Have you ever experienced paranormal phenomena?

Discussion in 'THREAD ARCHIVES' started by Seiji, May 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Question in the title.

Elaboration: "Paranormal" can be anything! Ghostly encounters, demonic attacks, extra-terrestrial visitations, unexplained phenomena... anything!

If you've experienced something you've never been able to explain before, please feel free to share here!

Addendum: Do you even believe in the existence of any of the above listed? Why, or why not?

[​IMG]

2. My grandfather passed away 10 years ago around Christmas time. We usually had Christmas get togethers at my mother's house, but that year we had it at his house. While we were all sitting down for dinner the smoke detector started going off. We thought it just needed new batteries so we kind of shrugged it off, but when we pulled it down from the ceiling there were no batteries in it. We kept it that way the whole night, and it continued to go off the whole night, the light was on and everything. My aunt who lives in the house now has never put batteries in it, and says it still goes off all the time, especially on holiday's and special family events.

And in another creepy coincidence that I'm not sure is paranormal, my cousin had got pregnant the week that he died. She had a son, and when he was born he looked exactly like our grandfather, including different sized/shaped ears. The only difference is, her son has hazel eyes and our grandfather had blue eyes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thank Thank x 1
  3. I don't believe in the paranormal. I believe that all phenomena is explainable- ghosts, demons, those things "outside the forces of nature"... yeah no. Nothing here.

That having been said I have had a prophetic dream once. Can't explain it. Not sure if I want to.

• Thank Thank x 1
  4. Well, this was a story from my mother about me when I was a wee child:

I guess I grew up to be sort of a sensitive? I really don't know how to explain it -- I will walk into a home and instantly feel a difference that others can't. Like... I walked into this old home my parents were touring and I felt an overwhelming sense of sadness, the air felt thick too. And when I went outside, I was fine. I would walk back in and it would strike again. I don't know, I thought it was odd and I really don't take about it too much because even I think it's too weird or could be explained.

I got other tales too, but I spammed this post enough. xD

• Love Love x 1
    • Thank Thank x 1
  5. I believe in the paranormal to some extent. I'm fascinated by the idea of ghosts and the like, but I won't ever truly believe in them without the proper evidence. Which is a bit of an issue when the majority of the cases that go public are quite clearly hoaxes. You see, I'm more of a logical person, I lack faith of any kind. But I am interested in the unknown and the potential discoveries that still await us somewhere out there in the universe, without going overboard, of course. I prefer to keep an open mind if at all possible, even at the means of accepting that I might be wrong.

That being said, have I experienced any paranormal events? I've had my fair share, and a friend of mine has been there for some of them. It's usually something small, like a weird, reoccurring low-pitched humming sound coming from a specific place at night with no apparent source or all the clocks in my house skipping ahead an hour right before my eyes and I'm the only one that notices. The most memorable one is a more recent one and it's a bit silly sounding.

The gist of it is that strange things have been happening in my room for quite a while now. Sometimes I can either feel something jumping on or jumping off my bed when I'm trying to sleep, and the outcomes always the same, I get up immediately to find that there's nothing there. Other times, on the off chance that I leave my door open at night, it closes on its own every single time. I've checked several times and most of time it's when everyone else is asleep. It gives me the creeps, but I never really thought much of it.

Until one very early morning, I felt something jumping off my bed again. This time when I get up to check I see the faint image of a cat walking across my room, way to small to be any of my cats and definitely not the right set of colors. It had brown spots on white fur, nothing at all like either of my two cats. Anyways, it stops in front of my dresser and just sits there, facing away from me. Without looking away, I go to turn on the light, but it completely disappears the very instant the light shines on it. And that would not be the last time I saw it.

Quite frankly, despite myself, I'm starting to think that my bedroom is haunted by a ghost cat.

• Love Love x 1
    • Thank Thank x 1
  6. I think my problem with paranormal activity is how good these ghosts seem to be at avoiding cameras and scientific instruments. It's not so much that I believe that ghosts are impossible, it's that I don't believe that anything could avoid scientific study that well.

Like most people on this board have mentioned, these phenomena often happen to only one person without witnesses and practically never in front of cameras, much the less scientific instruments. I'm open to the idea, I just put more faith in human error than in the ability of supernatural thingies to avoid science.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thank Thank x 1
  7. Well...I don't know if this will be liked or appreciated. But Science is the study and experimentation of physical objects and people. Ghosts and paranormal activity is not physical therefore. Scientific instruments shouldn't be able to even pick them up.

Me myself, I don't really believe in Ghosts. Nothing has ever happened and everyone that has told me about them has never had any proof. They are always alone, in dark places. I think 'Paranormal' activity is just the person being paranoid and seeing things. Though I can't explain some peoples stories...but that is just my own two cents.

• Thank Thank x 1

8. From Wikipedia: "Science (from Latinscientia, meaning "knowledge") is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe."
    I don't think being physical is at all a qualification. After all, we've done pretty well with gravity and I don't think gravity is a physical object- but then again, I made a B in physics.

• Thank Thank x 1
  9. I'm in physics and gravity isn't really tested on. It's always a given after we found it out, I'm saying that scientists cannot build something to specifically search for something paranormal. Most scientists I have asked (Not people who claim to be a scientist) All said this. If Ghosts are real, science cannot explain it, just like religion, but that is a different topic.

