Help with discussing a statement for my education?

O

Ondra

Original poster
Hello everyone.

I haven't been the most active in the discussion area here, or in any other part besides one-on-one roleplays honestly. But I've just started a new education, and came upon a statement in a book that I'd like to challenge.

I was wondering if any of you were up for that?

I'll post the statement if I get at least ten people who are interested. Less than that and I can't use the answers to a whole lot of analysis. If you are okay with this, I'd love to know your age (if you are comfortable with giving it out, just in a PM is fine), as it might have an impact in how you see the statement.

I hope some of you are interested here, and if you are, you can just post in the comments. When we reach the tenth person, I'll post the statemtent here in an edited version of this message, and then we'll take it from there.

Hope to hear from some of you!

Kind Regards:

Ondra.

Reactions: Diana
I'm always down for helping with people's education! Ò◇Ó

Reactions: Ondra
Sure thing, I'll help!

I'm always down for helping with people's education! Ò◇Ó

Thank you very much! I'm studying "Anthropology of Education And Globalisation". I realised I didn't mention what I was studying hehe.

Reactions: Astaroth
Sure. Make sure to tag me when it goes down.

I'd be willing to help

I'm down, let's do this.

• Thank You
Reactions: Astaroth
I'd love to hear the statement. i'm generally not real happy with book of this nature, so I'm curious to see what you've come across.

I'll be guinea pig #7.

Count me as number eight! :D

• Love
Number nine owo

Hello everyone!
I'll post the question tomorrow, just letting you all know that I have not forgotten about it, just got a lot of reading sprung onto me from my teachers, so I'm trying to catch up on that!

Tomorrow evening (well, my evening) I'll post the statement and tag you all in it. Thank you all so much for your interest!

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Astaroth and Applo
Thank you everyone again for participating in this. I'm looking very much forward to hearing what you guys have to say about this. I'll be giving my own opinion as well once I've heard yours. :)

The book states:

"Today, schools have become the most dominant and pervasive institutional format for learning. Throughout the world, schools have come to form part of our common sense, the normal way of "growing up modern" and learning."

So my question now is: Do you agree with the statement that it's common sense that attending school is the way we grow up and learn (in all the learning sense that you can think of)?

I'm studying anthropology, so I'm not looking for a specific answer here, the whole thing with anthropology (to my frustration) is that there's no end result in anything, but it's still interesting to hear from you guys. If you got clarifying questions, I'll be more than happy to oblige. I'd really appreciate it if you could give a few sentences of answering here. (But no pressure to do that though). Thanks again so much!

@Diana @Astaroth @Aero Blue @Moon Rocks @fatalrendezvous @PoetLore @LuckycoolHawk9 @Nemopedia @Kat @Applo

"Today, schools have become the most dominant and pervasive institutional format for learning. Throughout the world, schools have come to form part of our common sense, the normal way of "growing up modern" and learning."

So my question now is: Do you agree with the statement that it's common sense that attending school is the way we grow up and learn (in all the learning sense that you can think of)?
My reading of the quote doesn't appear to be the same as your reading of the quote. Your question is "do you agree that it's common sense that attending school is the way we grow up and learn" but the quote is saying something different. It's saying that schools have come to form part of our common sense, which is not the same thing.

The quoted sentence on its own, I agree with. But I just want to make sure I'm understanding your question. Which part of the quote are you asking us to comment on?

@fatalrendezvous oh damn, sorry! I forgot I rephrased it! But it is the quoted one here that I meant. So sorry for that.

So yes, commenting on this statement:

My head is a bit busted from university today.

So yeah, with the common sense thing added to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the hopeful assumption that no onus is on me to provide any particularly high falutin contribution to the discourse, here goes:

I agree, even if I can only judge based off of the cultures that I have lived among (Canadian, American, Chinese). There is a heavy element of socioeconomic thresholds attached to school that make this the case. So, so, so many jobs require diplomas (of higher education, frankly) before they will even consider vetting you; in turn, reaching certain income levels is, except in extraordinary cases, hugely tied towards attendance of school. There's also the negative connotations of words like 'drop-out' in our day-to-day social discourse that contributes to the pervasive stature of 'school'.

By design, as well, schools (this refers specifically to the postgraduate level) are hubs of research, research money, and gifted authorities of a plethora of subjects. For many fields, it is hard to deny that school is the best (at least, the most convenient... if we're not talking expenses) medium of knowledge.

Obviously, none of these are fresh observations, but I think they generally hold in 2019.

There is an argument as to whether it's obvious that, when members of society view it in a context of upward mobility and success, it is common sense for people to view school as the quintessential facility of learning, or if school is viewed more as a barrier to be crossed in a perfunctory manner, where attendance and completion is entirely more important than the actual learning. (see: any number of cases where people pay to leverage themselves into degrees from 'brand-name' schools)

When I was fresh out of high school (1980), there were no real alternatives to public of the scattered parochial schools. Now however, there are masses of home schooling families, and those who choose Online education for the children. Many times these student far outperform traditionally educated children. It's becoming increasingly easy to obtain and education without having to actually attend a formal brick and mortar school.

As for common sense? I wish I could say I see a lot of common sense coming out of the traditional school system, but I don't. Now, I will allow that other countries have different standards and methods than here in the US, so I can only comment from my personal experiences.