, too. It was within the norms of Jesse's behavioral pattern to lie about his lack of trying, but for some reason...the way the teacher was acting...how he said it...unsettled him.

Unsettled him so much that he wasn't sure if getting high would make it 10 times better or 10 times worse.

Again, he sighed and rubbed his eyes, the mahogony haired girl entering the ladies bathroom in his periphery without a single word, and a rather unapproachable expression on her strangely pretty face.

Jesse must have stood there for a few more moments before he noticed Aria aimlessly wandering the halls. Quickly, he glanced up at her, and his heart beat fast when they locked eyes. Dammit, Jesse thought to himself, hiding his bitter expression. She's gonna wonder what I'm doing. 'Oh, yeah, Aria, I'm totally contemplating whether I should smoke some weed with Argus or not, so you better go run to the teacher right now so we both can get caught.' He rolled his eyes, looking to his feet nervously and feebly shielding his face with a yellow hoodie sleeve. Hopefully she'll go away.

"O-okay.." And with that, she looked around and crossed her arms. "I'm gonna use the bathroom.." she said, wanting to take herself out this conversation. She didn't want to socialize. She's made that mistake before, with many others. Nothing good comes of making friends, or talking about your problems to someone who will tell everybody to get attention.

She walked into a stall and closed the door, locking it. She looked around, seeing the writing all over the walls. Maybe she should start bringing her pocket knife to school, if she can get away with it. And only if she'll start doing this often.

She silently looked for something to use, listening outside to stall to make sure to hear Ebony go out.

This was not much better than sitting in the classroom. I cant go to the library because then i'll actually have to do work. She sighed but when she looked up made eye contact with Jesse who stood outside of the boys bathroom. She was all but ready to turn around and run the other way but stopped her self. That would be rude. I dont even know him so why am I acting like such a chicken around him, rumors aren't all true. I already wussed out once today. Plus up close he doesn't seem all that bad... kinda cute actually, but thats not the point . I should probably say something now.

Aria cleared her throat and took a hesitant step closer. "Hey ... um Jesse right hows it going, math sucks right?" She mentally slapped her self. What was that "math sucks?" Oh my gosh that was so lame. He was probably actually going to use the bathroom too. Well this plane has already crashed.

Jesse could feel his heart pumping faster. He needed to cut this conversation short to keep her from asking any more questions. Questions usually required answers, and answers were not something that Jesse wanted to give. All it took was for her to ask what he was doing, and then, seeing as how his lying hasn't been too up to par lately, he was completely through. And so was Argus, too, if she decided to investigate it further. They'd both be in some seriously deep crap with Principal Mollina, not to mention how socially expended they would be. Who wants to associate with pot smokers? ...Besides other pot smokers, of course.

Aria's demeanor was a little strange, Jesse had to admit. In class, Aria was always an overachiever, and she delivered her answers with confidence, like she knew she had it right. But, now, seeing her all nervous and fidgety...kinda weird.

However, Jesse didn't pay much mind to it, seeing as how he was being just as nervous and fidgety himself, with all of this weed on his mind, not to mention the weird moral battle going on inside of him that was way too hard for even him to comprehend. All Jesse needed to do was play it cool, and that wasn't too hard for him, most of the time. Besides, Aria seemed easy to get along with, and the fact that she doesn't like math too was kind of cool. Unexpected, but pretty cool.

Jesse smiled, moving his hands from his face and letting them dangle at his sides. Letting a small chuckle escape his lips, he raised his brows. "Yeah, totally," he replied, his voice a little shaky. "I mean, uh, the class is pretty boring. Mr. Bynes is…" The young slacker looked to his feet, silently studying his yellow high tops, contrasting against the pale beige floor, and scratched the back of his head, messying his light brown hair in the process. Shaking his head subtly, his gaze returned to Aria's. "Mr. Bynes is...you know, he's, uh...Mr. Bynes. He's boring. Like, math is annoying enough already, might as well do something to make it a little interesting, but, no…" Jesse paused, looking to the ground again, his voice trailing nervously as he wrung his pale, sweaty hands.

