Heart of an Incubus

"She is safe. From you", the king chuckled. "She's precisely where she belongs. Above you, and not equal to you or any of your scum in any way. Now, leave, while it's still the wse thing to do."

Scum he thought to himself. After all he said to her and how he reacted, the king dared to call him "scum". He reached out and grabbed the king by his colla and pulled him close, "It takes a scum to know a scum, doesn't it" he shouted.

Seconds after his assualt, guards had surrounded Sorren with their blades and pried him away form the king. He held on so tight he'd torn the king's coat, the piece he'd torn was still in his grip.

"You'd dare touch the king unnanounced!" screamed Henry, "Guards cast him out immediately. He shall never walk these halls or these city quarters again."

Sorren couldn't fight back, he was out numbered and unarmed. It brought tears to his eyes knowing, that even if he did fight they'd still find a way to stop him. Whether it be fatal or not, they'd stop him in his tracks. As the tears ran down his cheaks, the guards threw him out the front entrace, sending him rolling down the steps to the castle.

He came to his feet, starring at a window that looked like Melissa's quaters. His body was bruised, his lip bleeding and clothes spattered in dust. He looked past the scarlet curtains seeing Melissa's beautiful dark red hair, "I swear...I'll find us a way... Someday."

Turning his back and holding his head down, he held back his tears and walked into town. He tried not to think about what they'd do to her for what they've done. but it wasn't wrong and it wasn't herecy. It was love, simple and beautiful, love.

Melissa saw Sorren pick himself up, and had to turn away . Right ow, there was nothing she could do for him. For surely, her father would have her hanged if she did anything else.

"I will see him again", she whispered to herself. 'There isn't an option other than that."

His heart clutched at his emotins, one side of him wanted to go back and fight. While the other, knew he couldn't, in a sort of sense he was helpless. No chance at fighting and no chance at reasoning with it. An endless road of failure.

Sorren walked himself into a bar, named the "The Bat's Blood", a tavern where the sad can sulk and others are not judged. He walked up the a table in the back, shrouded by shadows and empty.

He sat at table with his arms crossed and burried his head between them, What am I gonna do, I can't leave her behind he thought. As his mind sifted through his broken spirit, a man a peculiar looking outfit came and sat at his table.

"Ciao", said the man, he spoke with an italian tone of voice. And his outfit seemed.. Intimidating. "What do you want" asked Sorren, the mna gave him a strange feeling, as if he'd been looking for him. "I want to help you" said the man, "How could you help me?" he replied. "I'm just a commoner, a useless one at that."

"I know who you are.." said the man. His reply made Sorren pause for a moment, he tried to look the man in the eyes, but the hood covered most of his face. "How do you know me?" "My brotherhood, know of your problem, you wish to be with your loved one, yes?"

Sorren didn't know how to respond, so he just noded. "The king refuses the love you two share, you wish to fight back but do not have the skill. I shall teach you, make you stronger, you will see your beloved again."

This all sounded like something to good to be true. He wanted to hold Melissa again, no doubt, but he didn't know what he was getting into. Even if it sounded dangerous, he loved her too much to refuse.

"Teach me."

In Sorren's absence, Melissa delved into books, looking for comfort. But there was no comfort that could cure this.

After the fifteenth book, she just started sobbing relentlessly.

The two were traveling progressively outside of the city. The night sky acted like a shroud to Sorren and the man, hidden in the darkness like a black cat in an alley.

After a hour, there had been a bounty placed on Sorren's head for 2,000 golds. At the time neither of them knew anything about such an annoucment, they were just focussed on getting to their destination. Nearly to the North gate of the city, he spotted a wanted papre with the man's face on it, along with Sorren's paper next to it.

This can't be happening, I've become a wanted man, he thought to himself. "But If i'm wanted.. Why is he" he whispered looking towrds the shrouded man. Sorren had too much to ask him until they continued, so to be sure he wasn't about to get twisted up in some murder's game, he stopped him and held up his poster. "Who are you and why are you wanted?" The man placed his hand on Sorren's shoulder, "In due time my friend, in due time."

