HEY ASMO!

Discussion in 'THREAD ARCHIVES' started by Torsty, Apr 14, 2010.

1. STOP SPAMMIN' OUTSIDE THE FUCKING ASYLUM!

AND THE REST OF YOU, STOP SUCKING E-PENIS SO MUCH!

• Like Like x 1
  2. HE'S A BAD ROLE MODEL

3. -throws doughnuts at torst- >: (

4. BUT IT'S SO GOOD

Nevermind, that's way too homosexual.

5. I canneh help it. I'm a cat.

<-------

Once everyone forgives me for stuff, then I'll stop spamming.

AND BY THE WAY, WORK IS ONE OF THE BEST PLACES TO GET POSTS WRITTEN!

SERIOUSLY, I'VE STEALTH-WRITTEN ABOUT FOUR ROLEPLAY POSTS AND IT'S NOT EVEN MY LUNCHBREAK YET.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Actually I've no idea why I thanked that, but I second the notion!

7. You thanked it because you're an elephant.

Or a sychophant.

Whichever makes you hurt more inside.

8. I'M GOING WITH ELEPHANT.

9. EVERYBODY IS SLURPING YOUR BOLLOX, MANG
    THEY FORGIVE YOU
    STOP PLAYING ALONG
    IT WAS FUN IN IW
    STOP FLAUNTING HOW YOU WRITE FAIRYTALES DURING WORK
    I'M TELLING YOUR BOSS

10. You ain't got the balls, Whoresty!

And Diana, that's a terrible way to talk about Gibs,

11. WHOREST HUMP WILL HAVE AN 'IRISH PUMP'-SESSION WITH YOUR BOSS THEN

12. BAWWW D:<

13. Did you enjoy the book? What did you like best/least about it? Did it take you a while to get into it?
    Yes. It was surprisingly an entertaining read. It was a little slow in the beginning. Ben's self-loathing was a definite turn off but I'm glad I pushed through. I really didn't care for Willow's character though. I thought she was rather pointless. I really believed she was going to turn on him at some point but it doesn't appear to be that way.

What would you consider the central theme of the story to be?
    Overcoming your own fears and taking risks you wouldn't normally take.

Was the story more character-focused or plot-drive in your opinion?

I think the book focused a lot on Ben and his feelings and his fears. It had a plot but I feel it more about the character than the story line.

Do you have a favorite part? Something funny, sad, disgusting -- anything that left an impression on you?
    The scene where Questor falls into the lava was shocking. I literally gasped. I couldn't believe it. I really thought he was dead and to have died in such a terrible way was sad. The wizard, though cooky and questionable at times, did not deserve such a death. I was glad he finally mastered the magic and saved himself. I also liked the scenes with Strabo.

What made the setting unique? Do you think it could've happened anywhere else without changing the plot/characters?
    It needed to be a magical kingdom. The story wouldn't make much sense in any other scene. It was all about the fantasy element and Ben coming to terms with it and finding a place within it.

Did the characters change throughout the story? If so, for the better or worse? Has it changed your opinion of them?
    Only Ben seemed to change. He went from a self-hating lawyer to a fun loving gentle king of a magical land. He learned to let go of the pain of losing his wife and child, and it made him a better man because of it.

Which character was the most relatable? Why?
    I really liked Abernathy. He seemed to be the only logical one in the bunch.

Overall the book was pretty good. I think the author could have delved more into Nightshade and the Mark. Their scenes seemed to move rather quickly and for such 'formidable' adversaries, Ben seemed to dominate them rather quickly.

14. I'm gonna be selective with the questions provided, because I have nothing worthwhile to say in response to some of them. 8D

Did you enjoy the book? What did you like best/least about it? Did it take you a while to get into it?

I did. Solid 8/10 book imo. The worldbuilding and various plot stuff was what kept me interested, and funnily enough the characters were the part I liked the least (which I'll ramble about in a later answer). It took a few chapters for the book to really grab me, after Ben got to Landover and it presented the troubles of the Tarnish and whatnot. Before then it was fairly dull.

What would you consider the central theme of the story to be?

Probably something about self-discovery and facing your demons (quite literally in this case). Everything revolved around Ben and his angst more than anything else. The whole plot was basically a vehicle for Ben to face his demons and discover that he was in fact king material, which culminated in the Paladin being a literal manifestation of his own determination to do good. Doesn't get much more central than that.

Do you have a favorite part? Something funny, sad, disgusting -- anything that left an impression on you?

The discussion between Ben and Strabo was pretty great. I've always enjoyed it when stories present things as monsters and then flip the script on you. The dragon being a rational being instead of a mindless beast was a neat little twist, and his "ugh, fucking humans in their stories, I tried being nice but it's easier being the monster they want me to be" speech was amusing.

Did the characters change throughout the story? If so, for the better or worse? Has it changed your opinion of them?

Not really. Ben changed. He evolved from depressed middle-aged guy into angry and frustrated guy and then into a guy with some confidence and shit. It was a decent older dude twist on the classic fantasy main character arc of an outcast kid turning into a hero.

Everyone else, however, seemed rather static. Questor was the goofy wizard the whole way through, and his single time of getting magic just right didn't change that. Abernathy remained the same old grumpy mentor-ish dog man. The kobolds had near zero characterization to begin with and ended the same way. The gnomes were dumb little caricatures from the start and didn't change. Neither the lord dudes nor the River Master had any significant change by the end of the story.

The worst of the lot was Willow. I get what the idea was there: I've seen other stories with fairy creatures and the whole shtick of belonging to the first dude who sees them bathing or in another vulnerable circumstance, but this just came off as a really clunky addition to the cast for narrative convenience rather than because she was needed. The connection between Ben and Willow added nothing of value to his interactions with the River Master, despite that being a rather obvious avenue for influence of some kind. She did nothing in Deep Fell that the gnomes could not. Willow freeing everyone from the crag trolls felt damned close to a deus ex machina and frankly could have been replaced by a flat out deus ex machina without changing things in any important way. She felt like she was thrown into the mix just to give Ben a love interest and act as a symbol of him overcoming his fantasy-creature bigotry by way of accepting that he totally wants to take tree girl to the bone zone. She existed in this story expressly for the purposes of narrative convenience and Ben's character growth, all the while experiencing no growth of her own (unless you count growing into a tree, which I do not). Frankly, I was disappointed that she did not die and act as Ben's final motivational push to succeed in the way of him being all like "I refuse to let anyone else I care about die." By the end of the book she still felt like a weird shoehorned love interest rather than a developed character that mattered worth a damn outside her connection to Ben, and that's a damn shame because there are so many interesting things that could have been done with making a fairy creature into a love interest.

So overall I enjoyed the book, but as you can see I have some serious problems with the characters. XD

15. .... But..... Penis...

*cries*

IT'LL WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILT!!!

16. Asmo's a big non-hairy faggot.

Guess that's why all of you gaywads love the guy so much.

'cause yous fags.

17. Fagophants.

Gay elephants - all of them.