And just like that Ebony's clarity was gone as she turned to the sink and gripped the ceramic edge in a white knuckled death grip. The voices in her head all laughed at her and chanted 'loony bird, loony bird' knowing that she hated that name. Looking in the mirror she hated herself, and her existence.

With a growl of frustration escaping Ebony's lips she released the death grip of one of her hands and curled it into a tight fist. Why did I even try to say something, no one wants to be friends with someone who's got too many screws missing in their head.

When the noise got to be too much for her to take she screamed, "I'm not a loony bird!" and drove her fist into the mirror, shattering it with her knuckles.

Last edited:
Aria smiled when Jesse began to talk to her. He seemed just as nervous as her. After everything she had heard about Jessie seeing him nervous seemed to make it all just a tad less believable. She didnt know a thing about him aside from the fact that he did not seem to enjoy math class or the teacher for that matter. He kept glancing down at his bright yellow shoes. Aria really looked at him now, yellow hoodie and yellow sneakers. He definetly drew attention to himself. Must have alot of confidence. Aria was more of a blend in kind of person, when it came to everything out side of the classroom. She had to excel Iin school it was practically all her parents cared about when they were home.

Aria gave a laugh and silently agreed when he mentioned mr. Bynes. Then it was silent. She wanted to keep the conversation going and then she caught his eye. Come on think of something anything! " You have really nice ey-shoes, shoes I really like your shoes... yellow must be your favorite color..." that was a nice save and this isn't awkawrd at all.

It then registered with Aria that they were standing in front of the bath room which he was probably going into before she interrupted. oh im totally making a fool of myself. she turned back to Jesse. "Sorry to bother you when you were..." she pointed to the bathroom "about to use the..." her hand went to rub het neck. She started to back away. "I should probably..." leave before I embarass myself even more. "See you... in class?" I dont even know whats happening any more.

Reactions: Penelope Sky
Jesse's eyes widened slightly, his lips spreading into a wide, bright smile. What's with this girl? He asked himself. Normally, a thought like that would be more on the negative side, but this time, it was more positive. Actually, she was kind of awe inspiring. In that weird, awkward kind of way that Jesse didn't really understand. He didn't really know her, but he thought it would be cool to change that. To see who she was behind knowing all the answers in class, and all of that smart kid stuff.

But Jesse knew that would be kind of impossible. She didn't hang out with anyone he knew, and he didn't want to get her in trouble. To...rub off on her, he guessed. But he could still think she was interesting. Even if a little flighty at the moment. But kind of intriguing.

Jesse allowed himself to smile widely yet again before rubbing his face, wiping the grin away. He had his chance to get high with Argus now, but Jesse was sure he could smoke on his own for a little, and technically he was doing the guy a favor by standing guard. Maybe after school, if Jesse still felt like it, or at least in a couple of minutes. The young slacker needed a little something to clear his head, but it was so strange how he was holding himself back. He was still nervous about her discovering the weed, however, and he could feel his heart continuing it's vast, erratic pump, crashing through his ribcage and shattering his chest.

Jesse shook his head, waving his hand in a casual, dismissive motion as he straightened his posture a little. "Uh, no, it's cool." He nodded a couple times, reinforcing his statement. "I just wanted to, you know, get out of class, and everything, before I..." He sighed, rubbing the back of his neck. "You know, before I died of total boredom." Jesse smiled slightly, looking to his feet yet again before remembering Aria's comment on his shoes. His smile grew as his gaze returned to her's. "Oh, and, uh, thanks about the shoes. Yellow's a pretty cool color, but I really like red. It's very, uh...effervescent."

Jesse smirked. That was a word someone used on the Discovery Channel one time about how the human brain progresses from adolescence to adulthood. 'The brain slowly decreases in effervescence with age.' Jesse was pretty confused about that statement at first, since he thought it meant some kind of essence or something - like, a chemical, but the rest of the episode segment didn't really fit that. So, after torturing himself over it for awhile, he decided to look it up. It means vibrant or energetic. Jesse liked that. And, he liked the Discovery Channel, too, as much as he hated to admit it. It made him look smart, and, once he gets that reputation, people would start expecting more of him, which...which would require effort. And effort sucks.

