Hello Neighbor (IC)

Azalea Solom

Henry doesn't seem to be enjoying himself! I should go loosen him up, perhaps? I do not know what to do with that silly billy! He works himself up so easily, and I suppose I don't blame him, but he really needs to learn how to have some fun! That permascowl is always so off putting...He'll never get girls to look that way with the brooding, constant constipation demeanor. No! No way...Oh, oh dear...oh my GOD!! This is the best puppy! Oh, her ears are so freaking floofy! Floopy? Doopy? Lovable? Yes. All four and so so much more. I feel bad for scaring off his skittish friend but...oh my goodness that fur...I wanna snuggle up to this good girl for centuries to come. I hope she gets cuddles. Oh, oh my goodness this is the best girl I ever did meet...

"What's shakin' over here?" A soft, familiar voice broke Azalea's over run thoughts, shattering any hope for getting lost in the soft comfort of the animal before her. However, a bright grin painted along her darkened lips, splitting her demeanor into that of an ecstatic hooligan whose only desire was to spread the emotion. She pressed her chin into the animal's head, tucking the dog's ears safely between her fingers as she massaged the dog's cranium.

"yes! Zal be my name good man!" She exclaimed joyously, taking a break from the lovefest to face the man in question. Had she been in front of any other man without the comfort of her Ami, she would have most likely froze and gone into a stage of stammering, furious apologies, and a desperate bolt for the exit. But she had met this kind man before! And Poppy, the flowery little ray of sunshine was here too. Wondrous occasion to see such warm and friendly faces. It filled Azalea's chest with a roaring fire that flickered on pleasantly against her diaphragm. "Navi? As in Zelda?" She stuck out her tongue between her teeth, the gentle pink clashing ridiculously with the dark maroon against her lips. Her demeanor was once more torn apart by a pleasant grin. "Nerd! But it is so fitting for this lovely angel."

Once again, a wonderful voice broke her trance from the gentle pooch. Smores. Oh! Lord, she hadn't had one since she was a little child! Ami was never into major sweets, but would make the exception everyone in a while for Zal, who he still referred to as his little brat. "Let's go try and find some s'mores before it starts? Who in their right mind would throw a party with fireworks and food without s'mores? It is pure, unadulterated blasphemy I say! besides, it would give us a chance for an adventure." Her head perked up, much like the energetic dog she had the pleasure to demonstrate her affection to. "Besides...I do have an intense craving for chocolate at the moment...and I dont want anyone to get hurt over it."

That was a good execution of a joke, right? I think I nailed it...Oh God Ami...thank goodness you aren't here or you'd blast me for being a dork. What a dink and a half.

• Love
Reactions: Mobley Eats
Bay Christiansen | Interactions: Peggy | Location: Jerry's Yard to Phil's Yard

b48e75b1e279a723c4a1c561dcd54061.jpg

"Hooooobey Dobey!" Peggy breathed, absolute content rolling off her in waves thicker than ancient molasses. A happy little jitter seized control of her body before stealing another bite of her perfectly grilled burger. There was no need or desire to find out what strange concoction of condiments she had shoved under the bun and Bay had every intention to keep it a mystery. Regardless of her suspicious looking burger, the quiet blonde couldn't help but hum her agreement, her own burger setting her taste buds alight.

"Jerry's burgers… They're awesome," Bay muttered. Then, she fell silent and quirked a curious eyebrow at Peggy. "...Hobey Dobey?" Who were either of these people? Or was it just one person who apparently had parents with a sadistic naming process.

"Uh, hello!" Peggy swallowed back a (worryingly) large gulp of beef before gaping at Bay in disbelief. "Hobey Dobey! You knooooow, Sifu Bayou! Our gracious Lards and Shavers? Cleaned chin messiahs? They practically perished under the harmful rays of Lady Sun's wraith to spare our fates!"

SpottedMilkyGavial-max-1mb.gif

Bay stared.

Peggy stared back. "...You've never went to Sunday School, huh?" She clicked her tongue. "Shame, shame. All of the shame,"

"Just strip me of the Sifu title right now," Bay chuckled.

However, her friend seemed to hold opposite views. Like the crack of a whip, her gaze snapped up from the burger to Bay, eyes wide in shock. She slapped a hand over her heart (it was on the wrong side of her chest, actually) and said, "Oi--Oi! None of that blasphemy talk! There's only one Sifu Bayou around here and I'm talking right through--"

"At?"

"At her!" Peggy huffed indignantly. "So--there! Take it or leave it, Bub!"

"Eh…" Bay's head tilted side to side, expression conflicted. "Not sure if I'm sold on buying."

Another wordless moment, the noise of children's laughter and rambunctious yapping paling in the presence of their stare-off. Muscles taught. Imaginations dawning them head to toe in the painfully stereotypical cowboy attires and rolling the customary tumbleweed past their feet. Cue the classic whistling.

Finally, Peggy broke. "Fine. At a discount."

Bay's eyes narrowed. "Which entail?"

"A body squish?"

A smile pulled at the blonde's lips. Instantly relaxing, she sat their burgers aside and opened her arms. A famous Peggy Body Squish was always welcome. Without preamble, the eccentric woman crashed into her and enveloped her into what could've been mistaken for an NFL tackle. However, Bay was prepared for it and caught her in the tight embrace without any hassle. The pair giggled, one a reserved whisper in comparison to the harking sounds escaping Peggy--with snorts in the mix, of course.

Something fell.

Bay heard it before she saw it--because she didn't bother looking at all. It didn't matter. This was a huge block party. Plenty of things were bound to topple over and make a mess at some point; she'd be surprised to come out of this fiasco clean--

"Wow! Bill, where'd you get this??" A woman, average height and curvy build, and sporting brunette locks pulled into a sloppy bun, had her back facing Peggy and Bay as she addressed her husband.

Bill, who was still lounging in that same lawn chair, winked cheekily at her before pressing a finger to his lips and nodding towards Phil. "Phil's got some new recipe or something. It's damn good. Might get myself another soon," he said, eyes already straying hungrily to steam billowing from Phil's grill. A dry laugh escaped him as he continued sarcastically, "Don't go letting Jerry hear that, Veil. He'll get jealous real quick."

"He can throw a fit all he wants," Veil said, nose upturned rebelliously, "I'm not letting everyone miss out on this. Hey! Odessa! Odessa! Girl, you've got to try some of Phil's…"

Her voice was swallowed up along with the rest of her by the bustling crowd. It had only been a few moments, just a few, but Bay and Peggy were floored to witness word travel so quickly. Before they could blink, talk of Phil's burgers had filled nearly the entirety of Jerry's lawn and slowly, perhaps even sneakily (which wasn't much), party goers meandered their way to the other lawn.

To the better burgers.

Peggy's excitement couldn't be measured. "Better than Jerry's?? Oh. We. Are. Going. To. Diversify. Our. Oral. Muscles!"

Bay cringed. "The words… The combination of words. We've talked about this."

"Talk later oral muscles now."

Bay was all but dragged to Phil's lawn.

---

Back at where Bay and Peggy stood mere moments ago, a male approached. He stopped. Said nothing. Fell stiller than a pocket absent of time and matter. As empty as the void itself. Then, slowly, he bent down and picked up two burgers that had splattered messily across the grass. He wrapped them up in napkins, faint tremors coursing through his sweaty hands.

Eyes distant, Jerry discarded the burgers.

He stared at the massive gathering of people in Phil's lawn.

The lack of people in his own…

Swallowing thickly, he slipped off his "Kiss the Chef" apron and dropped it carelessly, circling around his house and into the backyard.

• OMG
Reactions: Iceydaze
Olivia "Oli" Greene

Olivia had arrived much later than expected. As she approached the gathering, she couldn't help but take another peek at her phone, hoping for a certain person's reply. Any reply would have done. It had been a week since she had invited Dan to join her. He had an entire week to reject her invitation. It wasn't like she was forcing him to attend the little cookout and see how she was doing, maybe even meet her friends. At this point she didn't even expect a call. A simple, "No thanks." or "I'm busy." would have sufficed. At least then, her eyes wouldn't drift around, looking for that tall familiar figure every so often.

However, after refreshing the messages over and over, no new messages appeared. The reality she always faced was a silence too cold for words. An exasperated sigh left her parted lips as she begrudgingly stuffed her cell phone back into her coat pocket. It's fine. He's always been a bit of a workaholic. Convincing herself of this, she tucked her coat around her, grateful for the protection it provided from the fall's bitter chill.

Laughter drew her attention towards the crowd. Even from afar, she could see children frolicking about, playing a game no adult could fully comprehend. A gentle smile tugged at her lips at the sight of their dimpled smiles. Uplifted by their vibrant nature, Olivia buried her troubles and maneuvered her way into the crowd, greeting familiar faces along the way. A hug here, a handshake there. Oh how she loved the people in this small town. Even if they were the kind to stab you in the back and hand out backhanded compliments, there was almost always a smile on their faces, making it much easier to force her own.

Hearing a commotion about burgers that she NEEDED to try, Olivia weaved through the crowd, following the alluring scent wafting through the air and approached the range. The sight of an all too familiar fluffy white tail wagging from side to side caught her attention. Not far off, Simeon stood in line, presumably victim to every dog's secret weapon. A warm chuckle bubbled up as she made her way over. "Don't tell me Navi got you already, Sim." She spoke in jest before turning her attention to the aforementioned pooch. "Not that I blame you. Very few can resist her charms. She's such a smart girl." Her voice took on a silly tone as she cooed and ruffled Navi's soft fur, praising her to the moon and back.

It was only at the mention of s'mores that she finally became aware of the other two ladies near by. Their faces looked familiar. She was sure she had to have seen them around somewhere. However, Olivia couldn't recall their names. S'mores do sound really good right now. Oh how she wished to go with them in search of something sweet and savory. However, she also felt she was too old to go on a wild goose hunt for chocolate with these lovely ladies whose identities were unclear to her. A helpless smile in greeting was all she could bring herself to give them, the urge to sing a tune from 'Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory' too strong to do so much as say hello. She worried that if she actually struck a conversation, she would end up following them to chocolate she really didn't need in her life.

"God, those burgers smell good." Reminding herself of her original goal, she reluctantly pulled her train of thought away from the sweet temptation of s'mores and turned her attention back to Simeon. "I'm famished. Have you tried one yet?"

Mentions:
Simeon & Navi @Elle Joyner

Anton Halverson | Interactions: Sage @Elle Joyner | Location: Bench

tenor.gif

The faintest sigh of relief escaped Anton as Sage rolled with the punches, not even batting an eyelash at his socializing failures. Paranoia still gnawed at his skull, but at least it wasn't as intense as before. Shoulders and jaw visibly relaxing, he merely grunted with a nod. "There could be wisdom found in that. Killing a spider and threatening old ladies, I mean. There's a circle of life lesson stuck in there somewhere..."

A small smirk tugged at the corner of his lips. "Elisage..." He shrugged, eyes falling on the crowd. "I can work with that. Err, not saying that Sage is bad or any less appealing. Just... Yeah. I can work with Elisage." It was something that had always stuck with Anton. He understood fully well that people designated themselves with nicknames for a reason but... He just preferred it this way.

However, he looked down curiously at Elisage's phone and just caught the sight of "Mom" before she declined the call. Ah. Another border that he probably shouldn't cross. Not with a stranger he'd just met. "Not feeling extra chatty with some people?" And yet, he had opened his big mouth anyways. Regret coiled about him the moment those words escaped, his jaw clenching once more. Hoping to bulldoze past his mistake, he quickly added, "Yeah. Uh, I mean no. Party's aren't my thing at all. Sister just kinda dragged me out there to..." He raised two fingers to form air quotes. "Make some friends."

Another chilly breeze sliced through the musk and heat of party goers. Anton couldn't tell if he was grateful or annoyed. Probably both. Always both. His attention landed on Elisage's brace again, growing thoughtful, maybe even curious. He wasn't terribly familiar with the issues of having a brace or poorly constructed cyborg parts, but he figured the cold would do her no good. Steel. Cold steel inside your leg, surrounding by cool weather... It had to suck. A lot. "Uh... here." Awkwardly, Anton stood and shed off his over-sized black sweater; he wore a white t-shirt underneath, but the cold never really bothered him to begin with.

He knelt down in front of Elisage and brought the sweater around her brace, tying it very gently but tightly enough to make sure it wouldn't fall off. It probably looked damn ridiculous, but this was all he could think of. He looked up at her, using every iota of will power not to let the embarrassment show through in his pale face. "If it's too damn goofy looking, just say so. Don't know if this helps or not..."

• Sweet
Poppy Haberson
fc613a99cf7b3bc2aa4111a30a080496.jpg

Bending down to give Navi a greeting head scratch, Poppy cooed excitedly, shooting Azalea a big grin before facing Simeon again. With an exaggerated sigh, she shot him a disappointed look. "Figures. No one around here really has any taste. I'll have to handle the s'mores myself. The fireworks though, definitely pumped for that, hell yeah!" She gave Navi another smooch, before Zal's words lit an excited sparkle in Poppy's eyes.

"Um, yes! Finally someone gets it!" Poppy squealed, jumping excitedly before Zal and clapping her hands together. "Who in their right mind would throw a party without smores. Absolutely." She echoed with a snort, grabbing Zal's wrist and tugging her forth. "Hey, Sim, oh oh oh, hi Liv! We'll bring you some. Hey, Zal, you like root beer floats?"

Poppy blabbed the whole way through, and even though she had only just arrived at the party, this seemed like a much more fun opportunity to her. S'mores were much more of a party. All they had to do was be back before curfew, and hell, why not drag it out. A drink with friends was nothing to rush past, especially not when it involved root beer floats. "We'll do floats first, then go get s'more ingredients, oh! If I don't eat half the bag of marshmallows by then, we'll make everybody s'mores over the fire. With the fireworks, damn, it'll be like the fourth of July up in here. Hey, Zal, is it okay that I pulled ya away from the party? Hope that's what you wanted. I mean, if it's not, you could totally go back, but… you might get less s'mores!"

FIRE HOUR

Time - 9:45 PM | Location - Moss Creek Block Party

firework-Uu6msp.gif

"Fire Hour's rolling around!"

"Fire Hour!"

"Don't forget the rockets!"

"Poppers too?"

"Of course the Poppers--"

"Fire Hour! Fire Hour!"

"Fuck yeah! I've been waiting all night for this!"

Cries of Fire Hour traveled through Moss Creek like rings of a rippling ocean. Although excitement had been the pinnacle of everyone's state mere minutes ago, the anticipation buzzing about reached a level unmatched. Tradition was afoot. Formations were in progress.

The Moss Creek Fire Hour was amiss.

It was a simple custom, but one that Moss Creek had carried every year since its establishment in 1989. Each and every front yard of veteran residents, rolling carts full of firecrackers and rocket launchers and gas bombs and mini poppers, all the way up to the edge of the sidewalk, prepare themselves for the ultimate countdown. As soon as the long hand struck 10…

Fiery masterpiece painted onto an inky black canvas.

9:45 PM

---

Odessa cut through the crowd filling Phil's lawn, laying a hand upon the man's shoulder. "Phil? Where's Jerry? I've done lost sight of that man," she said, the tiniest hint of concern etched across her features.

Phil blinked away a particular aggressive plume of smoke from the grill, shooting his friend a curious look. "Not near his grill? Jerry was basically born with the damn thing attached to his hip…"

Odessa shook her head. "Not the grill. Nowhere in his yard or Bill's. I don't know if he went off to get more gasoline or not, but usually he'd let us know first…" She had noticed the container missing from under Jerry's grill, and he was notorious for wasting away the substance on community bonfires, but she could've sworn that was a freshly bought canister.

Phil heaved a sigh while yanking off his cap, scratching the top of his hair. His lips pursed in thought. "...Screw it. I'll go look for 'em. He couldn't have gone off too far. Odessa, cool this off for me?" Odessa nodded; she had her fair share of grilling experience, thanks to her own father. Cleaning off the rack and cooling down the grill pit wouldn't be an issue for her.

"I can do that. Just go find that loudmouth bugger before I start worrying."

"You already are, damn softy," Phil teased while slapping his hat back on. Odessa merely scoffed and shooed him off in response, and the man scattered off with both hands raised playfully. Phil bounded into his own house to snag a beer--Hell, it wouldn't be a proper search party without some alcohol swimming through his body. Made him feel more patient that way.

Upon entering, Phil made a beeline straight for the kitchen and rummaged through his fridge, grumbling somewhat as he realized someone had taken the last slice of strawberry cheesecake. Goddammit! How would he satisfy his raging sweet tooth in the god awful hours of post midnight now?

Creeeeak…

A pause.

Phil freed his head of the fridge, eyes narrowing. The fuck was that? Slowly, he closed the icebox and followed the general direction the sound traveled from. Well, where he guessed it came from. His house was still fairly young, just like every home in Moss Creek, and Phil did a damn good job keeping his floorboards and appliances in mint condition. To hear a creak like that… He shouldn't have.

His feet lead him through a dimly hall connected to the back door.

Another creak.

Phil's brow furrowed.

The door was open, ever so slightly agape as it creaked with every gentle breeze.

"How the fu--"

Crack!

Darkness.

9:50 PM

---

Odessa smiled and chatted with her neighbors. And yet, her facade was brittle. Bound to fade. The concern started out as mere flickers to a flame; now, her vision and mind were bathed in a raging inferno. Jerry had yet to be found and she failed to hear anything from Phil.

So, her smile strengthened. She traded cheers and tapped cups with an easily forgettable face and name.

Everything would be okay.

9:55 PM

---

She lied to herself. There was something wrong. Odessa could feel it deep in her gut.

The woman had abandoned socializing, cup tossed away and bodies brushed aside, and headed towards Phil's house.

9: 57 PM

---

The scent of gasoline was heavy. Sharp. So much so that it made Jerry's nostrils and brain sting. His clothes felt awfully heavy and sticky, the liquid burning and agitating his body. Such a thing was never meant to touch skin, but what reason did he have to care?

Not many.

Jerry gently seated himself on Phil's couch, a grill lighter in hand, emptied canister cast aside onto the floor. His eyes fluttered shut, his head lowered until the lighter's barrel met his forehead, and muttering tumbled from his lips faster than the prayers of a zealot.

Chants from outside reverberated through the walls.

"Fire Hour! ...Fire Hour! ...Fire Hour!"

"Fire… hour…" Jerry laughed, borderline cackling. Manic. Broken. Energetic. Sad. Unstable. That smile remained--his one million watt grin that could disarm even the iciest of hearts. He made all the grouches melt with his kindness and cooking. His charisma. Everybody loved Jerry.

Everybody loved Jerry.

A flame flickered to life. He stared at the little fire, eyes wide and glazed over. "And they'll love nobody else--"

"Jerry! What're you doing?!"

His gaze snapped over to Odessa, who stood in the doorway with an expression of pure horror. Her nose scrunched up as soon as the scent struck her senses. "Is that… J-Jerry, put that down, now!"

Jerry waved the flame about, almost tauntingly. "I can't."

Odessa paled. Quickly, she shouted over her shoulder towards the unsuspecting party goers, "Help! Somebody come help! Please! He's lost his mind!"

9:59 PM

---

Odessa's screams resonated at the exact moment fireworks were launched from every single yard occupying the culdesac. Zooms and booms and explosions filled the air, sending pleasant vibrations through the ribs and feet of pedestrians. Brilliant hues and colors raced across the sky, dancing about like sparks of a vibrant and aggressive rainbow. Everyone abruptly stopped what they were doing to taken in the beautiful sight, gasps and exclamations of wonder emitting from them like a mass of white noise.

The chants climbed in volume.

