Harvest Moon: A New Dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Soulserenity20

Original poster
[Sign -ups are now closed, we've reached out player quota. Thank you for your interest.]

Welcome to the Village of Blossoms,
known by the locals as Springtown for the great bounty and beauty seen throughout the mountain village in the spring. Nestled deep in the woods, at the base of Rhine Mountain awaits a place of promise, a place of new beginnings, of peace, of harmony, a place where blossoms bloom like the hearts of the villagers, where the land offers life and the people offer hard work and diligence in return.

For many years the town has thrived in itself and in its seclusion from the rest of the world. The nearest city is nearly 2 hours away by horse-drawn carriage and the people are always shocked and excited to welcome a new face. You live here, you work here, you know the people, either for the years you've lived here or in the short time since you moved here.

Build relationships, get into trouble, go on adventures, build up your farm or shop, fall in love, start a family, encounter the inhabitants of the forest. The possibilities of life are infinite in the Village of Blossoms.
What will you do with the new dawn?

~+~
Welcome to the Village of Blossoms...

c33f36c783085ef9cfbecdbbf0be0891_zps22bc2360.jpg
What do you think, friend?

Welcome friends,
I'm looking for about 4 or 5 players to embark on a very laid back, casual, non-epic Harvest Moon-based roleplay. We'll work together to fill out the town, each of us will have a maximum of 2 characters. I want something far away from my main genre (dragons, fantasy, etc) to keep me relaxed. I don't expect super long posts but I want to play with some very mature, enjoyable people.

So! Who's interested?

vfioud.jpg

Name: Skye Lumina
Title: Horse Rancher/ Cat & Dog breeder and Trainer
Family/Relationships: Twin to Shade
Living Location: Lumina Ranch, on the skirts of the forest.

Personality: Being a twin, Skye has always struggled to gain independence. She share's her brother's love for nature and has chosen to work in the field of training and breeding work animals for local farms. Her horses are well bred and good for working the fields. Her hounds herd cattle with the best of them, and her felines are trained to control small pests and assist in poultry herding. Skye puts immense amount of time and love into her animals and as a result, tends to be shy and more closed off from the outside world. She is a kind, caring, loving person with a heart of gold. Though she struggles in the social world, she is a faithful friend to any who get close enough to her.

Backstory: Skye and Shade were born and raised in the small mountain town. Their farm has been passed down through their family for many generations, and has thrived off the nutrient rich soil of the forest. When the twins turned 18, their parents signed the farm's deed over to them and went to travel the world in search of knowledge and experiences. They visit once in a while but all in all the twins are alone. Though the pair share many common interests, they have great differences too. Neither of the pair are fond of chickens, as a mean hen from their childhood spent many summers chasing them around the farm when they tried to collect eggs. Skye is passionate about her herd of horses and her witty cats and dogs, and would greatly prefer their company over that of cattle, which she finds to be clumsy and much less intelligent. Shade, on the other hand, lives to raise his cattle herds. He takes great pride in his dairy cows and alpacas, but never seemed to find the patience to train animals in the way Skye does.

Likes/Dislikes: Likes: Horses, dogs, cats, flowers, home cooking, and walks through the forest.
Dislikes: Chickens, eggs, gemstones, and insects.
In game birthday: Winter 10
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​
Name: Shade Lumina
Title: Cattle & Livestock Rancher
Family/Relationships: Twin to Skye
Living Location: Lumina Ranch, on the outskirts of the forest

Personality: Shade is the more outgoing of the Lumina twins, he enjoys spending evenings down at the inn after long days of work and drinking with his friends. He has a deep appreciation for music and will often play his flute for his livestock herds to calm them in the evenings. He loves his sister dearly and is extremely protective over her, although he does wish she would open up to people a little more. Shade has a playful heart and a straight head; he is dedicated to his work and is keen on good organisation and time management. Shade's love of sociality mixes in with his want of a family of his own one day. He's openly seeking a kind woman, but doesn't allow it to control his thoughts or schedule too much. He lives strongly under the idea that with hard work, kindness, and honesty, a person can live a fulfilled life, no matter what their situation.

Backstory: Skye and Shade were born and raised in the small mountain town. Their farm has been passed down through their family for many generations, and has thrived off the nutrient rich soil of the forest. When the twins turned 18, their parents signed the farm's deed over to them and went to travel the world in search of knowledge and experiences. They visit once in a while but all in all the twins are alone. Though the pair share many common interests, they have great differences too. Neither of the pair are fond of chickens, as a mean hen from their childhood spent many summers chasing them around the farm when they tried to collect eggs. Skye is passionate about her herd of horses and her witty cats and dogs, and would greatly prefer their company over that of cattle, which she finds to be clumsy and much less intelligent. Shade, on the other hand, lives to raise his cattle herds. He takes great pride in his dairy cows and alpacas, but never seemed to find the patience to train animals in the way Skye does.

