Online Availability
Varies, but often.
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Primarily Prefer Female
Hello there, Red here and making use of the setting for SAO's Alternative: Gun Gale Online to bring a new RP to you. I will break this down into a brief overview and a few questions for you, the player;

Firstly, Gun Gale online is a VRMMORPG that makes use of the FullDive system of SAO set in a far future post apocalyptic earth. Centered around PVE and PVP gameplay, the game hosts a wide assortment of firearms from the 20th and early 21st Century and even has far future Optical (aka laser) Rifles, explosive weapons and other forms of equipment and gear, such as combat stims, healing kits and plasma swords. GGO makes use of a special skill system to reward players with a few perks and has a very realistic look and feel for the player for deep immersion. However as this game was developed some time after the SAO incident there is no possibility of being locked in the game and dying in game does not kill you. I will purposely not lead the story down such a path even if it were open to me.

In terms of canon this will be far removed from the events of the anime seasons and the characters within, who will be at most mentioned if relevant, but otherwise will play neither appearance or role least under a special and limited conditions. Given the lack of lore revolving around some situations and skills in SAO I will be heavily improvising and fleshing things out to fill the gaps, such as more skills, more equipment types and more level zones. The base game has had a rather limited or poor showing in the Anime seasons and in the LN the action is often focused around one team in special events that do not reflect the greater map. All in all, the plan is to have the players compete against "PVE" (AI enemies and other "players") threats rather than a pure PVP Focus and this RP will take place in an episodic layout.

What does this mean? Basically in place of throwing you all into the main and expansive "main event" that I already have in mind, you will start out as players who will learn of or know one another and then build off of your connections and experiences to build a Squadron off of. Squadrons are essentially the Guilds of Gun Gale Online. If you don't know anything about the story, you don't really need to. This is fully new player friendly, you just need to understand the concepts of how MMO's, Shooters and Virtual Reality work in the SAO setting and in our world, generally. And in the character creation process I will aid in helping you pick out a weapon or build set as needed, so don't let that discourage you either, and as noted Plasma Swords and explosives are things in the game, though you may find advantages and disadvantages to using such.

Now we shall move on to Keynotes, then questions for you, the player.

Keynotes

• OOC will take place on discord.
  • I will do my upmost to have the lore/ooc thread up within a week of the time I get enough players to make it worth doing.
  • Players will be from one Server.
  • PVP matters will need to be discussed among the group, however it is possible and you don't truly "die" in this game. In Game appearance is an Avatar.
  • Posting Expectations are once a Week but more than that is what I will be aiming for.
  • Posting Length and style shall be fairly typical of Iwaku and aim for a couple paragraphs.
  • There will be some form of RPG mechanics in this. Do not worry I have no plans to use dice least requested and will be asking questions to that effect.
  • I may take co-gm's for this depending on player numbers, they will likely come from people I know from other works that are being made aware of this thread in advance.

Questions

• This RP can take place on the NA Server, the Japanese Server or a OC European Server. If you have a preference, please state so in a response.
  • On the note of stats what would you prefer? Full stat point rotation? (IE Agi, Dex, Luk, Sen, Str, Vit) Partial as in just the skills reworked? Or not at all/other?
  • Character connections. As noted I want the players to form connections to one another, but should some form of prior real life history be centered around this, a case by case basis or not at all?
Should you have questions or comments, please leave them here for me and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. In addition should you be among those I have linked to in advance or just want to join with no comments to be made, leave me some sort of reaction here or let me know in what will be the OOC/lore thread.

That is all.

Last edited:
Reactions: timv999 and Astros
Definitely interested.

Few questions of my own.
1) Will players starting solo be making standalone posts, or do you have a starting environment chosen to get people clustered into a few groups?
2) How experienced do you want players in the game to be starting out?
3) Will the roleplay be focusing on "PVP" with NPCs, PVE, or a fairly balanced mix of the two?

As for the questions
1) I'm fine with any server.
2) I don't mind stats, so long as there's a guide as to how to make them, although I'd almost prefer to just drop them unless they'll make a meaningful difference in playing the character.
3) Player connections should probably be on a case-by-case basis to let people decide their own character's backstories. I'm 100% down to talk about knowing other characters in my character's backstory, but it always dampens my enthusiasm to talk about those connections when it's been mandated. Also not terribly uncommon for people to play games with people they've never met in real life.

• Useful
Reactions: RedArmyShogun
1) Will players starting solo be making standalone posts, or do you have a starting environment chosen to get people clustered into a few groups?
2) How experienced do you want players in the game to be starting out?
3) Will the roleplay be focusing on "PVP" with NPCs, PVE, or a fairly balanced mix of the two?

For the following;

1. The RP will start off at a popular bar for people that are gathering squadron mates, and if you're a brand new player or an outlier, I will directly make an entry path for you to take, such as being saved by a DM character from the starting lane scalpers and scammers, or a quest will bring you there/force you to go there for help.

2. That is fully on the player, you can be a vet or a brand new noob to the game and it can tie into me "helping you" and you gain the equipment you have in your sheet via it +auto resolved or played out "quest" to get you outfitted. The later req only matters if you have something insane/rare like a Minigun or explosive weapon/high end (aka newer) weapons.

Players can also upgrade their arsenal or change it up as part of the story by communicating the exchanges with me. Please do not do this often.

3. Situational. Overall you can think of it as a mix but say you are raiding a PVE zone and some "players" show up to steal the loot from under you as a mission boss. Overall I think it will more favor "PVE" so that the players can have more leeway in postings.