"Fire Hour! Fire Hour! Fire Hour!"

10:00 PM

Tags: @Elle Joyner , @Iceydaze , @KatSea , @CloudyBlueDay

Henry "Ami" Solom

Ami didn't expect the young woman's to pop up from her quest of scavenging her food before her, an arrangement of sandwiches too small to even be considered as nourishment(or as Azalea would protest, Ami was a big piggy). He wasn't quite sure if it was amusement, relief or fear that coursed through his veins as her eyes met his, words escaping her swifter than Ami could begin to process them. No, she was in by no means an annoyance to the ears with her given speed, but Ami's eyes drooped in exhaustion as he attempted to pinpoint his attention. "I don't think you'd wanna fight me over food, I'd lose pretty quick." He promised with a thin smirk, brushing back a stray strand of hair from his eyes as he secured a sandwich between his fingers, raising it to take a nonchalant(if not gigantic) bite from it. Having swallowed it with a more merry tune to his form, despite the dull expression that continued to linger at the corners of his eyes, he mumbled.

"Er, yeah. I ain't gonna do that then, don't want to have to my stomach implode on itself. Or, explode? Ah, guess it doesn't matter." Sheepishly, he clamped one hand to the back of his neck as his brow pinched, pain flashing briefly at the intensity of his scowl. How Wicker ever found the compassion and sympathy to fuck you the world may never know. A chuckle threatened to escape him, his own self deprecation serving him well in his time of nipping social anxiety.

"Shilia. I...I do not think I have heard anyone else with that name. It's nice." He commented, assuming this was the appropriate thing to attest to her, trying his best to plaster a smile over his expression. "Er, I think I'll remember you better as Shi, though." Raising his brow, he scrambled quickly to get himself a plastic red cup, skimming the rim of it with his thumb as he considered his approach to a greeting, swallowing hard as he inspected her once more. "Er, the name is Henry. I uh, most people call me Ami. Not hippie bullshit or anything, just once an annoying sibling gives you an annoying nickname, it tends to stick." Considering his sister, his shoulders slumped in relief, the thoughts in his head beginning to be muffled and bleached with his current distraction. No need to worry. No need to...

And then there was a fucking scream, sending Ami's hairs on the back of his neck standing straight up. He...he had to have heard that, right? No one else seemed to notice it in the fog of the crowd, the music loud and boisterous, the food inviting and tempting, people distracted and drowning out the voice of one of their own. So he waited. It had been a brief, stiff wait until the next proclamation met his ears, sending a shiver down his spine. "One second." Placing the cup back onto the table, Ami found himself fluttering towards the woman's pleas, head bobbing briefly in a sea of chaos and bodies, pinpointing a woman calling for assistance.

"The hell is going on?"

Fox Quincy

A familiar sensation. A gentle touch at his shoulder blade. Perhaps a flinch would be appropriate? A hunch of his shoulders? Fox did not obey the internal command of his desire to survive. His body slumped, relaxation flooding his nerves. There was no longer the need to count. His thumb no longer collided with each individual finger. His nails curled gingerly into his palm. Calm. Safe. Protected by a mutualistic partner in survival. Perhaps, beyond the sense of such primal instincts. Company he had enjoyed. What had his flora described the emotion as? Thrival? Fox could not confirm the grammatical accuracies of such a vocabulary word. He still felt it within his chest. "I would classify myself as a burden, Russell." Expression statuesque, Fox locked gazes with him to express the lightness of such an aggressive comment.

Guiding footsteps. Safe voyage into a sea of calm. Evenly distributed population...Fox's eyes lightened. Approximate equilibrium. Approaching an ideal environment. The notion of alcohol in Fox's system drew him from such a well-concocted fantasy, eyelids peeling back wearily. "Depressant, Russell. Will not assist in the proper balance I am attempting to maintain..." A hard swallow. Fox's embarrassment for the disgust of such a beverage refused to surface. Typical, social interaction. Drink. Speak. Repeat. Perhaps this would loosen his mental blockage. A wiser tone in Fox's skull informed him of the foolishness he would be pulled asunder into.

Not worth any risk. Control of himself was of upmost importance when he could not control his environment. Eyes trained to Russell. A red, plastic cup now placed into Fox's grasp. He dared not observe the amber colored liquid, as if it were meant to assault him the moment he averted his focus. A clink against the two cups. Fox attempted to curl his lips in a smile. "If we retreat to my home I can prepare some festivities. I have some music I can play. Much more considerate to one's ears than this current ensemble..." His mouth curved naturally, downwards and relaxed.

"I will give you ten dollars if you pretend to know me..."

Fox's attention broke from his pleasant thoughts of reclining with his mutual survivor (Poppy and Lilo would refer to such beings as friends). Confusion took over his visage. How could he pretend to know her? This was his flora's living partner. Nora. Yes. He recalled her. He did not know how many words they have shared, or whether or not he could count them on his fingers. "No need for payment. Nora, yes?" Pressing his knuckles to his throat, Fox lifted his cup. Meeting his lips...

He imagined this is what urine would have been flavored. Desperate. Desperate. He counted. Un. Deux...

Swallow. A gentle grimace encased his demeanor. Without thought of consequence, Fox's fingers drifted to Russell's arm. Draped over him. Protective and brotherly. Squeeze. Not enough to break the skin. To decorate crescents. To taint the skin pink. Enough to inform. "Are you not safe? Do inform us if there is an intent of bodily harm..."

Russell Morris

"Numbs the pain, Foxy. At least you get to pick your poison." Russell drawled, shrugging nonchalantly. He hadn't meant to throw his own escape onto Fox, but it was a party. A sip or two wouldn't kill him. At Fox's offer at an alternative house party, Russell broke into a grin, laughing. "That sounds pretty fun, Foxy. This music is definitely a little... eh... harsh? I swear that bass is giving me a heart attack." Another swig of beer traveled down his throat.

"I will pay both of you ten dollars to pretend like you know me..."

With a smirk, Russell burst into a bellowing laugh, and then took another swig. "Hope that does it for you. Wow, you're hilarious!" Then he leaned in slightly. "Did that cover you... uh... Nora?" He glanced at Fox. That's what he said her name was, right? Russell waved his hand dismissively. "Like my man here said. No need for payment. Who ya runnin' from? Everyone's always runnin' from someone at parties like these, I swear. Bitchy ex? Annoying friend? Been there done that. Stick with us, ma'am. We're the real life of the party."

Fox's arm snaked across Russell's broad shoulders and squeezed, and Russell grinned. "Hey! Look at you, loosenin' up! Alright, man. And I don't think there's anyone plannin' to harm this lady here. I mean, though, if there is, let us know. I'll beat 'em up for ya." Russell promised as he took another swig, wrapping his own arm around Fox.

Cries of 'fire hour' erupted, and Russell tch'd, rolling his eyes. "Jeez, the people here are really into this fire hour crap, huh?" He expected a little light show. Maybe one in the shape of a heart, but that'd be the biggest. But the screams grew wilder and the music grew louder and as Russell gazed up and upon the sudden booming and crackling shower, his jaw went slack, wiping away the grin.

His hold on Fox came loose, while his grip on the plastic cup grew so tight that it crumpled in his hand, liquid sloshing out. The relentless crescendo of the fireworks rattled Russell more than the bass of the music ever could have, eyes glassy and gaze far off. A damn load of pretty sparklers had managed to thrust him back into the barracks, the endless horrors of..

"W-w-well th-then. Th-th-that's f-fuck-kin' l-loud." Russell wheezed, slapping Fox's shoulder and stumbling back. "I... a-am getting an-nother dri-ink."

@KatSea @Elle Joyner

Last edited:
  • Sympathy & Compassion
As Zal and Poppy wandered off in search for s'more supplies, Sim's attention shifted to another familiar face, and laughing at the teasing accusation, he shrugged, "More like, I know better than to try and keep this little terror from food when she wants it. Just about lost my arm getting here."

His gaze drifted back to the crowd, gathering now around these supposedly famed burgers, and rubbing the back of his neck, he shook his head, "I haven't tried one, no. Gotta say, being the guy who's gotta serve these people burgers tomorrow for a living, I'm a little bit intimid--augh!" A burst of flames overhead spread in colorful cacophony, with an explosion in the sky and ripped across Simeon's chest. Pain lanced as Navi suddenly, inexplicably bolted again.

This time, her motion pulled away from the grills and as she nearly yanked her owner's shoulder from it's socket, Sim bore down, just barely managing to hang on to the leash in hand. His eyes flicked up to see what had spooked her, and he could just barely make out the woman, stumbling around the outskirts of the block party. Her cries for help were nearly drowned out by another raucous pop of fireworks, but Navi's keen ears perked and swearing, Sim tugged to keep her from running again, "Navi! Knock it off, would you! You're gonna break my--" Frantic barks erupted then, and with another forceful yank, the leash snapped out of his grasp and Navi launched across the lawn, Simeon racing behind.

"You might be the first person who's ever felt that way..." Sage remarked with a small chuckle, as Anton commented on her name, "Though I guess considering how I lead with that... It's probably my fault no one uses the full version."

His eyes flickered to the phone a minute faster than Sage could hide it, and a wry smile formed, head bobbing with a nod, "You could say that. My parents... They're uh... Not exactly thrilled I decided to venture out on my own. They've been scheming for weeks now, trying to get me to give it up." Looking up at him, her smile softened, "Thank God for stubborn, right? And hey... Tell your sister thanks. Cause I don't mind the company."

His sudden shift was met with a curious look, brow raised as he stripped off his sweater and knelt in front of her. It wasn't until he'd tied off the sweater ovet the brace that she realized what he was doing, and cheeks warming, Sage beamed, "...And folks say chivalry's dead. That's... Wow. Thank y-- Oh... What...?"

Chanting suddenly and unnervingly filled the air, shortly before an explosion of colors lit up the sky and Sage jumped at the sudden sound, eyes skimming the heavens with a mark of awe filling the momentary concern, "Oh... Wow."

Nora breathed out a sigh of relief as the hulk exploded in laughter and through her peripherals, she caught sight of the familiar figure skulking off, no doubt to chirp in the ear of some other unsuspecting victim.

"No bodily harm, Fox." Looking to the odd man with a small smile, she shrugged, "Just avoiding Suzie Homemaker and her army of creepy blond clones. Thought I shook her off going to Jofie's butt, damn, if she isn't persistent. Anyway... You're both heroes. Drinks on me. Thank-- I'm sorry. Are they... chanting??"

With a sudden loud series of bursts, like canons exploding over the cult-like cries for fire, the night sky bloomed with fireworks, but Nora's eyes didn't filter up. Looking to the brute of a man before her, her expression adjusted to one of concern, "You alright there, Hercules? Looking a little pale..."

She cast a glance to Fox, the concern deepening, "Maybe you should sit?"

• Love
GM Post: Come Together (Over Jerry)

"Help! Help, please! He's lost his damn mind!!"

Odessa sprinted through the lawns and bustling throng of partygoers faster than she had ever moved in her thirty-eight years of living. Sweat rolled down her overheated face, soaking through and ruining whatever waves she had spent hours beforehand ironing into her hair. With every distracted reaction she received from careless neighbors, the more and more her frustration climbed--

"The hell is going on?"

Except for one voice. A male one, disgruntled but swimming with a panic that was oddly sweet to Odessa's ears. Finally--finally! The woman came to a stop before Ami, hand resting over her pounding heart as she struggled to catch her breath. "Jerry--it's Jerry! H-he's in the house! Gasoline, everywhere! He's gonna… He's gonna light himself and the whole damn place on fire!"

Shilia, who had followed after Ami the moment she registered the screams and concern in his visage, appeared towards the tail end of Odessa's babbling. It was more than enough for the pale woman to connect the dots, however, and she grew impossibly paler in response. "O-oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear… M-ma'am? It's okay, just… take us to him. W-we'll try and… and…"

And what? Shilia didn't have the slightest clue. She wasn't trained for a crisis situation like this, wasn't emotionally nor physically built for this kind of pressure. She was nothing more than a tea-loving bookworm.

Regardless, whatever regrets she had were thrown under the bus as Odessa seized her and Ami by the wrists. "We've got to hurry!" In short order, she dragged them back to Phil's house, coming to stop in his lawn where even more civilians had gathered in a mixture of craving more burgers and catching onto the rumor of Odessa's panicking. She nudged through the extra bodies angrily--if none of them were going to help, she could care less about fake friendliness right now. She pointed ahead. "In there! Jerry could light the place up any…"

And then her hand fell.

The front door was closed shut.

"That… That idiot didn't!" Rushing forward, Odessa pulled and yanked at the knob, only to be met with what she dreaded.

The door was locked.

"Shit!" She tossed a glance over her shoulder, desperation climbing at the appearance of another man chasing after his dog. "Help me open this! Quick!"

Anton cleared his throat awkwardly at Elisage's reaction, not entirely sure how to reciprocate or respond to the sentiment. In the end, he just nodded and sat back down on the bench, posture hunched.

"Don't worry about it," he muttered, focusing on the cuts and calluses decorating his fingers, "Sis always said that I might be an ass, but she's determined to make me an ass with manners. If that, uh, makes any sense."

His brow furrowed. "Scheming…" At first, Anton held partial sympathy on the parents' part--if it were up to him, he'd be slow to venture out and leave his family behind too. One never knew when something like that could just… However, with her mentioning of "scheming", hesitance overwhelmed the sympathy--skeptical, in fact. He squinted in confusion. "Well, nothing about that shit sounds convoluted at all," he drawled sarcastically. "I'm sure it'll be fine. I guess stubbornness can be a good thing when you really need it--sounds like a perfect fit for your smothering gene donors situation."

And then there were explosions. Bright. Colorful. Abrupt. Incredibly loud--as if the increasingly rowdy volume of the concert wasn't disturbing enough. At the awed reaction from Elisage, Anton relaxed somewhat, letting his jaw slacken enough to let his grimace melt away. He didn't want to ruin this for her.

"It's uh… It's beautiful and all. Just wish they wackjobs didn't have to chant Fire Hour like some kind of cult…" Oh. That was a coincidentally dumb comparison. Sourness almost bubbled up his chest, but he managed to extinguish the feeling before it had a chance to surface.

"Whoaaaa--dudes! And duddettes! The heck is going on??"

Bay blinked at the foreign disembodied voice. She looked about, failing to matching a face to the exclamation at first--there were just too many people to count, especially since the total was steadily climbing by the second. It honestly peeved Bay off to see so many individuals showing up, yet a single finger refused to raise in assistance to the screams. She and Peggy had responded to the distress call immediately, which lead them to standing a few feet behind Odessa as she wrangled the door.

"Uh--Hey! Yeah, haha! Over here! This cutie!"

At the second calling, Bay managed to pick out the newbie. It was some blonde dude, likely her and Peggy's age, with a tall and lanky stature. In fact, there was something incredibly goofy yet confident about his demeanor; he jogged clumsily up to the pair of friends and took a moment to smooth out his black Fifth Element shirt before addressing them.

"You see all this insanity going on?? It's--like--the opposite of sane!" he sputtered while jabbing a thumb towards Phil's quarantined house.

Bay took a tiny step back. She was never savvy about talking with strangers, let alone abrasive ones. "I… yeah? It's crazy--"

"Bay…" Suddenly, abruptly, and to Bay's utter confusion, Peggy's hand tightened significantly around hers. Her banana-haired friend had lost all traces of careless radiance in her visage, which was now branded with a stoic expression, a guarded mist coating her eyes. "Don't talk to him. We gotta go."

The blonde man didn't seem to notice Peggy's stealthy hostility, so he merely held a hand out towards Bay. "Oh! Uh--Stan! By the way! My man, haha! If you couldn't tell what I was talking about, ya know? I bet your name's as pretty as you are, right cutie?"

"U-um…" Bay shot Peggy an uncertain look from her peripherals, completely floored and lost. What did her best friend have against this Stan guy? Despite her aversion to social interaction and overly bright personalities, he seemed decent in her book. However, if Bay trusted anyone in this situation, it was Peggy. She always would, no matter what. "It's not important. Like Peggy said, we have to go," Bay muttered.

Stan blinked and lowered his hand. "Oh. Uh, okay then! Laterz!"

Bay had every intention of leaving, but Peggy's insisten tugging beat her to the punch. As they pulled away from Stan, Peggy burned twin holes through the man with another glare at last second. "You stay away from us," she warned.

Stan just smiled and continued waving. "Heh… I still got it!"

Bay looked at Peggy cautiously, a hand on her arm. "Pegs… What was that about?"

Peggy's jaw clenched. "Just stay away from him, okay? Promise me?"

Bay faltered, but nodded nonetheless. "R… right. I promise."

Doors were locked. Odessa was yelling and banging at the door. More and more people were gathering outside…

Perfect.

If Jerry wanted to do this, he was going to do it right.

He peered through the curtains, glazed eyes taking in the panic and curiosity and hysteria. This would do just fine. It had to. It was all he ever wanted.

Look at everyone paying attention to him. Fretting. All over him. Him. Him. Just him. No one else. Not Phil. Not his stupid overrated shit piles for burgers.

Just. Him.

Jerry sat back down, resuming his previous position with the lighter cradled against his face.

"Soon," he breathed hoarsely.

Just a little bit longer.

Tags: @Elle Joyner , @KatSea , @CloudyBlueDay , @Iceydaze

• OMG
Reactions: KatSea
Olivia "Oli" Greene

One moment Olivia was chatting with Simeon about burgers, the next the roaring of the crowd drowned his voice out with a grand chant. "Fire Hour! Fire Hour! Fire Hour!" Somewhat new to this, Olivia couldn't help wonder what they were going to do with fire for an entire hour. The chants riled up her anticipation, lighting up her eyes with expectant curiosity.

Her curiosity was sated by a faint whistle that could barely be heard over the excited crowd that surrounded them. Long streaks of light cut through the night sky before climaxing at its highest point with loud booms and a splendid display of colorful sparks bursting in all directions. It was a beautiful sight to behold, so beautiful, Olivia almost forgot to breathe. "Ooh fireworks! That makes sense!" She cried out, joyful and oblivious to Sim's predicament. After hearing no response, did she turn to Simeon only to find him gone. A little looking around and she found him running off, racing after Navi. 'Was she frightened by the fireworks?' She wondered to herself, worried over the dog's state of mind.

Under the impression that Navi was frightened, Olivia ran off after the two, hoping she could be of some help to Simeon and Navi. The situation slowly made itself a little clearer to her the closer she got to the house. It wasn't exactly what she was expecting. A woman was desperately calling for help. One would think that with such a massive crowd around, her please would be answered yet for some reason most of the bystanders simply stood by and watched.

Soon Olivia found herself in the same position as them, watching from the sidelines. The woman was banging on the door, seemingly wanting in as others gathered around to watch. Although her understanding of the situation was very unclear, Olivia at the very least understood that they wanted to go inside. But for what? A slight movement from one of the windows caught her eye. A vague shadow could be seen behind the curtains as the fireworks over head lit up the scene enough to make it out. As the firework faded into nothing, so did the shadow.

As the woman's cries grew more urgent, Olivia felt the urge to do something; Anything to help. Out of impulse, she ran forward and grabbed a little ceramic gnome that decorated the lawn and protected the home. If it was going to fulfill its purpose, it may as well do it now. Without the slightest bit of hesitation, she hurled the gnome through the same window she had seen the shadow in. It was only at the sound of the glass shattering that she realized her actions were really stupid. Her fingers moved calculating the amount she would need to pay the owner to make it up to them.

"Oh god, what did I just-" She paused in the midst of her counting as a familiar scent drifted out from the house. Gasoline. The fine hairs on the back of her neck stood at attention at the realization that this was more than a simple rescue. "W-we have to get out of here. No, but that person.." Conflicted, her frightened gaze swept over to the others who seemed to have gathered to help as well completely at a loss as to what to do.