Likes/Dislikes: Likes: Cattle, milk, wool, hand-made gifts, flutes, and song birds.
Dislikes: Chickens, eggs, spicy foods, and ores.
In game birthday: Winter 10​

Occupations No Longer Available:
Doctor
Pet Distributer
1/3 Cattle Ranchers
Carpenter
Librarian
Crop/Orchard Farmer

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Quiet Souris
Noted! I'll get a CS skeleton up to start selecting players. I only want a few, I don't want to GM a second large RP *nervous laughter*

My characters are Skye and Shade Lumina and reside at the Lumina Ranch in the top left of the map. Skye breeds and sells pets (dogs, cats, and horses) and Shade breeds and sells livestock (llamas, cows, sheep.)

Skeleton:

First things first:
-Writing Level:
-Number of Other RP's you are in:
-Expected Posts per Week:
-Dedication Level:
-Writing Sample:
-Do you have experience with HM games?:

NOTE: Keep your CS fairly simple for now because you aren't guarenteed acceptance. I only want a few players and I do have expectations from those players.

Now, to the Character:
-Name:
-Appearance:
-Local or Newcomer:
-Occupation: (Available: 2 farmers, doctor, artist, miner, grocer, bartender, fisherman, librarian, carpenter, other. [please specify as we will be using the map above and I won't be changing it to add houses])
-Personality in 5 words:
-Bio: No more than 2-4 short paragraphs
-Relatioships:
-Likes/Dislikes:
-Pets:

-Writing Level: Adept
-Number of Other RP's you are in: About 4/5
-Expected Posts per Week: A lot! I can post multiple times a day.
-Dedication Level: On a scale of one to ten? Eight or nine, since I sometimes get distracted by school. ;w;
-Writing Sample:
-Do you have experience with HM games?: Yes, I've briefly played one, but I've participated in RPs for it. I mostly play Rune Factory, HM's fantasy counterpart.

Now, to the Character:
-Name: Shunka
-Appearance:
Shunka is a rather tall young man for his age, standing at 6'2". He has a decent amount of muscle to him, and is by no means out of shape. He has a strong enough torso and long legs. His skin is decently tanned, with little to no blemishes upon it. He has a scar on his left arm, closer to the elbow, and one little one on the palm of his left hand. He has strong and angular hands, with fingernails trimmed usually.

He has bright, iridescent amber eyes with cat-like pupils. His face is angular and handsome, with teeth noticeably sharper than most other people's. His nose is curved and elegant. His hair is a practical mane. It's long, down to below his shoulders, and it's a soft, caramel brown. His bangs are parted in the middle of his face, and it frames his face in layers. It's a bit darker in the winter than it is in the warmer seasons. The most frequently worn expressions on his face are bright, abet soft smiles or drowsier looks.

Shunka's likes violets. Most lavender and plum purples, his fashion sense tends to be easier on the eyes. He doesn't like pastels, but does occasionally wear flannel. Blacks, whites and greys can get a little too boring if they're not paired with another color, which is why he'll wear colorful ties along to what little formal occasions he attends.

latest

-Local or Newcomer: Local

-Personality in 5 words: Flirty, chipper, mood-swings, short-tempered, loud
-Bio: Shunka's mother was an artist. She was graceful, and endlessly charming, but refused to get into another relationship after his father passed away. Shunka never knew his father, but grew to miss him after watching other children interact with their own fathers. He inherited his artistic talents from his mother, but he was a shy young boy. He never interacted much with others, and could become easily intimidated by the loudness of the other children. Thus, his mother suggested that he started talking to girls more first to get around hi shyness. Eventually, his mother would regret her words, as her son would become a skirt-chaser.

Shunka soon developed into a loud and somewhat brash young man, who was the exact image of who he feared in his childhood. He had a complex that he needed to be strong and powerful, and the best at what he did. Thus, he devoted most of his time to working out or sketching, drawing and painting. He became well-versed in ceramics and sculpting, and soon was an all-around individual in terms of artistic skill. He never really had many girlfriends, due to the fact that even though he flirted relentlessly, he wasn't too good at remembering people because of his intent focus on his work. Recently, he's loosened up to become more accepting and social.

-Relationships: Will be updated as he meets people.

-Likes: Cats, cute girls, warm days, spring, summer, painting, drawing, sculpting, being complimented

-Dislikes: Being insulted, when people find out about his insecurities, being denied by girls he flirts with

-Pets: None yet

Well, I was going to ask for a writing sample but your description seems like a pretty clear indicator.

