1. Elementary
  2. Intermediate
  3. Adept
  4. Advanced
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Modern/realistic. Low fantasy. Low Scifi. Supernatural. Future Dystopia (not post-apoc).
We are no longer recruiting. Please ignore this ad.

Headphone Jack (synopsis)

Headphone Jack is a group thread RP which takes place in the country of Musica, whose political party
Metallica
has outlawed music approximately 100 years ago through
The Mute Movement.

Musica is bordered by the countries of Indie, Emo, and Headphone. Separated by
The Great Wall
, it is patrolled constantly to keep out musical contraband. There are whispers of an impending war between Musica, Indie, and Emo. Headphone, however, remains neutral.

Two gangs in Musica have formed -
NuMetal
(Nus) and
Electronica
(Elecs). Nus deal mainly media (CDs, etc.) while Elecs specialize in music creation devices, such as instruments. Both gangs get their product from Headphone in operations called
Jacks

Clefs
are the law enforcement of Musica. Their aim is to completely eliminate music and gang activity.
Metallica
has made this easy for them, as the penalty for gang affiliation and music trade is death.

The roleplay takes place in Musica's capital city of O Town. Players are encouraged to have multiple characters whose roles can be that of gang members, clefs, or civilians. If this synopsis interests you, continue to the Recruit thread to read the full introductory lore, rules, and how to join.

We are always accepting new players.
In the IC thread, many RP posts have summaries and there is also a synopsis of previous pages, so it's never too late to jump in! =]​

Mechanics

- Originally a sandbox RP. Has periods of GM-led plot if necessary to keep activity going.
- Posting expectancy: 1 - 2x per week, but open to change (official rule is at least once every 14 days).
- Character death is acceptable. Multiple characters encouraged.
- Player-contributed worldbuilding and plotting encouraged.
- Players of all skill types accepted, but posts must be in third person paragraphs.​

A Note From the GM

Headphone Jack was created as a sandbox roleplay where characters and players decided where the story would go. Your GM (@Vardoger) is highly adaptable however and can help move plot points if desired.

The focal points at this current time appear to be:
- Finding the DJ and/or replicating it (the DJ is a neurotoxin explained in the introductory lore)
- Saving the NuMetal gang from dissolution

We are currently actively looking for people to play NuMetal characters, but at this time you can still join any group. You can help push the current plots forward, or branch off and create your own that people can follow. I can assist with whatever you want to do. The recruit thread talks a lot about the Player-driven Wiki. Contributions to this are highly encouraged, but are not required to join and enjoy the RP.

I'm a rather new GM so I am more than willing to take suggestions and/or criticisms.

Thank you for reading and I hope to see you in Headphone Jack!

[btn=modb|https://www.iwakuroleplay.com/threads/headphone-jack-a-gang-music-rp-seeking-nus-signups-ooc.155013/#post-3297177|self]Recruit / OOC Thread[/btn] [btn=modb|https://www.iwakuroleplay.com/threads/ic-headphone-jack.155016/|self]IC Thread[/btn]​

0TcsGoi.jpg
Look, listen to my voice
If you're making the choice
Tell me all the girls and the boys
Either scream or rejoice
Let's make that noise
Either move or we will all be destroyed

Move and show me what you can do
When you step into the circle and shake like we do
Move when you just can't take it
And move if you just feel like breaking it

Can you hear me? Stop, look, listen to my voice,
It was never my choice to feel all alone
This is my home
Back up , you don't know if you've never been here,
You've never been to the place inside, I face my fears
It takes everything I am

If you come near me, stop, look, listen to my voice
If you're making the choice tell all the girls and the boys
Either scream or rejoice
Let's make that noise
Either move or we will all be destroyed
Back up and let go if you've never been here,
You've never been to the place inside, I face my fears,
It takes everything I am

I come crashing to the floor
And I know there must be more like me
I've seen this all before, I can't carry this anymore, break free
Breathe, and leave until the storm is over
'Cause underneath, there's a diamond passing over
So breathe, let's leave until the storm is over,
Because I want to take you away

And move if you just feel like breaking

musicamap.jpg
The Mute Movement.

