Helswane Isle

The Hobgoblin yelled as his side was pierced. He knew he was outnumbered. He swung his longsword with all his strength and hit Jace's shoulderpad, succeeding only in unbalancing him. And as this happened the two Orcs by the alcove wall hurled their javelins. One clattered at the feet of Garrick, while the second hurtled towards Addison before skewing aside at the last moment, flung by his protection magic.

Above them, the climber Orc finally got over his surprise and resumed scaling. He got to the ledge where the Hippogriff's nest was and grabbed the precious egg in both hands, squawking victoriously.

Nearby, the crossbow Orc let loose a bolt that glanced off Darius's hip. The shot was a panicked one,
and the greenskin had only a half-second to snarl before the Paladin came barrelling into him with a ferocious swing of his warhammer. It caught him square on the jaw and threw his head to one side, snapping the neck and caving the skull. The Orc crashed down and Darius trampled him into the rocks.

"COME ON!" Darius yelled at the rest of Orcs. The bloodlust was upon him.

Jace had turned to strike again at the Hobgoblin, when the blow to his shoulder threw him off, instead of landing an attack, Jace stumbled several steps to the side, instead regaining his ground and snarled as he brandished his blade in preparation for the next attack. "Someone keep an eye on that Orc with the egg!" he yelled to the rest, determined to put down the Hobgoblin on his next turn and join the pursuit himself.

I made my way to Jace's side, and followed my movements through with a vertical slash, splitting the hobgoblin's chest right open. A spray of blood spurt out in a wild fashion as I gritted my teeth, glaring at the orcs. Darius' battle cry got my spirits charged, must be the dwarf in me, and I readied my footing to make a mad dash towards the other green skins! [11 damage to Hobgoblin, death]

Addison watched in awe as he was not able to see the open chest cavity of the hobgoblin. Nice going, beard. With the battle seemingly going into their favor, he decided to hang back and attempt to secure the egg. Looking at the orc stoically, he raised at hand to cast a second spell.

"Drop!" Addison declared

[Casts Command]

[size=+1]The hobgoblin dies in a spray of blood and gore as I snap a new bolt into my crossbow, taking aim at one of the remaining orcs at our level.

Dropping to one knee for further shot stability, I let fly with the bolt. It sails past my warring comrades and punches into my target, embedding itself through the creature's eye [6 Damage to Orc, Death]. The orc doesn't even have time to scream before he's dead, crumpling to the earth and leaving his comrades startled and one ally down.

"Now that, friends," I yell over the fighting as I move to reload, "is a good fucking shot!"[/size]

The remaining Orcs saw their leader and two comrades slaughtered in the space of seconds. Their nerve broke. The one on the ground turned and fled for the northern alley, leaving his pack behind, and the one on the rockface tucked the Hippogriff egg under his arm and began climbing. He was too frightened to heed Addison's command and shook off the magic as he pulled himself up. There was about forty feet of wall left. If he got up and over, he would be safe.

"Don't let them escape!" Darius shouted. He began a second charge, veering towards the first fleeing Orc and coming in behind him. His warhammer lashed out to catch the back of the greenskin's head, but at that moment his boot collided with a rock. The paladin fell, rolling against the alcove wall, and the Orc ran onwards, into the northern alley between the rocks.

"Garrick... take him dow--"

"...UUAAAAUUUGH!"

The cry was sudden and blood-curling. The party looked up to see the climber Orc convulse, his head tip back to scream. There was a sound of breaking bone, of pierced organs and then... in a single stroke... the Orc was pulled into one of the holes on the rock face. And all that followed was the sound of his screams as he was dragged into the darkness. [17 damage to Orc - DEATH]

The egg had rolled from its arms and landed on a small ledge near the hole, half in shadow.

[size=+1]We've routed them; the bastards are running for the hills.

Or to be more specific, just one bastard is running; the other is climbing for the aforementioned hills, and the rest won't be doing much of anything ever again. I hear Darius begin to bellow at me to shoot the runner, only for him to be interrupted by a scream that truly chills the blood.

The climber is no longer climbing; he's suddenly become lunch for some unseen beastie that hauls him into one of the holes on the rock face. Cursing, I dart forwards and reload, taking aim at the final Orc. It's a rapidly diminishing target, but I find my mark none-the-less; there's an audible scream of pain that blasts from the monster as the bolt pierces his leg [2 Damage to Orc].

