Here Be Dragons

"Yeah, no kidding," Triston agrees, laughing heartily. He throws an arm around Lambi the way Tide often throws a wing around him. "Tell you what. Let's take plenty of breaks while we're mapping the island to practice being people. I don't mind if we take a few extra days to chart anything. Do you?" He nudges Lambi's arm and tosses his head. "We could start by going for a swim in the creek! That sounds like fun, right?"

Tide jumps and shrinks back, but he's nowhere near fast enough to avoid the flurry of leaves that drop onto his head. He sneezes as one tickles his nose. Then his eyes lock onto the movement of the leaves. He sinks into a crouch as his eyes open wide and dilate, and his lower tail wriggles as he locks in on his target.

He pounces and snaps his jaws shut on a mouthful of leaves, only to end up crashing into a bush in the process. He squirms and thrashes to right himself and finally arches up again, covered in more leaves than before. He growls dramatically and glances around to try and find a river to wash off in.

(sorry! Suddenly all my lesser active rps started coming up again and I'm like 0.0)

Lambi was looking at his book when Triston suddenly threw an arm around him. It shocked him but he didn't actually mind the feeling that. "Taking lots of breaks is something normal people do?" he raised an eyebrow at him playfully,"Normal people have got the right idea then don't they?" He laughed as they continued walking before Triston mentioned going for a swim. "Ah...in our clothes?" he was admittedly making up tiny excuses to avoid swimming. One wouldn't believe it but Lambi actually didn't know how to swim. He really never had the chance or need to learn. It was a bit embarrassing though he had to admit.

Luna laughed at her successful leaf ambush. She sat back as she watched tide try to attack them. Key word try, as he promptly fell into another bush. The night fury was instantly letting out a dragons form of a laugh. Seeing him heading towards the water she not quietly followed along, still laughing.

(No worries! That can be super overwhelming ^^)

Triston chuckles softly. "Sort of? I usually just go in my pants and leave everything else in the grass. It doesn't take long to dry out." Assuming Lambi actually does want to swim, he ambles over towards the creek, whistling softly. Then he tugs off his shirt, boots, and socks and tosses them aside with his satchel.

He flinches a little as he steps into the water; it's colder than he expected, though it's not too cold. He eases himself deeper in and takes a long breath as he sinks in up to his shoulders. "Ooh, that's the stuff," he murmurs, leaning back to float on his back. "Come on in, Lambi!"

It's not long before Tide locates the river. He slips in and rolls around a few times to get the leaves off of him. And, as long as Luna is nearby, he decides to try and splash her. He thrashes his tail through the water, sending a spray of water towards the Light Fury.

(it can 😂 it came out of nowhere suddenly I have like 6 replies and I was likw oh no 0.0)

Lambi had been hoping to get out of it since he didn't have anything to swim in. But Triston didn't seem bothered by swimming in his pants and they quickly started heading towards the water. He was immediately nervous but didn't know how to not go with without looking rude. So he quietly followed behind the other. As the reached the creek he stood by quietly as the other changed. Not seeing a way out he very slowly starting putting everything away in his book before setting it down far from the wild. After that he took his shoes, shirt and socks off but was still reluctant to head to the river. So he walked over, sitting on th edge and only putting his feet in the water. "Oh little chilly," he pointed out hoping that was a good excuse to no get in.

Luna watched him from a distance as he reached the river first. She came up close as the dragon quickly splashed her. She laughed before sending a shot into the water next to tide to make a big splash next to him.

(XD Happens to the best of us ^^)

"Yeah . . . a little . . ." Triston says, carefully watching Lambi. Is it his imagination, or does Lambi seem nervous about swimming? He decides he must be reading into it too much and shrugs, swimming back and forth across the creek. "It feels good once you get used to it, though! Maybe try jumping in to get used to it all at once?" he offers.

The dragons splash each other back and forth, with Tide floating further and further downstream. He suddenly spots Triston in the distance and chirrups in delight. Without hesitation, he drops below the waves and bolts forward, slamming into Triston at full speed.

Triston yelps and pulls in a breath as he's suddenly yanked underwater. Both he and his dragon pop up moments later, and Triston's laughing and sputtering. "Tide! You egg. Are you and Luna having fun?"

Tide licks his cheek in response before swimming back upstream. He swishes his tail and chirps a few times, inviting Luna to join the pair in the water.