When
Metallica
political party took over, the country of
Musica
went through a profound cultural shift. Under the totalitarian dictatorship, all music was banned.
Singing? No. Humming? Gone.
Any remote relationship to rhythm was quickly silenced and the perpetrator forcefully detained by the
Clefs
The Great Wall
was built to divide Musica from its music-loving border nations of
Indie, Emo,
and
Headphone
. Clefs were instructed to shoot anything suspicious on sight, making emmigration and trade difficult. The dissatisfaction is now beginning to culminate and there are whispers of war.

Approximately 100 years later, Musicians believe the Metallica is benevolent and agree with the music ban. Most citizens of Musica have never heard music, and if faced with it, recoil in pain. This is due to
the Tie
, a device implanted into native Musicians' inner ears in infancy which painfully vibrates when frequencies outside human speech are heard.
Music's painful connotations have fostered a culture of hate toward melodies and those who engage with them. What kind of people enjoy tormenting others?

Enter the rival gangs,
Electronica
and
NuMetal
, the members of each labeled Elecs and Nus. With the invention of a secret procedure known as
Tempo Control
, they have been able to remove Musicians' Ties and enjoy music without pain.

The Nus specialize in media and consumption while the Elecs concentrate on instruments and production. Both gangs illegally provide all sorts of music paraphernalia, from CDs to pianos, through what the gangs call
Headphone Jacks
- the process of acquiring the items from the neutral bordering country of Headphone.

Both gangs have been running for about five years, but unbeknownst to many, have a common origin:
Nausicaa
. It was a rumble between the two original co-founders that produced the rival gangs. Now, they fight against eachother for territory, patrons, and power. Both have a wish to overthrow Metallica and overturn the music ban, but until they can get to that point, their standard operating procedures differ too much to work together.

Distributing illegal music paraphenalia, planning to overthrow the government, and generally engaging in deviant behavior have all caused gang members to be labeled as outlaws. Any known members should be reported to the clefs immediately.

The penalty for gang affiliation and music dealing is death. The punishment for simply enjoying music? One year in prison and
Reformation
- a process whereby a neurotoxin completely removes the ability to hear anything outside the spectrum of human speech.
The court's jury that decides the outcome? Clefs, not peers!

However, there is still hope. There's been hushed rumors of
The DJ
, a juice that not only has the ability to restore a Reformed Musician's hearing, but also grants the user impervious to any Reformation in the future.

The DJ, if found, could be a severe threat to the Metallica, intiate national change, and grant the gang who finds it impenetrable power.

The gang with the juice wins Musica. And once Musica is won, they can run their world as they please, without a rival gang being in their way. A revolution will come.

There's just one problem: No one knows where it is.

ryequote.jpg
Ryan ("Rye")
, the head of the Nus, is said to have an older brother that is a Clef. The Elecs don't know if this information is true, but assume it to be. The Nus are never given clarification on the matter, since whenever Ryan's past is brought up, someone gets the beatdown. His short temper makes running the gang difficult, but he manages.

raequote.jpg
Electronica's leader,
Rachel ("Rae")
, is believed to be the source of Rye's animus. Running the Elecs more like a business than a labor of love, she has high profile connections and an even higher profit margin.

To join a gang, prospective members must go through the
beat-in
. If the applicants endure this, they may have their Tie removed and go on their intiatory mission -
A First Accent
- to prove themselves as dedicated to the gang.

After these introductory practices, the members are considered part of the family and are to be protected under that gang. Once substantial trust is gained, they can begin to learn the trade secrets and start dealing, selling, and/or participating in Headphone Jacks.

In this roleplay, players may play the role of civilians, gang members, or Clefs. All characters reside in Musica, and most of the action happens inside the capital city
O Town.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.