Here Be Dragons

Triston scoffed. "No fancy turns? All right, fine. Just a few loops," he said with a chuckle. Tide growled at him, and he laughed. "Kidding. Tough crowd. We have an injured dragon with us, Tide, of course I'm not gonna do anything crazy."

Satisfied, the Tide Glider snorted and bobbed his head. Then he took off to follow behind Lambi and Luna with an even pace. He knew the way back home, so even if he had to slow down for some reason, he wouldn't get lost.

Triston seemed fine for the most part, at least at first. But then there were a few moments where he very nearly nodded off in the saddle and had to be woken up by a growl or roar from Tide. Once or twice he wobbled a bit. Overall, though, he seemed to be in okay condition, and he was still able to dismount and stand on his own once the group reached the stables at Lambi's home.

"Whew! Tide must be pretty worn out, carrying all that extra weight. Good boy," Triston added, reaching up to rub Tide's nose.

Tide rumbled happily and closed his eyes, but then he curled up around Triston and huffed.

"What, a nap? Now? But I'm not even tired," the rider protested, crossing his arms.

Lambi was worried about the other especially when he saw him nodding off once or twice. He made sure to have Luna fly closer to tide just in case anything happened. Thankfully they made it home without anyone falling asleep or any other incidents. As he hopped off Luna, holding two of the babies he watched tide curl around Triston. "Ahh you're taking inside mister, where it's warm and I can check that bandage to make sure you didn't scratch at it," he didn't want Triston sleeping outside, it was far too cold for that. The injured adult hobble grunt took the baby from Triston's lap before hurrying to follow Lambi. He took them over to a free stall, getting them set up with some food and water. Seeing the babies all easily curl up and start nodding off he smiled, quietly heading back to the house. "Keep on eye on those babies Luna, they're a mischievous bunch," the light fury nodded as she sauntered off to where her stall was. Lambi knew that they needed to get the new island prepared as soon as possible. Baby dragons were stressful to keep here since they didn't listen and liked to explore. Seeing Triston he moved over to him,"Up you get, you were nodding off most of the ride so no point arguing a nap."

"I - but I can't nap, there's so much to do!" Triston protested. "What about helping the injured dragon, and making sure everything's cleaned up for when your mom gets back, and - " Triston stammered.

Tide rumbled and reared up, gently picking up Triston in his jaws and slithering towards the house. There he chuffed and waited for Lambi to open the door.

Triston groaned and rolled his eyes as he dangled in midair. "Okay. I'll go take a nap. Yeesh. How's your arm holding up, Lambi?" he added.

Lambi watched as Triston protested taking a nap before looking at tide. It was like the dragon read his mind, picking up the rider and taking him to the door. He moved over and opened the door for tide to set Triston down. "You're already half asleep as if, you'd only get hurt if you tried to help out," he pointed out,"And one injured Hobblegrunt isn't that bad to manage, plus tide and Luna can entertain the babies for me while I'm working on the adult." He moved to be blocking the door once Triston was inside, making sure he didn't try and weasel his way back out. At the mention of his arm he laughed a little," My arm feels fine, now take your nap!" With that he turned around and headed around back to check on the Hobblegrunt and see about changing her bandages.

As an extra precaution, Tide curled up around Triston once inside the house and laid his head on top of the boy's chest. Triston sighed deeply before yawning in spite of himself. Finally he smiled and nodded, relaxing against the soft mattress and Tide's smooth scales. "Okay, okay. But I'm gonna come help once I wake up again!"

He was asleep for nearly three hours. Only once Tide was sure he was all right did the dragon let him get up off the bed and stagger outside. Triston stretched and cracked his back before wandering out towards the stables; his eyes were much brighter, and he was completely alert again. The nap must have helped. "Lambi, where you at?" he called softly.

Tide followed closely behind him. As the pair went, he sniffed the air to catch Lambi and Luna's scent, assuming they were close by but wanting to make a game out of hunting them.

Lambi laughed at how tide laid on the other, he was definitely not getting up anytime soon. "Yeah yeah just get some sleep!" he planned to check the other's head after he got up. He wouldn't let him help if he still seemed woozy. He left with Luna over to where they left the hobble grunts. Lambi started on the adult while Luna watched the babies. Neither noticed how much time had passed and didn't hear Triston call out. The adult hobblegrunt was nicely bandaged but now he was dealing with the babies. "Luna. I love you but your parenting skills, they need some work," he could be heard sighing and was standing outside one of the stables. At the very top the babies had climbed up and were chewing on the wood frame. Luna huffed and smacked Lambi's head lightly with her tail before grumbling. "My fault!? You were in charge of them," he countered before scratching his head,"You know you have wings, you could fly and grab them?" Luna huffed before flying up a little but when she tried to grab one they spit a little tiny ball of flame at her. Lambi snickered as he landed again and grumbled at him. "You were bested by a baby," seeing tide and Triston he smiled,"Luna failed babysitting duty and now the babies are staking a claim on the roof."

