Helswane Dungeon

Davion, aren't Silence and Enthral level 2 spells?

Yeah, 'Silence' and 'Enthrall' are level 2 Cleric spells, so we'll get them around level 3. Or someone will, since Lindon is multiclassing.

Okay, so we'll say that Davion has cracked under the pressure and started gibbering insanely.

GRUMPY! GET IN HERE AND PLAN WITH US!

Silence and Enthrall are level 2 spells, but my wisdom score lets me get 1 level 2 a day...

Oh snap, I never knew that, probably because I usually play martial classes. That's cool, Bonus Spells ftw!

Me either, I learned it when I created my character.

Edit: Offline until ~8:00 EST

Yeah, but next to that it says "a spellcaster must be of high enough class level to be able to cast spells of a given spell level."

:/

I'll wait for Frost to confirm that, but I'm pretty sure a level 1 character can't cast level 2 spells, even if they are a bonus to his ability score.

I should not attempt to help plan schemes when I am shit-faced.

Roight, Garrick's best move would probably be shooting the lone goblin with his crossbow. He's in range of a Sneak Attack, so I can hopefully inflict a fuckton of damage and get him completely out of the way before he can do anything.

Thoughts?

It's true, a spellcaster doesn't get the bonus 'spell slots' to spells until they actually gain the ability to cast that level of spells in the first place.
This is mostly for balance reasons - and a good thing, too. A skilled min-maxer coul end up with a spellcasting stat of 20 or so, which could lead to a 'Train Wrecker' character - ripping the DM's encounters and story right off those finely-crafted railroad tracks.

Though it is possible for a level 1 arcane caster to cast a single level 1 spell per day with a feat that's in 'Complete Arcane', that's not availible to us because we're completely core. It has no bearing on the conversation, just something cool I'm adding in.

ADDED NOTE: I am in favor of "Plan: Overwhelming Force", which includes a Garrick-brand Sneak Attack (tm).

So we're gonna stand back and shoot them, in the hopes that we kill them before they get lever-happy and fuck up our way across?

Nah, "Group A, Codename: Heavenly Justice" - consisting of Darius, Mallow, and Jace - will charge forth to the group of three goblins to engage them in melee. Since you will be attacking them from behind, they will not get attacks of opportunity... however, if they attempt to move to the levers, YOU will get attacks of opportunity, giving extra chances to obliterate their group.

"Group B, Codename: Bullet Hell", - consisting of Garrick and Lindon, will fire at the lone goblin in hopes of getting it before it pulls a lever, focusing entirely on it.

If all goes well, the goblins will be so much red-colored mush in a round that their appearant tactics/trap won't be effective.

But we wouldn't be able to charge unless it's a straight line. And a normal move wouldn't get us close enough.

:/

Ah okay, that makes sense. Though for a +2 modifier it didn't seem that broken to get one level 2 a day x.x

In this case, 'charge' meant moving forward, not the actual combat action, Asmo.

If the normal move won't get us close enough... I dunno. Jump into the water and pray that whatever's in there is nicer than the goblins, because we don't have any other option?

Attempting to charge the goblins seems like the better option, the worst we can do is have to deal with whatever is in the water as well, rather than volunteer for it by jumping in and alerting the goblins immediately as we do so.

Attempt to sneak most of the distance and get control of the levers before combat breaks out still seems like the best option. For all we know, Garrick could have control of the platforms with the less-guarded one if he alone went too x.x

Okay. I'll need a decision before the end of today, before the goblins turn around.

Yeah...being a stubby dwarf, I definitely can't make it to the goblins in one turn : \

Would it be possible to summon a creature to engage them in combat so that if they tried to grab a lever, it would get an attack of opportunity?

We've got to close the distance to them as soon as we can before they start fannying about with the levers, really.

You guys could try sneaking if we really need to. It might just get you close enough, and even if it doesn't it might get you in range to charge their asses and murder the lot of them.

I still like the idea of Lindon and Garrick holding back and ranged-murdering the lone goblin. That way we remove that threat quickly and then we can turn our attention to the rest of the enemies.