It'll slow the fucker down, if nothing else. Maybe give me time for another shot.[/size]

Knowing that there was no way I could possibly catch up the fleeing orc, I ran as fast as I could, but there was no way I could possibly catch up the greenskin. With a huff, I sighed and wiped my brow.

"Damn it! Guess that mean's they'll be bringing more, eh?"
I looked up at the egg and back at the packs that were left behind.

"We haven't seemed to come out of this empty handed, though. If there was only an easy way to get that egg..."
I scratched my head looking towards the treasure resting near a ferocious beastie's home.

Jace had started running the second the hobgoblin fell, openly charging against the nearest orc. Garricks arrow whizzed past through the air, embedding itself into the orcs leg, making it even easier to catch. With a jump and a quick slice, Jace had rended the flesh across the wounded orc's chest, a final cry hushed by the gurgling blood between his lips.

[5 Damage to Orc, Death]

"Hey gang, look who can use a sword today! Heironeous be praised!" Jace called back to them, flashing the bloody blade with an eager wave in the air before turning his sight back to the very ominous cave.

Almost all of the baddies were taken down. There was one last creature with in the dark that Addison had been looking for since it made it's presence known. He stared the dark down hoping to see something. The egg would mean nothing if they weren't going to be alive to sell it so he prayed to Pelor that his eyes would not fail him.

[Rolled Spot Check: 17, total of 19]

Darius drew up beside Addison, raising his shield. It caught the midday sun and Darius tilted until the beam splashed across the crevice where the goblin had been snared. There was a slight shift amongst the rocky texture, a tentacle coming away then resettling. As the party looked closer they discerned the outline of the creature.

"It's a Grick." Mallow said, his darkvision astute. "Rock scavenger. Fond of ambushes."

The four-tentacled lurker blended back with the crevice, partially concealed. It was five foot from the Hippogriff egg, which lay on its side on the ledge. Obviously there had been two of them, and the first had now departed to drag the goblin back to its feeding hole. The second simply waited, hoping for similar luck.

"Reckon you can hit that, Garrick?" Darius asked as he squinted up at the ledge.

[size=+1]"Reckon you can hit that, Garrick?"

I squint at the creature, concealed amidst the rocky crevices, gauging the shot. Bastard thing's camouflage makes it hard to get a lock upon, but if I size the shot up right I might just be able to get a hit in.

"It's not the toughest shot I've made, but fuck me if it doesn't rank up there," I observe, my eyes still narrowed as I assess my odds. "Still, gives me a chance to bust the javelin out again, I suppose. And hopefully this thing won't even throw it back at me. It strikes me more as the 'savage with tentacles' kind of gribbly abomination."

Kneeling down, I unsling my backpack and withdraw the intricately-crafted javelin. "You always take us to such nice places, Darius," I say with a chuckle. I take a step forwards and pull my throwing arm back, before sending the weapon hurtling at the concealed target.

My aim is on top form today; the javelin sails through the air and crashes into the Grick, which let's out a disturbing hiss [1 Damage to Grick, 8HP Remains].

"Guess I can hit that after all!"[/size]

The Grick erupted from its camouflage as the javelin struck. In a mass of teeth and tentacles it surged forward, threatened and ferocious. It plunged from the rockface, leaping down into the alcove, and Darius had to hurl himself aside as the rubbery creature landed. [4 damage - 4HP remaining]

And as it uncoiled and prepared ito attack, the egg fell after it. It had been dislodged by the Grick, and was falling fast.

One person below would have one chance to catch it. [One character may attempt to catch the egg - Reflex DC15]

At seeing the Grick, at first Jace only grimaced, his sword still clutched in hand. At Mallows insight though, Jace remembered from folk lore that these were wicked beasts. Many a time he had done prayer for bodies recovered from the lairs of such dreadful monsters, and even once a man who had escaped and lived to tell his tale. It was from that mans experience that Jace had an idea of what need be done.

Quickly kneeling, he plunged his sword into the ground infront of him, grabbing a large stone with the free hand. Quickly he muttered under his breath, clutching the stone against his chest, specifically to the lightning bolt hanging from his neck. "Grant me a weapon from the earth, as mine can not touch this beast. Bless these stones, may they slay in the name of those you to whom you bequeath them."

