Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Anime-esque, sci-fantasy, adventure, cyberpunk, high-fantasy, Victorian fantasy. comedic slice of life
BIAUhOw.png

Theme song:

pj9b3FL.png

A world drowning in an ancient war.
With an enemy that might as well be ourself.
To defend and maintain humanity, must we lose it?

pj9b3FL.png

pj9b3FL.png

cL8PJWB.png

Halflight is a roleplay mixing elements of dystopia, fantasy, horror, survival, slice-of-life, and action-adventure, set in an alternative history Earth in the year 1996.

Witches first appeared in ancient records as far back as the 8th century BC. Since then, a constant conflict can be traced throughout history. With well-known boiling points such as the large-scale persecution of women and men in the Middle Ages or the Salem Witch trials, a never-ending covert war raged on in the shadows. Various governments around the world established security bureaus concerned only with combating Witches. One of these was Japan's ARMA, founded in 1712 (then Alliance of Resistance, for Measures Against Distress and Affliction, or A.R.M.A.D.A. for short) by close associates of the then-Daimyō. A financial crisis during the 1920s that affected many nations in Asia severely damaged Japan's infrastructure, leading to a reduction of funding for most institutions, and A.R.M.A.D.A.'s eventual split with the government.

Due to the murky nature of the public's perception of Witches, they remained out of societal focus in the events leading up to, during, and after World War II. Combined with Asia's lack of protection against them, this resulted in Japan and other countries being flooded with Witches. Globally, Witches resurfaced in the public eye as late as the mid-70s, when a Witch-centric mafia organization dubbed "Blackpowder" swamped the United States, Russia, France-- and to a lesser extent Japan, China, South Africa, Venezuela, Mexico, and other nations--with drugs.

ARMA was rebranded promptly after, this time run independently by the descendants of the original leaders, receiving much support--even overseas, due to their zero-tolerance policy. Using the organization's century-old infrastructure and rallying the masses for additional crowd-funding, ARMA has since taken on the fight against Witches like a storm, drastically reducing the amount of disappearances and crime in general.

pj9b3FL.png

I7H7lwW.gif

The city of Halflight is a large, sovereign territory within Helios (sometimes referred to as New Japan, as it was founded after the destruction of various Wards in 1962, to adjust to the damage as well as the rising sea-levels in Asia at large), serving as humanity's most prominent stronghold against the Witches. Being founded on the same soil ARMA was founded on in the 18th century, it carries great sentimental value to most of its citizens. Formerly a bustling port-town with industrial flair, it now is dominated by grey facades, neon-signs, and plenty of neglected districts crumbling.

Its most prominent structure is the ARMA complex, entailing both the formal headquarters as well as the academy. The area around the Old Port in particular is considered a hub for Witches, and polarizes the city's citizens, with some avoiding it all costs, while other's curiosity gets the better of them. Despite its history of conflict and the struggle of certain districts, Halflight is a jewel of human society, preserving urban and metropolitan spirits, and a high quality of life. Due to the elevated water levels of the East at large, and the nature of Halflight's founding, it's unofficial nickname has become "The Ark".

pj9b3FL.png

8TyLGe7.png

Generally considered to be an evolutionary branch of the Homina tribe, the Lamia homo sapien, more commonly called Witches, are humanoids with supernatural abilities that enable them to manipulate reality. First documentation have appeared in ancient times, and report of "demons in man's disguise". Witches are able to harness the mysterious powers of the Nemato Cards; an antique deck of cards depicting various creatures and symbols. They are named after cells present in Cnidaria, a group of animals containing jellyfish, the animal depicted on the "highest" cards resemble. The Nemato Deck is thought to be integral to a Witch's power.

Witches can be of either sex, but it is commonly believed that female Witches's innate magical powers are more potent than their male counterpart's.

They are easily recognized by their dimly-glowing, silvery irises; their eyes also lack pupils. Most Witches integrating themselves into human society only ever attend public spaces with contact lenses, sunglasses, masks, or other means to cover their eyes.