(it happens out of nowhere for me 😂 like usually I've got 2 to 4 active threads and I can manage. But suddenly out of nowhere everyone just comes out of the wood works)

Lambi wasn't really sure how to avoid getting in the water. Triston seemed to love it and to be honest on a warm day like today he should also be hopping in the water. But he was too embarrassed to admit he couldn't swim so he just tried to make excuses for now. "Ahh...think I'll take some time to get used to it," he smiled at the other who was swimming back and forth. While he looked back down at his feet and the water he didn't notice tide until Triston was underwater. At first he panicked before seeing him come back up with tide. "Tide! Nearly gave me a heart attack thinking Triston was drowning," he laughed truly relieved when he was alright. Luna watched as tide came back in before carefully walking into the water. She didn't go swimming too often but she did love the feeling, gliding quietly through the water. The light fury did notice her rider on the egde of the water and was a tad nervous since she knew his fear of water.

(Right? It's like, "Where did you all come from?!" XD)

Tide gives a deep, rumbling chuckle noise. Then he gives his rider a lick, just to prove he's okay. Triston giggles and playfully pushes his head away. "Don't worry. Even if I got stuck under, I can hold my breath for almost ten minutes. You get a lot of practice when your dragon is a Tide Glider."

Only a few moments later, Tide and Triston pick up on Luna's agitation; Triston's far better at reading dragon body language than he is at reading humans. "You okay, Luna?" he calls out, climbing onto Tide's back so the pair can swim over. He reaches out a hand and gently pets her back to try and soothe her. "Hey, Lambi? Can you tell what's making Luna nervous? She seems upset with something."

(right!? Like 😂 I love all my rps but omg sometimes they just randomly pop off and I'm like noooo wait)

Lambi couldn't help being shocked when Triston said how long he could hold his breath. "10 minutes?! How do you not pass out?" he didn't think it was possible to hold your breath that long. He watched him head over to Luna and immediately knew she was nervous about him being near the water. Since Triston was faced away from him he mouthed to the dragon he would be ok. Seeing her rider was trying to avoid telling triston he couldn't swim she quickly splashed triston playfully as a distraction. Lambi, realizing she was giving him a distraction smiled a little. "You fell for you trap," he laughed, going along with Luna as if she was only looking nervous on purpose to trick triston and splash him. Yeah he knew he should probably admit he couldn't swim but he figured he was safe since he wasn't in the water.

((Okay now I definitely want to toss Lambi in the water at some point so Triston can rescue him XD))

"Aack - ! Luna!" Triston sputters, laughing and wiping water out of his eyes. He shakes his hair out and gives a short whistle to Tide.

Tide grins, as much as a dragon can, and dips his head underwater to pull in a large mouthful. Then he lifts his head back up and sends a spray of water straight at Luna.

"Ha! Take that!" Triston bursts out. All at once, he blinks and rubs his stomach as it grumbles. ". . . Huh. Guess I'm hungry." Tide rumbles at him, and he rolls his eyes. "Yeah, I know we ate like ten minutes ago. But exploring an island is hard work!" He slides off of Tide's back and tail onto the ground, where he pulls his clothes back on. "What do you think, Lambi? Want to help me find a snack?"

Tide huffs and pulls in another spray of water to shoot at Triston, who bursts out laughing all over again and starts wringing out his now soaked clothes. "All right, all right, we'll bring you back something. Luna? Want some food?"

(hehe I'm definitely up for that 😂)

Luna rumbled happily seeing she got Triston with the water. Even though that wasn't originally her plan it was definitely fun. As tide sent a spray of water at her she tried to avoid it but failed. Lambi did laugh a little, glad his dragon was having so much fun. He was a tad sad he couldn't join in his he was fine where he was. When Triston came over talking about food he also gave him a surprised look. "You get hungry fast," he teased playfully. Luna was swimming around the creek when she saw tide spray Triston, now soaking his clothes. She laughed but chirped happily when asked if she wanted food. "Luna will never turn down food," Lambi rolled his eyes jokingly.

Triston chuckles. "You know, it's funny - I didn't used to get hungry so often. I guess because I knew food was hard to come by sometimes. But since I've moved in with Capper, there's food available almost all the time! It's amazing." He ruffles the last of the water out of his hair and strolls deeper into the forest. "So, what kind of food should we look for? Coconuts? Berries? Crunch bugs?"

Tide chittered and fanned his fins up and down.

Triston clicks his tongue and makes finger guns at him. "Crunch bugs. You got it. Luna? Any preference?" he adds as he and Lambi start disappearing into the trees.

Lambi was really careful as he got up, trying not to slip into tht river. Once he was up and away from the water he felt alot better. "I usually carry berries or something when we are out flying," just because they didn't stop to make full meals all the time. It wasn't always safe to be lighting a fire. Luna didn't have trouble finding food, since she ate fish. Speaking of fish the light fury had dunked under water before coming back up with fish. "Oh Luna only eats fish mostly, night and light furries tend to be solely fish eaters," he gave the light fury a smile before the disappeared into the forest. "Should be careful with the berries we grab...never know if they're going to be safe always," they hadn't explored the vegetation on the island much yet.