Mentions:
Simeon & Navi @Elle Joyner
@Others Present

• Creative
Reactions: Mobley Eats
Collab: Fire Hour and All Ain't Well | Interactions: Simeon @Elle Joyner , Ami @KatSea , Shilia & Jerry | Location: Phil's House

Fire hour…

The deafening crack of fireworks overhead resonated like a warfield, with such certain ferocity, it was easy to assume that Navi had been spooked… And in a sense, not entirely wrong. But it wasn't the pyrotechnics overhead that had frightened her… it was the awful cries of panic from the woman racing across her front lawn, and upon seeing the frantic woman, Simeon's chest tightened, posture rigid.

She turned, called to him and to the other man who had come to see the fuss, and Sim's grip tightened as Navi continued to drag him forward, ruthlessly.

Crash!

Glass shattered and Navi barked in response, Sim canting his head to see Olivia standing beside the ruined window.

That might've solved the locked door problem, but that, decidedly, wasn't the biggest issue they appeared to be facing. As the air from inside drifted out, the cloying, heady scent of gasoline flooded his senses, a figure barely visible inside… Something was wrong here. Very wrong.

Turning, he held the leash out to Olivia, frowning, "Just hang on to her, okay? Nav… Stay!" Turning the to Shilia, another vaguely familiar face and the man she had arrived with, he gestured first to Odessa, "Shilia… Can you try to keep her calm and quiet? And you…" He pointed to the man, "I'm gonna go in the front… Can you flank the house and see if you can get in through the back? Could be trouble."

Oh, God. Well, he supposed that would have been the smartest way to approach the goddamn psycho who decided that he was gonna blow his house to smithereens with innocent morons parading around to, godforbid, socialize. Yep. Ami fucking regretted listening to his sister and not sitting down with her to have a marathon of some goddamn British Baking show. Swallowing down what must have been liquid concrete seeping down his throat, Ami's eyes flickered from the broken window, to the man and his excitable dog. Ami had been here long enough to at least recognize the canine, who Azalea had easily fallen in love for and would have given her entire life's fund to make sure it had been given enough treats to satisfy a pound of mutts. Without even realizing it, an exhale of a swear escaped him, muffling the gentle buzz at the side of his coat.

"Isn't this how horror movies happen?" But hey! At least if you get your head chopped off by an axe wielding psychopath, you don't have to handle this bullshit anymore! Azalea would miss you horribly...but at least it would be going down in style~. Nope. Nope. Azalea. In the area. Nope. Don't want her freaked out. God fucking d-. "Fine. Fine. I'll try and get in through the back. If you can't get in through the front, try and join me in the back or squeeze through the window, which our fine madam has gladly shattered. Nice job." God, no, don't call her what has come to mind. What did Azalea say about manners now? No way to make friends? But if it causes my demise sooner...worth it or no?

Without wasting another exhale (as much as he would have liked to), Ami briskly paced towards the back of the home, working on a rhythm that Azalea had lulled him into when he was feeling, as she described it, bluesy. Centering his breath and focusing on the heave and fall of his chest, his eyes soon caught sight of the back door. Dread slithered down his spine, muscles in his neck tensing uncomfortably. Approaching the entrance with one hand extended, his fingers curled around the knob and with a soft horror piercing the back of his eyes, he realized it was unlocked. Yep. I'm about to be fucked royally. And not in the nice way.

"I…" Shilia found herself rooted by the ankles, unable to right herself as so much unfolded in the span of a single breath. Her night was supposed to be full of socializing, perhaps earning the friendship of Ami and further making a bashful bookworm fool of herself, not this… But, in the end, she supposed that didn't matter.

From what she could grasp, lives were at stake.

"Yes! I can." Nodding at Sim, Shilia quickly paced over to Odessa, who was reduced to a trembling mess of nerves and unfiltered energy. Just as the woman was within reach, Shilia had to loop an arm around her own when she started towards the busted window. "Ma'am? Ma'am! Please, th-that wouldn't be wise--"

"But Phil!" Odessa yelled, her eyes bloodshot and sore with a thick film of tears. Loosening the massive sleeve of her sweater, Shilia hastily yet gently dabbed away at the elder woman's face.

"I know… But… Please. Stay back with me. We'll call the authorities, alright? Just bare with us," Shilia said. At first, Odessa seemed to hold a slew of protests on her tongue, only to catch herself at last moment… Her shoulders visibly slumped with defeat.

"Okay… O-okay. Police. I can…" She quickly fished out her phone and dialed the authorities, a free hand latched onto the comfort of Shilia's sweater.

"The only difference between a horror movie and a comedy is the music." Sim noted, with an uneasy shrug, to Ami's less than optimistic statement, "So hum some ridiculous song in your head and we'll come outta this laughing."

As everyone moved away to man their stations, Sim gave one last look around, before moving to the shattered window. Pulling his zipdown sweater over his head, he trapped his hands in the thick, knitted fabric, and with a breath, heady from the scent of gas, he heaved himself up over the sill and dropped cautiously inside.

"Hey, Phil?" He called into the darkened interior, "You here, bud?" He paused a bit, in the hollow silence, dropped his sweater from his hands, before calling out again, "Jerry?"

Good Christ, dog whisperer wanted him to sing a little merry tune as he was going into bomb-voyage territory? Whelp. If Ami was gonna go out, might as well be with a freaking bow. What the hell did Azalea always hum at home to soothe her nerves? Sandman something? Alright, fine. "Mister Jigsaw, let my blood stream, be the cutest cliche that I've ever seen. Mister Jigsaw ...bum bum bum…." Ami's brow raised as with the childish murmurings, he latched his fingers around the knob and pried the door open. Didn't most people lock the back door? Especially if they were out during a celebration? Perhaps this poor fellow wasn't as anxious or as paranoid as Ami could be when it came to his household and who resided within, but a trickle of nerves raced up his spine.

"Hey, do you like scary movies?" He whispered to himself, tracing his steps gingerly as he entered the household. Looked normal enough, if there hadn't been that disgusting scent flurrying about. Raising his collar and encasing the lower half of his face, Ami took a shaky breath. "Hey! Phil my man, how you holding up?" He called out, surprised to feel a twinge or flight or fight attempting to crawl into his skull. Nope. Nope. He was not gonna submit himself to that of all things. Despite this, a small tremble encased his knuckles. "My brother it's sort of wretched in here ...Phil?" His eyes squinted as he moved further into the house, a wave of nausea turning in his stomach. "J-Jerry?"

The moment Jerry's name left Sim's lips, there was the soft creak of footsteps. They were close, incredibly so, and came from right behind the man. Jerry's hulking and gasoline-soaked form emerged from the shadows, something glinting within his grasp. He swung swiftly, only for the power of his attack to veer his aim wide and just barely skim the cloth of his shirt. He stumbled a bit, scrambling to right himself as he watched Sim like a cornered animal, the knife pointed at him trembling wildly.

"Don't make me…" he rasped, a shaky and demented smile twisting his lips. Perhaps sad. Perhaps crazed. It was a myriad of discombobulated emotions that never belonged together. "You can't make me! I'll be remembered! They'll remember!"

Instinct. Pure instinct was all that kept Sim from a very inexpensive and unpleasant piercing, as he drove himself backwards, away from the swipe. Heart pounding, eyes widening, he held up his arms in front of him - both to protect himself, and to indicate that he meant no harm.

"Easy! Easy, Jerry! Woah, there…" His mind revolving wildly around the plethora of thoughts that slammed into him with the force of a buick, he tried to grasp exactly what the other man was saying, "I'm not sure what's going on, man… But… but listen. We all wanna be remembered, you know? Hard pressed to find someone who doesn't. This, though? This isn't the way to do it. You do this, Jerry, and you aren't gonna be remembered for anything good. That what you want? The rest of the town thinkin' you were some smacked out monster before you went? Nah… Jerry. That's not right. You know that. Guy like you? Smart as hell… decent. Way folks talk about you? You seem better than that…"

Ami stopped short in his tracks as a foreign voice shot across the hallway, and within a few moments, was soon registered as Jerry himself, whose emotions(and seeming craziness, God help the souls who foolishly wandered into a ticking time bomb), were palpable from this distance. Okay. Plan A. Talk Jerry down. Plan B should have included some form of physical force, but...There wasn't time for him to scramble through the kitchen to find a decent weapon. And besides, Ami did not want it to go down just like that. Perhaps a little more smoothly, you know, less violent swings and blows and more "come on man lets just both have a shot and express our woes together".

Quietly making his way from the hallway into the open room, noting immediately the presence of a stumbling Simeon, he gently raised a finger to his lips to signal silence about his arrival, although whether or not Jerry had detected his presence remained unknown. If Jerry had attempted to make a move towards Simeon, Ami knew he was going to have to pry that knife away from his hands. Now that, is how I'd like to go out. Died as he lived, being a total fucking moron..
He raised his hand silently, signalling to Jerry before giving a nod, then shaking his head. You want me to do something stupid or nah. I can go either way to be honest.

Jerry fell silent as he stared at Simeon, his hold on the knife slackening ever so slightly… But no. No, no, no--empty words. The preaching of a person who'd never remember him. Would never come to understand how hard Jerry tried every single day to make it by with that damnable plastic smile. It was all merely flowery anecdotes to make him lower his guard, just so that someone could get the jump on him--

Like the second person attempting to sneak up behind him. Ami was decently stealthy, but the absolute paranoia coursing through Jerry's veins had enhanced his awareness like a veteran tossed back into the throes of war. His grip on the knife tightened once more…

And he spun around to charge Ami, blade swinging out in an attempt to slice at the man. However, the corner of a coffee table smacked into his ankle, sending a painful throb up his leg and all of him down to the floor. Jerry stumbled, scrambling to right himself as he flashed teeth like a wild animal.

As soon as Ami made his approach and Jerry spun, a curse exhaled from Simeon's lips and without waiting, he sprinted towards the man with the knife. It was stupid. It was incredibly stupid, and if he lived, he was probably going to regret it, but he'd dragged Ami into this mess, and he wasn't going to go down as the guy who got other people killed… If that was even something people were remembered for.

Racing forward, he took the moment Jerry stumbled into the table and with whatever advantage he could muster, slammed into his back.

"Hey wait!" Ami was horrified to find panic dripping from the call that escaped his mouth, unsure of how such survival instincts slipped into the back of his head. Any other day this would have been a fine thought, but now that it was manifesting in front of him, he found a twinge of humanity returning to his head. Which wasn't a good thing as a knife wielding manic tripped over himself and crawled towards you like the fucking psycho woman from the Ring. About to pounce back, to somehow return with a jab of his foot, somehow get the knife out of his grasp, Simeon completed half of the job ahead and nearly slammed the man back into the floor.

G-good. Good. Zale would not want this to end any other way. Nor would Simeon or Shilia, I guess.

Without full consciousness(and certainly he wouldn't remember the exact steps he had taken later in the day), Ami rushed towards the fallen man and slammed his heel between the man's shoulder blades. Once he had successfully pinned him back to the ground, Simeon on top of him, Ami reached for the man's arm and twisted it behind his back, using his remaining hand to pry the knife from his grip. "Easy there Jerry. Easy. I'm sorry, I'm sorry…Y-you alright Simeon?"

"Just fantastic…" Simeon half groaned, as he did his best to hold on to Jerry, while Ami snapped the knife free, "...But if you wanna be quick about this, I'm not gonna complain…"

In the middle of their conversation, Jerry struggled against the hold aggressively, bearing teeth in a show of pain and fury as his arm twisted behind his back. He wiggled and thrashed, jaw clenching more and more against the sensation flaring up to his shoulder. He refused to be put down like this. To be dismissed like this. He refused. He refused. He refused!

With an enraged roar, he snapped an elbow into Simeon's chest, just hard enough to make his grip slack, and yanked free of Ami's grip. There was the ever so faint sound of a pop emitting from the man's shoulder socket, but he paid it no mind as he made a mad scramble for the hallway leading to the backyard.

Swearing beneath his breath, Simeon quickly scrambled to his feet. Reasoning hadn't worked, and force hadn't been too effective, either… It was pretty clear Jerry was determined to do whatever it was he'd set in his mind to do - and given that he wasn't exactly in his right mind, it didn't seem like a spectacular idea to let him get away.

"Fuck!" So much for being quick with the lunatic who may or may not have killed his neighbor? Depends on whether or not they could actually find...but for the meantime, he was escaping, and if there was any chance of finding the homeowner...They would need Jerry to calm down and explain what exactly happened. Only, Ami doubted that this would happen. Good Christ. He was right, going out tonight was a horrific idea. Thanks, fucking Azalea. Whatever, right now he just needed to focus his sights on Jerry and...wow when did he get so far ahead? Ami swore he was in shape, good Christ but...Damn, he was gonna need to fix that for the next time he went on a high speed chase through some stranger's backyard. That's right, this was about to be a biweekly gig.

Sprinting after Simeon, somewhat ashamed at the sudden sharp decrease in breath, Ami lunged close towards Jerry, only to have his hold shaken off and for him to stumble to an awkward stop. "Crap...crap one second." A pause. Despite the attempted failure, Ami continued his pursuit.

The adrenaline pumping through Jerry's vein was still present, but nowhere near as abundant as before. He winced with every spike of pain rippling through his shoulder, which swung limply at his side, and found himself slowing down the further he went. The forest was just up ahead; if he could get there, it'd all be a matter of disappearing behind the foliage.

Gnashing his teeth, Jerry roamed the past racing past him, desperate for any sort of leverage… Then he spotted it. With a grunt, he snatched up a rusted hammer, one of many of Phil's misplaced tools, and continued sprinting.

He wouldn't hesitate to break bone if either of them tried to stop him.

As he burst through the door, to his side, Sim immediately caught sight of a lawn chair. The safety of Phil… of the townspeople… hell, of Jerry himself, relied on catching the man. It wasn't something Sim was thrilled to do, but they needed to cut him off if they were going to accomplish anything. Snagging one of the chairs, he took a step and the pain of the bruise he'd received from the elbow to the chest rippled as he chucked it as far as he could.

Watching with dismay as it fell a few feet shy of Jerry's escaping form, he looked to Ami, "We need to stop him, now!"

"No shit Sherlock." Ami hissed, eyes squinting wearily as Simeon failed to slam the plastic chair into Jerry's backside. Well, this was a considerable problem, considering he crouched down long enough to acquire an item in his grasp. Ah, fuck it, Ami didn't have a death wish today, bizarrely enough, and figured that if he didn't want to get blugeoned to death or brutally stabbed, he was going to try and handle the situation from afar. But what the hell was he gonna use? It's not like Jerry had a hose out here or a possible gun…

Oh God. This was a literal longshot, but Ami did recall the brief time in high school where he considered throwing discus, and if he learned anything from television, if you saw the action at least once you could replicate it to perfection to get out of a sticky situation. Or some horse shit like that.

Ha. He could...he could at least look like a dumbass in front of Simeon. He might as well have a little fun. Rushing over to the tire, eyes wide and realizing just how ridiculous of a plan was riding through his head, Ami's fingers dug underneath the tire and lifted it from the ground, surprised to feel that his strength was enough to support the weight, at least somewhat. Okay, once he got a good grip…

He was surprised to find that it took no time at all to lift the item off the ground, and with a swinging start as his heels pivoted into the fresh dirt, reminding him somewhat of twirling Wick in their living room, he found his fingers leaving the worn rubber of the tire before he could think to let go. Swiveling to a stop, he placed his hand to his temple and watched with wide and wild eyes as the tire collided with Jerry, sending him sprawling into the ground. "Holy shit that worked! Holy shit! Screw YOU Jerry!"

Jerry was quick to leap away from the rogue lawn chair flying his way, somewhat caught off guard that one of the new neighbors would actually consider it as a weapon. However, his attention was so drawn to the bizarre object that he had no chance realized an even stranger object rocketed after him. A surprised and pained cough ejected from his lungs as the tire nailed him in the spine, face smashing hard into dirt.

The nearby sound of police sirens. The authorities Shilia had called were drawing close.

The large man groaned. The adrenaline failed him completely now; every ounce of pain, exhaustion, and jumbled hysteria resurfaced, and with it came the inability to move. He growled in pure, raw, unfiltered frustration and ire, fingers curling deeply into the grass and leaving behind trenches.

They wouldn't forget him.

Car doors began to open and slam shut, feet trampling through the house. It was over.

But they would never… ever... "Ever… forget! Me!" Jerry snarled.

"Are you two alright?" It was Shilia's voice that carried into the backyard, squeezing back the bodies of armed police officers and rushing up to Ami and Simeon.

"Nice one!" Simeon called, as Jerry went down hard, clapping Ami on the shoulder. It was an unfortunate end to what was meant to be a fun night and Jerry was a mess, but he'd hopefully get the help he needed, now…

Turning around, Sim spotted Shilia racing their way, giving her a nod, "Not too shabby on my end, but no sign of Phil. We need to find him… he might be hurt."

"Sorry, what's your name again? I didn't catch it."

Ami called out towards Jerry with an unapologetic chuckle, realizing his hands trembled from the action they had committed. He had to admit, that did give him somewhat of a rush. "Ah. Thanks man." He commented as a hand clapped to the back of his shoulder, Ami following suit and giving Simeon a hearty pat on the back.

"I didn't throw my back out or anything in the process of that event. Not at all." Eyes flickering towards a familiar voice, Ami caught sight of Shilia (which he had to admit, as much as he wish he had more time to try and socialize with her, he was ecstatic to have done this). He swallowed. "Ah, I think Simeon and I are alright. Not too bad of a scuffle with mister Joey over there or something." Ami caught a glance of Simeon, and with a flash of realization, he nodded. "Shit...if the house is safe to go into that should be searched by the police...maybe the basement or if possible the attic? I don't know where Johnson could have put Phil."

Shilia was just about to agree in kind until Jerry's enraged hollowing filled the air. "Let me go! Let me go—I will be remembered I swear to God!" He was dragged ruthlessly across the yard, his boots digging into the ground and ripping out patches of grass. And yet, his efforts were futile.

As he passed the trio and overheard Ami's comment, he lunged violently towards them and snarled, baring teeth like a rabid beast. "Do you know what you've done! Huh! Do you?!" The officers yanked him back and dragged him inside, his distressed yell echoing like a man walking to Deaths Row. "No! Don't take me back there! Please don't! ``I-I learned my lesson!"

His voice faded into white noise.

Hands trembling and gaze glued to where Jerry was mere seconds ago, Shilia murmured, "Well, th-that was…" She cleared her throat. "Agreed. I think police are sweeping the basement right now but the attic may be open to look around."

Watching Jerry with a mixture of sympathy and disquieted note, Simeon shook his head, "Wonder what he meant… take him back there?" Shaking his head, his gaze returned to the pair, "Don't think we should wait for them, then. Dunno what condition the guy's in…" Heading for the back door, he looked over his shoulder, "Coming?"

Despite Ami's antics, his shoulders visibly tensed as Jerry continued to scream, the authorities having safely put him under custody. All jokes aside, Ami had a twinge of sympathy for the man as he begged to be remembered, but within this empathy a swirl of confusion and concern billowed in his stomach. Besides the fact this man clearly had something wrong with him and that he could have easily driven Phil six feet under ground, another sense twinged at the back of Ami's mind. Something...more than just a jealous neighbor. He figured if the second act were to follow, a priest or man of authority would approach him and to beware of demons and mirrors, or an evil talking doll..

