Hearts of Fire (High Fantasy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bismarck

Original poster
KmtiC8a.jpg

Perhaps a few seconds had passed after you entered the tavern, before a massive brawl broke out. Swept up in the chaos, you perhaps managed a few swings, before a man beckoned to you, to follow him downstairs. He seems to do this with several others, guiding them away from one of the nastiest fights the bar has ever seen. Blood, food, even teeth, and perhaps what appear to be small appendages such as fingers are splattered across the floor above.
Yet down in the basement below, things are calm. A table with chairs for everyone is set, and at the head is a rather imposing man. Old, but still built like a half-giant, rather than a human. He wears little more than a tunic, with the sleeves torn off, and a set of black canvas pants. Asking everyone to take a seat, things upstairs seem to be settling down finally, as the last few punches are being thrown, and the clattering of crashing furniture is down to nothing.
"You all know why you are here. I am a courier, and the head of this entire ordeal. As you know, the kingdom has fallen under the worst times it has ever seen." The man explains, his accent is very thick, suggesting he from the far north. The massive bear fur cloak hung up across the room confirms that suspicion further for anyone with an observant eye. "This is because the right of succession was broken. The king was assassinated, and the true heir to the throne, resides in the care of my tribe. I come to you asking for your help. To recover several items, of great power." He pauses momentarily, looking toward the stairwell, his hands tensing as he seemed to expect some sort of company.

Though when no one came, the barbaric man settled back down. There was always a rumor that those of the tribe, had some sort of sense against danger. A warning that most would never experience, which helped add to the legend of their insane durability and strength.

"These relics, will help us to oppose the current king and his devious allies. If we do not do this, the kingdom will fall, and with it, an uncounted amount of souls. A majority of all the major races will be slaughtered, by plague, starvation, and the beasts which currently only lurk in the darkness of the world." Each word that left the man's mouth were very serious, and anyone that had been paying attention lately, would have noticed the recent turn of events. Food was becoming more scarce, and the amount of sick was starting to pile up, until the clerics couldn't handle or contain it.

"So I ask you, the few who I have arranged for this meeting. Will you join me? Or will I have to try and kill you all, so as to keep this secret mission entirely safe." He asked with stern gaze. his hand resting on the hilt to the massive blade that was leaned against his chair. White hair, and a white beard. A mid section that seemed to have lost most of its muscle, and arms that while quite strong looking, still were showing the signs of aging. Him being able to kill everyone in the room was not likely, but being able to splatter the blood of a few across the walls before he dropped, was more likely.

To briefly explain this, this roleplay will be set in the Forgotten Realms, a D&D setting which I've come to enjoy over the last years. However generally speaking, it will not have anything to do with the current, and ongoing stories related to the Forgotten Realms. However one can expect mention of famous locations, perhaps even notable characters that have shaped the world into its current state, before my own creation of a story begins.

This entire roleplay revolves around what would be considered political intrigue, adventuring, and of course combat. As explained above, without specific names. Waterdeep, one of the most influential cities within Faerun, as the majority of the region is know, had lost its ruler. To what most assumed was a horrendous accident. However the tribes of Icewind Dale were bestowed with the truth, by a member of the noble court, who took the child of the king, and managed to run as far away as possible.

She bestowed the care to the Tribe of the Elk, one of the stronger tribes within the Icewind Dale region. They were granted the son. However as they heard of the growing troubles to the south, they took it upon themselves to try and do something about this. So they sent one of their oldest champions, the wisest member of the tribe. The 'old' man wandered, a greatsword on his back, and a several notable tomes in his bag. His goal of course was to seek out young, and skilled adventurer.

To put this in D&D terms, your characters on the general scale of level 1-20 for raw power, and ability would rank at a seven or an eight. To put it another, less number based way, a level one may be the equivalent of a brand new adventurer, a mage with little to no experience. Whereas a level twenty adventurer would be an archmage, with powers great enough to almost bend reality.

Each character would be recognized by most of the Sword Coast where they reside, at least by the peasants, and the more common folk. However nobles wouldn't know them well, no would anyone of incredibly high standing in general at the moment. Though bands of thieves, and perhaps even monsters may hunt these adventurers out of spite, for how much power they have gained.

