Healer’s Inferno (Levy x SamVurai)

Twelve.

June took in a sharp breath, tilting her head in something similar to agitation. She was bullheaded, sure, but she wasn't so blinded by her hatred for the fire clan that she would dismiss their suffering. This was probably the closest thing to a cry for help they were capable of. Of course, it wasn't like she didn't want to dismiss it. It wasn't her problem that they couldn't set aside their gargantuan egos for one second to reconsider their unnecessarily aggressive military strategy. God, she wanted nothing more than to just spit in their faces and tell them to fuck off.

But what irked her was that she couldn't, and didn't. Firstly, because if she did, the man sitting before her would probably squash her beneath his steel-toed boot, and then go and raise hell at Earth Clan Headquarters. But what really dug under her skin was that pang in her chest she felt at the stinging sound of that stupid Hellhound's voice saying "twelve." If she didn't know better, he almost sounded hurt.

What's more, even if they hadn't forcibly plucked her from the greenhouse, she might have still felt inclined to heal for them, an objectively impetuous group of people. There was an annoying part of her that, independent of circumstance, felt something akin to sympathy for them, and it irritated her to no end. She shouldn't have to feel sorry for them. Sorry was hard to come by, and she couldn't go around giving out free handouts.

Sighing, she lifted her head and held firm eye contact as she listened to him speak his terms. Her gaze broke for a moment as he mentioned her family in passing. She certainly had one, but she chose not to comment on her current lack of one. Continuing to listen, she nodded at his conditions, they made sense logically.

Her gaze broke for the second time as he spoke to his underling about her housing. She shut her eyes and turned her head away, grimacing. For once, she felt the same way as the hound standing behind her. But still, it seemed that Igneous was insistent on treating her like a temporary guest, less so an unwilling hostage. Before she entered the building, she wasn't even sure if she would be given a bed, let alone proper lodging. She had half a mind to expect to be thrown into a holding cell and given a bowl of gruel for lunch and dinner.

"I don't mind at all, that will be fine. I'm sure his home is indeed..." She paused, glancing back at Samael, "lovely." It didn't mean she loathed the thought of sharing lodging with him any less.

"It's June, sir. I understand the conditions of my stay. I assume I will be accompanying some of your missions on the battlefield, but I ask that most of my work be done in the clinic. Treatment is most effective if done in a controlled environment, as I'm sure you're aware. I have a list of general equipment I'll need, and I will need a few other people assisting me in the clinic. And one other thing." She paused, her eyes piercing into his.

"For the time that I heal for you, I ask that you to cease any and all offensives against my people. If I catch wind of any harm coming to an earth clansmen by the hands of a fire clansmen, the terms of this agreement will end and I will refuse to heal."

"Of course." Igneous grinned, reaching his hand out over his desk to her. "I give you my word, Miss June. No harm will come to your people as long as you heal mine." His small smile remained, head tilted to the side just slightly. "I will do my best to also get you the supplies you require."
Samael sighed to himself, crossing his arms over his chest tightly and furrowing his brows together.
Live with him. How could his leader demand such a thing.
When their meeting had ended, he'd waited in the doorway for June- chewing on his thumbnail in thought as he wondered what room he could put her in..and wondered what people would mention should they see another woman at his home.
Not a single woman had stepped a foot inside his new home since before. Since her...his ex wife and the reason for the deep scar that marred his face.
Samael figured that perhaps the room that was usually used to be a lounge space would do. He could makeshift that room into a bedroom and give her a bed and some plants or something. If she was to live with him he would ensure she felt at least somewhat comfortable. Though he hated it...he hated sharing his home with some woman who obviously shared distaste for him.
He waited for Igneous to dismiss them, moving to stand near the door and hold it open for June- gaze locked outside at his men as they padded out into the hallway to greet him again. A small smile cracked his features at the sight of his men- nodding to them. His men were what made him happy- at the moment at least. They were his family, they took care of him as much as he took care of them.
"You're free to head home, now. I'll see you all tomorrow for training-" he waved them off- turning a little to look back at June.
"If you'll want- we can stop by the market and get you some food items as well as things you may feel you need. I'll pay for them-" [
JUSTIFY]​

June nodded solemnly, seemingly satisfied with his response. There was absolutely no way she could heal enemy wounds in good faith if she knew her own clansmen were suffering.