"Don't think swearing to Sky Pops is gonna do you any good, bub." Ami replied sleepily, swallowing down the disgust that came from watching the man squirm. His final words, however, are what stung Ami's heart the wrong way, that they had screwed up, sent somewhere where he had been before…

This fucking maniac been in the slammer before? Not the first Phil he had murdered? A grimace briefly graced his features. "Think he may have already served his nickel…" He grumbled under his breath, eyes darting to Shilia before focusing in on Simeon.. "Yeah. I don't think this is the first time Jerry fucking lost his head."

"I've...I've got nothing better to do, I guess." Azalea was gonna kill him later. That...that actually killed two birds with one stone. Heh. Stepping behind Simeon, he glanced hesitantly at Shilia "You coming or...this whole shit has been sort of stressful so I get it if you'd rather not."

"He seemed like such a sweet man before all of this," Shilia said, her mind traversing over the few memories she had of Jerry's smiling face. She had been living in Moss Creek a few months now and she'd never seen any warnings or signals, no indicator of the man falling into a spiral… It was so sudden. Bizarrely so. Shaking off her thoughts, she continued, "No… N-no, it's quite alright. I can stay. I'm just as worried about Phil and, honestly, no matter how insane the night has been, I'd rather spend it next to you two." The woman almost hesitated towards the tail end of her sentence, wondering if that was a normal admission to give out, let alone one to have so early into getting to know Ami and Simeon.

She cleared her throat awkwardly and walked into the house. Fortunately, it wasn't hard to spot the hatch in the ceiling and lowering the wooden staircase leading up into it took far less effort. What gave Shilia slight pause was the flurry of ancient dust that rolled out like a fog, making her squint and cough in offense for her poor lungs. Regardlessly, she ascended with the men.

Phil seriously needed to clean this place out.

It was filled to the brim with junk and old knick knacks, along with boxes overflowing with rusted tools. A tall item of some sort was crammed into the east corner and draped entirely by a white tarp, which was also holding more grime than the stuff she'd seen at the Moss Creek library. The floorboards creaked ominously with every step she took… though it wasn't many to begin with. She wasn't exactly pouncing on the other of delving into this unsanitary mess.

But still, from first glance, she didn't see a body. "Well… perhaps we'll find a clue? Surely, there's some reason Jerry targeted Phil and maybe… Maybe this is our starting point."

As Shilia headed up to the attic, Simeon stuck close. He was never one to assume a woman couldn't take care of herself, but he was also raised right, and letting her meander around in the creepy attic was something his grandmother would've cross stitched his hand to his forehead. That being said, he was also fairly certain Phil wasn't up there… Not with the cloud of dust that had rained down on them when the hatch had been opened.

Frowning, he looked around, all the same.

Across the dingy attic, he could see a glass front curio cabinet, which at first glance appeared empty, save for the clear indicators that Phil wasn't exactly Adrian Monk levels of clean. Still, he had seen Nona's similar cabinet, and the amount of nooks and crannies it held out of eyeline was imaginative. A brow raised, he nodded to it, "Gonna just check inside…"

Heading for it, he pulled open the doors and peered inside. A sweep with his eyes revealed little more than what he'd expected, and the dust more than tickled his sinuses. A sudden and sharp sneeze echoed through the attic, scattering cobwebs and dust from the wood of the second shelf, and as his eyes opened again, the brow quirked higher…

"...The hell?" Scratches marred one of the boards at the back, like something caused by a tool. Removing the shelf, he leaned in further, and giving a knock, listened to the hollow resonance. Knees in the quarter-inch dust puddle in front of the cabinet, now, his fingers curved into the edges of the cutout, and with a small pop he freed the cutout, "Shilia… You got your cell on you? I could use some light."

"Maybe he just snapped and Phil happened to be the person he snapped at." Ami had seen it prior, someone had seemed normal one day and then the next snapped at the closest person available, sometimes himself and sometimes Azalea. But instinct once again tickled his spine and he felt uneasy. This was...not just about jealousy or superiority complex. Ami, taken by his thoughts, did not notice Shilia or Simeon moving away from him, and instead found himself to be transfixed by the white, cruelly stained tarp that draped itself over the wall. "Okay...if Phil is tied up back here, give me a good few muffled groans, kay bud?"

Grimacing at his own words, Ami advanced towards the tarp, and gripping the fabric gingerly, managed to tug it away from the wall where it hung. And...no Phil. In fact, nothing here. There was no cabinet, no trophies no…"Oh?" Peering up, Ami caught sight of a metallic object nailed into the wall above him, staring down at him with a clear, seemingly older lense. Cheap. Crappy. Ami couldn't tell the brand, but he definitely knew that this was a security camera nailed into the wall.

"The fuck?" He questioned, brow raised, inspecting the object over and over again to be sure his eyes weren't screwing with him. Who in hell had a security camera in their attic? Unless Phil had a secret space with the family's fortune tucked inside he highly doubted he would have required the need for such a device. In fact, Ami could guess that with the condition this place was in, it was possible that Phil hadn't been up here in awhile.

"Alright, time to see what this thing is made of." Stepping back from the camera, Ami's shoe barely scraped against the floorboard, and glancing down he noticed...scuff marks? The hell? Didn't look like shoe heel marks or anything, in fact… Stepping closer to the toolbox to get a better peek, Ami noted that the scuff marks appeared to be that of a larger object. A cabinet? That safe he questioned himself earlier? Whatever it was, it was of decent size. Now, if this shotty old security camera still worked… Ami shuffled briefly through the tool box, cheery to see that a screwdriver soon laid in his grasp.

Approaching the camera once more, Ami fumbled briefly on his heel to lengthen his spine and reach above him. Struggling with the screws, as this was tightly twisted in(which shocked him due to the crappy design of the camera itself), Ami pursed his lips and found that his fingers cramped after a few minutes of struggling. However, with enough irritation and general stubbornness, Ami managed to secure the screwdriver into the upper corner, twisting and creaking the screw until it began to unwind from its prison in the wall. Peering back as he unwound the piece of metal, he plucked it from the wallboards and squinted his eyes to get a better look. Wires. Several. All running...down. Ami wasn't the great technological user, but he had a horrific suspicion that wherever the footage went, it was somewhere in the lower levels of the house. "S-shilia? Simeon? I just...found some real creepy serial killer shit over here."

As Simeon and Ami split up to do their own detective work, Shilia decided to do some of her own. Hands clasped politely behind her back, she walked about the attic, making sure to steer clear of her friends' work and step over the collection of knick knacks littering the floor. So far, she didn't notice anything particularly odd or indicative of Phil being previously present in here, aside from his personal belongings. There was a bowling ball with his name custom printed onto it but other than that, she wasn't seeing much.

At Simeon's call, she perked up and clumsily fumbled for her phone. "Y-yes. Of course. Excuse me." She crouched next to the man and raised the flashlight, illuminating a hole that had sawed out of the wall behind the cabinet. Shadows peeled back to reveal some… little golden figurine resting inside. Clean and pristine. And it was a birdlike creature of some sort. Shilia's brow furrowed with recognition. "Wait… Why does Phil have a little golden phoenix in his wall? Um… may I?"

Gingerly, she reached forward and pulled out the statue, standing to her feet and examining it curiously. Seriously, not a speck of dust was found on this thing; Phil must've taken seriously good care of it, though she couldn't fathom why he'd hide it behind a cabinet rather than place on a desk or something. "It's so clean… Why would Phil hide this? It's rather beautiful."

However, her attention was then drawn to Ami's… undoubtedly worrisome declaration. "Creepy serial killer shit" wasn't exactly at the top of her shopping list. Regardless, she shot Simeon a look and nodded over to Ami, walking over to examine what her friend had found… Okay, none of this was making much sense to Shilia. Was that… a security camera? In the attic? "None of this makes much sense to me…" she whispered, gaze falling to the gold phoenix in her hands once more. "Simeon found this hidden in the wall and now there's a security camera, which was covered, at that… What does this even mean?" she asked, looking back and forth between the men.

Their investigations hadn't turned up much in the way of finding Phil, but what it had uncovered was no less disturbing than the man being missing. Following Shilia to see what Ami had revealed, he felt a chill resonate along his spine in that same way he might get watching a horror movie and knowing the villain was behind the corner with the axe…

"Starting to get the feeling Phil is into some wacky stuff… Not sure I wanna know more than I do, now." Shaking his head, he stepped away from the peep-camera, "At any rate, I don't think Phil's up here… and I'm not feelin' the Scooby Doo vibes, right now."

"Hmm?" Ami's attention diverted from the suspicious ass camera to get a glance at the creepy ass looking trinket. However, once Ami's eyes got a better glance at the hidden treasure, he realized how delicate and beautiful the creation actually was, and for a moment his features softened. This...did not feel right at all. Unless that little trinket Phil had hidden was worth a lot more than the three of them thought and that's why Jerry attacked him...even then that didn't explain the security camera. Unless this damn thing was worth so much he had to hide it and keep a camera in to observe it at all times. Even then...Jerry wouldn't have fucking snapped over this, would he? "Well, gang, I think we have a fucking haunting on our hands. Or at the very least, a fucking conspiracy theory. I understand having cameras around the house but...the attic doesn't make any sense unless he was hiding something in here. The only thing I can think of is that little phoenix but...that can't be worth that much, could it? And if so, why would Jerry make Phil disappear over it? Unless there's a soap opera twist we aren't quite aware of just yet…" Ami's brow furrowed.

"Well, we do have one thing we can use to possibly find out why the cameras were in use. There's scuff marks on the floor, I think something could have been dragged across. Maybe a desk or a cabinet? That, and even better so, I have a fair idea as to where the location of the footage may have went." He gestured his thumb downwards. "The wires lead downstairs. Which means that the footage might still be here in the house." Perhaps, that's why Jerry fucking threatened to light himself on fire? Ami blinked. "By the way Simeon did you like, spike me with acid or something earlier cause this shit does not feel remotely real."

"Honestly? With the bizarre happenings as of recently, I pray that no one's been spiked with anything right now," Shilia said, her insides twisting more and more with suspicion. Nothing about their findings made sense and she failed to make any connections between them. True, the camera must've been set up to keep an eye on the phoenix statue, but Phil could've easily just kept it in an office space or something. Anywhere that was more easily within his sight, rather than cooped up in a wall.

At Ami's suggestion, Shilia's nodded… only to catch herself midway, an annoying realization hitting her. "You're likely right about the footage, Ami, but I doubt the authorities will let us look anywhere else. They'll be up here and ordering us to leave at any second now…"

"And I'm not exactly in the mood to play Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew here, but something about all of this just… Feels wrong." Hands on his hips, Simeon eyed the statue, "Maybe it's stolen? Think we should hand it over to the police? Tell them about the cameras?"

"Mmm, that means you're Ned, Simeon." Ami let his lips curl up in a wary grin. "Don't ask which one of us is Nancy, you won't be happy with the answer." Fighting down the nausea that came with the realization that no more exploration could be accomplished, he pressed his knuckles to his throat and gingerly rubbed it up and down the column of his neck. "Well. Here's a plan then. We come back in a few days if they don't find Phil by then. If they do, we forget about this. We let Phil go back to normal and forget it happened. If the police don't, we come back. Deal?" He wasn't sure how long the police were going to secure the house, but with the dumbass mistakes he used to make, or well, still makes, breaking into a missing person's house didn't come as much of a surprise. He scratched the back of his neck.

"Alright. Just...remember what you saw. Maybe take that little statue with you. Hopefully we won't have to come back…"

Shilia was completely okay with the idea of leaving. Everything about Phil's attic made her gut twist into knots and instincts scream at the top of their lungs. Her alarm bells had been ringing nonstop the moment Simeon found the phoenix statue. "I mean… I don't know if we should take it…" Wasn't this considered stealing? Even if it was evidence, she couldn't overlook the guilt nagging at the back of her skull…

She clenched her jaw, then nodded. "Alright. We'll take it. The sooner we're out of here, the better. Besides, I'm worried about my brother." Christ, that was right. Her brother! Where was he in the middle of this fiasco outbreak? Was he still safe? If Shilia had an urge to leave before, it was an undeniable obligation now. An instinctual elder sibling protectiveness. "C-come on. I'd really rather not have authorities boot us out."

She started heading for the ladder… Only to give pause. Wait… She glanced back, squinting towards the low ceiling, specifically where that same surface met the walls. Some vents rested below the seams, which didn't stand out as odd to Shilia; however, they were a tad… untraditional in design. The screens were metallic and thin, like tightly knit barbed wire rather than steel plates. Honestly… She was probably overthinking.

Either way, they needed to get out of here.

Shaking off the thought, Shilia started to descend.

Didn't sit right with him… not any of it. Phil was still missing, Jerry was being hauled off to God knew where and they were effectively robbing the house of the same man they should've been searching for… and he wasn't entirely sure why, but he voices none of it. There was an eerie sense of something off about the whole mess, and all he wanted was to get home and whip up a stack of blueberries pancakes the size of his head.

"Here…" Holding out a hand to Shilia, he smiled dryly, "I'll hold onto the statue. If anything goes south, I uh… I know a few lawyers I can give a call to."

When he had the statue in hand, he grimaced lightly, before tucking it into the waistband of his jeans, tugging his shirt over it, "Let's just… get out of here…"

"Christ! Azalea!" Ami muttered a long string of swears underneath his breath as he fumbled for his back pocket to retrieve the phone tucked within. His eyes narrowed as he noticed three messages from her...okay. Root beer floats with Poppy. She was safe. No police interference anyway.

"HAVE FUN FINDING SOME GIRLS!! Much <3" The last message read, causing Ami to roll his eyes as he tucked the phone back into his pocket.

"Hey man." Ami claimed shakily, pressing the back of his hand to his forehead. "If the cops kicked us out I can check that off my bucketlist."

Taking a deep breath after Shilia and Simeon began to descend the stairs, their decision determined with some uncertainty, Ami bit the inside of his cheek as he scoped the attic one last time. And for the first time in years, a genuine prayer began to exit Ami's lips.

Tags: @CloudyBlueDay , @Iceydaze

TIME SKIP

Time - Sunday, 1 PM | Location - Moss Creek Culdesac

giphy.gif

Bacon.

Shilia smelled bacon.

Well, that was a rather pleasant scent to wake up to and one that she happily welcomed after the bizarre happenings of last night. Once she, Ami, and Simeon vacated Phil's premises and went their separate ways, she immediately dragged Anton home, more than spooked by Jerry's breakdown. Absolutely everything about that party went downhill.

Well, almost everything.

She half-expected Anton to wake up feeling as morose as she did, yet she could hear activity downstairs. He was up--actually doing something besides work and moping around. Shilia couldn't tell if she felt relieved, suspicious, or an odd combination of the two. "Well... That's not weird at all," she sighed before groggily crawling out of bed. The woman didn't bother changing out of her pajamas nor combing out her wild dark mane, and descended the stops while half-heartedly covering a yawn of impressive proportions. "Anton...?"

"Oh. You're up. Morning." Her brother's response did indeed travel from the kitchen. Shilia entered on uncertain feet, only to stop once she was two steps inside and openly gape.

So apparently, far more than bacon was prepared.

Resting in the center of the table was a platter holding cinnamon baked bacon and sausage links. A pile of buttered toast sat on its left, while a large bowl full of fluffy scrambled eggs sat to the right. Her brother in question was currently slicing up kiwis and strawberries at the counter, half of his attention switching over to the Keurig every now and then. Vanilla roast.

Shilia's favorite.

"I..." For a handful of seconds, words failed the woman. She continued to scan her surroundings like an escape convict, as if expecting authorities to come kicking the doors down at any moment. Cautiously, she sat down at the table, drumming the wood timidly. "Are you... feeling alright?" she asked.

Anton answered without turning out. "Yeah. No better or worse than usual." Shilia squinted at how quickly the answer came, but before she could offer a rebuttal, he pushed on like a nonchalant bulldozer. "Coffee's done, by the way. Vanilla's still your favorite, right? Or am I, like, going through early onset dementia already?"

"I'd hope not," Shilia whispered under her breath. Although the questions and hesitation raged strong, she refused to appear ungrateful, especially not in the face of her brother's surprisingly generous actions. Thus, she hastily poured herself a cup, gave pause, then filled a second for Anton. He was never terribly picky when it came to coffee, as long as it gave him the extra kick he needed to "deal with people"--his words, not hers. She seated herself again and Anton followed not a moment after while setting the fruit down. He wasted little time piling food onto his plate.

And avoiding eye contact with Shilia.

Ah... She should've known something was amiss.

Unfazed, the woman also filled her plate and allowed something akin to peaceful silence to settle over them like a blanket. Nothing but the clang of forks against ceramic ruled the room; well, that and the curiosity rolling through Shilia. Finally, after five minutes of awkwardness, her patience dwindled and she cautiously placed down her fork. "At first, I was rather miffed by your actions."

Anton just grunted and shoveled more eggs into his mouth. A silent acknowledgment on his part and more than enough for his sister to continue.

"But now you're showing all the signs... What exactly are you trying to distract me from?"

Again, Anton refused to look at her. "Don't know what you're going on about--"

"Anton."

Her brother heaved a deep sigh, rubbing the center of his brow. A moment passed, then he forced himself to lock vision with her, expression bland but pensive. "...Whatever. Guess you were gonna hear about it eventually."

Shilia frowned. "About...?"

He ran a hand through his disheveled hair. "That crazy dude from last night? Police let him go already."

Good morning, neighbor!

So, so, soooo sorry about last night! Jerry didn't mean any of that. He just had a rough night.

You know how emotions can get you going.

You just never know what you're doing sometimes. Am I right?

Right!

Now that we've settled down and got a good night of rest, it's time to have a nice, relaxing Sunday.

Most of you will have work tomorrow.

But that shouldn't stop you from bonding with your fellow Moss Creek tenant.

Go make wonderful memories together!

So, please--have fun and don't forget to smile!

Ever.

Tags: @KatSea , @CloudyBlueDay , @Elle Joyner , @Iceydaze

Last edited:
NORA​

There was nothing healthy about the amount of coffee Nora had consumed that morning. She had lost count after exceeding the daily recommended intake roughly four times over, and by mid-afternoon, her hands were shaking like virgin undoing a bra clasp for the first time, but the quivering anxiety in her stomach had nothing to do with the near lethal dosage of caffeine in her system.

She knew what she'd heard in that box, and it wasn't any instrument man knew how to play. The memory of that dull thud replayed over and over in her brain like bad elevator music, the sickening weight of it haunting her, as she did everything within her power not to fall completely to pieces in the middle of the class lecture on Greater Than/Less Than.

By lunch, she had forgotten the fairly simple concept of sentence structuring, and the phantom pounding repetition of whatever was in that damn case had begun to resonate into a very non-spectral migraine, despite her blood stream having been mostly replaced by java.

As the students peeled off to the cafeteria, Nora made her way down the hall towards the office of the principal, each step driving a spike into her temples. Outside the door, with a steadying breath, she knocked.

Principal Richman had been busying himself with… the epitome of a headache. And by that, he meant the mountain of paperwork dominating his desk like Ghengis Khan. The height of one stack reached his chest and yet, he could already predict that reading the first page would reduce his patience to shambles.

Some local shops and businesses were demanding a spike in funding, despite his vehement and frequent reminders that their revenue was completely none of his concern. It never would be. All that mattered was his school and providing the bright minds of this generation with top quality education. "Leeches everywhere I go," he sighed tiredly.

However, just as Principal Richman was about to crack open another demand from God knows who, a knock drew his attention. A shaky one, at that. Brow pinching, he removed his reading glasses and called out evenly, "Enter."

Given permission, Nora twisted the knob and pushed the door inward, stepping past the threshold with something of an awkward air. Even being a grown woman, and working as a teaching assistant, there was still something so uncomfortable and intimidating about going to the principal's office.