Ebony dropped to the bathroom floor and slipped her distressed black and white striped sweater, that she had worn over her t-shirt, off and wrapped it around her bleeding hand before cradling it against her chest. Shortly after fear and pain registered in her mind and she scooted herself into a corner as tears started to roll down her face. How am I going to explain this to my parents, they'll definitely start force feeding me that medication if I don't come up with a good enough excuse. UGH, why did I have to go and lose it like that, stupid . . . stupid stupid STUPID.

She brought her knees up and tried to relax to the sense of security that she had created for herself, but the cold fingers of fear just wouldn't stop caressing at the nape of her neck.

(Sorry, I passed out)

Emily watched as everyone left and stopped everything she was doing. She felt that weird feel and it was worse than usual. Emily stood and grabbed a square like things from her desk. She ran to the door and on her way she yelled. "I'm going to the bathroom!"

She ran down the hallway to the bathrooms. She passed Jesse and Aria and dashed in. She went into a stall and quickly changed.

He had waited a while before he began to get impatient. With a record of awkward timing, he assumed by the voices outside that they were just other students who were also up to no good. He had the janitor's scheduled rounds timed, and when he checked his phone for the time he knew that the janitor was on the opposite end of the school. He lit up the blunt, taking a long drag from it, lighting up the little ember at the tip to a brilliant shine during that first inhale.

The smell filled his lung and he held it there fore a while untill he felt his head begin to float, and slowly let the smoke leak out from the corners of his lips.

"Ahhh, man, fuck my life" He let out in a breathy, raspy voice. "Maybe I should just ditch class altogether." He thought aloud, something he was used to doing during his smoking sessions was that he couldnt contain his thoughts from escaping his lips. The smell was sure to cause problems outside the bathroom, and he hadnt realized the air vents above him that would unfortunately leak into the neighboring bathroom. How'd he forget such amateur mistake after years of carrying on with such habit?

Lily suddenly hear all these noises. Lots of people in the bathroom, someone in a stall near hear, glass shattering, etc. Her claustrophobia started to come into play. She was started to be crushed, slowly, especially by a the thoughts swirling in her head.

'Deep breathes, deep breathes,' she thought. She's practiced ever since....

That thought was much worse than the others, and it started to crush her much more itself, then more with the others combined.

The breathing wasn't working. She couldn't breathe. She needed air, oxygen. Her heart started a race with a motorcycle going at 200 miles per hour, and her heart was winning. She started to wheeze silently, almost as if hyperventilating.

Her fingers attacked the inside lock as she tried to open it, but in the rush and state she was in, it was hard to keep still and be patient.

After a few seconds, she banged on the inside of the stall door, but it wouldn't help if someone heard anyway. The lock was on the inside.

'No, no, no!" The memory of her parents began to replay itself, as history does. She became dizzy, drowning in everything. 'Not again.'

Once more, she tried the lock, and it opened. She fell past the door as the door opened, landing on her hands and knees. She was almost gasping for breathe. She was dizzy to begin with. But now with all the air coming at once so late, now it was like a hard wall of distortion hit her. The room was... not even clear enough to explain.

She fell onto her side, staring at the wall. It was white, but somehow it was still spinning. Everything was.

Emily stepped out of her stall, feeling way better. She thought she heard something but didn't. She smelled something though. Emily knew exactly what it was after a second sniff. She washed her hands then walked out and looked around. She knew someone was smoking cause her parents did it. Her dad died from smoking. "That bastard had it coming!" She told herself.

Ebony looked up quickly when she heard one of the stall doors crash open and lily tumble out. She forgot about her hand and managed to her feet before walking over and kneeling down beside the girl and speaking gently, "Lily, listen to me breath in the nose slow and deep, hold it for ten seconds, the breath out of your mouth slowly, you need to calm down."

Aria stopped backing up when he told her it was okay, his smile was contagious and she found herself smiling again. Just breath this is getting easier. "Effervescent... nice im gonna steal that word if you dont mind." Then she grinned." I think I got like brain damage from hitting my head on the table, I had to get out of there..." she pouted "My poor brain couldn't take it." She mimed an explosion.

"Reds a good color, probably like my second favorite but Blue tops all. If you look out at the sky at exactly 6:32am during daylights saving thats my favorite color...." She looked back at his face and realized she was rambling. "Im being weird again sorry about that, but your nothing like i expected you to be... your pretty cool."

