Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
  2. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
Genres
Horror, fantasy, sci-fi.
It is the beginning of history.

Imperus, eldest of Great House Djuka, has crushed Their rebellious daughters and brought an end to the War of Three Dragons.
But with the other tyrants eliminated, what will be the fate of Imeria under the conquering king? The other Great Houses await the distribution of lands and holdings, the determination of whether the mortal peoples will be kept under divine yoke or freed to make their own destiny.
There is much rebuilding to be done, for the war has scarred the land perhaps for centuries to come; the devastation of terrible sorcerous weapons, populations decimated, monsters bred for war loose in the world.

You are the surviving Scions of Great House Hulbrad, the House of Apocalypse. Your family home has been destroyed, leaving the Lake of Ink behind. Your parents swore to Djuka Hecate during the war, and now Imperus has called you along with the other Houses to negotiate the peace. You are a house of scholars and mystics, the divine blood of Hulbrad gifting you subtle magics of the mind. A house of spies and intrigants who once had eyes in every city and town.

What will you do now, o devas of the Dark One?

=================================

A game of intrigue, nation-building, immortal feuds and superhuman romances. Seeking five players to guide House Hulbrad into an uncertain future in a world of Magi, monsters, and larger-than-life heroes.

Roles:
Warmaster: @FuzzMonster
Lorekeeper: @Delling
Administrator:
Spymaster: @Silvertongued
Architect: @PixelWitch
Black Sheep:

Each Hulbrad has a number of Expression; physical or near-physical manifestations of their heritage. Thematically these are tied to concepts like dreams, ethereality, shadow, foresight, Autumn, and knowledge. All Expressions are obvious in some way, such as additional eyes or hair that drifts as if underwater.

House Hulbrad
House Virtue: Patience
House Failing: Sloth

Hulbradim are the spies and scholars, which gives them some distinct flaws and benefits. On the one hand, collectively they probably know everything worth knowing. On the other, they keep secrets from each other and often do not inform each other of plots or fail to share critical knowledge. This can lead to Gambit Pileups and Hulbrad scrambling to hide their involvement. Any Hulbrad taking the reigns of the family, therefore, is probably best served by treating fellow Hulbradim as assets to be activated as necessary. On the other hand, knowing what everyone else is up to, and commanding the very best spies and assassins outside Imperus' own personal guard, is a huge benefit.

Expressions of Divine Power
Feet don't touch the ground, eyes seem like black holes, bends and stretches unnaturally, warps surrounding environment, shadow acts independently.

Powers:

Hallucination – Inflict Hallucinations on enemies, 5 Essence per internal penalty applied

Telekinesis – Manipulate objects with your mind with an effective Strength equal to your Resonance. 2 Essence per use/per turn to maintain. 5 to strike a telekinetic blow.

Telepathy – Read minds or communicate with them by rolling Intuition + Resonance against the target's Willpower; spend 5 Essence per die to convert them to successes

Teleportation – 5 Feet per Resonance, any direction, no line of sight. 5 Essence per Resonance increment traveled

Characters Go Here: CHARACTER INDEX Heavy Is The Crown Characters

ADDITIONAL INFO Heavy Is The Crown - State of the World

Last edited:
So! I've been working on Adeline's old sheet from the RPN version of this, cleaned it up quite a bit and redid some aspects of the character.

Time has meaning. It is just how one interprets it that matters.

Born a scant 270 years before the outbreak of the War of the Three Dragons, Adeline seemingly was and always had been. It wasn't through a redoubtable presence or by raging against life that this age had been achieved. It was by simply being unwilling to act in response to the rules. In her true youth, Adeline had been a flickering presence. Only acting on her passions and personal interest, gathering acumen through patience and victories over those wishing to stand against her by simply forgetting their existence. It was a strange time in the life of a strange being in an age long since vanished.

Then came Cassius.

He was the port in the storm of her life. Someone to build meaning from. All her pursuits from before were meaningless in comparison to what the man was to her. The only thing keeping her from vanishing into the ether completely. Cassius was all that she was and wasn't. With him she was finally able to create lasting impact on the world around her. Wonders that would be never be rivaled, baubles that should only have existed in dreams, and memories that would exist beyond her.

