Harvest Moon: Dewdrop Valley

Sara listened intently as the older man spoke, her ears focusing on his every word and syllable, but just one thing gave her both hope and confusion; his tone. It changed from a slight sadness to an eager happiness. Her emerald eyes blinked at him, her smile almost fading as he went on, seeming to have some sort of inner turmoil to the topic of discussion. She didn't mean to make him sad, she didn't know he would of had any sort of emotion to her choice, though she had secretly hoped. She watched him move to the window stretch then look back at her, just to move to the window once again.

She was left with a confused perspective on this subject as he thought. Her hand that was grasping one of the baskets gently fell to her side as she watched him, trying to decipher what exactly he meant. She almost jumped as he turned around with a big smile on his face once again, asking if she wanted him to take the basket she had been holding.

"U-Uh, sure." she said, wiping her hands on her skirt and looking around for a second, taking a deep breath, "I am happy here though Duncan, I've thought about it for a very long time." she said as she turned a smile to him, grabbing a couple smaller baskets as she spoke, "I couldn't leave Grandma here to tend to the farm and the bakery by herself either. That wouldn't be something you do to a family member. At least not in my books." she laughed softly, "And how many times have I told you? Just call me Sara." she said as she tilted her head, trusting the last basket to him as she moved towards the door, keys in one hand as she waited for him to follow her. "I'm an adult now, remember?" she asked jokingly as she opened the wooden door, walking out into the warm spring sun as a gentle cool breeze blew through the village.

'Yes...I am very happy here.' She thought as she smiled, looking around the small village.

After three weeks out in the forest, Eric was looking... Odd. His hair was a tangled mess, twigs and leaves seeming to have made their home there. His face was unshaven, and at the moment, the only appealing feature he had was his bright blue eyes. Even those showed signs of fatigue. He carried a large burlap sack with his trip's catch, on the way to the butcher. He kept his head down, a bit ashamed of his appearance. It wasn't often that he visited the town, and was already considered an odd, eccentric hermit... And the way he looked now didn't help dispel the rumors at all. He made his way quickly to the butcher and dropped off the haul, picked up his payment, and immediately went to the inn.

After several hours of rest and some much-needed cleaning up he walked out, looking like a completely different person. The long, wild hair was tied back neatly, and his stubble was gone save for a small patch on his chin. Since he had been out of touch with the town for so long, he had nearly forgotten about the festival tonight until he overheard the people in the room next door chattering on about it. Since his work for the week was done, he may as well attend. He stretched a bit and began to stroll down the road, heading towards the cafe. He had been eating rabbit and snake for the last few weeks, so having a decent meal would be nice. He was a bit hesitant to go there, though. There were people, not many though, that thought that what he did for a living was... cruel. They didn't seem to understand that he was the one that supplied most of the town with the meat they couldn't raise on their farms. That, and for being a hunter, he had a surprisingly high value on life, human or not. He always ensured that his kills were quick and painless. Despite that, most people that looked down on him wouldn't listen, and he was rather afraid he would run into one at the cafe. But a sudden growl from his stomach made him sigh and he pressed on, despite the other annoying feeling in his gut.

Duncan nodded when Sara mentioned that she really was happy here, his insides warmed up a little. And he understood not being able to leave her grandmother to tend to all the duties and chores of having a farm and a bakery. If Sara ever did leave, however, Duncan would help her grandmother as best he could. He loved her as if she were his own grandmother. She was always so kind to him and he never left seeing her without high spirits.

A chuckle resonated from Duncan's chest at Sara's "I'm an adult now" remark. "My apologies, Mis...*ahem* Sara." Duncan smiled as he lifted the large basket. He followed Sara out into the village square where it seemed that no one had really gotten settled in just yet. Everyone was either setting up or absent, for the time being. The weather was perfect for a festival. Flowers bloomed on all of the trees and plants, everything was green or painted some pretty color, dotted with flowers. Mother nature was quite the artist, and springtime was when she really shined.

"Over here Sara!" Duncan walked ahead of Sara as he showed her to her spot, next to his stand. "You can put all of your sweets on display here, and this cabinet back here will hold whatever it is you are not displaying, or don't have room for." Duncan placed ther basket down on the top of the stand. "There we go. Now all you gotta do is set up! Oh, and before I forget, the stool behind the stand here should hold you just fine, but I wouldn't put too much weight on it...it's a little...erm...well it's old...heh...sorry about that." Duncan blushed as he looked at the ground. he hadnt had time to repair this stool and set everything up. Judging by the looks of it, the stool was fine, but it really couldnt stand up to more than one person's worth of weight.