All of the characters created, would have been called in by the wandering barbarian, purely for their reputation being good enough to warrant them as companions to be trusted, however just under the radar enough to make it easy to set up a meeting, and get on with the mission at hand.

I'd be seeking more advanced posting generally, with well developed characters. However until I see several interested souls, I will not be dedicating time to a character sheet, or character creation on my end. Though the story is on its way already. I do hope to have a dedicated cast of players, who will not abandon me, or leave within a few pages. This is meant to go on for a fairly long term period.​

Oooo yessss
It's been awhile since I've seen something D&Dish on here that interested me~<3

If this is anything like I hope it to be, then I'm in it for the long haul.

Reactions: (Dis)Aster
Always good to see a few people already interested. Certainly hoping for more. perhaps between that 4-7 mark for this ordeal.

I'm in, and know a few others who might be too.

Feel free to send them a quick note then, or tag them. Always enjoy more people.

Huh, alright. I'm interested in this.

Woo! Interest! People!
The party is growing :D

Ah Faerun...*wistful sighs* such fond memories of playing table top in this realm. I no longer have books or anything, will you be setting up your own guidelines? Or do you know of a site where the information can be found? I'd be hard pressed to create a good character without the resources I once had.

Certainly I'll be setting my own general guidelines for characters, and what I'd like. However if you'd like D&D specific resources, to create your character with, and nail down lore, and what not I can always share my Google Drive. I believe I have a majority of the older 3.5e content, along with some of the newer 5e content, which is based almost entirely around Faerun. If you're more focused on just a lore perspective, there is a Forgotten realms wiki, which covers important details and talking points.

• Useful
Reactions: PoetLore
Awesome. Looks like we have enough for me to start contemplating character ideas.

It looks like this is going to be a dice and stats rp? Am I correct in assuming that? If so, how is it going to work? I'm a little confused with how the mechanics are worded; what with ability being a seven or eight, and raw power being on a scale of one to twenty. I'm not sure what that means.

This won't use dice, except on my end, where I'll like use them to lazily determine my own things, that will change the world. Generally speaking, character power level is measured from 1-20 in traditional Dungeons and Dragon's. 1 as stated above is your new adventurer. It would be like a new barbarian, one incredibly young, with little control over their rage, and only able to survive by raw ability. Whereas, say a level 10 barbarian, is beginning to control their rage, and has garnered enough weapon skill to support them as they fight, though they still suffer from exhaustion after a prolonged fight, where they must tap into this reserve of anger. And finally we reach a level 20 barbarian, who is complete control of themselves. They use their rage as they please, to bolster their strength, their weapon skills are nearly flawless, and they are almost like a demigod among men.

Mechanically this RP will function in a very simple way. Basically if it isn't an important fight, such as against a dragon, or a high ranking leader. I will simply allow the players to write how they please. I will be sure to inform players what type of fight is happening.

Progression for power level will be handled by myself. I won't ask anyone to track it on their own. Rather I'll just make small nods in posts about how characters are developing, based on what you as a writer put down. For instance, if a combat is well drawn out, I may make notes about new techniques characters learn, or had a chance to try.

This is always subject to change, and I hope I didn't make this sound too complicated. I certainly don't hope to turn people away, by having a slightly different system added atop quality writing.

• Thank You
Reactions: CasketCase
Interested in this, but one question: what timeframe would this be placed in? 3.5, 4, 5e?

I believe 5e? From what I remember that's where the bulk of the Forgotten Realms content is from.

Currently it would be based on the storylines presented by 5e. This is mostly to keep it recent. Though expect mistakes, and or changes on my end. Simply because this is my story. So in general, this would be post spellplague.

• Useful
Reactions: Psyker Landshark
Also depending on time this week, I'll begin working on some sort of character thread. Just seems to be that I keep getting dragged away for other things, before I can quite invest a lot of time into writing.

Reactions: PoetLore
I forgot to watch this thread...so sorry..I didn't mean to seem to ignore your reply. I loved playing table top with the characters of this land, even though it was laborious to level up and It was a LONG time ago. Still, I love the Faerun backdrop, I will try to do it justice! Will you tag us when you get the CS up?

I certainly will, I just had made the assumption interest was dropped, as I stopped hearing from anyone in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.