"...I'm so sorry to interrupt. D-do you have a minute?" She asked, knotting her quaking fingers together in front of her under the ruse of smoothing out her floral-patterned skirt. She didn't wait for a response, knowing full well he wouldn't have told her to come in if he didn't have the time. He wasn't, after all, one to mince words, from what she gathered, "...I was just hoping it would be alright if I took a half-day, today? I know it's short notice, but I think maybe I'm coming down with something or… I don't know… I'm just not feeling well."

Nora's trembling was impossible to miss, especially so while under Principal Richman's scrutiny. The tiniest whiff of discomfort or anxiety, and the sirens in his mind were bound to erupt into action like an active volcano. Regardless, the woman seemed frazzled enough as it was, so he would at least adopt a non-threatening tone.

Well… not as if he usually wielded a threatening one, but the aversion to eye contact from his faculty was painfully obvious. He never intended to establish the reputation that he did, but it seemed to work well in the case of his employees' performance.

"I see," he hummed lowly, fingers drumming against his desk as he stared into Nora's very soul, expression contemplative. Then, he leaned forward, hands woven together tightly. Firmly. "Define not feeling well? I don't mean to prod, but you've never requested this before and there were times when you tried to walk in here with a worrisome fever." An exhausted chuckle escaped him, though it was short lived.

Damn her work ethic… Nora knew he was right, and arguing with the man was pointless. Despite the pounding in her skull, she knew on any given day she could've and probably would have worked through the migraine. Today, however, it wasn't how she felt physically that was the problem…

"...I think I'm getting a migraine." She answered, a little weak in conviction, before a small sigh escaped, "...Just… just a rough night. I didn't sleep well, and I think maybe it's just catching up to me. I'm sorry, I know that's a crappy excuse, I just…" Trailing off, she lowered her gaze, "Sorry. This… this was stupid. I… I can finish out the day. It's fine."

"Not at all," Richman man, not a beat after the apologizes started spilling out of Nora like a broken faucet. He studied the files before him once more, before pushing the mountains aside and rising from his desk. He circled around it and gave pause to proudly adjust his name plaque, a lovely plate of bronze with his title engraved it in exquisite cursive font. His pride and joy--this school was his life and that included the well being of everyone within it.

Richman buried his hands deep into the pockets of his trousers, only to sweep one hand out towards the door once more. "Walk with me? I need to share a word with you. And show you something."

As Richman rose, Nora tugged absently at her cardigan sleeves, taking half a step back to give the man clearance. Her eyes flickered to the plaque, and on any other day she might've been able to appreciate it for what it was - a symbol of a man who lived his job - but that particular moment, all she could think of was the same plaque on the desk at her high school… and how many times she had sat there, thinking about what a disappointment she would be to her parents…

Clearing her throat as he spoke, Nora gave a small, terse nod, "...Of course. Lead the way."

The door opened politely for Nora, letting her exit first before Richman followed right behind. He walked idly next to the woman, just relishing in the sheer amount of life and youth and promise that filled the halls like sweet oxygen. It never failed in persuading a soft grin to grace his lips, though to most it appeared smug and self righteous. No matter, he was well aware of where his emotions lied.

"So," he started nonchalantly, "I don't want to assume anything about you, Nora. I hate assuming. So I must ask… Are you familiar with some of our school traditions? The Theodore-Richman Outstanding Teacher Award, at that?"

As she started forward, keeping in step beside Richman, she swallowed a wave of uneasiness, giving a small shake of her head. She had been there a few months, but she'd yet to familiarize herself with every aspect of the school…

"I'm sorry, no. I don't remember anything about it in the standards guide, anyway."

Richman nodded, having expecting the response. "Fair enough. I should look into adding that; it's the school's most celebrated ceremony, after all," he said. A few more moments of walking and a turn down the third grade hall lead them to their destination. A shelf covered the entire left wall, two out of three rows completely filled with reward plaques, an individual picture belonging to each consecutive year. Principal Richman stared upon the rewards like an international relic, a certain twinkle of pride and admiration in his eyes.

"Tell me, Miss Nora--what do all these men and women have in common?"

Looking at the wall, Nora felt a twinge of frustration brewing. Between the pounding in her skull and the sudden PTSD flashbacks to her father reminding her 'greatness is rewarded', while he shredded her twenty-page history essay because it 'wasn't Trudeaux quality', she wasn't in any particular mood for guessing games…

"Well, sir, I'd imagine it's more than just that they taught here. My guess is they were exemplary… went above and beyond?"

"I appreciate excellence and devotion to providing a quality education. That much is obvious," Richman said, "However, that is not the only requirement for this reward. You see, Miss Nora… These faculty members were loved by their students; the votes are strictly in the children's hands, not ours." He pointed at a random portrait, which presented the bright and optimistic smile of a young female teacher. "Some brought a certain… light to the classroom. Something airy enough that made our kids feel like they could breathe easy." Then, he pointed to another. This one was a male of clear Asian American descent; despite his clean cut and otherwise professional apparel, a certain warmth emitted from his tight-lipped smile. "While others instilled an unshakable faith in our kids, truly cementing the concepts of teamwork and perseverance. The idea that everyone has something valuable to bring to the table. But this one?"

He pointed at yet another portrait. For the briefest moment, something solemn flickered in Richman's eyes but he quickly smothered the emotion. "Ah, yes… Mr. Thulman. One of our most loved, by students and faculty alike. Unlike you, Miss Nora, he was… a sloth-like fellow. Slacked in certain areas and yet, incredibly enough, his students excelled under his guidance. Flourished, even. It's still a shame to this very day that he retired so early…"

Richman cleared his throat and gave Nora his attention once more. "I'm unaware of how long you intend to work with us, but I can assure you, with the amount of care you show for these kids? Your picture will show up on that shelf soon enough."

Blinking, Nora's focus shifted as Richman began to explain the process. In truth, hearing that it was the student body who decided was a shocking revelation, in and of itself… but to think it had more to do with connections and less with academic prowess was downright shocking. Eyeing each portrait more carefully, she allowed only a flicker of momentary shock to cross her expression at his next words.

"Y-you… Wow. That's… I mean. That'd be quite an honor. Not sure how much I'd deserve it. I just want them to have a better experience than I ever did. Just want them to feel… worthwhile." Chuckling lightly, Nora looked up at the man beside her, "If you're trying to convince me not to take a half-day though, you're doing an excellent job…"

Richman was patient, silently waiting for the woman to gather her wits and respond. Most teaching assistants he had met in the past shared similar reactions to the so-called Teachers Hall of Fame. He offered a warm chuckle of his own, shooting her a sideways glance from his peripherals that could've been mistaken for something lighthearted, but it was still hard to tell. A contemplative hum rumbled in his chest. "I assure you that I have no clue what you're talking about, Miss Nora. I just wanted to show off a bit."

Richman paused a moment, this time with a genuine breed of thoughtfulness. "In all seriousness, Miss Nora, I'm trying to prove a point here… Whatever preposterous doubts you have in your position or work ethic or… whatever it is, I'd rather you didn't. Because they're untrue. And," he shot her a knowing look, "Once you're ready to give me the real reason for your obvious disturbance, I'll be waiting."

"Show off, hmm?" With a small smirk, Nora scoured the portraits again, "And how many times did you make the wall, Mr. Richman?"

The tone shuffled back to business at hand, however, and Nora's cheeks reddened slightly at the less than subtle implication of his words. She's never been much for drama club… and not least of all because she was a horrendously bad actress.

And maybe he had a point. Maybe half of the reason she felt so horrible was because she hasn't voices it. Maybe out loud, she could hear the ridiculousness… let it go.

"...W-were you there? Last night. The block party? I didn't see you, but it was all pretty crowded…"

"Ah, yes--the moment I'm caught in the web of hypocrisy," Richman sighed while rubbing the back of his neck; sitting hunched over his desk all day was far from helpful to his spine. "Unfortunately, my demeanor doesn't exactly… settle well with the children." He offered a brief shrug of the shoulder, letting the momentary disappointment roll off his back like water. It was something he'd come to accept ages ago. There was no use in letting it bother him now.

Upon hearing her question, he blinked curiously down at the woman, before an inkling of realization entered his visage. The man exclaimed a soft "right" under his breath, nodding to himself all the while. "I wasn't. Parties aren't exactly for me, even if it's Moss Creek tradition. I've heard stories, however. Something to do with a fire and such?"

"Ah. Yeah… It's not easy being the Straight Man. But without people like you, things tend to fall apart pretty quickly. My favorite teacher? Only one I liked, really, was a strict old woman from Alabama. She wasn't kind or funny… but she loved us and she wanted us to have the best education we could. I don't think people appreciate structure as much as they should. But then, I'm pretty hypocritical myself. Wasn't exactly the poster child for that sort of thing, growing up."

With a small frown, she glanced over her shoulder, uneasiness suddenly awake again, bouncing wildly around her stomach, "...You didn't miss much. It's just… something odd happened. Towards the end of the night. Me and a few buddies… we were hanging out near where the band parked their van and while they were packing up, they dropped one of the crates. I… I heard something..." Hands rolling together, knotting into each other with a white-knuckled concentration, Nora swallowed hard, "...I don't think they were transporting instruments."

"I don't exactly expect most children to be," Richman said, his tone a tad lighter than before with a hint of polite gratitude, "The certain structure I implore is… learned. I'm well aware of that. You grow into it, some more so than others. So I can't bring myself to complain terribly." He cracked a tired grin. "Especially when I'm looking over students no older than twelve." Regardless, he had taken Nora's little story to heart and vaguely wondered if he had an instructor like that. A favorite of his… Well, not really. He liked most of them and never really hated one--favoritism just wasn't an option in his mind.

However, his thoughts slammed into a brick wall when Nora's anxiety visibly spiked again, and he couldn't help but frown curiously. "Then… I suppose they could've held other music supplies? Amplifiers, perhaps? I'm failing to understand why that would bother you."

"That's the thing… I was in orchestra for most of my life. I know what those things sound like. This was different. And they… they were antsy. Paranoid, almost. When we tried to help, they got angry. Like they didn't want anyone poking around." Biting at her lip, Nora focused on one of the portraits, her mind racing as the words came out, "I think it was a body… No. I… I'm pretty sure it was."

"You…" At first, he seemed to have a reply at the ready, only for hesitation to seize him and he clamped his mouth shut. A few moments of silence hung between them, Richman's mind replaying Nora's concerns over and over in his head, hoping that surely he must've missed something. Surely.

But he didn't.

She… genuinely believed in this.

Finally, a sigh escaped the principal and he rubbed his jaw, feeling a headache of his own peeking over the horizon. "Well, perhaps a half day is in need after all. You did mention that you're not feeling well?"

"...Oh God." Hands unfurling, she rubbed her face for a moment, "Oh God. You think… You think I'm nuts, don't you. I shouldn't have… God. I sound crazy. I know I do. Trust me. I know. But I also can't… I can't shake it. This feeling. I know what I heard. The first time, I thought maybe I'd just… but when it flipped again…" Dropping her arms to her sides, she grimaced, "If I just knew there was nothing to worry about. Is… is there anyone missing? Anyone who didn't come home last night?"

Richman's eyes widened ever so slightly, displaying the most emotion he's had so far in their conversation as he warily watching her unravel and pull herself together all at once… Had he been merciless with her schedule as of recently? Demanding too much of her for an assistant? Or did he miss something else entirely? Cautiously, the principal placed both hands on the woman's shoulders and tried to adopt the most reassuring tone he could muster, "Nora? Breathe… We're in the hallway. I didn't mean to frazzle your nerves nor imply that you sound crazy; it's just… a difficult pill to swallow."

He dropped his hands, opting to fold his arms instead while tightening his jaw in thought. Considering her words further. There was no faking this woman's distress, so he highly doubt she was lying, but he couldn't bring himself to accept the notion of kidnapping. Or worse. "I'm honestly unsure. My home is located rather far from the cul-de-sac, so rumor travels slowly for me. I suppose I could…" A pause, the conflict clear in his visage, before he heaved another sigh of defeat. His eyes briefly fluttered shut, then snapped open again. "I will consult the authorities, if that'll help. They tend to work more… diligently if I pressure them enough. How does that sound?"

"Oh my God. That… yes. Thank you. That would be… If I just knew there was nothing to worry about, I could just forget about it." It had to be nothing. She wanted, desperately, to think it was nothing. But without information, all she could do was speculate.

"Would…" Taking a lengthy exhale, she looked up again, "Would you mind calling them, now? It's just… the sooner I can put this behind me, the better…"

"I will." Richman was quick to comply, if only because he was a tad eager to settle the woman down and avoid the off chance of a student or teacher overhearing their conversation. "But this is… potentially sensitive content, Nora. And one I'd rather not make public at my school. So, I'm now asking you this," A hint of authority entered his tone, the wall of cement steadily rising over him from all sides, "You refrain from speaking of this, alright? I don't want this flooding my school with so many young ears around. And… I need you to take that half day. I'm aware of what I said before, but your nerves are clearly shot. I can't have that on the clock. As for the call; I promise you, I will do so the very moment I'm back in my office."

A heavy pause.

"Do we understand one another?"

Nodding firmly, Nora managed a weary, nervous smile, "Trust me… I wasn't even planning on telling you. I know how it sounds, Mr. Richman, and I'm not trying to start the crazy-train rumors." Teeth pinching her cheek, she looked up to meet his gaze, "You… you'll call me? As soon as you know anything?"

Richman matched her gaze resolutely. "Of course I will. I have all of your contacts and I am a man of my word. Now…" His posture straightened, before he switched over to adjusting his tie as well. "You should take whatever's left of lunch period; the last thing you need is an empty stomach on top of this."

Chuckling dryly, Nora shook her head, "Now you sound like my mother…" Pausing, she grimaced lightly, "Not… not that you remind me of my mother. Anyway. I will. Thank you. I'll have my cell on me… Please, just… call me right away. Even if it's nothing."

A hint of surprised colored the principal's features. "Your mother… I wish I could say that's the first time I heard such a thing." Not that he couldn't understand the sentiment; he was well aware of his occasional tendency to… fret. In a maternal manner. That was the best way he could describe the pesky habit. Clearing his throat, he managed to flash Nora one last smile. "Even if it's nothing," he echoed, if not with the tiniest nuance of amusement, "Of course. Duly noted."

"Thanks… Really. I know how all this sounds and I appreciate this." Smile warming just slightly, Nora reached out a hand to cup the man's forearm briefly, before letting it drop back to her side, "I'll talk to you later."

For the briefest moment, his gaze strayed to the touch, before forcing himself to focus on Nora once more. It wasn't exactly a gesture he was used to, but Richman took it in stride and merely nodded. "That we will, Miss Nora." The moment she started to leave, he turned to take in the shelf once more, expression distant and nostalgic.

TAG | collab with @Mobley Eats

Collab, Part II | Interactions: Principal Richman and Nora @Elle Joyner

Nora would have liked to go straight back to the classroom, get her things, enjoy her lunch and head home to rest. She would have liked to say that for once in her life, she was going to take someone's good advice to heart… That she had no intention of driving her paranoia deeper to root, allowing her mind to wander too far, too extremely…

She would have liked to…

But she was never much good at any of that.

Instead, after collecting her things and putting her cell phone on its highest volume, Nora left the elementary school and crossing the bridge back in the direction of the block party, she found herself returning to the spot the van had parked the night prior with all the folly and dangerous curiosity of a Nancy Drew wannabe.

For twenty minutes, she wandered back and forth around the area, with little to show for her paranoid efforts besides skid marks and a twitch in her left eye. She needed to go home. She needed to curl up in bed with a BLT (nevermind she couldn't EAT bacon) and reruns of bad reality TV and forget everything.

"What are you doing, Nora…" She muttered, kicking a rock across the pavement. Her eyes followed its course before they spotted something else and for a solid second or two, she couldn't quite comprehend what she'd seen, before her heart plummeted into her stomach with all the grace of a fat man cannonballing off the highdive. Dropping down to her hands and knees, she stared at the specks, horror and sick satisfaction twisting, mingling.

"No way… No freaking way… No, no, no…" Digging out her cellphone, hands quivering worse than before, though this time with no correlation to the caffeine, she opened the camera and snapped as many pictures as her anxious digits could manage in the span of those few seconds. Rising again, mind racing, Nora flipped through her contacts.

She wasn't crazy. She wasn't. And she wasn't going to let this roll off her back. Finding Richman's number, she pressed the button to dial.

The principal in question had just peeled himself away from the shelf and entered his office the moment a beep filled the room. He quickly shut the door behind him and reached out to press the button, his secretary's voice crackling through the speaker.

"Principal Richman? You have a call from Miss Nora Trudeaux. Should I let it through and have her take a message--"

"Let her through," he interrupted, only to grimace a moment after with guilt. "Please. And thank you." Richman pressed answer and raised the phone to his ear. "Nora? That was rather fast--are you alright?"

It took everything in Nora's power, as the secretary answered, not to explode in a burst of panicked frenzy. The poor woman wasn't responsible for what was happening, and it wouldn't bode well for the whole 'Nora's crazy' aspect of circumstances. She held her breath, waiting on hold, before the voice on the other end of the line changed to that of a more familiar quality.

And every semblance of control released in a sharp breath, "No, no, I'm really not...I know you told me to go home. And I wanted to, I did. But I didn't, and I… Oh, God… There's blood! On the ground where the van was parked last night! Where the crate tipped over. I'm not crazy, Mr. Richman… Someone was in that box!"

Richman didn't immediately respond.

All that could be heard over the phone was an incomprehensible curse under his breath, another pause, then the click of a lock. Followed soon after by rustling--he was peeking through the blinds. Everything about this just doubled--no, quadrupled on the worrisome scale and an iota of Nora's anxiety was steadily creeping up his spine. "You're absolutely certain it's blood? Not… some remnant of punch from last night's party or…?" He hated the amount of hope leaking into his tone, praying that Nora was just jumping the gun or letting her paranoia run away from her.

There was no way something so sinister was going on in Moss Creek.

"...I took pictures of it. I'm sure. I'm so sure…" Pinching the bridge of her nose, Nora looked at the tire streaks on the pavement. They stretched out onto the road, but faded after a few feet, where the pavement darkened and the main street began, "The box… It had breathing holes in it. I think they were alive. I… I should have said something. Last night. I should've said something. What if… what if something horrible's happened…"

"Email them to me immediately. I'll be sure to send them straight to the authorities." Richman gathered as much willpower as he could to keep his voice steady; he would let himself sit in silent shock after gnashing his teeth at MCPD. However, a delayed realization struck him, and he was quick to pounce on the obvious regret and fear swallowing Nora whole. "Hey, listen to me. Do not place a single ounce of blame or obligation upon yourself. We still have time. Something can be done. I just… I need you to worry more about your own safety."

Already shifting the phone to speaker as she tapped the photos into an email text, her mind raced over what she had seen and discovered, over what the possibilities might mean. As he spoke, she only half comprehended what he was saying, the twisting, gnawing fear in the pit of her stomach turning acidic in her throat.

Her own safety.

"...It… it wasn't just me. Fox… and Russ. They were there, too. Do… do you think…" Swallowing the lump pressing against her larynx, she shut her eyes for a moment, returning the phone to her ear, "...Oh God. I'm gonna be sick. Are we in danger? What… what if… Maybe I should call. If I get involved in whatever this is…"

"Stop," Richman muttered tightly, "No more thinking from you. All I need you to do is stay away from that area and avoid interacting with any potentially suspicious parties. Do you hear me? Your friends will be fine, because I refuse to let this develop into anything else and risk turning someone else into a victim." Shaking. His hand was shaking. Goddammit… Nothing about this boded well with him.

