Guyliner

Guyliner?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you saying "real men" don't wear makeup: seriously? Come one. What makes a real man? What makes a real woman? Is there such thing?

In my humble opinion, I don't believe there is. While I adore all that is vintage and old-fashioned, I think the gender roles are something we can do without. Is a woman who doesn't wear makeup less of a woman than one who does? Is a man who wears makeup less of a man than one who does not?

I think we have come to a period in time in which it is easier for women to express themselves in non gender-conforming ways than it is for men. If a woman wants to wear pants to work instead of a skirt, there are options for her to choose from; not only that, but it is socially acceptable for her to do so. If a man were decide to do the same thing, but show up to work in a skirt, in many cases, he could lose his job for not taking it seriously.

My argument here is less about the transgender community and their self-expression, and more about cisgender men who simply like the way makeup -or a skirt, for that matter- makes them feel.

Makeup is a huge passion of mine, and, though many find it to be superficial and fake, I adore it. I wear it not because I feel I need to hide anything, nor that I have to cover up every little imperfection. I wear it because it makes me feel sexy, confident, and beautiful. Additionally, makeup is an art; it takes energy, skill, and practice to be good at it, just like any other form. So I ask A. why are we limiting a absolutely incredible media of art to one half of the population and B. why are were forbidding men from facing the world with a little boost of confidence? On days that my skin isn't behaving, I like to have a little concealer on for that boost! And some days, I go out with fiery eyebrows or blue lipstick for the sole purpose that it's fun. My face becomes a canvas, and I have such a magnificent time with it. I feel it's plainly sexist to condemn men from feeling that same rush of "Oh my god, I look fucking awesome."

As far as eyeliner goes, I think a lot of men look really awesome with it.

But that's just my two cents.

Where's the "I don't give a shit" option? >:[

For those who think Men can't wear make-up and skirts and also be bad ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.