• Thank Thank x 1
  10. Maybe you're psychic? Have you ever considered that? I don't know too much about psychic abilities, if they even exist. But since the human is only vaguely understood, I assume it's possible given the right conditions.
    Yeah, but there's so much mystery to the possibilities of ghost there's hardly even a definitive theory on what a ghost is, or isn't. For all we know they could just be camera shy. I'm mean, if ghosts were sentient, they might not like to be photographed by strangers. I'm just throwing out ideas here, anything's possible.

• Thank Thank x 1
  11. Doubtful. Not because I don't think it's possible, but I wouldn't want to claim as such. I had a lot of strange things happen, but I wouldn't go as far as to say I am.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I only asked because the way you described it sounded a lot like what most psychics I know feel in similar situations, I wouldn't know how else to explain it. And I simply suggested it as a possible explanation, it has nothing to do with claiming or not claiming to be psychic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thank Thank x 1
  13. But ghosts aren't purely a matter of faith. They can be seen & felt, they are a physical force at work in the world. Why can science not explain them? If they don't follow the laws of nature, how do they exist?
    Also, having gone through AP physics... gravity is tested on? I'm not 100% sure what you're talking about.

Osama bin Laden was camera shy. Didn't really work out in the end. :/ I think assuming that every ghost in the world can outsmart every photographer is just a bit of a stretch. It's possible, but when you hear hoofbeats...

also, I know this wasn't addressed to me, but the human body is very well understood. There are hardly any processes that we can't explain. I'm in AP Bio and I can tell you on the cellular level how human life happens... not sure how much mystery is really left. :/

• Thank Thank x 1
  14. How can ghosts be seen and felt, but when it happens. Only one or two people 'see' or 'feel' it. They never get it on camera, they never get a picture, etc. It's all about someone talking about it. I have gone to my friends house, and his entire family claims it's haunted. I lived in their house for two days while they went to a hotel, and nothing happened.

I have never once encountered a ghost or anything supernatural. I have only heard stories, and those television shows about ghosts aren't live. They have time to go back, edit the film, add in things, so those aren't reliable.

So why is it only a select few (Though that few is actually millions) be able to see and capture ghosts on cameras?

Also, how are they a physical force in this world?

Gravity is tested with physical objects. We can't just hold a device into the air and judge the gravity, no. We grab a physical object, drop it, test the velocity, distance, etc. Either that, or I just don't pay attention in my classes.

• Thank Thank x 1
  15. @Smo
    Sounds to me you're more sensitive than anything else. I can share the same claim. I've been places where I just felt that things were 'off'.

@Lady Sabine
    I've never seen or experienced any paranormal activity (of the ghostly kind), but I acknowledge that they certainly have the potential of existing. This has been the case with science for centuries; while we can acknowledge that something can exist, we cannot yet prove it. Just because we do not have the tools or means to find hard, physical evidence of ghosts or spirits or demons, does not mean they do not exist.

Take for example the electromagnetic spectrum of light. Ours eyes can only see a tiny fraction of it. Does that mean the rest of the universe that exists out of that band of frequency doesn't exist? It just means we can't see it yet. We have tools that can see those bands, but from what I recall, we still believe there exists more light that we haven't discovered how to peek into.

@All
    I like the show Ghost Hunters. Yes, they've yet to capture any verifiable and unambiguous proof, but they go about it scientifically with the goal of actually disproving what people are claiming is paranormal activity. They approach the subject like scientists, but they all believe. I appreciate that, and it's a reflection of how I feel. I believe, but I have no solid proof of it.

Kind of reflects my sentiment on extraterrestrials, which I included in the subject of some paranormal phenomena.

Simply put, out of the vast billions upon billions of stars, how can we have the arrogance to say that we are the only sentient life in the vast cosmos?

16. Poltergeists move around physical objects. Gravity moves around physical objects. Gravity exists and can be measured, predicted, quantified- why can't poltergeist activity?

Concerning holding a device and judging gravity... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_scale
    That is literally the point of all scales. Measuring the mass of an item. What is mass? Gravity's effect on items. Why can't set set up a scale and watch a poltergeist move against gravity?

• Thank Thank x 1

17. Yes, but we can measure the spectrum of light using devices other than our eyes and extrapolate that data. Why can't ghosts walk in front of a meter and be read and quantified?

I also invite you to look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell's_teapot
    More or less, the powers-that-be are of the opinion that scientific theory is false until it can be reliably found true. Therefore we ought to scientifically assume ghosts are not real until at least one experiment can reliably prove otherwise.

• Thank Thank x 1
  18. I do believe in them, only not like others do. I believe they are there but I think quite a bit of these 'ghost sightings' is a bunch of paranoids idiots running around in the dark.

Also, this:

[​IMG]

• Love Love x 1
  19. Alright, until I'm shown proof of a Poltergeists movements or what they effect. Then I will not believe that ghosts physically effect this world. I believe Ghosts are real, but I don't believe half the things people say they do.

I believe Ghosts are the souls that are stuck in Limbo and waiting Judgement to go to Heaven or Hell, but Limbo is full and sometimes they 'appear' in our Physical world while being in their own, but they cannot effect ours as they have already left. That is my personal opinion. I haven't been proved wrong, but my opinion hasn't been proven right.

• Thank Thank x 1
  20. Because reasons.

That was exactly why we couldn't measure gravity in any appreciable, understandable way until recently (outside of general measuring of weight, as you pointed out).

I have no doubt that we can, or will, eventually uncover some means of measuring paranormal activity. We're already trying. Electromagnetic detectors, digital thermometers, thermal cameras... Things have been captured through these devices. Unfortunately, these things are hotly disputed and contested, and only accepted in terms of evidence by the actual ghost hunting community.

Everyone else just calls it a guy in a Bigfoot suit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.