Aria relaxed a bit. "Is there any class that you do like, I mean something tells me you hate math." She smiled again. " I mean... if your having trouble I could ... I dont know help you, I mean im not a teacher but..." She shrugged her shoulders and tried to appear nonchalant. " I dont really like math but I get it." She prayed she didnt offend him. "Anything to help a fellow classmate." did I just say fellow?

Jesse smiled, his posture relaxing as Aria continued talking. He was, after all, still a little tense about the weed, but talking to her helped him take his mind off things - to help him, just for a second, to simply forget. There was something about her he kinda liked, but he wasn't sure how he felt about it yet. It was weird. And of course, Jesse was familiar with the concept of weird, but he wasn't sure, exactly, just what kind of weird this was.

Answering her question about which class he was most into, Jesse wasn't sure what to say. There was Art, of course, but all the assignments were lame, and no art teacher ever gave him time to create what he really liked - comic stuff. Superheroes. Doodles and random shit from his imagination that only he could create. But, of course, that still wasn't something he wanted to share with anyone else. Drawing was his little secret, something he found solace in, a world where he could control everything and nothing could control him. Giving that information away would be too...weird...for Jesse, especially since it's always been pretty private.

Jesse just shrugged. "Science," he said, smirking. "I have this...thing for Science. It's..." He paused, looking to his feet again before rubbing one eye with his palm. He sighed, then looked back at Aria. "It's kinda cool, I guess, but, you know, all the teachers are complete wackjobs, so..."

He shook his head, waving the thought away with a dismissive hand motion. "Anyway, I guess...if you wanted to give me some help in math, or something, that would be..." Jesse smiled, stepping forward from the wall only a little, but just enough to notice, a little closer to Aria. "That would be cool."

For a moment, Jesse had forgotten about the weed. Completely brain wiped, like he had no other obligations but to just stand there, look at his shoes, and breathe. Jesse liked that feeling. Being in a bliss like that. No problems. No inhibitions. Contentedly being in a world where he never had to worry again.

He was beginning to feel just a little better about himself, but then he smelled something, the familiar, herbal scent creeping its way into his nostrils like a milkshake through a straw - slow, easy, and good, and the overwhelming desire to smoke had reached Jesse's mind yet again, like the joint itself was knocking on his door, inviting him back in with an easygoing smile. It was the weed, Jesse knew, and God, he was going to get some..

Until he made a realization. It was Argus smoking in there. Argus. And his weed - his goddamn pot - was pungent as hell. Jesse rolled his eyes, sighing deeply and holding his head in his hands. The smell - so strong. Aria was sure to find out. And so was everybody else. Shit.

"Hey," Jesse said, his voice shaky as he nervously rubbed his eyes, leaning back against the wall, slouching on all his weight. He gestured to the bathroom door, failing to look at Aria one more time. "I'm gonna...uh, you know, use the bathroom, so, I'll see you around." He frowned. Jesse felt like a douche just leaving like that, so he smiled and suggested, "Maybe at lunch or something? Is that..cool?"

Emily put her hands over her nose and mouth in disgust and ran back to the classroom. She ran in. "Someone is smoking weed!" She yelled at the teacher. The teacher dropped the textbooks and looked at Emily. "Who?" The teach asked. "I don't know but it came in through the vent!" She said. The teacher stormed out and headed to the boys bathroom. Emily followed, her hands still on her nose and mouth.

A blur of a voice. A gentle sound. Something she hadn't heard in what felt like forever. Though, she would appreciate it more if she could understand her.

Her eyes closed as she fainted from lack of oxygen. But she was only to be unconscious for a minute or so.

When Ebony saw the Emily girl dash out of the bathroom she acted quickly, she got to her feet before turning the cold water on in one of the sinks and cupped her hand. She filled her hand with the little bit it could hold and then splashed Lily's face with it in an attempt to revive her before shaking the girl's shoulder, "Lily you need to wake up, trouble is brewing pretty quickly and I don't think you want to be caught up in it, especially since the mirror is broken."