Pulling away from his neck, the stone had become three, looking entirely ordinary except for a small glimmer that ran over them. Standing, his quickly tossed one stone to the two closest members of the party to the Grick. The quizzical looks on their face were almost priceless, though the ever present snarl of the Grick had ruined that moment. "Shut up and aim for the head!" he yelled over the beasts roars.

[Magic Stones, 1d6+1 damage a piece, 20 ft range]

[size=+1]The creature comes rushing from cover, drawn out by my attack. As my companions rush to face it my eyes fall upon movement above us; the egg, dislodged by the Grick, is about to coming crashing down to our level.

I don't know how tough such eggs are, but I'd wager such a fall isn't good for it.

Darting forwards, I attempt to dodge past the Grick and reach the egg before it hits the earth. And for a moment it looks as though I've pulled off this feat; slipping over the rocks and past the monster I prepare to make a jump for it. [13 to Reflex Test; failed]

That is, of course, when the Grick's waving tail trips me just before I leap.

I almost recover from the set-back, but it's too late; I'm sent sprawling into the dirt, just a couple feet away from where the egg will land.
"Aww, shite!"[/size]

The egg shattered on the rocks, spraying Garrick with albumen, vitellus and membrane. But none gave pause to this tragedy. Darius, realising Jace's intent, dropped his mace and took the magic stone, hurling it at the flailing Grick. But the pebble struck the ground before the beast and simply exploded, like embers from a fire.

"Shit!"

Addison had sat there too long for his liking. A certain egg was a bust, but they still have the creature to take down. Gripping his mace, Pelor's follower made a charge. Maybe this time he could down the creature again. It was unlikely but, he had to try something. He takes a swing and completely, naturally fails. Stumbling past the grick, his armor makes a clanking noise he hits the floor.

"Pelor's ass!"

[Attacked Grick - Rolled Nat 1]

It was like slow motion. I watched as our dexterous friend Garrick attempted to save the egg, but sadly fail. I snarled at the beast as the egg shattered. It was the grick's fault, after all. A treasure lost on this already near fruitless journey...The thought or returning home nearly empty handed rattled my very being. I would not return empty handed yet again. This expedition was a good idea and I have to find something!

I rolled my shoulders and cracked my neck as I planted my feet firmly on the ground, ready to punish this beast. I grabbed one of Jace's stones and held it tightly in my hands. I noticed our new friend, Addison, stumble as he tried to hit the beast. This was not good, now on the ground the grick would have a field day with him, thrashing him until it was able to carry him away.

"No ye don't!" I yelled, every muscle and tendon in my arm tightened and moved, causing me the magical chunk of earth to hurl forth towards the nasty grick. the stone flew swiftly through the air and right towards the grick, or so it seemed. The grick made one quick motion and dodged the rock completely, rendering my efforts completely useless.

"Bastard..." I said angrily as I wiped my brow. This grick needed to die for destroying that treasure.

Having recovered from its drop, the Grick whirled between the sparks of the magic stones. It went straight for the one who had come closest - the one who had made the error of attempting melee combat and fallen within its reach. All four of its tentacles lashed out at the stumbling Cleric Addison, two of them snagging his legs. Luckily the mouth was too far away to bite the man, but the ridged tendrils did their damage regardless, ripping through Addison's flesh. [7 damage]

Darius rushed in, pulling Addison clear with one hand and turning square with the monster. "STAY DOWN, YOU BITCH!" he roared before leaping onto the Grick. The full weight of his body, armour and shield crashed down on top of the creature, pinning its leathery body. Darius's got his other gauntlet free and gripped one of the tentacles, twisting it in an arm lock.

Man and monster grappled, thrashing across the rocky floor. [Grick grappling: -2 to AC]

Heaving a sigh, Jace didn't feel up to taking much more chances. The grick was proving to be as tough as the tales, and the tendrils ripping at Addison only served to fuel what he knew was an increasingly bad idea. Despite the warning, he picked up his pace and sprinted at the Grick, arriving just in time to see it kneel. Holding the stone firmly in hand, he lunged at the beasts head and forced his arm down the beasts orifice. With a jerk, he removed his arm and tapped Darius on the shoulder, breaking the hold and dragging him of the Grick. He opened his hand, which was now empty.

"GODS BE PRAISED." The Grick erupted from the inside out, small holes of white light burning through the beasts skin just before it lost it's form, covering the surrounding area with a sludge of decomposing Grick and partially digested Orc. [7 Damage to Grick, Death]