"Well, I know more than a few different kinds of berries," Triston says with a nod. "Tide and I have been living mostly off the land for . . . huh, I don't know how long. But don't worry. I won't stuff any berries into my face that are poisonous. I promise." With that, he heads deeper into the forest, stepping between palm trees that eventually give way to more temperate species.

It's not long before Triston finds what he's looking for. "There! Wild blueberries!" he announces. He hurries forward and grabs a few handfuls before popping some into his mouth with a smile. "Mmm. These are good. And they make great bait for catching crunch bugs." His eyes glitter mischievously. "Have you ever hunted crunch bugs before?"

There were alot of berries and each island could be completely different. "I usually only pick berries on our home island...since I know they're safe," he didn't really eat berries too much to be honest. When he said he promised not to eat poisonous ones he laughed a little. "Well that's good because I don't think I would be able to help you if you did," he joked around with the other as they continued through the forest. The other's sudden excitement made him jump a little before seeing he found blueberries. Following him he helped pick a few bunches. "Crunch bugs ? Ahhh I can't say I have since Luna never eats bugs," he admitted.

Triston grins widely. "Then I'll teach you! It's gonna be so fun." He pushes a handful of berries into Lambi's hands. "Okay, step one. Find a shady spot and squeeze the blueberries all over the grass. Like this." He takes his own blueberries and heads over to a shaded area, where he presses juice onto the ground. "Then you've gotta make the crunch bug call." He holds two fingers to his mouth and whistles the same note, rapidly, over and over.

It's quiet for a few moments. Then a series of short, rapid whistles, quieter than Triston's, echo through the woods. Groups of sand colored beetles with grasshopper like legs skitter across the ground and convene at the blueberry puddle to lick it.

"Ta-daa!" Triston says, bending down to scoop a few up in his hands. "All we have to do now is collect a bunch and then fry them. They're super yummy."

Lambi was surprised by the other's excitement but excited to try this bug catching thing. "Squeeze them into the grass?" he watched the other go to a shady spot, staying back while he put the blueberry juice all over the grass. The whistling completely threw him off but he stayed quiet as to not disturb him. It wasn't long before a group of what most be crunch bugs came hurrying out to the blueberry. The pink hair boy shuddered a bit when he picked them up, bugs ways freaked him out. "They come to whistles?" he got a little closer to Triston but then the bugs moved and he jumped back a little,"Tide likes to eat those?"

Triston chuckles. "Yeah! I like 'em, too, when they're cooked." He starts stuffing them into a bag, and then ties it closed once it's full. He notices Lambi seems put off by the bugs, so he doesn't ask him to help gather them. "So, have you ever had coconut milk before? We could maybe grab some of that on the way back to the dragons."

"What do they taste like?" he had to admit he was a little bit curious about them. Though the bugs did freak him out a little he helped spread the blueberry juice before going to grab some more blueberries for them to eat. "Ahh coconut juice? I can't say I have, I don't visit many islands that have them on them to be fair," not to mention Luna wasn't too interested in them having to figure out how to reach the coconuts. "I wonder if there's any strawberries around..."he mumbled before wondering off a tiny bit. Those were his favorite thing to snack on, and occasionally he could convince Luna to try one.

"Sort of like honey? They're sweet, and crunchy," Triston explains. "As for the coconuts, they're pretty easy to find. And we might find some strawberries in the same place!" he adds, following after Lambi. Sure enough, a few moments later, the boys stumble across a strawberry patch fairly nearby a group of palm trees.

Triston grins and cracks his knuckles. "All right, watch the expert. And watch your head." He shimmies right up the coconut tree and shakes the top, and several coconuts break free and hit the ground with a thud. Then he hops back to the ground and gathers several coconuts. "Now we just bring them back to Tide and have him open them. I think that should be enough snacks for now." He shades his eyes and glances up as the sky begins to turn grey. ". . . Huh. Might rain soon. We should probably get the dragons away from the river; the sides turn really muddy and slippery when it rains."

"They're bugs but they taste like honey? Hm..."he never thought he would actually be curious about trying bugs. But Triston was admittedly getting him to be a bit curious to try them. "I hope there's some strawberries!" he eagerly moved through the forest until they reached a patch of them. Seeing the red fruit he immediately beelined for the bushes, happily starting to pick some while the other got the coconuts. "Good thing he can open those us," he laughed looking up to the sky when he mentioned it. "Hm...yeah we should start heading back, maybe find the river from here and walk up til we find them," he waited for Triston before they started walking. They found the river fast and it wasn't long before it started to rain. Lambi felt a bit nervous as he was closer to the river than he wanted to be but he figured he should be fine..