After negotiations were over, Igneous saw her out of his office with a polite goodbye, and she glanced at Samael as he held the door for her. Brushing past him, she could feel the knot chest rise to her throat as the realization settled in that she'd be sharing a house with this fire user for the foreseeable future. And it wasn't just any yoo-hoo fire clansmen plucked off the street—it was the fire clan's top dog, the man nicknamed after the guardian of the underworld. There was no telling what he could be like in closed quarters.

June was pulled out of her anxious thoughts when he asked to take her to a market. She blinked at him for a moment, a little shocked that he would even make the gesture.

If she was being honest, she was so exhausted that she just wanted to get to whatever barrack or bungalow that man lived in so she could finally have someplace to rest, be it bed or couch or floor—she would settle for anything at that point. But she also knew that a small trip to the market was necessary, as she didn't exactly have time to pack her bags before being taken hostage.

She turned to him, her eyes lowered a little, and nodded. "That's... surprisingly nice of you." She ran a rattled hand through her hair. "But, yes. That would be good." Taking a deep breath, she continued walking alongside him as he led her out of the building through a number of winding hallways.

She only had a small sac of emergency coin wedged into one of her boots, so she would have to keep that safe in the event that she was in some kind of trouble. Any more trouble that she was in now, at least.

They left through a different exit than the one they came in from, which led out to a sprawling marketplace she could imagine being right at the bustling heart of the capital. Merchants of every variety stood in large pitched tents displaying goods and delicates from seemingly every corner of the nation. They squeezed themselves together in long rows—farmers laying out fresh greens, butchers with legs of ham hanging from their tables, merchants with silks and fabrics, vendors with warm slices of pie and sweet buns. Coal and ink and herb and shoes and pots and jewels all blended together in a hodgepodge of items, each seller barking out their goods to attract customers amidst the loud chatter of market-goers.

Everything blended together in an incoherent swirl of sounds and colors. June took a few steps back, her hands curling into her chest as she scanned for what she needed. She could hardly even remember what she wanted, let alone see over this mass of people. Back at home, the markets were much smaller, and far less crowded. And she knew each of the merchants, so she was able to slip in to get what she needed and slip out just as easily.

Samael had grown up with bustling markets such as these- he had a fondness for them. The hustle and bustle of the people and families getting their goods..the life amongst it all. While this may be putting the smaller woman beside him on edge, it put him at ease. It meant he did his job well enough that people could continue on about their days happily.
The broad man's attention was drawn to June, feeling her fall away from his side as he pushed his way through the crowd of people. He stopped moving, back tracking a little bit and standing in front of her- raising a brow. "If it's too much..." he trailed off, realizing he couldn't just say they could leave. That would be going back on his word. "If it's too much you may take my hand or my sleeve..I'm tall enough to guide us both through the market." He extended his arm to the woman, gaze hard but the features of his face softened. "There's some things I need to also get myself."
He could remember being younger, a small child following after his mother in the marketplace and holding tight to the edge of her skirt as she did their families shopping. Being small and being surrounded by hundreds of people in a large and unknown space was scary. Hell, he felt that even now in certain towns he traveled to on business ventures with their leader. Not that he wasn't amongst the two of the most imposing people in the room but being around those of great wealth and even greater treachery always put him on edge. Similar to how being around those you didn't trust or rather those that had a history of being dangerous left this woman in unease.
"If you so please- there's a stall tucked away from here that sells our clans most splendid flora and fauna...perhaps you can take one home for yourself?"
Flowers. That was really the only thing he could come up with that might entice her to push through and perhaps be a little happier or lighter in moods. As he awaited her answer- a young man had approached him from one of the stalls, a smile on his face.
"samael!" He greeted the taller man, clapping the general on the shoulder with an open palm. "It's good to see you back! I assume your mission went well? How did everything go!"
Samael directed his attention to the younger man, the son of the head merchant at the stall. They were a family without power- farmers that came every day to sell their harvests. They had developed a somewhat bond with Samael and his men as they frequently passed through their farmlands when leaving on missions and were always given rations from their farm. "Evening, Elias. It did go well- everything went almost according to plan. A few hiccups but nothing not already expected." He nodded to the younger man then, reaching into his uniform shirt's pocket- pulling out two gold coins with the fire clans insignia and offering them. "May I trouble you for some of your family's goods?"
the younger man took them, nodding with a grin and turning to head back to his family's stall.

