Happily ever after

Status
Not open for further replies.
"H-Huh? Princess?" Sadao asked as he was left confused for a little while. As he came to, he rushed after them, trying to get Xera's attention. "X-Xera? Is this true?"

Xera smiled, as she saw Sadao trying to talk to her. They arrived at the ship, and they were all going quickly on board. "Yes Sadao!" she yelled back to him, confirming that she was the Princess of Ilum.

"Huh..." He stopped before he, too, got on the boat, instead waving her off. She was the princess of Ilum? Well... It would at the very least make her identifiable in the future, would he want to see or hear from her again, that's for certain. For now, though, he just walked back to the castle.

As the boat started to leave the island, Xera thought about the day she had. It was a fun day, getting to see the city, swim in the ocean, and by accident, meet a prince. She watched the waves on the ocean, and she remembered swimming in them not very long ago. She looked towards the island again, and remembered Sadao... and saw someone walking away. Was that him? She wondered...

A few days later, Sadao was once again walking around the castle halls, once again thinking to himself. When Xera had left, he had felt a bit... Empty inside. Like Xera had filled some function inside him that he himself didn't even know about.

He sighed as he looked out. She was the princess of Ilum, right? That kingdom wasn't too far from here... He could easily travel there, it wouldn't be very tough.

He made up his mind and walked over to his father to demand from him that he would be granted travel to her kingdom, to which he obliged, if he'd bring guards.

And so his travels started, and before long he reached Ilum's borders. As he walked in, he ordered his guards to stay hidden for the time being as he searched for Xera.

One week after arriving back in Ilum, from her journeys to establish trade routes, Xera sighed a bit and looked out from the palace, towards the coastline far away.

Upon their arrival home, she and adviser Doak had presented to her father, the King of Ilum, the signed free trade agreements with three other kingdoms in the Lilles territories. She also presented the aborted plan of proposing a trade agreement with Ente, but she determined that the King would not be receptive.

"Why do you make that assumption, Xera?"

"Because in my day there, I gathered information. I believe their King would not be receptive, to anything other than what it deems acceptable to him."

After the long trip and the few days of formalizing the trade agreements, Xera was left to her normal duties, which consisted of mostly attending to her own affairs. She often found herself looking out into the horizon, towards the ocean, and towards the island of Ente. She wondered why, though in her heart she knew the answer.

As Sadao walked around, he knew where she'd most likely be. In her land's castle, obviously. He glanced up at it, and wondered if he should even bother to try to demand an audience with her. It'd probably work, seeing that he was the prince of Ente, but was it the best way? He walked off in the castle's direction as he started pondering about his choices.

Xera decided to go for a walk outside the castle walls. It was a hilly area, and Xera enjoyed the scenery. Also, the air was fresher outside of the walls.

She some flowers in the bushes outside of the wall, and decided to pick some and keep them in her chambers, to brighten her place a little.

When he arrived at the castle, Sadao noticed a familiar figure standing near the castle. Was it... Xera? He tried to casually wave to get her attention.

Xera looked up from the flowers to see... Sadao? She was very surprised to see him standing there.

"Sadao? Prince?" she said. "What in the world are you doing here?"

"Well... I-I just wanted to see you again. I always get the feeling that I miss you, even though we only had a day together." He said. That sounded much better in his head, but he hoped that she'd understand that it was all genuine.

"Sadao... Prince." She wasn't used to calling him Prince, but when she would remember to, she would. She smiled at him. "I missed you too. That was a wonderful day for me, kind of living life as a common woman, and then stumbling into who I thought was a common man."

Then, her smile disappeared. "Then I found out you were a Prince. It was a surprise, you played the commoner part well. But then, I realized that it wasn't meant to be for us if that's the case."

"Our day together, it was very wonderful, I'll look back on it and always cherish it. But, you know that it is basically all we could have, right?"

"Oh, please. Just call me Sadao." He said with a smile. "We're in your kingdom, after all. It should be me who calls you Princess, if anything." He chuckled.

His smile dropped a little bit as she started saying that it basically couldn't be anything more than good friends, though. He knew that wasn't wholeheartedly true, as he had learned differently. "Really? And why'd that be?" He asked, just to be on the safe side.

Xera sighed. "Well, we could spend another day like we did at your island, and go back to our palaces. But then, that is all we could do. We are tied to the palaces we live in... you to the nation of Este, me, here. We are of royalty in two different kingdoms.... someday you will be King, and I will possibly be the ruling Queen here. We both have a future ahead of us both, but they are quite incompatible."
Xera looked at Sadao. "I care for you, I like you even. But it's as far as we could ever go."

"Well, that much is true, but still. As long as I can, I'll visit you. I... I don't know, this past week has been tough for me. I've always felt like something in my life was missing, and I've never felt that before." He tried to collect courage to say his next sentence... Before he blurted it out without thinking. "I think that I love you."

He... loved her? Well, that explains a lot, Xera thought. The trip all the way here, especially. Still, she found it hard to believe.

"Really, Prince... Sadao?" she asked. "Why would you say something like that to me? Please tell me, because I am in a bit of shock upon hearing those words from your mouth."

"Well... After what you told me about love, I started thinking, and... that's really how I feel. So I guess... That I actually love you." He said with a slight blush.

Xera thought about his words. "It means a lot to me, Sadao. Your words. But, are you sure? Do you think we can keep love alive, over distance like that?"

"I'm sure, as long as we put our hearts into it. That's what it's all about anyway, right?" He smiled a warm smile at her.

Put our hearts into it, he says. Xera still wasn't so sure, but that was her mind speaking. Her heart, it wanted to side with Sadao.

"Okay," she said with a smile. "I'm willing to try."

Status
Not open for further replies.