Biting the inside of his cheek, the principal rummaged through his desk drawers and retracted the origins of his stress relief. He let the item sit in his hands, focusing on the texture and the comfort it brought him. This was fine. Everything was fine.

"Everything will be just fine, Nora." His eyes hardened. "Like I said, I'm a man of my word, and I can handle contacting the authorities. You need to breathe, be vigilant, and keep sending evidence my way. That's your role in all of this."

"...I'm sorry. You're right. I'm sorry… Thank you, for looking into this. For believing me…" It would be fine. He would contact the authorities, and they would get to the bottom of all of this, and in a few days, hours even, it would blow over and be nothing but water under the bridge. She was overreacting - letting the lack of sleep get to her. Whatever was happening, it couldn't be as bad as she imagined. This was a small, sleepy town and there had to be an explanation for everything she'd seen.

"...You're right." She repeated with a nod, "I sent the photos. I'm gonna go home. Let me know as soon as you contact them. Please… And Mr. Richman… be careful. I dunno what this is, but… just be careful."

"Don't apologize," Richman sighed, his tone softening once more with the onset of guilt, "Just… keep what I've said in mind." Then, he paused, letting Nora's plea sink in and marinate in his thoughts. "...You be careful too, Nora. Go home. Get some rest. Bye." Without waiting for a response, he hung up and ran a hand down his face, a heavy sigh warming his palm.

This was such a mess.

Tags: @KatSea , @CloudyBlueDay

ELISAGE

COLLAB WITH @Mobley Eats

It was a slow, sleepy Sunday, the sun high in the sky, brilliant and warm. Afternoon broke cloudless, and before her shift had even ended, Elisage had one hand untying her apron, the other gathering the take-out she'd had set aside for her a short while earlier. Clocking out, she left T&Js and stepping out into the fresh air and incandescent brightness, she breathed in deeply. Shorter shifts were always a benefit to her, given the constant ache in her leg, but today her gratitude had less to do with her physical drama and far more to do with what she hoped was another step in bridging that gap between loneliness and companionship. She'd sat and talked with Anton for a good while after the fireworks faded, and while she was sure she was admittedly overeager, there was something so entirely… enthralling about the concept of having a friend. Not just a friend. A friend her mother and father couldn't buy off, or control, or scare away.

It might've been desperation - it was true she could feel it crack like a whip when he'd first sat down beside her - but she was determined not to let it fade into oblivion before she had the chance to wreck it all on her own.

Or, you know… not do that…

It was a short bike ride to the graveyard, and with the takeout in the basket of her yellow Schwinn, Sage approached the sprawling field of markers and tombstones, she slowed to a stop, and hopped off. It occurred in that moment, rather than earlier when the plan made sense, that she had no blasted idea where Anton could be found… and standing beside the brightly colored bicycle with a styrofoam container clasped in her hands, she felt her cheeks flush with sudden and belligerent embarrassment.

"...God, sometimes, Sage… you're a total idiot."

The weather was beautiful. Anton could admit that much. Besides, it wasn't as if he was blind to the more positive aspects of life; rather, he lacked the proper personality tools to appreciate it in full. That and he lacked the free time to do so.

Freaking cemeteries and their stupidly dense soil.

Sweat rolled down Anton's face, arm muscles tensing as he reeled the shovel back and jammed it into the dirt, a grimace resting naturally on his lips. His boss had been breathing down his neck as of recently about picking up his digging pace, as if the woman expected the free slots to be occupied soon. Whatever--she was nothing short of creepy. Not mean, per say, but overly fickle and fretting all over the damn place. It gave Anton whiplash.

Regardless, he'd managed to make decent progress, standing before hole number five of the morning and having many more to go… "Kill me," he muttered. Then paused, just taking a moment to mentally scold himself for that horrifically ironic joke, and went straight back to shoveling.

Well, almost. And yet, he froze part way as the crunching of leaves and dying detritus hit his ears. He squinted… The gentle creak of wheels, that couldn't have been anything else. Anton didn't really care about people visiting the cemetery; they were likely paying respects to a tombstone somewhere. As long as they didn't get in the way of his work, then everything was fine. But still… this was an excuse to stop torturing his body, if only momentarily.

Slowly, Anton paced in the direction of the noise, his boots slapping noisily against withering grass and thriving flora, before circling around the corner of Moss Creek Cemetery's center Crypt and slowing to a stop at the familiar sight. His brow arched, if only slightly.

"Uh…" He raised the shovel awkwardly. "Elisage? Hey. You…" He looked around. "You lost?"

She'd been so engrossed in her momentary internal debate that Sage nearly leapt clean of her skin when a voice outside of her head interjected her self deprecating thoughts. Spinning, she caught sight of the familiar face and for a little more than half an awkward second, she couldn't remember why she'd come in the first place.

How stupid was she? He probably HAD lunch already. Hell… maybe he didn't eat lunch? What if he was a vegetarian. Or a vegan? Or one of those people that was grossly offended by the sight of styrofoam… What if he thought she was hitting on him? Was that even a thing? Did people bring other people lunch to hit on them?

Cheeks bright, Sage cleared her throat when the gap between words became sufficiently uncomfortable enough that even she noticed it, "...H-hey. No! No, not lost. I uh…" Scratching the back of her neck, she looked down and at the same time, held out the container, "I thought maybe you ate. .. Ah! No. I mean, of course you eat. Everyone eats. What I meant was, I thought you might want to eat… Um… Payback, for the sweater, you know?"

Whatever stealthiness Anton tried to adopt into his expression, all of it flew straight out of the window. Emotions played across his face like a Hollywood debut film; first came the bubbling confusion, then it shifted to concern, vaguely wondering if Sage would remember to breathe anytime soon. Finally, his countenance settled on pleasant surprise, borderline disbelief. He eyed the styrofoam container in her hands a moment, finding himself speechless while trying to register everything that just happened.

Then a huff escaped. Perhaps a chuckle, but it consisted of nothing more nor less than a breath. The corner of his lips quirked with amusement. "I mean… thanks, but," cautiously, he accepted the container from Sage while jamming the shovel into the ground, allowing it to stand upright, "I don't think being a decent human being needs payback or whatever… Especially when it leads you to a graveyard." And yet, he couldn't help the way his gaze searched for any visible signs of fatigue or hobbling. He almost felt like an asshole for doing it. "You don't wanna sit or anything?"

Chuckling herself, a soft, nervous sound, Sage shrugged, "I don't mind. I think decency should be paid back, you know? It's something that ought to be natural, but now adays? It's kinda rare, and, well, I guess I just think that's something we oughta reward." Shoulders bouncing in a shrug, she looked around, "Don't mind the graveyard, too much, either."

Blinking, her eyes twitched back and she laughed lightly, "Now I sound like a crazy person who writes creepy Harry Potter fanfics. I just mean cause it's… well, it's quiet, and kinda peaceful." Pausing, she gave a small nod, "I could sit, yeah."

Anton bit the inside of his cheek. He… probably shouldn't mention that Shilia used to read and write Harry Potter fanfic like crazy. It was for the best anyway. He mirrored Sage's shrug. "Well, guess I won't turn down free food but uh… no more IOU's or whatever between us. Just gets too hard to keep up after a while," he muttered.

At Sage's agreement to sit, Anton nodded and approached the Crypt. The steps leading up to it were surprisingly clean and vibrant in the sunlight, radiating a tender sense of vitality. A pair of squirrels chittered, perched near the sloping roof of it and staring down at them curiously. Anton didn't pay them any mind and seated himself on a bench located right next to the eloquent piece of architecture.

Then paused, the gears in his head turning.

Fall had done a thorough job of decorating Moss Creek with fallen leaves and twigs, and the benches around the cemetery weren't any different. Anton stood up and took a moment to brush the surface clean, yet his face pinched, unsatisfied with the halfhearted attempt. He peeled off his uniform jacket and draped it along the half of the seat that he wasn't occupying and finally sat back down. "Sorry," he said, eyes trained on opening the container, "Shit was gonna bother me."

"...See, here's the problem with you…" Sage started, smiling gingerly as she sank down next to him, "You say stuff like 'no more IOUs' and you don't think being decent deserves paybacks, and then you go full 19th Century on me, and expect me not to be impressed?" The smile folded back into a grin, and leaning back, she sighed, "I'm gonna do my best, cause you asked, but somebody needs to tell you, you ain't just ordinary 'decent'."

Looking up into the tree overhead at the squirrels bouncing back and forth between the branches, she couldn't help but find a funny correlation with her own thoughts, "Thing is… I know I haven't been here that long, but… I guess I've been finding it harder than I expected, to meet people."

The problem with him…

Anton could admit that maybe, just maybe, his heart had a tendency to work much faster than his brain. The moment he heard Sage's initial words, a hollow dread gnawed at the base of his gut, shoveling away at his insides far better than he could ever do on a shift. Did he fuck up already? Christ--this was why Shilia shouldn't have pushed him to "make friends". It never turned out right. It never…

But then Sage kept talking. And Anton kept listening. And somewhere along the way, his faith in his own intelligence took a solid blow. Way to assume like a dumbass, dumbass. He just barely held in a scoff, opting instead for focusing on Sage. "I mean, I wouldn't say 19th century… And I don't know if that's a good thing or not, but I'll deal with that." Not just ordinary decent? Well, judging by the lack of malice in her tone, he would tentatively guess that she meant it in a complimenting way, though he failed to understand how.

It was fine. Screw it. At least she was doing most of the talking, because he couldn't uphold conversation to save his life.

As he finally popped the container open to sneak a peek, a response escaped him swifter than force of habit. "Meeting new people is always hard." He glanced her way, the default dullness of his eyes becoming more prominent. "They're not you so… It's a lot of guessing and praying."

"It's a good thing." She confirmed, with a light nod, "And pretty sure."

Pausing, she watched a squirrel's limber leap up to a higher branch, frowning lightly, "You're not wrong… It's definitely not something I relish in…" A brow quirked, Sage canted her head slightly to the side, giving off a small glint of confusion, "They're not me?"

Anton matched her head tilt and confusion, to the point of where they mirrored one another like the squirrels up above. "Well… yeah. They're not. You're not me. Some guy on the sidewalk isn't me. No one's… me. So I'm going in blind." However, after a moment of thought, the tiniest hint of epiphany struck him and his features smoothed over with the sentiment. "Well I mean… I guess it was a little easier with you than the others but… still. That concert wasn't helping."

"I think I know what you mean." With a small laugh, Sage leaned back again, "...I um… where I grew up, it wasn't exactly like here. There was nothing small about it. Not the town, or the houses… or the egoes. I had friends, but they were never… there was never really any sense that they actually cared beyond what…" Biting her lip, sitting up a little, Sage leaned down to rub her leg, "Beyond what I give them. When I say a quiet Sunday back home was a gala event on my parent's yacht, you might get the picture. People aren't exactly inclined to be real with you when they look at you and see dollar signs. Part of why I left, I guess."

Anton had given up on shielding his emotions around Sage quite some time ago. He… definitely didn't see her in that light; as someone who lived so lavishly and lived weekends on yachts or attending galas. She seemed so… well, he couldn't place the word, but it was the opposite of what he associated with rich snobs. But, then again, he was currently sitting on top of a hypocritical fire, so he banished the surprise altogether. "...Then they weren't friends. I mean, doesn't sound like it to me, anyway. Or, wait, I don't have room to say that…?" Was that considered rude? Maybe? Maybe not? Fuck it--he'd already opened his mouth at this point, so there was no going back. "But uh, yeah. Screw them. They should've seen Elisage, nothing else. Well, Elisage, the dork who can't let go of IOU's."

For the first time in a while, something cheeky touched his smile, but it vanished far quicker than it came, painfully short-lived. That expression felt weird on his face.

Nose wrinkling, a laugh escaped, and covering her mouth, Sage shook her head, "I can't believe you just called me a dork… And I'd be able to let them go if you'd stop being such an ama--" Pausing, she sat up slightly, and as her words trailed off, her expression sobered, "Woah… Did you… do you hear that?"

Her gaze shifted then, past Anton and towards the crypt, "...What the hell…?"

Oh--he made her laugh? Holy shit. Anton didn't think he was capable of pulling that off with anyone (well, if he didn't count his sister, but he was well aware that she tossed out way more pity laughs than genuine ones). However, the triumph slammed into a brick wall upon watching Sage's sudden shift in mood, her question pulling his lips into a frown. "Uh…" He strained his ears, but all he could pick up were those same squirrels skittering about and overpowering the distant chirp of blue jays. "No? What am I supposed to be hearing?" he asked.

Rising, almost instinctively, she took a step closer to the steps of the crypt "Someone was… Or… at least…" Blinking, her eyes shifted back to Anton, "...Can animals get inside these?" She asked, gesturing to the wrought iron in front of the crypt door, "I swear to God… I just heard someone screaming."

By this point, lunch was completely forgotten.

Brow creasing, Anton set the container aside and followed Sage, then folded his arms. His gaze flickered back and forth from Sage to the crypt. Then back to Sage. The perplexity radiating from him was so palpable that one could slice into it with a butter knife. "I mean, small ones, yeah. Sometimes I gotta scare off the squirrels or a garden snake, but that's about it…" But then Sage mentioned screams.

The concern doubled.

Cautiously, Anton raised a hand towards Sage and pressed the back of it to her forehead. "And you didn't… catch anything on the way here? Right?"

Barely registering the touch, Sage shook her head, "N-no… I… I know I sound crazy, Anton, but… but I know what I just heard. Or at least… I don't know what else that could've been." Looking over to him, her eyes were laced with deep, weighted concern, "...Someone was screaming."

Anton pulled away from her, struck with confliction the moment she pinned him down with that look. Christ--there was no faking that level of emotion. Not that he expected her to be lying, but even then, whatever she apparently heard, it rang as a powerful truth in her reality. Sighing, he snatched up the shovel and glanced wearily at the crypt. "Okay… I don't hear whatever you're going on about but… we can poke around, if that'll make you feel better."

He prayed it would. That concern in her eyes damn near killed him on the spot.

Slowly, he started circling the crypt and prodding at the walls with the shovel, waiting for something to happen or react. He kinda felt like an idiot, but he figured his dignity could take a backseat. Just this once. Upon looping around to the back of the structure, he scrutinized the gathering of shrubbery and vines crawling up the wall, deeply intertwined with aged concrete.

And then he squinted.

Something seemed… off. "...Hey, Sage. You see that?" He pointed at the anomaly with his shovel. Dead in the center of the back wall, a family of vines and leaves held an unnatural curve between them, as if swerving around an empty spot. Nothing about it really stood out to Anton, but he couldn't for the life of him understand why the foliage had such an odd formation.

Following close, Sage peered past Anton's shoulder at the unusual mass of greenery. Without the sinking weight of dread in her stomach, she might've found a logical explanation for it, but then and there, it seemed more sinister than a bald man in a dark suit, stroking a white cat. Slowly, Sage stepped a little closer to the anomalous vegetation, "...That's definitely not norm--"

Pausing, suddenly, Sage swung back to Anton, gesturing to the spot she'd just stepped on, "Come stand here, a sec."

Anton blinked. "Uh… okay?" He didn just as Sage asked and waltzed over, his grip on the shovel as tight as ever. He had no qualms about cracking anyone in the face with it-- "What the Hell?" He stared down at the soil beneath his feet, then gently shuffled from foot to foot, testing the surface. His frown deepened. "...This feels way softer than it should be," he muttered, a hint of nerves bubbling up his spine, "And this isn't from recent burial, either. I know what that feels like, this isn't it… Wouldn't make sense to put something right behind this crypt anyway."

Anxiety crept along her spine like ivy, and absently, she shifted slightly closer to the man with the shovel, giving a terse nod with no small sense of discomfort. Easing forward, she crouched in front of the strange spot, reaching out a hand to touch the stonework, "...Something weird, here, too… Like…" Swallowing, her eyes drifted back to Anton, "Like something hit it…"

Rising, dusting her hands off, she turned fully to the gravedigger, "...Can you get inside?"

Anton shook his head, a hint of apology easing into his eyes. "Don't think so. Not right now, anyway. I don't have the keys on me…" Although, now that he was thinking about it, he wondered why his boss was so strict about that as well. She only gave him access to those keys on predesignated work days, but those were few and far in between. Again, Anton tried not to get hung up on the details like that; it just wasn't his place to question it.

But now, he was having second thoughts.

"If I remember right, I'll have to clean this out tomorrow anyway. We… Well," hesitation crawled under his skin, "I don't want to drag you into anything stupid. We're probably being paranoid, right? Assholes sneak into the cemetery and bust up property all the time. That's probably what it is."

"...People screwing around in graveyards for fun don't usually scream for help, Anton." Slightly pale, Sage chewed anxiously at her lip, "...Wh-what if tomorrow's too late? What if someone got hurt or… or locked down there? What if they… need help, now?" She couldn't imagine what a weight that would be, if they discovered something awful the following day. Something they might have prevented, "How pissed would your boss be if those keys went missing?"

Anton's cheeks swelled with a heavy sigh, hands on his hips as he envisioned just how downright livid his boss would be. "...Very pissed. And I'm sugarcoating. Sage, I get what you're saying, I really do, but…" He ran a hand through his short, disheveled mess of hair. "I don't have the slightest clue where she'd have them. When I tell you this woman is secure… it's on an insane level. Something tells me I'm lucky enough to even know she lives in Moss Creek."

As he spoke, he crouched before the wall and raised both hands. Then froze, trapped by crippling caution, before forcing himself to lean in. He pressed his ear to the wall, eyes sliding shut with deep concentration. He hadn't heard any of the screams Sage was talking about. Maybe, just maybe, if he picked up on the sound as well, he'd feel less shitty. And she'd feel less alone about all of this…

Nothing.

Anton's jaw clenched in frustration. He sighed again and pulled away. "This is just… insane." The agitation threatened to swell within him and spill over the edges, but he refused to succumb to a stupid tantrum, especially not in front of Sage. She was shaken up as it was. Stupid… Stupid, stupid, stupid--

In a burst of impulse, he slammed a hand to the wall. Not terribly aggressive, but with a level of impact that stung his palm and would leave behind aches in his skin. The moment contact was made, a noise pierced the air.

A crack. Very subtle. Very small.

Anton stiffened. "...Okay, I didn't hear a scream, but you heard that too, right?"

She didn't need to hear anything. She knew what she'd heard before, even if she wanted, desperately, to be wrong. And she knew even despite the slight twitch of uncertainty in her mind that something about the wall was wrong… Something was off.

"...C-can I see that shovel?" She asked, a little uneasily, "My leg…" She gestured vaguely to it, "Starting to hurt…"

Not thinking much of it, Anton was quick to hand her the shovel, more than willing to assist her problems with balance by any means necessary. "Sure… Do you need to go sit back down?"

"I'm so sorry… and I swear I will pay for it…" She said quickly, vaguely, and then without much warning, Sage gripped the shovel and swung, hard and fast at the wall.

Only to be met by a loud ting and a sharp pain that vibrated up her arms as her sudden momentum was stopped dead, "AUGH! That… did not work the way I needed it to…" She muttered with a grimace, before sheepishly holding the shovel back towards Anton.

Anton's eyes widened as she drove the shovel into the wall, jolting as if he was about to stop her. However, she acted before he could and all he could do was wince at the sound; he could only imagine how much the backlash must've hurt. "Elisage. Why would you-? I could've-? You know what." He accepted the shovel and grounded himself, boots digging into the soft soil. He tensed, then drove the metal head forth with a grunt, instantly shattering off bits and pieces of concrete. "Oh… You weakened it for me. Thanks."