Triston couldn't help laughing as one of the baby hobblegrunts poked his face over the roof before disappearing again. "Eh, could be worse. They could've staked a claim on a village instead." He studied the group for a moment before nodding. "But don't worry. I have an idea. Tide? Give me a lift?"

He climbed onto Tide's head, and slowly, the dragon lifted him up until he was just above the roof. Tide also had a mouthful of water ready in case one of the babies tried to shoot a fireball at Triston.

Triston carefully climbed off Tide's head onto the roof and knelt down, offering a hand to the baby hobblegrunts. "C'mere, little guys. Want to come play?" he called softly, clicking his tongue.

Lambi glared at the baby hobble grunt as it stuck a tongue out at him. The mention of them going to the village made him bristle. "That would definitely be alot worse, fair point," that's why they needed to start moving them to the bigger island so they'd be safer. As Triston climbed in tides head he immediately got nervous. "I-I don't think that's a very good idea, your head might still not be good," he couldn't do anything to stop the other though so he sighed as he stood by. One of the babies turded purple and walked a bit towards Triston. Before another turned red and mewled making the curious one scurry back. Taking advantage of the distraction Luna flew up and grabbed two of them before flying back down. "Hah! Two out of four you little buggers," he moved to put them inside the stable,"There's only one left up there, the fourth one never left the stable." He liked the fourth one it was the chillest of them all.

"Ah, relax! My head feels fine. I'll be perfectly safe," Triston promised, waving Lambi off as he climbed carefully across the roof. He smiled when Luna scooped up two of the three babies. Only one left to go. "Ha, see! Easy peasy. I'll be down in a second."

He shuffled towards the last Hobblegrunt, keeping his hand extended. "C'mere, little guy," he called softly. "C'mere. Do you want to go play with your brothers and sisters? Huh? They're all in the stable waiting for you," he crooned.

Lambi was still unsure about his head and gestured to tide to keep close just in case he wobbled or anything. He watched as he shuffled to towards the baby which was the most skittish of the bunch. Seeing his color slowly changing a bit he got nervous. "I don't think that one-" he was cut off as the baby suddenly booked it away from Triston, jumping off the roof. Being a baby it couldn't really fly so Lambi moved to catch him. Which he did, sort of, well his body caught him as sent him crashing to the ground. "Ooookay, that's a way to get down," he was a bit breathless from being knocked over but otherwise fine. Luna came over to him and glared at the baby before picking it up and carrying it over to the stable to the other's.

Triston's eyes snapped wide when the baby dragon suddenly bolted off the roof. He ran after it to catch it, but Tide caught the back of his tunic and pulled him back, making sure he wouldn't fall off the edge himself. Triston leaned forward anyway to peer down at Lambi. "Sorry, Lambi! You okay?" he called.

Tide huffed and gently set Triston on the ground, rumbling quietly.

"What? I didn't die. You were there to catch me," Triston said with a grin.

Tide rolled his eyes and chirped.

"Yeah, yeah, okay. So we've caught the babies, Lambi! What's next on the list?" Triston asked, ignoring Tide as he received several licks through his hair.

Lambi was still taking a minute to catch his breath when he saw Triston jump off. But luckily tide grabbed the other's tunic and he let out a sigh. "I'm ok besides you nearly giving me a heart attack!" he pouted up at the other before putting the baby with the other's. He cleaned himself off a little as he turned back to Triston. "Ahh most of everyone here in the stables is good for the day, food and bandages. But we could catch the dragons on the mini island right next door," he hadn't been able to show Triston that spot yet. It was where most of the dragons were since they couldn't roam the main island but they really needed to get the new island ready for them.

"Sounds great to me!" Triston said, clapping his hands together. He glanced up at his dragon with a smile. "Tide?"

Tide chuffed and flapped his wings before laying down in the grass so Triston could put a saddle on him and climb on. Within a few minutes, the pair were slithering through the grass, waiting for Lambi and Luna to prepare. "Ready when you both are! Lead the way!" Triston called.

Lambi yawned quietly a bit as he headed over to Luna, who was waiting for him. "It's not that far, it's pretty close," hopping on her back he double checked triston was fine before the took off. The island was close like he said, just a short ride off the coast of the main island, it wasn't super small nor super big either, just somewhere in the middle. Landing on the coast he waited for Triston to hop off. Once they were both on land he moved over and started checking the other's head, making sure his bandage was still good. Satisfied he was ok he turned back to look into the trees,"Pretty much just checking the overall island, making sure no one is hurt. Some of the dragons are really friendly other's really don't like strangers. Soooo best advice is to let them approach you instead of the other way around." He stuck close to Triston, so he could keep an eye on the other and his bandage. "How do you feel after the nap?" he started walking, Luna following behind.