June knitted her brows, her eyes following his arm as he held it out for her as a... courteous gesture? Every minute of this day seemed to leave her more and more confounded. Hellhound was not courteous, he was vicious. Mothers don't just hide their children from apparently well-mannered gentlemen.

Even still, she was in unknown clan territory as a complete outsider, sticking out amongst the fire clansmen and women like a sore thumb. From the pale hair, the light green fabric, to the belts and pelts and sacks and knick knacks. She jingled, for god's sake. It was likely the only way she could keep from getting swept up by the crowd, as much as it agitated her to have to rely on him.

Tentatively, she reached out her hand towards him, wrapping it around his lower arm lightly. "If you try anything funny, I'm slicing your arm off." She warned, glancing up at him, and then away again.

Once again, when he opened his mouth to speak to her for a second time, she turned her head to him flabbergasted. Most splendid flora and fauna? He meant to buy her flowers?

She couldn't wrap her head around it. One moment he was throwing darts at her (that admittedly, she threw at him first) and the next he offered her flowers? To what? Assuage her? Make her feel at home? As though she slept on a bed of roses and woke up to water to her extensive plant collection? It was all she could do to keep from rolling her eyes at him. She was a wasn't a fucking gardener, she was a healer, and a damned good one at that.

... Albeit, she did keep a good number of plants.

Before she could stomp her feet and bark at him for being so presumptuous, someone she assumed to be his friend began to greet him, and she ended up being whisked away to his family's stall along with him.

She looked over the transaction as it took place, deciding to push thoughts of flowers out of her mind to make a mental note of everything she needed. Aside from things like soap and tooth paste, her knee jerk instinct was to look for something to lull her pounding head and body, like valerian root or kava. She sighed. Maybe that 'splendid flora and fauna' stall would be worth a stop after all.

"Where's that flower and herb stall you mentioned?" She asked him, looking around the marketplace for it.

"I believe you, Miss." He cracked a little smirk at her, turning his attention back to the boy as they were both dragged to a stall. He simply handed her money and waved her off as she asked about the flower stall- pointing off in the direction away from them. As she walked away- he tapped the stalls table and thanked the man for the goods, simply asking him to deliver them to his home later on.
"I can't let her wander off alone. She could leave, we can't have that."
Samael quietly followed after her then, armed tucked behind his straight and squared back- practically marching like a soldier. It really didn't matter the circumstance, the man would walk with pride and keep his stature tall and imposing. After all, he was a general.
The auburn haired man would wave to people who acknowledged him as he passed- eventually catching up to June.
"My home isn't well suited for plants. If you buy any..it can only be one. So choose wisely, Miss June." As they approached the stall he could already see the merchants face lighting up. A young woman- a little taller than June with soft features and big brown eyes. She didn't look like she belonged to the fire clan..
"Mister Leone! You've come to my stall finally! What can I get you!"
Ah yes, this woman only knew him by his last name. She was an acquaintance of his late wife...though his wife always joked she fancied him more than herself. He didn't see it.
"yes, ma'am..I have a visitor from the Earth Clan with me. She'll be tending to our sick and wounded as a healer-" before he could even finish his sentence and introduction she had interrupted him.
"a Healer!!! Oh my you would've been quite helpful when Mister Leone got that nasty scar...his wi-" Samael cast a dark glance to her, slamming his hand on the stalls counter in a balled up fist- "Enough. We're only here to shop."

June stared at the money that was jerked in her direction, and accepted it hesitantly, watching as he absently waved her off in the direction of the stall. She blinked in disbelief. What was the point of offering his arm to her if he would just make her walk ahead anyway!

The healer took a moment, pinching the bridge of her nose in irritation, before she wedged the money into one of her arm bands and tried to navigate through the crowd, looking for likely the only stall that sold flowers in the marketplace. One hand hooked apprehensively around her other forearm in front of her, she glanced up as she heard the voice of Samael speaking to her, a little startled. She gave him a slight nod as they approached the stall, the merchant addressing Samael warmly.

