Have we become "too sensitive?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean. Something like this?
tumblr_nm53ufxZ8N1unoj7no1_500.png

Well, as far as cisgender in particular is defined on that chart? Yes, that's kind of what I was trying to say.

Really though I was just saying that gender identity really doesn't equate to sexuality, hence why cisgender =/= straight, and why, therefore, I really don't see it as an unnecessary word. It serves a purpose, if nothing else.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Fair enough, I've always heard it as your biological gender and sex are the same and your sexuality is heterosexual.
By that sense though the majority of LGBT is alsiostraight.
The number of bisexual and gay/lesbian people I meet who have a non-cis gender identity is in the minority.
It's kind of like how "breeder" is a derogatory term for a straight person.
I have never heard this one before. :/
Though at the same time I'm not surprised.

Fair enough, I've always heard it as your biological gender and sex are the same and your sexuality is heterosexual.

But yeah, it really doesn't help the only times I ever hear it being used is as an insult. It's kind of like how "breeder" is a derogatory term for a straight person.

Yeah, using it as an insult is pretty stupid. It's rather counter-productive to the cause, too.

Still, there are plenty of ways to use it in a non-insulting way, such as, say, a civil discussion about gender identity. For example, someone could say "I'm cis but I support equality for trans people" the same way that someone could say "I'm straight but I support gay rights".

But yeah, using it as an insult needs to stop. If people want to be treated equally regardless of gender identity or sexuality, and they're more than willing to remind us that being gay or trans isn't a choice, then why the fuck would they insult anyone for being cis or straight, as if that is a choice? Fucking ridiculous.

"I'm cis but I support equality for trans people" the same way that someone could say "I'm straight but I support gay rights".
I admit this confuses me. It shouldn't matter whether you're straight or homosexual in supporting gay rights. It should only matter that you are a human and you recognize discrimination against other humans for non-harmful acts that nature bestowed upon them to pursue is bizarre.

I mean, I get why in practice: It lends credence to the gay rights movement to have non-gay allies who can spit in the face of "the gay agenda" by simple virtue of not being gay. I just think it's confusing, like... Shouldn't you support it as a default stance and then if someone asks you about your sexuality, you make that secondary? Rather than making your gender identity/sexuality the forefront of the statement?

Yeah, using it as an insult is pretty stupid. It's rather counter-productive to the cause, too.

Still, there are plenty of ways to use it in a non-insulting way, such as, say, a civil discussion about gender identity. For example, someone could say "I'm cis but I support equality for trans people" the same way that someone could say "I'm straight but I support gay rights".

But yeah, using it as an insult needs to stop. If people want to be treated equally regardless of gender identity or sexuality, and they're more than willing to remind us that being gay or trans isn't a choice, then why the fuck would they insult anyone for being cis or straight, as if that is a choice? Fucking ridiculous.
Yeah, totally agreed. I mean, I almost always speak up against somebody throwing around gay and fag as offensive terms, and I do not tolerate people bullying up on somebody because of their sexual identity and I'm not even somebody who's really that into social movements. I just think answering hate with more hate is really stupid and it kind of alienates people even more.

Reactions: LunaValentine
Society is sensitive because of all kinds of things. Too sensitive? I think that may be an over statement and it depends on what you're talking about. Many of these topics and issues are very controversial in their own way and because of this there will always be people whose ideas are radical and crazy and they will fight with whomever tries to tell them that they are wrong. But, in that case, we just need to ignore them and let them do what they want.

Honestly the internet is the biggest culprit of all this. It's definitely where I find most of the things that I do not agree with. Healthy controversy is good every now and then, in my opinion. It's nice to know what the other side of whatever issue is being presented is thinking.

And, we all have our own opinions which makes every human unique, besides DNA and all that jazz. If we all had the same opinions, life would be pretty damn boring.

I don't know. I've been thinking about this lately too and thought I would add my two cents.

Reactions: Brovo
A simple yes to the OP would suffice but I see a few soapboxes out already.

I think people need to grow a thicker skin and stop changing the narrative just to suit them and only them or browbeat people with different opinions into submission when their delicate liberal sensibilities are damaged.

In the end these loathsome whiners are going to bitch and moan no matter how far we bend over backwards for them in society so why waste the time and energy to make concessions? It seems to me the people who scream for tolerance the most are the most intolerant and I am personally sick and fucking tired of having this political correctness shoved in my face.

People are way you too fucking sensitive. To be honest, I am so sick and tired of people having to label themselves something. You're a fucking person!!! That's all that damn matters. Who cares who you're attracted to, what gender you identify as or what religion or race you are. You have the same damn internal organs as the rest of the population most cases anyway.). You bleed red. I don't care about anything else, I probably still don't like you, but I'll respect whatever choices you want to make because it's not my business. And by you, I'm generalizing.

• Love
Reactions: Isho13
I blame individualism. Everyone has to be a special little snowflake, and then they get offended when someone says that they are not.

How... Can someone be Trigender?
Because we need to label everything so we can put them in boxes and categories now, or sports teams are too trendy, or some people genuinely feel this way and don't likely harm anyone by claiming to be Trigender. Take your pick.

Because we need to label everything so we can put them in boxes and categories now, or sports teams are too trendy, or some people genuinely feel this way and don't likely harm anyone by claiming to be Trigender. Take your pick.

