Health foods/products

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol, yeah, 54 is average. xD

But 'you no slim like twig! disgrace to famiri!'

jk jk. hehehe, but yeah, Asians really seem to like the really thin look, so I'm not surprised.
I'm 5' and very underweight ; ;

That feeling when one half of your family calls you fat, the other half calls you skinny.

My mom totally moved into that direction because of a friend, I tried everything she did too, including this disgusting tasting mushroom milk thing... from all the stuff I stayed at taking barley grass tablets, which are really fucking great.

EDIT: However, taking care of your 'health' that way, like through dumb brand protein shakes is wrong and just making money. Did your mother, for example, ever clean her intestine/gut/that fucking word?

Updating this now:

In the past week, I did go through with this as a trial. I'm not sure if I should blame some periods of dizziness on these products, since apparantly my carbohydrate intake is too low. (note: one serving of the meal replacement shake has 11 g of carbohydrates). I don't particularly feel great or bad, though I think I'm a little sleepier than usual and yes, I get really hungry during meals sometimes.

What I don't know is if it's healthy to consume 1200 calories daily, since apparently that's my supposed intake on this Herbalife diet. >_> I'm 5'1" and 54 kg, but I think my mom wants me to go down to 46 -_- She doesn't remember I used to weigh below 45 kg when I was in my sickly periods. I don't want to go back to that time again.
That is way too low Calories... :/
And your weight is perfectly healthy.

@_@ I agree with what others have said. Your weight is healthy (being underweight -- less so!) and that is certainly too few calories, especially for a teen.

It's like I said before -- calories are not the devil! You need those for things! O_O You're probably so dizzy and sleepy all the time because you're not giving your body the fuel it needs. And that's bad. You'll feel a thousand times better if you can manage to put your foot down and go back to eating real food -- and enough of it to sustain you.

People try way too hard to avoid being overweight. Being underweight can be just as problematic. >.<

Updating this now:

In the past week, I did go through with this as a trial. I'm not sure if I should blame some periods of dizziness on these products, since apparantly my carbohydrate intake is too low. (note: one serving of the meal replacement shake has 11 g of carbohydrates). I don't particularly feel great or bad, though I think I'm a little sleepier than usual and yes, I get really hungry during meals sometimes.

What I don't know is if it's healthy to consume 1200 calories daily, since apparently that's my supposed intake on this Herbalife diet. >_> I'm 5'1" and 54 kg, but I think my mom wants me to go down to 46 -_- She doesn't remember I used to weigh below 45 kg when I was in my sickly periods. I don't want to go back to that time again.
1200 calories is few enough that you'd probably be losing weight without needing to exercise even if you have a completely sedentary lifestyle, by which I mean bedridden or something and get literally no exercise at all. To maintain that weight you should be taking in at least 1400 calories per day, because given your height and weight that's about how many calories your body will burn each day just doing its normal functions. Add more calories to that if you're at all active.

It's technically a healthy level of calorie intake if you're looking to lose weight, but not if you're looking to maintain.

1200 calories is few enough that you'd probably be losing weight without needing to exercise even if you have a completely sedentary lifestyle, by which I mean bedridden or something and get literally no exercise at all. To maintain that weight you should be taking in at least 1400 calories per day, because given your height and weight that's about how many calories your body will burn each day just doing its normal functions. Add more calories to that if you're at all active.

It's technically a healthy level of calorie intake if you're looking to lose weight, but not if you're looking to maintain.
I dance, but other than that I don't really do too much workout aside from a lot of walking (I kind of have to). Dancing doesn't really seem to be enough to keep up with the stress-eating, so I'd rather go to maintain my weight or cut off a little bit but not too much. It's just that 1200 calories makes me wonder if I've cut off too much from the supposed daily intake. The opinions seem to vary from person to person.

I dance, but other than that I don't really do too much workout aside from a lot of walking (I kind of have to). Dancing doesn't really seem to be enough to keep up with the stress-eating, so I'd rather go to maintain my weight or cut off a little bit but not too much. It's just that 1200 calories makes me wonder if I've cut off too much from the supposed daily intake. The opinions seem to vary from person to person.
Calculator I used.

Note I put you down for zero exercise since I didn't know the frequency you do it at.
So assuming Dancing and Walking was out of the equation your daily calories should be about 1500.
While 1200 is what you do if losing weight.

But since you're doing exercise? These numbers are going to be higher.
Plus remember Calorie amount =/= Healthiness.
There's nutrients and such to consider as well, if you're strictly looking at Calories your body isn't going to fare well.

Reactions: LunaValentine
Calculator I used.

Note I put you down for zero exercise since I didn't know the frequency you do it at.
So assuming Dancing and Walking was out of the equation your daily calories should be about 1500.
While 1200 is what you do if losing weight.

But since you're doing exercise? These numbers are going to be higher.
Plus remember Calorie amount =/= Healthiness.
There's nutrients and such to consider as well, if you're strictly looking at Calories your body isn't going to fare well.
That's where Mom's Herbalife shake comes in. Supposedly, it has complete nutrition and enough to replace an actual meal, just add fruit and a little oats. That sounds too good to be true.

Before this, I hadn't even really considered protein shakes. Those seem to be geared towards those who go into bodybuilding. Herbalife doesn't seem to qualify as a protein shake, and it's not a meal replacement shake either (imo). Meal replacement drinks seem to be popping up lot these days. I remember coming across that Soylent thing when I was looking up meal replacement.

That's where Mom's Herbalife shake comes in. Supposedly, it has complete nutrition and enough to replace an actual meal, just add fruit and a little oats. That sounds too good to be true.

Before this, I hadn't even really considered protein shakes. Those seem to be geared towards those who go into bodybuilding. Herbalife doesn't seem to qualify as a protein shake, and it's not a meal replacement shake either (imo). Meal replacement drinks seem to be popping up lot these days. I remember coming across that Soylent thing when I was looking up meal replacement.
That's because it is too good to be true.

If shakes were really that healthy, Doctors everywhere would be suggesting it to their patients.
Not random companies.

I mean don't get me wrong, something like a shake or a vitamin pill can be a very useful tool towards getting more healthy.
But it is just that in the end, a tool, not the end solution or answer.

• Love
Reactions: LunaValentine
It's just that 1200 calories makes me wonder if I've cut off too much from the supposed daily intake.

You have.

Again, calories are energy. Fuel. You need those. If you're dizzy, that should be a pretty good indication that you're not getting the calories you need. You shouldn't be trying to lose weight if you're already at a healthy weight, anyway.

You shouldn't have to give yourself less than what your body needs. There's really no benefit to that. If you're overweight thanks to a surplus of calories, then you might have an argument, but as things currently stand? You really shouldn't underfeed yourself. These protein shakes just don't give you everything you need.

Hell, the only time I've ever really seen anyone use protein shakes are to substitute maybe one meal a day. That might actually work well, depending on one's needs. But replacing your entire diet with nothing but what you're "supposed" to consume, when it's really just not giving you enough? That's just a bad idea.

tl;dr -- Eat food. You need it.

• Love
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Status
Not open for further replies.