A subcategory of this species is called Halflings, often referred to as Nulls. They are also sometimes called Hybrids. Halflings are the offspring of a Witch and a human. Human females cannot successfully birth a Halfling. Accordingly, a Halfling's mother must be a Witch, while the father must be human. For this reason, it is not uncommon for a nation to expect its president (if male) to not entertain relationships with women. Halflings are unable to exhibit any paranormal behavior, and have only one silver eye, with the other being normal. Halflings are protected under the law, but in practice experience heavy discrimination. An astonishing 43% of all recorded Halflings in Helios die before the age of 30, either due to murder, manslaughter, or suicide. It is very common for Japanese Halflings to join ARMA's Cross Branch, which generally reclaims a certain level of social security and dignity.

After centuries of observing and studying records of Witching Powers, their abilities have been categorized into three groups:

P A R A C I O | [Emotional]

The ability to manipulate a person or animal mentally, with no direct effect on its physical condition or the environment. Simple Paracio powers may include the ability to raise someone's adrenaline, while some individuals can manipulate a being's perception, or even induce amnesia. Individuals with this powers are sometimes referred to as Soulbreakers.

P A N T H E R R A | [Worldly]

The ability to manipulate physical matter across the world. This may entail elemental control, as well as directly controlling, manipulating, or reimagining artificial physical constructs. Simple Pantherra powers may include water manipulation or fire creation, while some individuals can reshape an object or even control gravity itself. Individuals with this powers are often referred to as Shapers.

O D Y R | [Transmutational]

The ability to transform, grow or lose parts of one's body and/or one's entire body to various degrees. Growth effects are always bound to the individual's energy, and seem to require a certain "cost". Simple Odyr powers may include the ability to enhance one's physiology, while some individuals can grow appendages or fully transform themselves. Individuals with this powers are often referred to as Shifters.

pj9b3FL.png

2eLCmQv.gif

ARMA is a security conglomerate founded it Japan and rebranded in New Japan/Helios. Originally a secret special ops unit of the Japanese government, it was referred to under its official name "Alliance of Resistance for Measures Against Distress and Affliction", or A.R.M.A.D.A. for short, in official papers. After funding was cut during a national financial crisis, the highest ranking descendents of the original founders retired from their positions and revitalized the organization on their own, rebranding it as ARMA. ARMA is comprised of scientific, educational, intelligence, and militaristic branches. For the past few decades, ARMA worked closely with the Japanese government, regaining certain levels of official authority. Additionally, ARMA has been working with many governments around the world to combat the Witching Crisis. ARMA today could be seen as an external division of homeland security as well as international affairs.

ARMA is divided into four branches, each reserved for specific types of missions.

The Anchor Branch is a research branch, primarily concerned with development of artillery as well as defensive technology, such as automated defense systems, weaponry, or armor.

The Bell Branch is a surveillance branch, primarily concerned with monitoring witching activities, espionage, and conveying important information to the public as fast and as efficiently as possible.

The Cross Branch is comprised of the agents in active field duty. They crack down on violent offenders, infiltrate witching cabals, and exterminate threats.

The Lorn Branch has no publically available informations at this time.

ARMA employs different official titles to convey a sense of hierarchy. At the top sits the chairman/chairwoman; they're also carrying the title of SWORD. He or she can call for large-scale activities, and they usually have a certain level of influence within the government itself. The highest officials that serve directly below the SWORD are referred to as Sentinels. They may veto the CEO's attacking orders if united in their opinion. They are also highly capable field-agents, and are highly respected. Below the Sentinels are the Wardens. They are renowned agents, and usually already have a respectable career to show off. They are capable and may lead squadrons of lower ranked agents. The most common title is that of Agent. They make up the bulk of ARMA's forces, and they represent the average authoritative enforcers. Below them are the Cadets, those who have no finished up their education and are not yet considered full Agents.