As the ringings of pleasant greetings echoed in her ears, scanning the selection of flora. The first thing that caught her eye was a gardenia fitted inside of a red clay pot, with a similarly red clay drainage tray at the bottom. She leaned in curiously, reaching to feel the smooth texture of the leaves. Gardenias were known to sprout lush white flowers during the autumn season, and they are most well known for their fragrance, which is often used for its calming and sleep-inducing effects.

She was halfway through picking up the plant before she heard the merchant woman mention something about Samael's scar, and was about to mention something else, before being cut off by an angry fist colliding with the counter top. Instinctively, June flinched back, her hand immediately reaching for her thigh. She stared at him for a moment, before regaining composure again, letting out a deep breath.

What the hell was that? And what terrible thing was she about to say that prompted such unbridled rage from him? His will? Wish? Wisdom? Wife? That last one seemed the most unlikely. Perhaps she misheard. Sighing, she shook away the thoughts. It wasn't like it was any of her business to begin with—he was putting her up during her stay, in fact rather begrudgingly, and that was the extent of the relationship. In any case, it would be a good idea to try to avoid mentioning his scar for the time being... and using any words that begin with "wi-".

Still, if not a little bit curious, she almost felt bad for the young merchant he lashed out at. She had been so bubbly and sweet, but now she was looking rather sullen, like a wilted plant.

"Ah, excuse me Miss? I'd like to purchase this gardenia. Do also happen to have any dried valerian root in stock? Whole, please." She probed, placing the potted plant in front of her.

"Oh, yes dear, I do! If you would like, I can also throw in a bundle of chamomile. It works wonderfully when used in combination with the Gardenia, if you think you might have trouble sleeping. Consider it a thanks for healing our people!" The woman turned behind her quickly, creating two bundles wrapped in gardening twine, valerian root and fresh stalks of chamomile.

The transaction took place smoothly, and she thanked the merchant, leaving the stall with a small brown paper bag in one hand and a potted plant in the other. The merchant waved them off, smiling.

"I'll just need a few more things and then we can go." She said, straining to speak over the crowd they had re-entered. Almost without thinking, she lightly grasped the fabric of his sleeve with one hand and stalked off in the direction of a stall that looked like it catered to the basic needs, hair combs and soaps and those sorts of things.

Slowly but surely, they went down the list of necessities, accumulating more and more bags as they visited each of the stalls. By the time they were finished running errands, the sun was close to setting, and a low amber light lit up the stone path they walked along.

Last edited:
Samael only followed after her, silently, incredulously. How dare that woman mention...her. That part of his life was over. He shouldn't have to relive the history behind the mark that muddled his face. The man was dragged from his seething thoughts at the light tug on his sleeve- following after the smaller woman to another stall. He kept quiet this time, making no move to speak to the vendor- only nodding to them as a greeting as June perused the items.

As time passed he could feel the weight of the day dragging him. The events, like iron shackles around his ankles, causing him to walk much slower...and with a drag. His body felt sore- even though his wounds had been healed by June- it was as if his mind refused to forget the slight beating he'd gained at the hands of the Earth Clansmen. To say it out loud, he was truly exhausted.
"My home is just up the road." He mentioned, yawning into his elbow as they walked. Most of the vendors had covered their stalls, families heading to their homes and walking past the two on their treks. As soon as it became dark enough- little fires ignited across strings that hung between the homes and vendors. Their version of streetlights- something put into effect to keep those who wandered at night safe and in light.
As they approached a small, two story cobblestone home- Samael quickened the pace in his step. His bed was calling to him- he wanted nothing more than to curl up and sleep for a few days but he knew he'd wake up in the morning and find that this day actually happened and he was housing a strange woman. In front of the door, he gripped the iron handle and pushed into the wooden surface of the door to open it- reaching over once inside to light a fire inside an oil lantern that hung from the wall.
The entrance hallway to his home led to the kitchen- pristine and clean with stone floors, which lead to the stairway to the second level. If he were to be so gracious as to give a tour- June would notice that both bedrooms were upstairs- separated by a long hallway. One room at the top of the stairs and the other all the way at the other end. Both doors red and wooden like the front entrance door, an iron handle on both except the one at the very end of the hallway had a lock on it. Had he not indicated this was his home, you would've thought nobody lived here. It was clean, tidy, nothing was out of place.
"Your room is at the top of the stairs. You are free to eat whatever you like from my kitchen, you have a bathroom inside your room. If you should need anything...I request you ask me now or in the morning. I don't need someone waking me up at the late hours of the night." Samael already had one foot on the stairs, hand grabbing the railing- indicating he was ready to go to bed now. He lit another fire on the oil lanterns that hung on the wall up the stairs- the dim flames illuminating his features. Too many times did he stand above someone, just barely visible in the darkness with flames showing his most prominent features. Though the difference between now and then was his sharp and stone set features just appeared soft, worn and tired. He didn't look like some military tyrant- he just looked tired.
"Hot water, if you prefer it, is only available if I heat up the boiler. If you want it, I can go heat it up now for you. Otherwise, I will go to bed and see you tomorrow."
Had it been a NORMAL day- he would have made himself a small meal upon returning home, bathed and fallen asleep only to be woken up a few hours later by the dreams that plagued him. However this wasn't normal and he was trying to keep up good host skills while also exhausted out of his mind. He wasn't hungry, had no energy to actually bathe himself and felt that if he closed his eyes too long where he stood, he'd fall asleep right there.