Two guards approached them soon after. The man pushed Sorren behind a hay cart, he placed his hands behind him and waityed for the guards to confront him. "Stop" said the guard, you're under arrest. The guard finished only half of the last word, when the man suddenly punctured his neck with a hidden blade. the other guard tried to kill the cloaked man, but was impaled through his head by the same weapon.

"What the.." worked its way from his lips, as he sat there as the man killed two people without a scratch on him. The man looked toward Sorren and pulled down his hood, showing his middle aged, rugged face. "My name Raze, I am an assassin."

Melissa sighed. Nothing. She wanted to go back into that room, back to Sorren, and back to that wonderful moment. She knew it was inconventional; the didn't know anything about each other besides their names. But in that short amount of time, she had fallen in love with him.

Was she crazy? Was this possible? So many questions circled her mind, and she just wanted to see him again.

It'd started to become daylight, the sky was begining to change from black to indigo. They'd traveled an entire mile from the castle and it's town. They were traveling along a road that passed a cave opening.

While away Sorren couldn't keep his mind offf of Melissa, he kept thinking about their kiss, their love , and everything else they felt at that moment. In his mind, he wished he could turn back time and relive that same enchanting moment they had, and let it play out a different way.

Sorren was beginning to tire out from the travel, but would gain strength from thinking about Melissa. The travel quickly came to anend when Raze opened a hidden passage from behind a cave. "We're here" he said , "Quickly inside", Sorren stopped half way into the entrance and gazed at the sky, wondering what is she doing now, does she need him, and how badly did she want to see him. It was stressing his mind to know.

In the dimishing night sky, a shooting star sprinted across the stars, he closed his eyes and made a wish. AS he opened his eys he spoke under his breath,"I love you Melissa, wait for me?"

Melissa would wait. There was no other option. She would attend other courting balls if she must, but she would show no interest in the suitors. She would not let her father win.

Melissa sighed, and walked to the balcony. Stars lit up the night sky, and as she saw a shooting stars, she whispered, "Don't leave me here, love."

As the two ventured deeper inside the cave the halls became more lit witrh torches. Futher up front was a stone path that ended at a wooden door. Raze and Sorren stood at the door, as raze knocked Sorren was still curious of this man and why he decided to help him.

"So, what tempted you to help me?" he mumbled, Raze took a deep breath and looked at him out the corner f his eye. "It was your bravery. The way you stood for your lover, defied the king, and stated his madness. It was inspiring.."

Sorren blinked twice and smiled a little. It made him think, maybe thats another reason she fell for me. "Welcom, to the brotherhood Sorren" said Raze, as he opened the door they opened up to a open area in a forest. Gypsies, mecinaries, assassins and more all gathered in this one area. A large amount of the group wore hooded clothing, ranging in colors from black, white, or gray.

Raze walked Sorren over to an old mistress with a hawk name "Horris". "If you wish to speak with your loved one, Melissa, then use Horris. He carries messeges from our group to allies and family outside of our social reach." Raze lifted the hawk onto his arm and placed him on Sorren's shoulder. "Now go make yourself comfortable."

"Thank you" replied Sorren. He strolled into a tent and immediately started writing to Melissa.

Dear Melissa,

It has been hours since we've seen each other, possibly half a day if you will. But I am safe, in case you were concerned. I've missed you in this brief period of time. Only a short few hours and your father already has a price on my head.I've recently been discovered by a group of trained killers who say they can help me, help us really. They know of our problem and they know I'm not ready to fight back, so they've taken me in and plan to train me in their ways.

In the mean time, they've given me a way to talk to you without being noticed by the guards or anyone else. To secure a future for you, for the both of us, I must become stronger. Stronger so that I'll be ready to save you, ready to fight for you. I shall not give in and I promise, I shall not die my love.