As he chipped off as much of the crumbling structure as he could, something slowly revealed itself to the pair. Where there was once a smooth indention now resided an elaborate crater running several inches deep. Anton squinted and tilted his head, but he couldn't quite tell what in the world could've left behind such a shape. "You know, it'd be great if this day started making some sense," he grumbled.

As the wall gave way, Sage's grimace of pain flickered to appreciation, before evolving into abject confusion. Staring at the gaping crater, she shook her head, "I'd settle for just a little less creepy…"

She might've questioned what she heard, before. Maybe it was an animal, or someone shrieking at their kid in a grocery store, or just her wild imagination… but this? This was too coincidental…

Something terrifying was going on, "...We need to get into this crypt, Anton…"

"I know," he breathed, eyes still trained on the wall and his mind racing. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't conjure up a mental image of the object that could've imprinted itself into the crater. It was driving him insane. "...But it can't be today, Elisage. I'm sorry, but it just can't. I don't…" He held his hands out, almost helpless in the motion. "I don't have access. Tomorrow, I will. Tomorrow, we'll go in and… And maybe bring back up, too. I just don't like any of this."

She wanted to argue. To beg. To plead. Not because she thought it would do anything, but because the idea of not doing anything was so… difficult to accept. She heard a sound that was going to haunt her. A sound she could've gone her whole life never hearing without any difficult. And knowing now that what she'd heard might not be the strangest part of all of this… it was going to linger in the worst way.

But hearing the desperation, she knew Anton could do no more, and she wouldn't put that pressure on him.

Reaching out, she gently cupped her hands to his, giving a brief squeeze, before releasing them again, "I know. It's okay. T-tomorrow. Just… Anton… please… Be careful? Something weird is going on, and I don't like the idea of you being out here alone, right now. Promise you'll be careful?"

Anton nodded, his posture deflating in equal parts relief and guilt. He knew how badly all of this was eating away at Sage's peace of mind. Of course he did. It was so painfully obvious and he definitely shared the sentiment… Dammit. Goddammit. He hated everything about this. Biting the inside of his cheek, Anton nodded and squeezed back right before Sage released him. "Remember how I said… we gotta let the IOU's go? I lied. I owe you to stay safe, so you owe me the same thing." Something bitter lurked in his tone. "And trust me… after tomorrow, I'm not coming back to this job. Something's beyond messed up here and I don't want to be a part of it."

Again, a twitch of discomfort traveled her features. Some friend she was… Two days in and she'd cost him a job. And what if it turned out to be nothing? What if all of this really was just her wild imagination playing games with her head.

But even in her doubt she knew it wasn't. She knew what she'd heard wasn't just real, but sinister, and somehow, she couldn't disagree with his sentiments, "...I'll see you tomorrow." She said instead, and for a moment she hesitated, before pushing onto her toes to give him a brief, tight hug.

Letting go, she turned and made her way carefully down the small incline and back to her bike.

Anton had stiffened up in surprise from the hug, his hands raised and uncertain what to do with them. Unfortunately, his brain was unable to register at an acceptable pace and he found himself unable to return the embrace in time. "Uh, yeah," he muttered while watching Sage leave, the shovel in his grasp once more. "...Tomorrow."

Tomorrow.

He wasn't ready for any of this.

Last edited:
  • OMG
Reactions: KatSea
Break In - Starring Ami @KatSea Simeon @Elle Joyner and Shilia @Mobley Eats

Shilia had never expected the text from Ami and Simeon. The trio made sure to trade numbers with one another after leaving Phil's house, as it was obvious that they'd try to snoop in there again. She just didn't think it would be this soon.

Of course, considering the fact that Jerry would arrive in Moss Creek at any moment…

Their hands have been forced. None of them were terribly keen on taking chances.

Thus, she made sure to wait until Anton was long gone, taking up his day shift at the Graveyard, before crossing the culdesac with Phil's house as the destination in mind. She somewhat hated how obvious she seemed, but no one would expect her, one of the most reclusive neighbors in Moss Creek, to be plotting a breakin. God… she prayed none of them got caught. From the outside looking in, the house seemed to be in the clear, not a single remnant of police activity.

No cautionary yellow tape. No stakeout vehicles. Not a single soul in sight.

Shilia retracted her fail safe--a tiny copy of Night by Elie Wiesel and seated herself on the sidewalk, lingering a few yards to the left of Phil's lawn to keep her location ambiguous, and read as calmly as she could while waiting for the men to arrive.

He'd done stupider things. At the moment, he couldn't exactly bring any to mind, but he knew there had to be an incident somewhere in his past that rivaled their current predicament.

Fact was, they had more questions than answers, and after talking to Ami and discovering that good old Jerry had been released almost as quickly as he'd been arrested, Simeon was pretty eager to figure out just what was really going on in Moss Creek…

Heading for Phil's, Simeon spotted Shilia close to where they had parted ways the night before and approaching, cleared his throat, "So this is insane, right?"

Ami had to admit, he was glad that Azalea had offered to grab them burgers that afternoon, not only his stomach satisfied, but also his nagging conscience (by distracting her with a milkshake and the promise of adorable distractions across the way. It really wasn't hard to rip her attention or to something else). Besides. He didn't want her in this and preferred that if he was gonna dive in head first, she wasn't gonna know about it.

Sticking close to Simeon with his hands lodged into his front pockets, Ami let his eyes flutter close and a nameless tune humming in his head. He...As much as the mystery fascinated him, it horrifed him the same, and he didn't want to think that he and his fellow neighbors stumbled into a murder. That is...at least not according to the Creek's explanation for what occurred. Released. Immediately. The moment Jerry came back to his home Ami was going to ensure Azalea never crossed by…

Simeon's voice shot him back into reality, eyes peeling open to witness Shilia peering through a familiar book. That...that was a real upbringer. His nose scrunched uncomfortably before he shook his head. "No shit, Sherlock." Grinning affectionately, despite the tips of his lips being coated in worry, he shook his head and raked his hands through his hair. "Considering this short window of time we have now...I'm ready to see how much more insane it could possibly get." His brows pinched into a thoughtful scowl. "Er, how exactly are we gonna do this, by the way? I know I'm not too keen on getting something on my record...and having my sister kick my ass for it."

Shilia's gaze snapped up once familiar voices hit her ears, closing the book swiftly and rising again to full height. "Insane is mostly certainly the word," she sighed while reaching behind to pull her hair into a loose ponytail. If they were about to partake in snooping about someone's house (a possible victim of murder, at that), then she'd rather not compromise the entire operation just because she lacked full peripheral vision. She still didn't know how to feel about this entire detective team fiasco, but if there was a chance, no matter how slim, of stopping a murder in its tracks…

She was all in. And if they marched out of this in one piece, Shilia will gladly devote hours of lecturing herself for being so reckless and nosey.

At Ami's question, Shilia gave pause to think, lips rolling between her teeth. "Well… I'm fairly certain that back door's lock is still broken and as for your records…" Shilia tried to fight back a grimace, but she was only half successful. A brief sigh escaped her. "Don't worry about that. I'll be sure to keep it clear." Gods—was that bile or her own distaste rising up the back of her tongue? She couldn't tell.

And it currently didn't matter.

"Well… I-I suppose this is it…" With a monsoon of hesitation in her step, Shilia started heading towards Phil's backyard.

Whatever their conjoined reasoning for the halfcocked plan, Simeon had to hand it to Ami and Shilia. Their convictions were impressive. He probably would've just let the ordeal pass and continued on his merry way, had it not been for those two.

Following after Shilia, Simeon eyed the house with a small frown, "You heard, I'm assuming?" He asked Shilia, glancing briefly over to Ami with a note of frustration he knew the other man shared, "They're letting Jerry loose already…"

"Ah, you know what, fuck it at this point." Ami grumbled under his breath. Honestly, he didn't see the future quite so clearly ahead of him, so he figured hey, if that was the case, might as well have some fun and mayhem before the vision skittered to a heart ending stop. His lips pursed, slowly curling his nails into the depths of his palms to erase the sudden tingle of nerves that came to plague them.

He shook his head in thought, following the lead of Shilia into the backyard. I wonder...Jerry is coming back to his home, but I wonder if he's going to swing by this place of residence. It's possible, considering the security camera, unless that was Phil and not Jerry's idea. In that case...that camera may be useful. I wonder...that would take all day though and I'd rather not have anyone catch us. Then again...I'll suggest it when we are in there and have a better view of the house I guess. Temporarily pushing his thoughts aside, he raced ahead the two, placing his hand around the door knob and giving it a test. "Yeah. Wackjob gonna be traversing the streets. Sort of feel bad about throwing a tire at him now...wonder if he's gonna come back here at all?"

"Yes, I have," Shilia sighed, fighting the urge to run a hand down her face. She still couldn't believe Anton tried to protect her from the news, when it was a waste of effort to begin with. Although the Halverson siblings had only been in Moss Creek for a couple months, it was obvious that rumors traveled incredibly fast.

This place was truly a tight knit community.

"In all honesty, I'd rather not burden my thoughts with it--not right now, at least. For now, figuring out Phil's whereabouts seems more pressing." In comparison to a mentally unstable neighbor coming home within a few hours, that wasn't saying much. At all. But still, Shilia stood by her feelings on the matter. One disaster at a time.

She blinked back to reality when Ami rushed off and she set off into a jog of her own to keep up (albeit a tad clumsily… Gods, she almost tripped twice on her own feet, but hopefully neither men noticed). "Basement is top priority, correct?" she asked while hovering behind Ami and peeking over his shoulder. "If I remember right, Ami, you theorized the camera's feed going down, so… perhaps? I mean, I'm uncertain if there's other specific areas you two wish to investigate…" It wasn't as if Shilia had the slightest clue; the most she could gather as "useful information" was that all the homes in Moss Creek were carbon copies. Architecture-wise, anyway. The same amount of rooms. Two floors. Attic and basement. And so on and so forth.

"Basement seems to be the most likely place for the evil lab or kidnap victims or time machine or whatever nastiness our missing man was into, but maybe we should check out the upstairs, first. I can take the bedroom." Simeon answered, without hesitation, "It's where my cousin Kyle always hid the stuff he didn't want his parents knowing about." With a small, dry chuckle, he started for the staircase, "If you see anything or run into trouble, give a yell. Can't hurl a tire like Ami, here, but I can sure try."

"While I do agree the basement is where we are going to find the most information…" Ami pondered, a sudden formulation coming to mind. If they focused mainly on the basement, it was more than likely that they were going to miss a few things in other rooms. Surely, the security cameras did go downwards, but that didn't necessarily mean it was basement. They had already investigated the attic, so he figured starting up and heading down may have provided some more information. "I think we should investigate other rooms in the house first. If he has an office space or a computer room we may find out where exactly the wires are going, or other clues that may suggest why Jerry attacked him in the first place." Ami hadn't been here long, nor did he know a lot about Phil. But if motive could come into play...there may have been a direction they could follow, an indication as to where Phil was. "We'll split up and investigate the upstairs. To ensure we don't accidentally get ourselves ki- sorry, cliched, we need to make sure we at least stick close. Basement at the end of our journey. Does that sound fair to the both of you?"

Shilia nodded. "Fair indeed. If the layout of these homes are as carbon copy as I believe they are, there shouldn't be much more than a bedroom, guest room, and bathroom upstairs. Ami, I'll," ever so slightly, she scooched closer to the man, but nothing to an odd degree.

She hoped.

"Join you for investigating a room. Simeon may take the other… but we'll be sure to keep the doors open. Just so we can hear one another." There, that sounded reasonably safe and simple. Of course, she had a suspicion that simple wouldn't be a lasting concept in any of their lives. Biting back a sigh, she followed the two men upstairs, each step creaking ominously under their weight and doubling the volume of her heartbeat in her ears.

Once Simeon came upon the bedroom, he would be rewarded a fairly normal sight. Phil's room needed a bit of tidying up, but nothing to a distressing degree. Some clothes were scattered about the floor and the bed was disheveled. Furniture wise, one could see a standard dresser, closet, bedside table with a lamp, and a short stack of ESPN magazines resting on top.

Adjacent to the bed, a closet door beckoned and crossing the room, careful not to disturb anything in view, Simeon pried the louvered door open. Gingerly, at first, Simeon brushed each hanger along the metal bar… A few polos, some jeans… t-shirts (who hangs t-shirts?). Past the shirt bearing the logo to some obscure fishing company, there was a sudden shift, and like finding the wardrobe of another man entire, Simeon found himself rifling through suits. It was the formality that caught him - these weren't merely a few nice things to wear to random wedding receptions or funerals. Browns, beige, white, grey… linen and wool, and a small rack of dress shirts in pressed silks and polyesters. Beside these was a line of colorful ties - stripes, a veritable rainbow in the otherwise neutral toned closet. Shoving one of the suits aside, Simeon caught the sound of a rattle and paused. Apprehensively, he slid the hanger back the other way. Digging into the pocket of one of the lightly colored tan numbers, the found a crumpled handkerchief, and grimacing, pulled his hand free to check the second.

"Oh… Bingo." Pulling out a bottle, Simeon flipped it over to read the label. "P.T. 13A… Fluoxetine… S. Miles..." When he first adopted Navi, her anxiety levels had been through the roof. Life in the city was too loud, too sudden, too much for the poor battered pooch, and while he'd hated the idea of medicating her, it had required a few weeks of Puppy Prozac to get her through the nights… He still had a bottle on a shelf in his apartment, for emergencies.

"...Deep stuff, Phil…" Shaking his head, Simeon backed out of the closet and closed it, turning instead to the small chest of drawers by the bed. In the first was a heap of clothing, balled and shoved in a way that would've made Martha Stewart drop dead on the scene. The second drawer bore much the same disaster and with a grimace, Simeon had to steel himself to tug open the last drawer. This, however, revealed a different treasure beneath the mounds of rumpled t-shirts and socks and cable knit sweaters. Notebook pages were scattered inside - torn from a source. Pulling them out, Simeon smoothed the pages. Each bore frantic, sloppy scribbling - chicken scratch, barely legible and some of it scratched out… but what he could see sent a weight of uncomfortable lead plunging into his stomach.

Can't do this anymo--

No sleep. Can't eat... osing my fucking SHIT!

Gotta quit. Gott... of here befor--

But the kids

FUCK THE KIDS I CAN'T TAKE IT

Fuck fuck fuck no I didn't mean it I love the kids I swear I do I just--

....nk it's working! Makes no f-... sense, but it is.

Maybe I should join her? But fuck...

What happened? When did I get back here? I don't... I don't remember how I got--

There's something on my ba-- the actual fuck did that GET there?? I don't do tat...

Fuck it. I'm not taking anymore. Those fuckers can't make me. It's fucking poison!

Color leaching from his skin, Simeon's legs felt suddenly like jelly. Dropping back onto the edge of the bed, his foot nudged something and bending down, he scooped up what appeared to be a small leather-bound journal. The same page stock the disturbing bursts of notes had come from. Hand twitching over the cover, Simeon gently pried it open.

Skimming through, Simeon read on, shivering as cool dread trickled down his spine. A word caught his attention and freezing, the book nearly fell from his hands at the passage his eyes took in.

I don't know what in the hell Peggy's thinking... but I think I believe her. I wanna. I really do. She knows a lot more than she's letting on, that's for fucking sure, I just don't know if I can trust her. Maybe the kid's just as crazy as she sounds. I don't know. She's got the same tat as me, but... I just need a break from this shit. I'm retiring early. Kicking these pills from hell. Nothing makes any fucking sense, like my head's full of fog nowadays. It's fucked! Fucking fucked!

All I know is... I can't let anybody get ahold of that statue.

Meanwhile, Ami and Shilia entered the second room, which happened to be repurposed as an office space. Despite its insanely neat composition, it was incredibly dusty, so much so that Shilia's nostrils itched with the threat of a sneeze. Aside from this, the air was slightly stale, but unlike the usual musk that came with a human touch.

There was a desk holding a computer and such, a pair of couches pressed in an L shape against the opposite wall, and a long shelf on the east wall, opposite of the one holding the door. There were also books galore, all seemingly history based. Civil War. World War I. All the way back to Alexander the Great. Finally, some… crude artwork and cards were propped against the spines of said books.

"Well… I'm a tad guilty to admit that I didn't expect someone like Phil to be in possession of a vast book collection," Shilia admitted, her voice softening with sheepishness. She took a cautious step into the office, her curious gaze roaming the space and struggling to figure out where to even start.

Ami's nose scrunched the moment he stepped into Phil's offspace. It was...organized. Beyond belief. It reminded him of his prior living arrangement, Wick having snuck into his room on occasion to rearrange his cluttered bookshelf and work desk. Ami would clutter the space in five minutes, where as her work might have taken five hours. A light smile threatened to take over his features, but he quickly smothered whatever amusement that tried to break through. His eyes darted in the direction of the bookshelf, Shilia's words guiding his attention to the cards that laid neatly against the spines.

"Question is how many of these he has read...believe it or not sometimes people keep a shit ton of these bad boys to give an aesthetic appearance...but I don't think he's touched any of these in a while." Ami cautiously made his way to the book case, fingers gingerly plucking a card from its resting place. Prying it open, he felt a sourness built in his chest, nearly causing his heart to jerk against his ribcage. "Shilia, I haven't been here all that long but...was Phil a teacher?" Ami gently placed the card back against its spine, before plucking up a second one. Best Teacher. Vote for Mister Thulman. Decorative, colored designs plastered along the cards. Children's drawings. Remanent of Azalea's when she was young. "That might explain some of the books here, seems like he had quite the adoration from his students…" How in hell did a school teacher aggravate someone to the point of foul play? Considering how his students viewed him, at least from these cards, it didn't seem he was someone to piss someone off.

"Do you know if Jerry worked in education?" He inquired, swallowing down the nausea as he placed the cards back as they were, just in case. He never knew if the police were going to investigate, and for that, he gently took his sleeve and ran it across each card he had plucked up. He directed his attention, then, towards the laptop that laid on his desk. "Here's hoping he doesn't have German dungeon porn." He mumbled to himself, sliding to the desk chair and propping himself in.

He pressed his thumb against the power button, surprised to see that the computer unlocked without issue. No password or anything of the sort. It's very possible that Phil never anticipated someone to skim through his personal work, or there was simply nothing to hide. But it was still worth it to check it out, figuring that if he could at least find out more about him, it was worth investing some time.

Sliding the mouse over to the nearest files, Ami's suspicions were confirmed in a picture of Phil, standing amongst several children and colleagues. He definitely appeared much younger, and Ami figured that if he was an educator, it was long before he and Azalea came to town. Continuing to skim through the files, eventually clicking on another file, he discovered something that appeared to be an award for best teacher. He couldn't determine from the photograph whether or not if Phil was awarded this at Moss Creek...but he knew there was a couple of ways he could figure this out. Closing out of the remaining files and tabs, he turned towards Shilia with a light frown. "I haven't found anything damning on him but...he seemed like a standup guy overall. But if anything, this may give us a lead if we can figure out where he taught and whether or not Jerry might have had a grudge…" He highly doubt Jerry would kill Phil, or even abduct him, over an award on best teacher. Job stability, on the other hand, could definitely be a motive. "Let's regroup with Simeon after we sweep the room one more time. Maybe he's found something that links Phil with Jerry."

A teacher… Once again, Phil surprised Shilia. If she wasn't feeling ashamed of assuming wrongly about the man earlier, then she definitely was now. She timidly rubbed her cheek, as if trying to willingly scrub the heat out of existence, all while staring at the dusty floors in deep thought. "Well… If it's personal or career records we need, I may be able to assist with that later? I work weekdays at the library and plenty of information could be found on, well, outstanding members of Moss Creek… Just a suggestion though. And we can't be too, err, invasive or greedy about it." Her manager and owner of the library would likely grow annoyed with the group if they stuck their noses into things excessively. He was a patient man, but even he had his limits.