Triston blinked when the first thing Lambi did after they landed was check his bandage. It made sense, of course, but Triston had figured now that he was conscious and walking around, Lambi would stop caring about the injury. He was pleasantly surprised to find otherwise. Triston chuckled and playfully waved Lambi's hands away. "I feel like I have two Tides hanging around me. My head is fine. Honest."

Then he paused and locked eyes with Lambi, a soft smile settling on his face. ". . . But I do appreciate you asking. Not everyone would. I'm still kind of getting used to other humans being so kind."

Tide rumbled and bobbed his head as they group walked, giving Lambi's hair a lick.

Triston giggles. "Tide says thank you, too. Now, let's see who else is around . . ." He carefully scanned the nearby area, searching for signs of dragons. Footprints. Droppings. Anything.

Lambi couldn't help being concerned about the other's head. He felt like it was his fault since he had Luna sink the ship not knowing Triston was on it. He pouted a little bit when he waved his hands away from his head. "It's partially my fault your head is bandaged in the first place so I can't help wanting to check it," seeing the other's soft smile he returned it, happy the other appreciated it. With that he stuck close to the other while they walked, laughing when tide licked his hair.

"Tide and I make a pretty good team when it comes to making sure you don't over exert yourself," he smiled at tide as they continued. There were a few dragon tracks here and there. "There's a few little herds, there's some deadly natters, some terrible terrors, just a random array of dragons. Pretty much just any dragons that either we couldn't find a island for them or they didn't want to leave." Quite a few dragons decided to stay with them after they rescued them, it started out with just a few and slowly grew.

"Aw, come on. Don't give yourself any credit. My head never would've been injured if there weren't any dragon hunters," Triston pointed out. "Besides, I already feel a lot better."

All at once he gasped and grabbed Lambi's arm, pointing. "Lambi! Look!" he whispered. A small group of Gronkles buzzed by overhead, casting curious glances down at the small group.

Tide reached his head up and sniffed a few times, giving a soft grunt. One of the Gronkles returned the greeting. And after a few moments, the dragons landed nearby, waddling over through the grass with their wings folded. They were among the friendliest of the herd, and their leader, a slate grey Gronkle with green eyes, moved to the front and gently bumped his nose horn against Lambi's leg.

Lambi still felt horrible and partially responsible for his head. "I promise I'll try not to blame myself if you promise not to shoo me away when I'm checking your bandage," he compromised. There really was no way to avoid Lambi checking him over when he was injured. He winced a bit when Triston grabbed his arm, happening to grab the spot he got cut but ignored it as he looked up. Spotting the gronkles he smiled and hurried over to meet them as they land.

"These guys are definitely some of the most friendly on the island here," he smiled at the leader of the little group came towards him. "Hello Smokey! You're looking happy today," he gave the Gronkle a hug before looking at Triston,"Do not laugh at his name! I was like 7 or something when I named him...not the most creative name but he likes it!"

"Ooh, sorry. My bad," Triston mumbled when he realized where he'd grabbed Lambi's arm. "You okay?" He took a breath and shook his head. "All right, all right. Deal."

He watched in a mixture of awe and happiness as the Gronkles quickly settled in amongst Lambi and the others, and he couldn't help stretching out a hand to pet a few. Then he glanced at Lambi and blinked. "Dude. I named my Tide Glider after his species. You're more creative than me by several hundred yards. Besides, Smokey is a great name," he added.

Tide glanced around in surprise as several Gronkles settled down around him for a nap, cautiously holding his wings up so they wouldn't be sat on. He glanced at Luna and chirped in confusion.

Lambi gave him a smile as he reassured him,"Its OK just stung for a few seconds that's all, not like you meant to hurt me anyways." He was happy when the other agreed to his deal just before the dragons showed up. It made him laugh when he pointed out the name was more creative than tide's. "Well Tide is a good name, it suits him, but I'm glad you like Smokey's name," he noticed a few Gronkles sniffing at him,"It's ok guys, this is Triston he's a friend. If you're nice to him he'll play fetch with you."

Luna heard Tide chirped and noticed the Gronkles laying down next to him, chirping a little laughing. Lambi looked to her and saw the dragons, laughing a little. "They definitely seem to like tide, I don't think he's going to able to move for quite awhile," he laughed,"You ever try and move Gronkle? It's like moving an actual Boulder!"