Love, Sorren

He strpped the note to the hawk's leg and booseted it to the night sky. The hawk followed the exact same direction that Sorren and Raze came from, Sorren went back into his tent and layed on the bed. As he began to fall asleep, he instantly started to dream about Melissa, laying next to him in the bed, letting him hold her all day and all night.

Melissa sighed, almost heartbroken. Such a little amount of time, and so much had happened.

She went back into her bedroom, and dressed into her pastel blue nightgown.

As she went to close the balcony doors, she noticed a hawk perched on the cement rail. She slowly approached it,and took a note from its leg.

Then note was from Sorren.

After quickly reaing it, she went to her desk and wrote a letter in reply:

Dear Sorren,

I've missed you too. I hate that this happened, and I'm really shocked to hear about the bounty. I'll try to convince Father to let it go, but I doubt he'll budge.

The night sky is beautiful here. The moon reflects onto clouds surrounding it, making a rainbow. I don't think I ever noticed it before. If I had, I must have thought it ordinary. It makes me happry that, even in a terrible time, there's beautiful things all around us. I wish you could stand next to me, gazing at the moon's rainbow.

I still don't know if this is the right thing to do. I don't want you risking your life for me. I just hope that Father can respect our love before it comes to that.

Love, Melissa.

She strapped the note onto the hawk, and he swiftly flew away. She felt like all of her was being carried in that letter.

Melissa picked up a pillow and a blanket, and moved them to the balcony. Staring at the moon's rainbow made her feel like Sorren was right next to her, and she fell asleep imagining that Sorren was protecting her.

He pased around the room waiting for the hawk to return with Melissa's messege. The suspense was killing him, he couldn't wait for the note.

Sorren took time to fix himself up, and heal his cuts and bruises. He walked over to a well filled with water and washed away the dirt on his face. Walking back to thee tent, he heard Horris land inside. He felt relieved from reading her response. It reasurred him, to keep fighting. Sorren layed the note down and positioned himself comfortably on his side i nthe gentle bed. Pulling the covers over him and closing his eyes.

Sorren was nearly asleep for the night, the thoughts of Melissa stopped any nightmares and guided his mind mind. He'd almost forgotten that soon in the morning he'd be trained by killers.

The tent let in the cooling breeze over Sorren's body. The cold feeling would quickly disappear when he thinks of Melissa. He could feel his arms around her, protecting her from whatever may face them.

For now, all they could do was dream about each other. Before he slept completely, he looked up towards the sky once more and witnessed the beauty she'd spoken of in her note. "Just like you" he whispered, and finally went to sleep.

Melissa woke up at the break of dawn. She stretched, and stood up.

"Mmm", she mumbled.

She walked into her room, and remembered Sorren's letter. Melissa sat at her desk, and read it again.

She wanted Sorren wrapped around her like before. She wanted it all back. The kissing, the wonderful music that played upstairs, her heart racing...everything.

As day time called to Sorren, he raised to his feet and prepared for training.

He placed Melissa's note in his pocket for good luck during the training, in case he felt like quiting, he'd look at the paper and get back up. Because he wasn't going to fail her, no matter the cost.

Raze gestured his hands for Sorren to follow him, he was carrying sacks of dirt, four weights, and other training tools. Sorren didn't know what to expect, but he knew this training wasn't going to be easy.

Being the start of morning, some of the forest was empty, silent like the sound of a feather hitting the ground.

"We shall make our way to the mountain tops, there your training may begin" said Raze. Sorren was determined for Melissa, so whatever it took, he'd follow through.

Melissa waited for the hawk to come back. She couldn't help but sit on the edge of the balcony, swinging her legs, and staring into the sky. She felt...close.

At this point, she didn't care if the hawk came back. As long as she could be close to Sorren in some way.

"Ugh..I need to get dressed", she said to herself. Evem though she tried to get herself to go into her room and change, she couldn't find the will to get off the balcony and do so. And so, she waited.

"Horris" shouted Raze, he pointed towards Sorren and the bird swiftly went to hover in front of him. In his beak was a feather pen, in his claws a rolled up pieace of paper.