"I hope everything is all right for you, Sara. If you need anything, just holler! I'll be right here."
Duncan pointed at a very close by stand. "Need anything before I go and tack up some prints for people to see?" Duncan didn't have much to prepare.Nothing like Sara, the florist, or the blacksmith. He just wanted to get it done before people started showing up.

Despite having been told numerous times he was pushing himself far too much for someone so inexperienced, and that he had to pace himself even if he wanted to improve, David kept a schedule which he adhered to with minimal leeway. And, as he had allowed himself a ten-minute break (at least, according to his watch), the young cook let out an exasperated sigh. He knew his watch would sometimes have its moments, and the hands would stop or speed up of their own accord, but he had not been keeping track of roughly how long the conversation had been held for anyway. In addition, the light growling in his stomach told volumes about what he needed to do.
"Ralph, it's nice to see you. I really, honestly would love to stay and chat - but, as you may know, that small feast isn't going to cook itself, and neither is my lunch."
Adding a dry chuckle to the end of the statement - seeming more like an indication it was a joke than a happy gesture - David turned and went into his familiar environment. Grabbing an apron from the rack and tying the straps, David once again took the necessary precautions to take out before cooking, such as cleaning his hands. He genuinely enjoyed talking with other people - at least, the ones that didn't just brush hi off as a messy youth. He worked hard and he worked long, but he seldom made mention of this. Looking at his stained clothes and ruffled hair at the end of every day, you would be forgiven for crossing the path to avoid him.

Faroh was casually sitting at the end of the docking bridge, which was hardly used, his little Cottage only a little way up the beach, with a sandwich in hand, dining on it when it pleased him, looking off into the horizon, only having moved here recently, he didn't know everyone here yet, so he preferred to fish all day, though today had been quiet, only a few bites, nothing worth keeping, if he didn't catch something big enough soon, he'd have to visit the café or the grocery store, which he didn't want at the moment due to the fact they were out of the way.

"Have fun!" Lucy called after David's retreating back. She must have caught him toward the end of his break, she thought. Either she had horrible timing in trying to get to know him outside of a customer-cook rapport, or he really was working twenty-three hours of the day. Turning her attention back to the person still around, Ralph, she noticed another figure approaching up the path.

The hunter of Dewdrop Valley was looking rugged from the bush as usual, but spending a lot of time in the dirt gardening herself, Lucy could excuse that - allowing also the excuse that he was perhaps too hungry to bathe first. More than that though, the hunter's presence alerted her to the time. "So I assume you're around for lunch!" she commented to Ralph "and it seems like most of the town is, too; we should go inside and grab a bite before it gets more crowded, don't you think?"

Kayla softly slept in her bed. She was surely not a morning person, and not even the sound of a rooster squawking his morning call could awake her from the sweet dreams she was having now. Her kitten, Dot, hopped on the bed to Kayla and started pawing and nibbling at her cheek.

"Nnnnh..." Kayla whined in her sleep. "No...not getting up..."

Dot started to meow loudly at Kayla as if trying to wake her up.

"I said no..." Kayla, after a while, finally gave up trying to get sleep and rose from her bed. She looked to Dot with a glare that said she wanted more sleep. "Be glad your cute." she said petting Dot. Dot started to purr and nuzzle her hand.

Kayla started to think about what she needed to do today as she petted Dot. Slowly but surely, she started to fully awaken when she realized she had many things to do and she lost almost 3 hours to do them. "Oh man! Sorry, Dot!"

Dot tilted her head to the side. "Meow?"

Kayla got up out of bed and got dressed and washed up quickly, preparing Dot's food and her's as well. "Aw man and I have crops to water and plant too! I can't believe I slept in!! And I have to get to the store too, and the florist..." Kayla went down the list of things she had to do as she ate some toast. She gave Dot her food and immediately bolted out of the door with her watering can, chicken feed, fodder, and her brush for washing the animals.