Science. science was okay. Aria liked the hands on part of science like chemicals and turning fire different colors. Especially labs with fire. She woudn't exactly call herself a pyromaniac seeing as though she had only caused a fire once in her life which was purely accidental, she was seven at the time. I mean they were nice but to go around just starting fires just to look at them was crazy.

Aria couldn't help but grin widely when Jesse said math help would be cool, then she toned it down a bit and cleared her throat."Yeah, cool anytime all you have to do is tell me if or when you need help and I'll try my best." Aria was glad people could not read each others mind. She was jumping up and down in excitement on the inside of course.

Who knew it was this easy, I should have started talking to people a long time ago. We can go to cafes, meet a whole bunch more people, watch movies at my house, text, Oh my gosh I could throw a party. WAIT... don't get too far ahead of yourself Aria. You don't want to smother them and scare them away. Aria was an only child with parents who were constantly traveling, and she was not the most social person if it was hard to tell. She couldn't help being a little excited, but she didn't like when people pitied her. The countless school and community events and parent teacher meetings her parents missed. They even missed her 11th birthday but it was okay because they brought her 3 dolls when they returned.

The teachers were always giving her those sad looks when no one would come to pick her up, or they were late, or when their cellphones would go to voice mail. She didnt care... really. "Alright then Jesse I'll see you later, lunch would be perfectly fine, ill uh let you handle your business." She gave a short wave with a smile on her face and turned around. The boys bathroom smelled. The janitor clearly wasn't doing his job. She started to walk down the hall when she heard a whole lot of commotion in the girls bathroom. She had her hand and pushed it open.

Jesse, scanning her with his shiny blue eyes, watched Aria enter the girl's bathroom until she disappeared behind the heavy, wooden door. There seemed to be some noises coming from the inside, but Jesse decided it was kind of impossible to investigate it further, so he sighed, rubbed the back of his neck and redirected his attention to the problem at hand.

Argus was in there smoking pot, and the smell was sure to give him away at any second now. And Jesse, too, for that matter, if Argus told Principle Mollina about how he invited him to partake. Jesse wasn't sure if he should get the hell out of dodge, or warn his friend, but no mater what, he knew they would at least suspect him for being involved, especially since Brandon - affectionately known as Badger - was out sick.

Jesse sighed yet again. That Emily girl who ran out of the bathroom a little ago seemed to bolt out just a bit too fast, darting into the classroom like she had a purpose, too. Like, she was planning on revealing some bad behavior to their beloved Mr. Bynes. Like, maybe, she smelled the pot and planned to rat. Great.

Taking a deep breath full of second hand smoke, Jesse knew there was nothing he could do to conceal the smell. Not even shoving his hoodie under the door could stop it from wafting through the halls - it was already out there, and by the gods, Mr. Bynes would find out.

Shit, Jesse said to himself yet again. Opening the door would let the smoke out in a magnificent burst, sure to spread to the whole floor and beyond. That would definitely get him caught. Both of them, for that matter.

No. Jesse had it. An idea. He had an idea. Viciously, he banged on the door. "Yo, man!" he shouted, still banging. "It smells like skunk out here!" He paused for a moment, taking a few more smacks at the door until his hand got tired. "I think somebody told Bynes. Hurry the hell up!"

With that, Jesse ran down the hall until he disappeared behind a corner, allowing him to take a quick breath before speed walking to the library. Reaching the door, he looked around cautiously until he noticed the nearby lost and found. His hoodie smelled like weed, so he quickly slipped it off and into the pile of missing clothes, jostling it around until it lay safetly hidden at the bottom. Now, he wore an oversized black shirt with a red and gold dragon on it, one of his favorites that he loved to match with just about everything. Taking another look around, he entered the library, looking at nothing but the floor before he casually perused the book shelves, pretending to study the comedy dramas.

He wasn't supposed to be in here, but it was a viable excuse, and no teacher didn't like hearing that Jesse was doing some harmless research. There was no way he could go back into the classroom with the stench of weed on his hoodie and and a bad rep with Mr. Bynes - that was out of the question. Getting caught would be more than eminent.

But, Jesse was smart. He knew how to make getaways, how to be clever. He warned Argus and helped himself at the same time. He was bad, but he was proud. Yeah, bitch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.