Last edited:
  • Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: Levy
June followed him towards the doorstep, her gait stiff and her features apprehensive. It was one thing to conduct business and negotiation within fire clan headquarters—which, simply by itself made her stomach twist into knots—and even wandering about the clan's marketplace felt impersonal enough to where she was on edge, but still okay.

But this? Residing within not just general fire clan territory, but alongside one of their clansmen? And not just any random fire hound, it had to be the Hellhound, under whose roof she would be sleeping, eating, and bathing, and in whose company she would be spending the most time, not by choice, but by proxy. She almost would've preferred a cell. It was far too personal for her to be okay with, and moreover, it left her completely vulnerable. She doubted he would do anything to her—like she gathered previously, she was a valuable asset to his clan, and it wouldn't make any logical sense for him to attack her or otherwise do anything that would impede her ability to heal.

Even still, wasn't sure what she was expecting to see when she stepped inside, but the thought itself made her a little queasy. This is where she would be staying for the foreseeable future. Would it be harsh, cold and un inviting, like the metal walls that seemed to close close on on her hours ago? Would there be a mantle over the fireplace lined with grisly weapons, or perhaps rugs made of earthy animal skins? What if he was secretly a disaster, and the whole house was in shambles? With his short and fiery temper, she wouldn't put it past him. Nervously, she readjusted the bags in her hands, bracing herself as he held the door for her.

As he held the oil lamp up and she stepped in, however, she found what looked like... a completely normal home. Stone floors for the kitchen, wood for the living space, pristine leather furniture, comfortably high ceilings, and pleasantly modern decorum. For a moment, she simply stared, a bit at a loss for words, until his curt voice stirred her back to the present moment.

"No, I'll be okay."

She nodded to him, her eyes following him as he somewhat trudged up the stairs while she entered the kitchen. June sighed, her body practically screaming at her to give it an ounce of rest. A little haphazardly, she tossed all of her food goods into a shelf in his refrigerator, and then grabbed the rest of the bags. Tired feet and tired legs carried her up the stairs, opening the door to the room he had previously designated as hers.

It was decorated in a similar fashion to the rest of the house, but she didn't pay very much attention to her surroundings, which was incredibly out of character for her. Her mind and body felt far too heavy for any critical thinking to be taking place. She set the rest of the bags down, shut the door, and crawled into bed, not bothering to turn the lights on or undress herself. She thought she was too tired to eat anything, but now that she was laying down, she realized it was nausea gnawing at the pit of her stomach.

Discomfort.

That was all she had felt the minute she stepped off that caravan into fire clan territory. Hellhound's show of remorse and grief at the loss of his men; Igneous' playful demeanor with his subordinates; The lively buzz filled with laughter and chatter of fire clansmen in bar that she had passed through; The garden variety hustle and bustle of the market place, simple and mundane.

How the hell was she supposed to accept that? Be okay with that? Even acknowledge it? When that same day a pack of their hell demons pillaged her greenhouse, nearly fucking killed half their guards, held their gardeners hostage, and effectively kidnapped her? Shipped her here to do their bidding, under the threat of annihilating her people if she refused?

No. She couldn't, and wouldn't accept it. Not if she wanted to hold on to any ounce of her sanity. They were cruel, ruthless, calculating. That was the fire clan she knew, and simply being here wasn't going to change that.