After Faroh realized it was going to be a slow day, he checked his watch, hmm, lunchtime, he thought to himself, he slowly packed up his bait and threw his rod over his shoulder, dropping them off in his little cottage on the way to the market, God it's messy in here he though, I'll have to tidy it later. He turned and left his humble abode, locking the door after him.

He liked this town, a quaint little place, but he still had to meet the other residents, that's why he had decided to dine in the café, where assumed everybody else dined too, walking past the other houses in the main square he admired their architecture, and made his way into the café.

Kayla stretched as her work finally was finished. All she needed to do now was take the milk and eggs to the shipping bin and then she was free for the rest of the day. She quickly went inside to check the calendar.

"Hmm...Nope, nothing special today." She said, but then she looked closer. She saw that there was a Flower Festival today. "Oh~ That'd be nice!" she said to herself. She then looked harder and saw it was in...ONE HOUR?! Just as fast as she saw that she sprinted out of the house and ran into town. No way was she going to miss this festival!

Duncan nodded when Sara mentioned that she really was happy here, his insides warmed up a little. And he understood not being able to leave her grandmother to tend to all the duties and chores of having a farm and a bakery. If Sara ever did leave, however, Duncan would help her grandmother as best he could. He loved her as if she were his own grandmother. She was always so kind to him and he never left seeing her without high spirits.

A chuckle resonated from Duncan's chest at Sara's "I'm an adult now" remark. "My apologies, Mis...*ahem* Sara." Duncan smiled as he lifted the large basket. He followed Sara out into the village square where it seemed that no one had really gotten settled in just yet. Everyone was either setting up or absent, for the time being. The weather was perfect for a festival. Flowers bloomed on all of the trees and plants, everything was green or painted some pretty color, dotted with flowers. Mother nature was quite the artist, and springtime was when she really shined.

"Over here Sara!" Duncan walked ahead of Sara as he showed her to her spot, next to his stand. "You can put all of your sweets on display here, and this cabinet back here will hold whatever it is you are not displaying, or don't have room for." Duncan placed ther basket down on the top of the stand. "There we go. Now all you gotta do is set up! Oh, and before I forget, the stool behind the stand here should hold you just fine, but I wouldn't put too much weight on it...it's a little...erm...well it's old...heh...sorry about that." Duncan blushed as he looked at the ground. he hadnt had time to repair this stool and set everything up. Judging by the looks of it, the stool was fine, but it really couldnt stand up to more than one person's worth of weight.

"I hope everything is all right for you, Sara. If you need anything, just holler! I'll be right here."
Duncan pointed at a very close by stand. "Need anything before I go and tack up some prints for people to see?" Duncan didn't have much to prepare.Nothing like Sara, the florist, or the blacksmith. He just wanted to get it done before people started showing up.

Sara smiled to herself, quite pleased that he had agreed to listen to her request, she began to walk into the village, over to where Duncan had set up the stands for the festival. She loved spring, it was cool, yet still warm enough to be comfortable. A breeze played with her long brown hair as she hummed softly, leading the two towards the square. When Duncan walked ahead of her she watched him as he went to the stand, explaining where she could put her breads and pastries. She smiled at him sweetly as he talked about the stool, nodding as she laughed softly.

"Okay, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for helping me carry all of my stuff here Duncan." she thanked as she placed the baskets she was carrying on the top of the stand, "I really appreciate it." she listened to him as he spoke again, causing a wider smile to appear on her face, "No, I'm fine for now, thanks, but I'll let you know if I need anything." she replied as she stretched her arms out. "You can do whatever you need to do."

She smiled at him until he had left, then she turned to the baskets of pastries and began unpacking everything. She placed a few batches of assorted cookies on one end of the stand, and pastries and breads on the other. She didn't have enough room for everything, but she knew that her baking would sell fairly quickly. She placed the other baskets carefully in the cabinet and sighed happily. She brushed her hands on her skirt then looked around her. A few other stands had been setting up, but not all of them were here yet. Once the flower display had been set up, she would have to remind herself to get some flowers for her Grandma. She hummed softly again, walking over to the stool as she placed herself on it, waiting patiently for the festival to begin and somewhat wanting Duncan to be finished with his setting up to have someone to talk to.

Lucy gave Ralph a moment to respond, but before the man could actually speak she smacked her own forehead with an open palm; "I'm so sorry, what am I saying? I don't really have time to eat here, I'm just getting something to go, I'm sorry!"