He even gave her the gift that would arguably impact the world more than she ever could, her daughters. She loves them both dearly, more than anything. They are the embodiment of the love between Cassius and herself. Her daughters would be raised never wanting but never spoiled. Free to pursue what they wished with Adeline being ever proud of them no matter what. It was just that as they grew into their own, becoming self sufficient and their own souls formulating, Adeline didn't see the need to finish the project. Eventually she would see them both less and less. Traveling, overseeing the building of her wonders, gathering herbs and rare trinkets. Whatever caught her eye and whatever she didn't forget. Cassius the only one able to reign her in, she relied on him for updates on their family.

Cassius was her better in every way. And then he wasn't.

She had been at her Home in the manor, Cassius frittering away in his rock. She'd been in her gardens, tending and planting while enjoying the smoke of a crop from a century back when it happened. Years back she'd started a project, one of thousands really, that was intended to protect her House. It never went beyond a prototype before she lost interest and moved on. A lifeline, a pocket dimension to hide inside of. A shield that was impenetrable by merit of not existing. The last thing she remembered was the deep inhale she took before everything froze around her.

Adeline is woman of more than a quarter millennia of age, yet a has body that doesn't seem to be affected by the ravages of time. Living inside a bubble of Expression that her own subjective reality exists, things like logic, magic and objectivity all seem to disobey their most basic of laws.

Her hair a solid void, a darkness from whence no light escapes, it falls down to the floor and pools around her. Her eyes are opaline, the whites a rose pink. Her face extremely friendly yet somehow appearing both detached and involved at the same time. Full lips above a tightly chiseled jaw. Freckled cheeks give a distinct look.

Her body is soft and seems to be constantly smelling of exotic spice, akin to a holiday. She appears similar but different at almost every angle, sometimes the skinniest obese Hulbrad, sometimes the fattest cachectic, sometimes the tallest of the short and at others the shortest of the massive. Often clad in a grey tailcoat, tail long enough to reach her feet, and in soft leather soled boots to match, she wears only grey and the palest of blues to match her eyes. She has a bad habit of nail biting and often will clap in delight. She smokes her own herb profusely and often arrives in a cloud of smoke that varies in scent with the time of year.

Adeline is the mother of Helene and Edel, much much older sister to Tristan and a widow to Cassius.

I've been speaking with Grey about a perfect way to write her back in and wanted to ask @Silvertongued And @PixelWitch specifically if this would be alright.

Reactions: Excession
I am totes on board with this, and so is Pixel.

The only real question I have is whether or not Cassius is still a Hulbrad by birth? I mean with how strong the Bloodline is, it would make sense for branches of family to be related in name only, having several generations of distance.

Reactions: Custodiet Teh
I was assuming something like that, there must be multiple bloodlines in each house, just look at Lybar.

Hmm, making it work does me rejigging who and who is not a full-blooded Hulbrad.
This is a time period where relatively distant cousins, as Scions go, could have been allowed together without anyone really batting an eye, but that gets a bit weird.
Maybe Cassius shouldn't have been actual head of House but perhaps a Shadow, and a parent of Adeline's was in charge. Might force too many backstory rewrites.

Also I just realized I should make an actual OOC thread for this game, I'll get to that a bit later on.

That's a sticky wicket, any ideas how to prevent too much backstory alteration?

I didn't know he was Head of House. I just thought he was an architect Hulbrad.

Also, you say weird, but you've seen European Royalty families trees, right? Fuckin' Richard 3rd was so inbred he was practically a sandwich.

What's a little blood between tenth cousins?

Reactions: Silvertongued
See, you say that, but that's like, way more than enough generations to preserve genetic stability. Hell, 2nd cousins, which are related to you through your great grandparents, have only 3% of common genetics. Considering how easily we forget our family lines these days, shacking up with people that "closely" related is entirely possible, especially in small countries like this.

I could not remember if he had been head of House or not. Shadow-architect with Adeline helping would work fine.