Aspiring ARMA Agents may apply to be accepted into the ARMA University. Large campuses exist in various key-locations, as well as some minor facilities in areas of lower interest, with the biggest campus being located in Halflight. Attendees are usually not younger than 15, and not older than 29, though exceptions exist. The syllabus largely concerns usage of weaponry, physical education, martial arts, history, math, science, English, and Witch theory. Those graduating are offered positions in the different branches, receiving an automatic promotion from Cadet to Agent.

Last edited:
Reserved for NPC overview.

@「Melappy」

*boops*

'tis the place for all the chatter. I'm super glad you're interested though, and I appreciate the kind words. :) If you have any questions at all, please feel free to drill me, I'll answer everything as well as I can. :)

Reactions: Aois
It all seems pretty straight forward enough to me. I'm just hoping more people start showing interest. This idea deserves a shot to shine.

I do believe a few people already showed interest on the interest check/group ad?

Nevertheless, I'm stalking this, and if you still have an opening once we hit June, I'll gladly sign up. ^.^

It all seems pretty straight forward enough to me. I'm just hoping more people start showing interest. This idea deserves a shot to shine.

A couple of people showed interested in the Interest Check/Ad threads, just need to come over here. :P Feel free to poke them there though, or invite people you think might like this.

And again, thank you for the praise, you're too kind. o//w//o

I shall personally seek them out and poke the shit out of them.

Thank you for the poke. I was a moron and looked past the links to the various threads at the top of the interest check -.-` I'll start working on something.

Reactions: alaska
I am here and stalking the thread. ^_^ I had a couple ideas for characters, so I'm trying to narrow it down.

@Ultra Paradox ... I was looking at those pics for a potential face claim. Guess I'm not anymore. x_X Searching for faceclaims is my least fave. >_>

Reactions: Ultra Paradox
@Shavynel Aw shucks I'm sorry '^^. Honestly I saw my opportunity with that face claim and I swooped in for the kill. The way I make my characters is drawing inspiration from the pictures and I feel like I struck gold with my gal. :awesome:

Where are you guys looking that you found so many pictures of one individual?

Hope my character is alright!

@Ultra Paradox Nah, you got a good pick! It's such good art!

I was rolling around Deviantart this time around. Usually, I have a character concept and then I try to find something that even vaguely semi matches, and that just leads to pain, so I was trying the face claim first approach.

Probably just gunna go back to my usual approach and hope I luck out at some point. >.<

I usually develop from a face claim, much like Paradox does. Usually results in a much easier time.

I've gone the concept first, face claim second route before though. Actually did that for the more recent 1×1 I started.

Hope my character is alright!

You're wondering if your character is alright? ALRIGHT?! She's...she's amazing. xD. I feel like our characters are going to get along really well, especially with such a similar background. It's going to be awesome to see how they'll interact with one another.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thank You
Reactions: Wryneck
@Ultra Paradox Nah, you got a good pick! It's such good art!

I was rolling around Deviantart this time around. Usually, I have a character concept and then I try to find something that even vaguely semi matches, and that just leads to pain, so I was trying the face claim first approach.

Probably just gunna go back to my usual approach and hope I luck out at some point. >.<

Yeah, it usually takes a ton of time to find the perfect art and character concept. But this time it was worth the intense searching and the frustration that came without finding things for hours.

I could help you look for something though, just shoot me a pm about what you want your character to look like. Or at least the general idea of it ^^

You're wondering if your character is alright? ALRIGHT?! She's...she's amazing. xD. I feel like our characters are going to get along really well, especially with such a similar background. It's going to be awesome to see how they'll interact with one another.
Please take care of her, senpai!

But yeah, I can see them having good synergy, both on and off the battlefield. Here's hoping they can be good friends!

Please take care of her, senpai!

But yeah, I can see them having good synergy, both on and off the battlefield. Here's hoping they can be good friends!

I surely hope so. As we know, characters take on a life of their own. It will definetly be fun. Now I can't wait to see what type of characters other people come up with.

This story definetly has potential to be a long term heap of fun and memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.