Turning, she proceeded into the bar, made her way to the front and asked for whatever was pre-made and ready to go. Finding some chicken-and-sauce wrap placed in her hands, she thanked the clerk and took a rather unladylike bite as she weaved her way towards the door.

She ate with one hand - glad she'd gotten a standing-up lunch instead of knife-and-fork - and held her skirt away from her ankles with the other as she hurried back to the flower shop. Somehow the festival had been buzzing in her mind all day, but the earlier hour at which she would have to get ready had slipped off somewhere else. It was going to start in a few minutes!

Almost running as she rounded the back corner of the shop, Lucy dragged the wood wagon closer to the door, unlocked the back, and began loading potters and cut bouquets of flowers into the cart. Adding a jug of fresh water with a shoulder-strap slung across her back, she popped the last of her light lunch in her mouth and grabbed the pull-rods, heading towards the square.

People were already streaming in from all corners of the township, children fidgeting and skipping excitedly down the street. Lucy checked the 'security drawer'under the main part of her cart and smiled. Her secret addition to the festival was still there and ready to go.

Kayla arrived to the town and looked about. Wow, she thought, They've set up the place very nicely. Smiling, she looked around the Town Square, wondering what she should do in the few minutes before the festival started. Kayla watched as the children played around and the adults and teens chatter amongst them while keeping an eye on the little ones. She smiled and took a deep breath in and out, knowing that this was going to be a pleasant festival.

Kayla began to walk around, wondering if she could find anyone she knew in the crowd.

"And here we have a little taste of home..."
Prepared on the trays was an assortment of foods from David's homeland, all fresh and still steaming from the oven's heat. Pasties, pork pies and a few choice cuts of roast beef were laid bare on trays, each looking as indubitably delectable as food like it could. The promised steak-and-ale pie was being carried by another group of chefs, having been cooked to a size large enough to occupy a small table completely. While he had played a significant role in getting the taste just so, the pie's distribution was not to be part of his duties, in its stead being the distribution of his various foodstuffs.
"David! Boss man told me to give you a message."
"Oh, he did? Well, come on Pete, the food's cooling. Everybody knows pasties are best warm!"
"Well, it's just that, since you've been working so hard lately, and since this is such a big festival..."
Oh dear, overtime...
"He's decided to let you off your duties for the festival, and he's making it an order for you to at least try and have fun at it."
"B-"
"He said no buts, and no ifs. You do, however, get a miniature version of the pie for your troubles."
"Well, thanks, I guess."
Taking the warm, bite-sized culinary delight, David headed awkwardly out of the door, unsure as to what to do as a follow-up.
That's right, I was going to let Lucy have some of the pie... Well, I suppose I could give her this. It's not much, but it's still warm.
So, with his mind focussed firmly on the only thing he deemed as a viable way of helping to pass the time, David meandered in the general direction of the flower festival's location.

"Kayla, Hi!", Lucy waved, looking up from the peonies she'd been setting around her stand. Cut, set in clear water and purple pebbles, they were a beauty to behold.

She didn't really know Kayla that well, had just seen her around town a couple times either, and Lucy's mind was a steel trap for names, she was pretty sure the kid had introduced herself at some point. Either way she looked a little out of place, probably could use someone familiar.

Kayla looked up, wondering where the call came from, and saw Lucy. Finally, someone she recognized! She hadn't met a lot of people yet, but seeing Lucy made her happy. "Hey Lucy!"

She walked to up her and looked to the peonies. "Heh, Did you plant these?" she asked with a smile.

"Just like all the rest!" Lucy assured, patting her blooms lovingly. The massive - albeit at the time ill-maintained - garden had come with the business in Dewdrop Valley, and while it had taken time to acquire what her mother called "the Greene thumb", Lucy was now quite proud of it.

"Are you enjoying the festival?" she asked, straightening and dusting the soil off of her gardening gloves and onto her work apron, which hung to just above her knees and had a couple large pockets for seeds or a trowel or weed-prong. it was weathered, strong material and while not the most fashionable or aesthetically pleasing, it did the job it was meant for.

"Oh I see, they look very pretty!" Kayla said nodding. "Oh? Yes yes I am! I haven't seen so many flowers in one place...In one crowded place at least!" she added, chuckling. "I wish I could've contributed but I found out about the festival too late..."