Have we become "too sensitive?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I find the whole term "trigger warning" silly instead of just going with the old fashioned disclaimers, they aren't really put there because people have thin skin. It's more for people who suffered from a traumatic event and basically have PTSD flashbacks if they come across something that makes them think of it. Kind of like how war veterans have all sorts of horrible and varied reactions to PDST, be it overreacting to loud noises, finding war movies unwatchable because they bring back bad memories, and so on so forth, some rape and sexual assault victims have very similar responses to their trauma, and even just reading about sexual assault might bring them back to when it happened to them.

It's really not hard to just skim past it. Just remember, it's not for you. It's a courtesy thing for other people.

Now, granted, there's a lot of people who act victimized over literally anything and act like total bags of shit for no reason, making a "Boy of Cried Wolf" situation for actual survivors of horrific situations, much in the same way where it's gotten to the point where when most people think of the word feminist, radical man haters come to mind instead of people who just want equality and fair treatment between sexes.

But nowadays people will claim they have PTSD for the most mundane reasons, as you referenced in the last part of your post. Like I said earlier, there will always be good people with good intentions, but the small and vocal minority will always ruin things for the entire group. I can understand trigger warnings for rape and war, but for bullying? Trigger warnings for depression? I've seen both, and I thought they were a tad ridiculous.

Coddling someone isn't kindness. Sometimes tough love can seem cruel, but I don't see the point of sheltering people from stuff they will most likely have to deal with or see for the rest of their life. Instead there should be emphasis on how to deal with their emotions in a healthy manner rather than uselessly trying to protect them from something they will eventually have to face again.

Real life... does... come with trigger warnings...

Have you ever bought a movie and before it begins it's like "Rated R for graphic violence, frontal nudity, scenes of a sexual nature, disturbing imagery etc".

Those are literally content warnings.

Content warnings meant to discourage underage viewers? I think that's a bit of a stretch for a comparison. Trigger warnings apply to all ages while content warnings only apply to little Jimmy so he doesn't accidentally think Wet & Wild 9 is a surfing movie. I see what you are trying to say, but I don't see how it applies in this context.

Also, movies =/= real life. I'm talking about how there are no 'depression' or 'suicide' trigger warnings when you go to school one morning to find your childhood friend's desk empty one day. Or there are no trigger warnings if your best friend tells you about how he got raped by his babysitter when he was 12. Real life doesn't come with nifty warning signs that let you know ahead of time what's going to happen.

But nowadays people will claim they have PTSD for the most mundane reasons, as you referenced in the last part of your post. Like I said earlier, there will always be good people with good intentions, but the small and vocal minority will always ruin things for the entire group. I can understand trigger warnings for rape and war, but for bullying? Trigger warnings for depression? I've seen both, and I thought they were a tad ridiculous.

Coddling someone isn't kindness. Sometimes tough love can seem cruel, but I don't see the point of sheltering people from stuff they will most likely have to deal with or see for the rest of their life. Instead there should be emphasis on how to deal with their emotions in a healthy manner rather than uselessly trying to protect them from something they will eventually have to face again.

Content warnings meant to discourage underage viewers? I think that's a bit of a stretch for a comparison. Trigger warnings apply to all ages while content warnings only apply to little Jimmy so he doesn't accidentally think Wet & Wild 9 is a surfing movie. I see what you are trying to say, but I don't see how it applies in this context.

Also, movies =/= real life. I'm talking about how there are no 'depression' or 'suicide' trigger warnings when you go to school one morning to find your childhood friend's desk empty one day. Or there are no trigger warnings if your best friend tells you about how he got raped by his babysitter when he was 12. Real life doesn't come with nifty warning signs that let you know ahead of time what's going to happen.

First off, those warnings are effective in warning anyone who is capable of reading?

And of course there aren't warnings for things like a friend dying, but when it is possible to opt out of emotional distress, why is it arrogant to want to do that? Just giving a heads up before potentially distressing content isn't harming anyone in anyway. If someone had a bad experience and wanted to avoid things that would force them back to that point emotionally, why would you deny them that? That's like taking someone who is lactose intolerant and forcing them to drink a jug of milk because "oooh it won't kill you tough it out" Yeah, they won't die, but they are definitely gonna be feeling like shit.

Yeah. Western liberalism has vaulted completely off the proverbial deep end. It's gotten to the stage where voicing a contrasting perspective that runs starkly against the progressive status quo can (and more than likely will) firmly land a person in boiling hot water if proper caution isn't exercised. Quality examples of this acute buffoonery can be found in some of the threads that I've posted in on Iwaku---namely the "Black Girls Rock" one where I was savagely lambasted for highlighting black cultural dysfunction.

Also, read Helen Smith's Men on Strike if you want a glimpse into the nigh-irreversible damage feminism has wrought upon males in the US. It's almost a crime to be a dude if you're on a US college campus.

Though, the vicious LET'S BE AS OFFENSIVE AS POSSIBLE BECAUSE WE'RE ANGRY :3 "counter grassroots movement" that's been gaining prominence lately only makes the cynical misanthrope within me grow ever the more empowered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah. Western liberalism has vaulted completely off the proverbial deep end. It's gotten to the stage where voicing a contrasting perspective that runs starkly against the progressive status quo can (and more than likely will) firmly land a person in boiling hot water if proper caution isn't exercised. Quality examples of this acute buffoonery can be found in some of the threads that I've posted in on Iwaku---namely the "Black Girls Rock" one where I was savagely lambasted for highlighting black cultural dysfunction.

