Have you ever wondered....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could actually answer some of these. :ferret:

Sometimes I wonder why the physics of the universe behaves the way it does, and muse to myself what it would be like if any of it worked differently. Like gravity, or radiation.

Reactions: Hatsune Candy
Why does my voice sound so terrible in recordings? D:

The recording is actually what your voice sounds like. We hear our own voices differently because of subtle vibrations that makes our tones and pitches sound distinct from what others hear. It's kind of like how you think all your pictures look weird or wrong because we're used to seeing our reversed image in the mirror, and asymmetric features are opposite when reflected, so our true image looks off.

Why do dogs enjoy being petted so much? Save perhaps fellow primates, we are the only species truly capable of performing your run-of-the-mill "petting action". Dogs and their canine historical counterparts don't pet each other, so why do they enjoy something uniquely human? Same goes for many other species, including cats, horses, etc... Do our hands mimic licking? Is being soothed while rubbed something intrinsic to a long line of evolution?

Why do dogs enjoy being petted so much? Save perhaps fellow primates, we are the only species truly capable of performing your run-of-the-mill "petting action". Dogs and their canine historical counterparts don't pet each other, so why do they enjoy something uniquely human? Same goes for many other species, including cats, horses, etc... Do our hands mimic licking? Is being soothed while rubbed something intrinsic to a long line of evolution?
I'm not sure about the specifics.
But I'd hazard the guess it has to do with the fact that dogs are evolutionary result of human interaction.

Dog's didn't randomly come to be in the wild, we as humans played an active role in selectively breeding wolves to have specific traits to be more social, friendly, loyal, and eventually cute.
It would make sense that along those same lines we evolved dog's to enjoy petting as a way to easily express praise/rewards to them. Or as a manner to help dog's be more social with humans.

Reactions: Dervish
Sometimes I wonder why the physics of the universe behaves the way it does, and muse to myself what it would be like if any of it worked differently. Like gravity, or radiation.
Oh thank goodness I'm not the only one who does this.

I also like to wonder what the world would be like if another species, entirely different from humans, had evolved to be sapient right along side us. Although given the general history of the human race, I can't imagine it going down very well.

I also like to wonder what the world would be like if another species, entirely different from humans, had evolved to be sapient right along side us. Although given the general history of the human race, I can't imagine it going down very well.
Assuming our cave men ancestors count, we apparently try to rape it and/or kill it. If one were to survive to the modern day though? Idk. Racism would take on a whole different meaning, that's for sure. You might enjoy this TV Show, it explores a similar idea.

• Love
Reactions: Hatsune Candy
I only wonder about really fucking morbid things

If I stuck a needle in the dark part of my eye but stopped before the optical nerve, would I feel it?

are nine storeys enough to die when you hit the ground, or would you be more likely to just have a shitton of broken bones, internal bleeding, etc.

I read an article about this, actually. Petting is a bonding thing between dogs and their humans. Their brains release a small amount of Oxytocin (the "cuddle chemical") when they're pet.

Assuming our cave men ancestors count, we apparently try to rape it and/or kill it. If one were to survive to the modern day though? Idk. Racism would take on a whole different meaning, that's for sure. You might enjoy this TV Show, it explores a similar idea.
Didn't we kind of breed?
Like the Neanderthals went instinct but some of their gene's still live on within our own species?

Didn't we kind of breed?
Like the Neanderthals went instinct but some of their gene's still live on within our own species?
Yes. About 1-4% of our DNA is Neanderthal. As I said: Rape.

Lots and lots of rape.

More rape than a Game of Thrones marathon. Even with creatures that we couldn't feasibly breed with, but which we desperately tried anyway. Cringeworthy, really.

Reactions: redblood
Yes. About 1-4% of our DNA is Neanderthal. As I said: Rape.

Lots and lots of rape.

More rape than a Game of Thrones marathon. Even with creatures that we couldn't feasibly breed with, but which we desperately tried anyway. Cringeworthy, really.
... Humanity is seriously messed up. >.<

are nine storeys enough to die when you hit the ground, or would you be more likely to just have a shitton of broken bones, internal bleeding, etc.
It honestly depends on what the variables are. I mean, there have been stories of people surviving falling out of a bloody plane, thousands of feet up in the air, mostly just outta pure luck; but at the same time, people have died from falls much shorter than nine stories.

The important thing is to create drag to decrease the rate at which you fall, and land in such a way that the risk of fatal injury is at its absolute minimum. At any rate, though, you're definitely not walking way without at least a few broken bones.

I was gonna ask "what we're the people who first invented ancumpuncture thinking, sticking in needles to help pain?" but then I read this.

If I stuck a needle in the dark part of my eye but stopped before the optical nerve, would I feel it?

And for some reason, now I feel I understand XD

On different planets with different kinds of suns and atmospheres, would all the colors look different? O__O

On different planets with different kinds of suns and atmospheres, would all the colors look different? O__O
If you mean physically? No. The light spectrum doesn't magically change, nor do the colours you can visibly perceive--there are thousands of colours outside of our ability for our eyes to process them. Different planets with different atmospheres however would have different colours penetrate through, giving that impression. The reason the sun looks yellow and the sky looks blue is because those are the wavelengths that best travel through our oxygen-nitrogen-carbon dioxide rich atmosphere. Get outside the atmosphere and the sun looks like a big blinding ball of white instead of the yellow we see on Earth.

tl;dr: You wouldn't perceive any new colours, but different ambient colours are completely within the realm of plausibility. Purple is still purple, but the sky on a different world might be purple instead of blue. :ferret:

Status
Not open for further replies.