Also noted on your responses. @kookyboy9

Last edited:
Q1) This RP can take place on the NA Server, the Japanese Server or a OC European Server. If you have a preference, please state so in a response.

A1) For the sake of having players generally connected I say agree on a single Server. Given the setting I'd suggest Japanese as the primary and NA as a secondary.

Q2) On the note of stats what would you prefer? Full stat point rotation? (IE Agi, Dex, Luk, Sen, Str, Vit) Partial as in just the skills reworked? Or not at all/other?

A2) I believe something akin to a Class System would be best. (Think Dark Souls) You have a specific Class that aligns your stat points in the general direction of your skills and abilities, but allows you to customize further into specializations or broaden out. You could have a "Deprived/Default" Class as well with evenly distributed stats in order to customize. Takes the initial hassle out of stat aligning, but allows for specific skills.

Q3) Character connections. As noted I want the players to form connections to one another, but should some form of prior real life history be centered around this, a case by case basis or not at all?

A3) I would agree on the real life history, but suggest we all have went to the same High School at one point or live within the general same area. To where we can discuss topics about the real world "in-game" and get a sense familiarity. That or if we don't already have prior experience "in-game" such as partying up once or twice together and remembering one another. It could be where anyone who is an outlier has a substantial reputation. Whether within the Guild's gossip or the "forums" if such a thing exists.

• Useful
I was interested when you told me the idea before, after reading this I know that I am 100% interested and will be joining this if it ends up moving forward!

• Useful
- I'm more leaning towards NA server, but JP is alright too and bilingual VPN users aren't that rare if anyone wants to be a foreign person. I do feel like different servers would have different cultures though (I'm basically thinking about the FFXIV NA vs JP vs EU server culture), but that might be too trivial of lore to be caring about in an RP setting.

- If there's no dice I don't see stats as terribly important, a general notion/evaluation like "standard/good/lacking" etc would be good enough, maybe a skill tree or something similar if that isn't too much work and consideration to be put into, or just general categories or fighting styles a character can fall into.

- I think prior relationships would be better on a case-by-case basis, since I'd assume characters would come from all walks of life and came together in a video game, which is usually the norm in MMOs. I think there could be a good blend of different types of prior relationships like "irl friends who started playing together", "in-game friends or former teammates", "met in-game but met up irl and became friends irl" etc, and it would be up to the players and how well their characters fit into those relationships.

• Useful
@Cresion Breezes Canon wise the servers were separated because of cultural issues and that American gun culture had them dominating most engagements, or so is thought. There is another reason for the single server. One of the principle main events later down the line will have most of the players meeting in one location offline.

Course by that point we should be well removed from the first meeting tidbits.

As to the rest that seems to be the overall preference.

~~~~

Once I get a couple more interested or at least one, I'll start work on the OOC, I'll have to rely on that to sell it to others.

As an Edit and that it has been brought up to me with a few people who have not posted here, I likely will not do the stat system so much as a perks and class system. Details on that will be seen when the OOC is made, but essentially there will be three weight classes and attached to them will be a few weapon and trait perks. These will give a unique feel to your characters and will likely take up most of my time and effort in creating the OOC.

Last edited:
Possible interest.

Firstly, Jp with backup preference for NA.

Not much of a fan of stats but can get over it if it's simplish.

Not entirely sure what's meant by a history being centered around this. As in everyone already knows each other? I think it's a good idea for everyone to be in the same area or go to the same school, but not sure about everyone already knowing each other.

As for questions, what kind of equipment is there? Never watched gungale or sword art, all I know is that there's guns and swords because kirito's an edgelord. What "classes" are viable?

@EmperorsChosen Sadly the Reply Button still does not work, so I cannot break this down in case by case instances...

As to Equipment, everything from Hummers and Jet Skis and broken down Tanks on the one hand and on the other every sort of gun from a Revolver to SMGs, MGs, AR's, explosives and far future things like Plasma Grenades and Laser swords. I will make a comprehensive list in the OOC, also see above for answers to stats.

To your question on history, you indeed have the right of it. As in how or if we know one another IRL, that will be left to a case by case basis.

Overall on server preference, I'll do one final review of all the opinions here and one in Discord and will make the final decision on the ooc character dump creation.

Now moving on to Classes, I don't think we'll have "classes" in the traditional sense, but rather you will have unique perks that compliment one another. The final number and layout of these skills I am still deciding. This will likely be the longest task on my RP creation.

~~~~~

Speaking of for all of those in here, I will start making the OOC tomorrow, it may be done in one to three days and then I will link it back here. I am not limiting sign-ups to who is just here, in case the ooc cathes more attention than the interest check, but the 7-8 people expressed interest here or elsewhere is enough for me to commence work.

I am still on hand to answer more questions or to hear opinions.

@kookyboy9 @Reanimator Spuds @EmperorsChosen @TreasureSniper @timv999 @Astros @Cresion Breezes @Azurian Dream And anyone else. I may have gotten carried away with the thread so I'm not expecting sheets too soon.

GGO Alternative

Read if you dare, I will start on my sheet(s) tomorrow or the day after, you will have a full week to get your sheets done and turned in. If you have questions feel free to ask, if I am here I will answer them.

If you need more time to do a sheet, please hit me up in the ooc, I can allow for longer than a week if enough of you need it.

Last edited:
Reactions: timv999