He reached for the pen and unrolled the paper onto a flat surface. He had to be quick though so that he could keep up with Raze.

Dear Melissa,

Today i begin my training to be stronger. Did you get enough sleep last night? I did, I couldn't stop dreaming of your blissful eyes, smooth skin, fire red hair,and lucious lips. As every minute goes by I miss you more and more, to be away from you this long is painful to endure.

Hopefully, the training will take the pain off of my mind, I would have made this longer, but we're on the move towards the mountains. You're in my dreams and always in my heart my love.

Love, Sorren

The hawk snatched the paper from his hands and jetted off. Sorren wmiled watching Horris fly off, it reminded him of free will. The freedom to do as you please, meet who you want, and love who you want. In these times his heart would sink, but knowing his lover is waiting for him, somehow revives his spirit everytime.

Unfocussed on the road, Raze was nearly half way up. "If you stop day dreaming you'd be training by now." Sorren suddenly jumped back to his senses and sprinted his way up the mountain.

Melissa smiled, when she finally saw the hawk come.

When she was done reading the message, she replied:

Dear Serron,

When will I see you again? I don't want to just dream of seeing you. I miss the way you held me, kissed me, and even how you talked to me.

I can get a horse, and go wherever you need me to be. Even if I can only stay for a night. I would do anything, just tell me where I can go to you.

Melissa

Melissa nearly thrust the hawk into the air, and ran off into her room to change.

View attachment 6031

(her new look)

Melissa ren out to the balcony, and climbed down to the ground. She took one of her father's horses, Sadie, and headed to the market.

It had been a few hours, but Sorren easily grasped their skills. He'd learned the most vital parts of the human body and his movements became more precise. The training was paying off.

"We must test your new parkour abilities" Raze looked towards a high standing tree, pointing to the top, "Climb it" it he scowled. Sorren, wasn't sure at first, but as he viwed it from branch to branch, it became easy.

With every brach under him he'd use his feet to kick him up higher, and grab the branch closest to him. His speed assisted in his ability to climb, he reached the top of the tree in seconds. From up above, everything could be seen, even the castle that holds prisoner to his beloved.

Horris soon landed on Sorren's shoulder with another messege from Melissa. She wanted to meet up with him, and soon by the sound of it. He made his way down the tree, and landed in front of Raze. He showed him the note and glared at him with an expression of desperation. "Please, i need to see her.

"Calm down my friend, you may arrange a meeting. I'll round up some troops to keep watch over the two of you. Quickly now." Sorren's heart jumped in his chest, he was going to see her again, for one night or day maybe, but it was better than never.

Taking out another paper he set up a time and a location.

Meet me in the open spot of the forest, whenever you're clear of watcher is a good time, til then my love.

Love, Sorren

He threw Horris to the sky and made way to the destination point, thinking, I'll see you soon Melissa, I'll be there.

Melissa wandered around the market, wondering whether or not the people who were helping him would let him meet her.

A minute later, the hawk landed on Sadie's back.

She quickly bought a quil, and and hurriedly wrote:

I'm afraid I might only be able to come to you at midnight. Nevertheless, I will be there.

M

The hawk flew away with the note tied to his leg.

Before he left the camp, Raze stopped him, "Wait for the hwak to return" he said, "You shouldn't make a move you're not sure about."

"Yes Raze," he replied. In the mean time Sorren went back to his tent, wgen he arrived, there was a white uniform waiting for him. He picked up the shroud and placed iton quickly. It was made from a smooth material, and bended finely with his body. Straps of leather armor for carrying weapons and a potch for other items.(http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/_...reed/images/3/39/Altair_Assassin's_Blade_.jpg
Horris dove through the roof of his tent and softly landed apon his shoulder. When the note said midnight, It made Sorren feel a little disappointed, but still joyed, because even if it'd be late he was still going to se her.

He replied:

As you wish my love, It will be such a blessing to see you again. Til midnight.

Love, Sorren

And off went the hawk, saoring once again to deliver a messege.