But... There's only two genders? What's the third?

I'll leave it alone.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Brovo
Actually, this is a very good sign.

It means that we are aware and accepting - to some degree - of these new human conditions. Sixty years ago, less than an average person's life span, we would have lobotomized or electroshocked them.

Progress!

Reactions: Asmodeus
Well, it's less a matter of society in general being too sensitive, more a very vocal minority that gets a lot of media attention because scandal and sensationalism get page views. There are absolutely still a lot of sexist, racist, homophobic, etc. things out there, and pointing those out is not a matter of being too sensitive. Kids putting on blackface for a laugh? Yeah, it's good to educate them on the historical context of that and why it's offensive to a lot of people, so at least they'll know they're being a shit if they decide to keep doing it. Getting mad at people using certain words and slang because "cultural appropriation" is horrible and wrong? Nah, that's silly, there always has been and always will be some swapping and exchanging of language between cultures and subcultures, and it's almost never a matter of purposely trying to be shits to some other group by taking their words.

The too sensitive thing becomes a problem when silly people impede their own goals and progressive movements by raging about nonsense. For instance, Assassin's Creed Unity got a lot of crap for not having any female playable characters, especially because they gave a crap excuse along the lines of "it's way too much work to do a female model and make it work" despite having plenty of female models already in the game that move just fine (when the game isn't being a buggy broken piece of shit at least). Complaining about that made total sense. However, they recently announced that Assassin's Creed Syndicate will have a playable female character, because the main characters will be a pair of twins, and they'll have differing play styles rather than the woman just being a clone of the guy. That caused a lot of rage because, from what I saw, people were saying that Ubisoft was just pandering to feminists and didn't really give a shit about having female characters and it's somehow awful and sexist that they announced the female character thing at all. That kind of thing makes people look at the whole situation as a lose-lose, can't ever get away from the raging anger of internet activists, so why bother trying to give them what they want anyway? It hinders their own cause, but they're too busy competing with each other to see who can be the most morally outraged to realize it.

It's also a huge problem in universities. A university is supposed to be a place that challenges your thinking, that forces you to broaden your mind and consider viewpoints you'd never given a chance, that teaches you things beyond your own small horizon of knowledge and interest. Instead, hypersensitive people demand that uncomfortable topics (everything from Greek mythology in classic literature classes to rape law in a law school) be removed or labeled with a trigger warning so students can opt out of it and not learn those things at all. Their argument that such subjects can't be broached because "they might trigger memories of trauma in people and that's bad" is nonsensical, because if you ask any credible psychiatrist they'll tell you that exposure is the best way for someone to get over trauma, and coddling and avoidance are how people end up taking years and years to get over something. It's both counter to the purpose of universities and harmful to the mental health of the students, and it really needs to stop.

Basically there are points at which reasonable concern stops and oversensitivity begins, and by my observation it tends to be balanced on when that sensitivity becomes counterproductive.

Last edited:
I just thought of another issue that came up in my own class a few years ago.

In ECE (Early Childhood Education) we have a 1st year course called "Child abuse".
It basically teaches people the different kinds of abuse, the effects it can have, how to tell if the children you work with are being abused, how to handle cases of abuse etc.

However, one class the teacher put on a video.
The video was basically a documentary/biography, of different abusers and abuse victims telling their stories.
Stuff like how it felt, how it hurt them, for abusers why they started being abusive to begin with.
And it should be noted there were no visuals of abuse taking place it was strictly people talking about their stories and experiences.

The class universally was revolted by it. But not in a "This is horrible! We need to work to stop this!" sort of manner, but in a "Oh my God! No! This is too much for me!" manner.
Which ultimately led to half of the class storming out of the classroom, and those who remained pleading/begging the teacher to stop the video.
To which the Teacher ultimately gave in, and stopped the video before it could be completed.

Now, I made damn sure to borrow the video tape from the Teacher and watch it at home. I wasn't going to let some paranoid souls get in the way of my education.

But this does seriously highlight a censorship/offended issue in our society.
I mean think about it, these were people aspiring to be professionals that parents trust their children with.
Professionals who will get children who are being abused and need to do something with it.
Yet they run away in fear at the first sign of the topic? Excuse me, but how the hell can you expect to help a child from abuse if you yourself aren't grown up enough to even learn about the issue as an adult?
These are going to be children who live with abuse daily and they don't have the luxury of simply walking out, or asking the person to stop.
These children have to live with that abuse each and every day, children! People who aren't even 5 years old yet!
Yet you as an adult, who doesn't even have to experience such abuse simply wants to bail out because the topic makes you uncomfortable?

Get, the, fuck, out.
If you can't handle learning about or understanding the situations that can destroy a child's life, you simply are not qualified to be looking after any child. End of story.
No trigger warnings, no bailouts. You want to help children? Then fucking bother to learn about their problems.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: LunaValentine
You realize cis gendered have nothing to do with sexality but Gender. I am bi, i also cis, becouse i am not Trans. The word is harmless and the butthurt around it is crazy. One could say being upset about it is... oversenaitive

If you read the thread, you'd know that people already corrected me on that. Knowing is half the battle and all that. No need to be a snarky grumpkin.

Status
Not open for further replies.