Also, read Helen Smith's Men on Strike if you want a glimpse into the nigh-irreversible damage feminism has wrought upon males in the US. It's almost a crime to be a dude if you're on a US college campus.

Though, the vicious LET'S BE AS OFFENSIVE AS POSSIBLE BECAUSE WE'RE ANGRY :3 "counter grassroots movement" that's been gaining prominence lately only makes the cynical misanthrope within me grow ever the more empowered.
So... you went into a positivity thread and tried to bring up negative traits? Like, why??? Why would you do that? That is such a jerk thing to do.

Reactions: Old Man Seiji
This thread makes me want the goddamn negative system back really bad. I would be handing out smites and dislikes like cheap cigars. Some of you are getting incredibly aggressive/passive aggressive, and need to tone it the hell down.

Saying trigger warning is the stupidest thing ever. I feel like my IQ dropped just typing it. My short answer is that I agree with the OP.

Cool it, folks.

Quality examples of this acute buffoonery can be found in some of the threads that I've posted in on Iwaku---namely the "Black Girls Rock" one where I was savagely lambasted for highlighting black cultural dysfunction.

And I guess you could say that you were... offended by this, perhaps?

There are at times warnings of these things, depending on how much a person hides them. But, this is where the argument comes full circle, because we fall back into the 'oversensitive' issue. What will happen when that best friend who talks about getting raped by his babysitter comes clean? Depending on the circumstances, (I'm going to go with the idea that the babysitter is female, as most caregivers for children generally are.) people will most likely laugh about it and say he's being too oversensitive, that males cannot be raped by females. Throw in a reverse role and have the kid being the female and the babysitter being the male, and 'Boom!' babysitter is in jail, and the kid is in counseling. And this is where the problem lies.

People are not treating each other equally, because everyone feels some twisted sense of self-entitlement. They're special because they're gay, straight, or are in love with a blender, and they deserve special attention while everyone else does not. If Jimmy and Timmy are both kicked out of the house at fourteen, Jimmy because he came out as gay, and Timmy because his parents are dicks, who gets the attention? No one cares that there are two kids who are struggling to survive and have no one to help them, they only seem to pay attention when you throw in 'Jimmy came out, and his parents threw him out'. Meanwhile, poor Timmy is in the same boat and it's 'Too bad, kid. Shouldn't have been a brat.' Who's to say that Jimmy wasn't a demon spawn from the 9th level of hell and Timmy was a straight A student who never got in trouble? It doesn't matter who the individual is, but because they have a label it automatically signifies them as better in the eyes of others..

And I guess you could say that you were... offended by this, perhaps?
HNcxBh.jpg

*breathes deep*

The level of butthurt from jimmies being rustled fuels my hate engine.

Yes, be angry. Be angry that we continue to shake the bushes and destroy your precious little status quo!

HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Man, I can't wait until this thread is locked by someone.

Until then, let me eat some good old fashion popcorn and drink some water as I see this debate going downhill.

So... you went into a positivity thread and tried to bring up negative traits? Like, why??? Why would you do that? That is such a jerk thing to do.
Because nothing in the OP forbade any reader from making such a response. Pre and post Iwaku, I've urged multiple people to present their own positions if they didn't agree with my stance. I don't have an issue whatsoever with being proven incorrect on any given subject, but being vilified as a neo-nazi, a racist, a race traitor, a black nationalist, a misogynist, or a homophobe without any compelling evidence to back up such accusations is singularly preposterous.

More often than not, political and social debates devolve into a cesspool of ad hominem attacks and red herrings. That type of behavior is what the topic of this thread (somewhat) seeks to broach.

Debate is healthy; disagreement is normal. It's part of the intellectual growing process. Retarding that growing process isn't in the best interest of anyone involved.

It's helped me out a lot.
This thread makes me want the goddamn negative system back really bad. I would be handing out smites and dislikes like cheap cigars. Some of you are getting incredibly aggressive/passive aggressive, and need to tone it the hell down.

Saying trigger warning is the stupidest thing ever. I feel like my IQ dropped just typing it. My short answer is that I agree with the OP.

Cool it, folks.
No one's being aggressive. It's likely that you just aren't too happy with what's being said in this thread. That doesn't warrant the arbitrary smiting of relatively harmless posts.

No wonder the administrators axed that system.
Man, I can't wait until this thread is locked by someone.

Until then, let me eat some good old fashion popcorn and drink some water as I see this debate going downhill.
Please, don't encourage Grumpy.

I love how, when my browser isn't finished loading the whole page, it sometimes loads gifs so that they run really slowly at first, usually only returning to normal speed once they start to loop. So I basically just watched that guy whip out his chair and sit down all really slowly and dramatically.

Interestingly enough, Red Herring is exactly what I'd say you are going about doing here.
Though I may not have read this thread as carefully as I should have.

"Have we become too sensitive?" Quoth the raven. "This very question shall incur nothing more than wrath, and shall be closed," replied the angry mob as they mauled him to death.

I see the Debate tag being done away with very soon at this rate.

Reactions: Rare
I see the Debate tag being done away with very soon at this rate.
Then it will just move to Discussion and the same thing will happen again.

Reactions: Rare
Then it will just move to Discussion and the same thing will happen again.

Agreed.

Honestly I like the debate tag. Makes it easier to stay out of debates when you don't want to engage in any. Better than RPGuild, where just about every OT thread was a debate.

Sometimes I ignore old people when crossing the street. People look at me with contempt. I flip them the finger and they gasp. They are overly sensitive, I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.