Alright, I like him, welcome aboard. We need at least 4 more players. I'm making a banner right now.

I'm going to reserve a spot.

Reactions: Soulserenity20
Looks nice. Always in the mood for a slow paced and relaxed RP, it's just so hard to find decent partners these days.

Guess I'll rumble up a character to fit the setting. Anyone claimed the nurse/doctor position yet?

I am interested! I've not been in a HM RP yet :)

Looks nice. Always in the mood for a slow paced and relaxed RP, it's just so hard to find decent partners these days.

Guess I'll rumble up a character to fit the setting. Anyone claimed the nurse/doctor position yet?
None have claimed the physician position. Fill out the form and claim it!

I am interested! I've not been in a HM RP yet :)
Welcome! Please be sure to fill out the CS skeleton so I can see what you've got in mind. HM roleplays are relaxing and can be very long term if the players are willing to dedicate.

• Thank You
Reactions: Windsong
Will get to writing it out later tonight most likely. Work is looking to be hectic and hellish all in one go.

First step: gender.

Damnit.

Reactions: Soulserenity20
OH! Note: Because we are only having a total of 6 players in this RP, each of us may take on a second character. You only need one MAIN character though :) and you don't HAVE to make a second character

Since I don't want the thread to seem empty may as well keep posting!

Couple' things:
  • Is this pre-modern? No cars or electricity? Or just old time with a few modern amenities?
  • Since it's harvest moon based are you looking to stick to Japanese festivals and themes or something a bit more diverse?
  • Figuring people are going to use portraits closer to an anime theme or less realistic? Not sure how to word this one too well at the moment.
  • Are you keeping some of the low fantasy harvest moon has with regards to the sprites? They're the most prominent unrealistic part of HM I remember.
It's been so long since I've played an actual good harvest moon game so I'm feeling a bit rusty on it.

Since I don't want the thread to seem empty may as well keep posting! <-- I Like you already! lol

Couple' things:
  • Is this pre-modern? No cars or electricity? Or just old time with a few modern amenities? <--- Have you played HM: A Wonderful Life? Or Friends of Mineral Town or Tale of Two Towns? Any of those styled. Classic HM. Think: Simplistic life. I won't add cars because the town is ridiculously small, but phones, blenders, vacuums, etc I think are reasonable. We want to keep the HM feel :)
  • Since it's harvest moon based are you looking to stick to Japanese festivals and themes or something a bit more diverse? <--- Well, Naturally I'd go with the classic HM festivals, however, once we get our last player (or if we don't get one more player within the next 24 hours I'll call it closed and we can move along), we can discuss these kinds of things :).
  • Figuring people are going to use portraits closer to an anime theme or less realistic? Not sure how to word this one too well at the moment. <-- Yes, we'll carry on the style of the Harvest Moon games, not so much the Rune Factory games or anything realistic. :) This also leads me to wonder if you guys want to post a headshot for each post, sort of like the ingame dialogue?
  • Are you keeping some of the low fantasy harvest moon has with regards to the sprites? They're the most prominent unrealistic part of HM I remember. <-- The Goddess, the Sprites, The Oracle, and even the Witch will be kept in the game. Unless anyone has a specific disagreement with the idea. These will not be available to players though as I might use them to advance plots.
It's been so long since I've played an actual good harvest moon game so I'm feeling a bit rusty on it.
Don't even worry :) If you're rusty I'm more than happy to answer questions. Never be afraid to ask questions and bring forth any ideas you have the the RP. I appreciate your involvement already.

• Thank You
Reactions: Windsong
Thanks for that! Just wanted some brief clarification on a few things I wasn't sure on. Don't have much time here at work tonight to peruse a wiki for a few hours.

And the last one I played was friends of mineral town. Oh it was so much fun despite being tedious. Played way more than that, but that's the most memorable.

FoMT was amazing! I still have my file, it's like, 10-12 years old by now haha I logged hundreds of hours on that one. My favorite is A wonderful life special edition for PS2 :P Though the classic AWL for gamecube was lovely

I can't remember the ps2 one that I used to have. Think it was a wonderful life. Didn't have romance and a few other things..

The n64 one was a blast too. My spouse loves these kinds of games. Can't blame her though, super relaxing.

Edit: my ps2 game was save the homeland. Which wasn't as fun. :(

Save the homeland was great! Lol, a bit tedious but great :3 It was the first HM game I ever played :)

Not fun wasn't the right wording I guess. It just wasn't as memorable? That sounds better. Did finish it though, so that means something!

So far I've got newcomer, doctor, and mid to late twenties woman..

Status
Not open for further replies.