Regardless, Shilia nodded and joined Ami with sweeping the room one last time. There… really wasn't much else to find. Except for more and more dust. After a third paranoid-induced sweep (prompted cautiously by Shilia), the pair exited the office space and descended back down to the den, waiting for Simeon.

Simeon arrived not too much later, bearing a look of a man who had seen something he'd rather forget… But there wasn't enough bleach in the world to clear his mind of the things he'd found in Phil's bedroom.

"...This town…" He started, almost in hushed tones, "...Definitely has some damn secrets." Holding out the papers he'd taken from the room, Simeon shook his head, "And we got bigger problems than Jerry if this is any indication…"

"That would be helpful…" Ami confirmed, scratching his scruff as his eyes darted back to the bookshelf for a moment. "I don't want you to get into trouble on this, so just be cautious, alright? If you can't find too much on the library, I can reach out to my sister to see if anyone in her social circle has connections to the elementary school in the area. It's a small town anyway, so I imagine it won't be too hard to connect to someone who knew what Phil did in his past career." He couldn't tell when those photos were dated, but Phil was definitely a much younger version of himself. At least, from what Ami knew. He hadn't seen Phil very often, but the grainer quality of the images would suggest at least a little age to them. That, and not to mention the computer had any password systems, and had dust caked all over it...it would definitely be an older system.

He kept his thoughts quiet as he followed Shilia back to the den, eyes flickering to Simeon pensively. "The hell did you find Ned?" Ami questioned Simeon, tentatively taking the papers from his hands. He felt his heart hammer in his chest at the reading, immediately growing sick at the content within. Sympathy welled within him for Phil, his lower lip trapped by his teeth as they sunk further and further into his skin. He swiftly passed it to Shilia, jabbing his fingers into his eyelids as he massaged them, letting out a shaky breath. "That would explain why he's no longer teaching…"

Shilia's brow furrowed while accepting the papers from Ami. "What do you mean by se…" However, the moment she absorbed the contents of Simeon's findings, her eyes widened. She reread them. Once. Twice. Several times after that, but not a single repeat of her actions helped her mind to register the information any better. "S-secrets… Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear oh dear…" Her voice was reduced to fretful murmurs that barely carried any oxygen with them, reaching only her ears.

This was beyond anything she anticipated. The disturbed hysteria behind Phil's chicken scratch drove daggers through her gut and combining this sentiment with a well-loved educator crumbling behind the smile in that photo… Shilia couldn't tell if she wished to vomit or hug the man. Both. Definitely both--

"Wait. Peggy? What in God's name does she have to do with any of this?" Peggy was harmless. Yes, a tad… unique and quirky, especially so with her speech patterns, but a bright soul nonetheless. If she wasn't spotted tossing around dice on the sidewalk while roleplaying little scenarios to herself, she was glued to Bay's side and happily chatting away. This entire situation screamed of far too much sinister energy for her to be involved with. "Simeon dear? You… You're in possession of that little phoenix. Is that what Phil's referring to in here?" she asked, her gut sinking with horror.

Had they made a grave mistake already? Please Gods, no.

"Pretty sure, yeah…" Simeon answered, without missing a beat. It had occurred to him already - it had occurred to him almost instantaneously. And he had a feeling it wasn't just because Phil was sentimental. Whatever they had stumbled upon, it went deep… Deeper than any rabbit hole he was hoping to leap into.

"...We need to talk to Peggy." He continued, grimly, "She might have some insight into what's going on. But I need to go back to my place, first and get that statue out of there. Don't need to drag Fox into any of this…" Swallowing, he rubbed the back of his neck, "Almost scared to ask… you two still wanna check the basement?"

"Does Peggy have any connection to the school?" He didn't know much about her, much like he didn't know much about Phil, but he figured it would be a good question to start at. Either that, or she was at least aware about the origin of the phoenix that Phil possessed. Priceless fairly heirloom? Something he stole? He figured there was some value to it, whether it was monetary or not. "Yeah, we do need to talk to her. If she knows Phil in the way that we think, or at least what the letter suggests, I'm surprised we haven't seen her around the house."

BREAK IN - Pt 2
TAG | Collab @KatSea @Mobley Eats

It seemed like such a bizarre random coincidence. These three didn't even know Phil all that well, not really, but the one woman he did mention in his mad ramblings didn't seem to, well, be putting in this particular effort. If breaking and entering could be considered an effort. "Please tell me you didn't tell Fox about the phoenix…" That little robot gave Ami the creeps. Not in the...typical sense. It felt like if you stared too long into his hollow eyes, you'd get answers to questions you never wanted to ask.

"Well, I don't want to. But we need to. We need to sweep through the house and make sure we are not missing everything." Ami massaged his brow lightly. "Yeah. We need to go to the basement. I highly doubt Phil is down there but if anything...there should be something he keeps down there."

"That may be best. I'm… uncertain of Peggy's work schedule, let alone where she's likely to be in her time of leisure," Shilia said. Yes, Peggy had a tendency to hang around Bay, but her other nerdling activities could happen at literally anywhere in Moss Creek and if they had to stop at multiple locations just to find her, they were working on a time crunch. She hadn't forgotten about the neighborhood's strict curfew.

Delicately, she folded up the pages Simeon found and stuffed them into her back pocket. "I don't believe she does? Well--actually," she perked up with recollection, "I've seen her manning the register once at the grocery store. So… Oh dear, wait. That's not terribly helpful to your question. Sorry, Ami." A hint of heat touched Shilia's face, but she did her best to ignore it (while praying Simeon and Ami would do the same out of pity).

She cleared her throat. "Anyways--yes. Basement. I'm not… thrilled about traversing down there, but we may find more information." Especially considering Ami's finding of those cameras. From a glance around the den, she failed to spot any visible wiring or cords, so they may have descended further into the basement after all.

"Okay… We should move quickly now. Jerry could return soon." Pulling in a deep breath, she set off with her fellow detectives towards the back of the house, where a cramped hallway led them to a single door. It clearly held more age than the others in Phil's house and was composed of metal rather than wood. The style melded well with the wash and dryer area nearby but now that Shilia stood before it, she couldn't fight off a shiver from coursing down her spine.

She never cared for basements.

An anxious glance was tossed Simeon and Ami's way, a silent plea for one of them to go first. It was a miracle in itself that the assistant librarian had gone this far without keeling over and emptying her stomach of breakfast.

Jerry could return soon...

If that didn't linger in Simeon's brain like a lead bullet. Cringing lightly, he nodded to the others, "Lemme just put these things back where they were…" He returned swiftly to the bedroom, and before slipping the journal back beneath the bed and the pages back into the drawer, he drew his phone and snapped a few shots of the crazed writing. Then with one last glance around, he returned to the others and followed Shilia's lead to the basement door.

He paused in the hall as something caught his eye and grinning wryly, Simeon plucked up the wooden bat leaning up against a side table. Giving it a pat in his palm, he nodded, tracing a finger over the faded words Bater Up, "I'll go first. Shilia, stay between me and Ami, yeah?"

Gingerly slipping to the front, bat clutched tightly in his hand, he pushed the door open and feeling along the wall, located the switch, flicking on the lights. Then slowly, one step at a time, he descended.

"That's a good place to start." Ami reassured Shilia, noting the light pink on her cheeks that came from that suggestion. "Also...don't worry about basements. You've got two, grown, strong, well...questionably strong, men for you to sandwich in between." He swallowed down his next thought, tempted to say that he would take the chainsaw for her if it came down to that. But he didn't want to frighten her, or bring an even heavier(not to mention morbid) air around them.

Ami easily slid behind her, his head swiveling at the mention of Jerry possibly returning. It was more than possible for this to happen, but if anything, it was three against one. Ami did keep track of possible exits, from the main door of the basement to the end of the hallways.

"Try not to accidentally whack one of us with that there, Simeon. As much of a Looney Tunes scenario as that would be…" He chuckled wearily, watching Simeon decide the stairs first. Brave, for certain, but he was also concerned for his well being. He hobbled down the stairwell after Shilia, making sure his arm was extended in her direction just in case she needed him.

Shilia nodded, grateful for Ami's supportive words and jesting, though a part of her couldn't quite tell if she wanted to giggle at the joke or gulp down her buzzing nerves. As the trio descended, she couldn't help but cut glances at the walls on either side of them, gray and concrete, riddled with water stains and hairline cracks. She failed to remember her own basement being in such a ragged shape, so she assumed Phil's upkeep of the house was reflective of his organizational skills altogether.

Aside from the sharp squeaks of wood under their every step, nothing cared to jump out at them as they reached the bottom of the stairs. It opened up to a large and mostly hollow space, square in ship and very dimly lit. An old fashioned boiler was crammed into the corner, while some old furniture was piled into the opposite one. Two black trash bags, seemingly full and tied closed, rested on the wall nearest to them. Just from these initial observations, Shilia would've dubbed this basement as lackluster.

Except for one little thing.

The wall facing them held wallpaper, old and garish in design. It reminded her of the kind that filled her grandmother's adorable little home. Even from a short distance away, one could tell that the rest of the decal was manually ripped free of the other three walls, yellowish-white tears left behind.

If it wasn't the basement from the Bates Motel, Simeon didn't know what was. A chill gathered at the nape of his neck as he glanced around the room, that had nothing to do with temperature. The first thing he noticed were the oddly savaged walls, but it was the second element to which Simeon gravitated. The trash bags, despite the horror-movie obvious reasons not to look inside them, nabbed at his attention. Rifling through them, he was both surprised and a little disappointed to find only leaves - Phil seemed keen on yard upkeep, but it was an admittedly wacky place to put the leavings. And that, decidedly, was what drove Simeon to empty them out…

Leaves, as it turned out, were extremely uninteresting. The weird marks on the floor, however, that Sim noticed as he pushed the pile of leaves back into the black bags. The entire floor, in fact, seemed covered in the grime… and standing, fingers tapping his chin, he frowned in thought.

"...Think there'd be a reason to take a rug out of the basement?"

Ami had seen worse. That was for certain. It wasn't his fault Wicke had some weird friends back in the day and even weirder basements, but there was something still off putting about his current location. Perhaps it was the fact that this was a missing man's home and black garbage bags were piled up in the corner. Not to mention the bare walls on three ends of the room. Swallowing his nerves down his throat, he approached the nearest wall, inspecting the different coloration that coated it. He couldn't tell what could have been on there, but out of curiosity, he pressed his ear against the wall and gave it a few taps. Nothing. Dense and concrete, that was for sure. Typical of Moss Creek basements as far as he was aware of. Pulling himself from the wall, he noticed several scrape marks...including something that looked to be a scratch.

"Well someone either really wanted to get out or wanted to rip something off…" This began to remind him slightly of a Korean movie Azalea convinced him to watch the other night and he shuddered at the memory of men in a dingy basement. Yeah. He did not intend to stay here for longer than needed.

His eyes trailed along the room, scanning for anything of use, anything that could possibly point out something was wrong. It wasn't like they were going to find Phil's body down here...at least, he hoped not. After a moment of inspection, a ping of nausea filled his stomach. There was a crinkle along the remaining wallpaper. As if someone attempted to flatten it out...as if there could have been something underneath.

Inhaling sharply, he knelt down against the rugless ground and scrapped his fingers against the fragile wallpaper. He easily tore at the small area of concern...a gap. Small enough, but would explain the breeze, and certainly slapped Ami silly with a cold front as he uncovered it. It looked...remarkably clean. Almost...too much. "Speaking of weird shit, there's a fucking hole here."

His mind drifted back to the attic, where the chords ran do-

"Oh, fuck. Oh fuck-"

Shilia was ignorant to Ami's rushed explicatives, as she had launched into her own set of investigations at the same time he and Simeon did. She decided to set her focus on the furnace. At first glance, nothing truly stood out to her. It was metallic but dingy, large but oddly fragile. Just ancient. And, again, she couldn't help but wonder why such an old fashioned machine was stationed down here; was Phil really that horrendous when it came to taking care of his home?

Well, considering the ripped up wallpaper and cracks in the wall… yes. He was.

Sighing, she stood on the tip of her toes and tried to peek towards the top of it, but her stature proved to be her downfall. She huffed under her breath, tried again, only to taste the same result as last time.

Curse her tininess.

Regardless, Shilia didn't know how much of her fragile self esteem could handle coming back to her new friends empty handed, so she switched up tactics and pressed her palms flat to the wall, one eye shut and the other peering into the slim gap between corner and furnace…

"Oh, hello? What's…?" Her brow furrowed. Black, linear, descending from a neatly cut hole from the ceiling and curving down into another hole drilled through the wall.

A cord.

Shilia backed away and turned to face the others. "W-well, judging by Ami's… exclamations, I assume something was found? What about you, Simeon? Did you locate the rug you mentioned?" She glanced back at the furnace. "I may or may not have unveiled the whereabouts of those cords you pointed out from our last visit, Ami."

"...No rug, no. But I think maybe that's the point." Simeon straightened fully and moved over to where Ami had wandered, looking over the wall with curiosity, "Concrete? Doesn't seem like a fake wall?"

Rather than waiting for an answer, Simeon flattened his palms against the wall and gingerly, eased them along the odd wallpaper. For a moment, he was sure they were just being paranoid… over invested in their decision to play superspy… then pausing, his palm caught on the edge of something strange.

Heart hammering, Simeon continued to press along the anomaly before, almost without warning, he leaned back and plowed a fist directly into the space, the wallpaper tearing around his knuckles as the concrete crumbled beneath his assault…

"I eat a lot of spinach, but I'm pretty sure concrete doesn't do that…" He continued, prying at the rest of the crumbling texture, trying to widen the hole he'd made, "Help me out, Ami… Shilia, can you try to find a flashlight or something?"

"You found the chords?" Ami questioned, his expression pale as he made his way to his feet. "So I was right. Someone was watching the attic-" Was it possible that Phil set up this whole security system to watch over the phoenix they found? Was someone living in Phil's basement? Again, the thriller movie Azalea and him watched came to mind and he flinched. The idea of someone lurking in your home and watching your every move? It was worse than any King novel he would ever read. He glanced over his shoulder towards the stairwell, just in case.

Just in case.

Before he had a chance to go towards the boiler to help Shilia explore, he noted that Simeon seemed to have found something...and immediately slammed his fist through the wall. "Wait!" He called out, only to find that...the supposed concrete crumbled beneath his fingers.

this explains that gap...good Christ

He found himself besides Simeon, curling his fingers into the cracks as he began to rip at the false wall. "Think Phil might be a fucking spy or something…" he murmured under his breath, creating a decent slot for him to be able to see a little bit inwards. "I doubt there's a fucking flashlight anywhere near here-"

Click

"...Um. G-got it," Shilia said sheepishly while holding up her IPhone, flashing a light on the crater. "Oh dear. Unless you wanted an actual flashlight? I suppose it's luminance would prove brighter in this situation… Or does Apple manufacture a light just as intense? I.." Short pause. "I'll research the matter later. Point is… yes, I'm fairly certain those cords belong to the camera in the attic and filters through this wall…"

Her eyes narrowed, leaning forward with her fellow detectives to squint at the indent. Now that most of the faux concrete was crumbled away, she could make out an incredibly smooth and ornate crater, seeming to have a specific and articulate shape molded into it. But for the life of her, she couldn't tell what. "Well now… that's rather odd."

Leaning in as well, Simeon took a look at the shape, but nothing seemed to click in his mind as to what it might be. The shape was unnerving, somehow, in it's unfamiliarity - and the pressing thought of why there was a crater covered by crappy wallpaper was only the first of many thoughts.

But the sound Simeon heard drove all those thoughts from his mind and swearing, he straightened, "We gotta go… There's sirens." And the subtle thud upstairs… of footsteps, "We gotta go right now!"

"What the fuck is that…" Ami squinted, trying to get any reading off the carving that was embedded into the concrete. How hard was it to make that shape, and why the fuck was it there? A marker? Why hide it? Was he worried someone would see it, or did he not want to have to look at it? Did someone else do this? He slowly scrambled through his pocket to retrieve his cellular device, centering his camera so he could get the full image. Shilia's position at the library could prove to be useful…

"Oh fucking A…" Ami hissed, hearing the footsteps above him and the sirens. His heart dropped in his throat. God. God. He didn't want to leave Azalea alone in the fucking home. He didn't want to end up getting his two (and only friends) into trouble. "If we leave the basement now we risk getting caught." He hissed under his breath, eyes darting between back and forth between Simeon and Shilia.

"Oh dear… Ohhhh dear dear dear Anton can barely cook dinner for himself," Shilia rushed under her breath, heart leaping into her throat. Now that Simeon drew her attention to it, she could clearly make out the sound of footfalls and police sirens. They were already inside the house. Shakily, a hand fell to Ami's arm and her other to Sim's. "If we stay, they'll inevitably come to us." Without waiting for further protest, she started scrambling back up the stairs, stealth nearly forgotten in the cloud of growing panic..
Swearing again, as Shilia booked for the stairs, Simeon took off after her, "We gotta move fast, Ami!" He hissed over his shoulder. His feet found the stairs then, the bat in his hand discarded at the landing. Graciously, he could hear Ami behind him, and closing in on Shilia, he reached out to catch her elbow.

Holding up a finger to her, he moved around her carefully, but nearly at a run, towards the door and pushing it open, he toppled out, his steps barely slowing. Unfortunately, as they made it into the hallway, Ami taking up the rear, Sim spotted the officer a fraction of a second too late to warn the other two to stay back. Spinning at the sound of their feet on the hardwood floor, the officer twisted towards them, "Stop!"

Grimacing, Simeon said nothing until Shilia and Ami had overtaken his speed, then skidding to a halt, he tipped over the table in the hallway, in front of the den door, and swiftly, threw his hands over his head.

If this was how Ami was gonna die, so be it. It wasn't exactly how he wanted to go, it wasn't quite what he was anticipating, but hey, go for it. He hobbled up after Simeon and Shilia as they darted through the hallway, Ami's heart thrumming in horror in his ears. If he didn't end up getting away, Azalea was gonna fucking kill him and it was going to be a shameful way to go. Yeah, Azalea disappointment was far more scary than being arrested by the fucking cops.

He remembered his initial escape plan from earlier when they had first descended down into the basement, and very cautiously he reached out to grab onto Shilia, darting out the back entrance where Jerry tried to escape the previous night. He could see why he would try to, there was a back entrance to the woods and they could easily dart through...the only problem was as he broke through to the outside, he peered back and noted that…

"Oh fucking hell…" He hissed between his teeth, wanting to go back and drag the man out, but remembered he still had to get Shilia to safety. Fuck. Shaking his head and praying that maybe man in the sky had some time for his fucking plunders, he sprinted in the direction of the wooded area.

Before the words could leave his mouth - words that Simeon wasn't even sure were worth saying, the officer leapt the table and Sim found himself meeting drywall as he was spun around and shoved face-first into the wall. Metal clapped around his wrists like the ugliest accessory and squeezing his eyes shut, he breathed out, "Just uh… Could you just make sure someone feeds my dog, man?"

"You have the right to remain silent--"

Meanwhile, Shilia had no idea what was occurring until she was deep into the recesses of the woods stretching beyond Phil's backyard. For a fraction of a moment, her stride stuttered, realizing hitting her hard and fast, and she glanced back at the house…

Sucking in a sharp breath and blinking away the stinging behind her eyes, she dashed off with Ami and back to safety.

They should've never gone into that house.