Guardian

• Thread starter ᴋɪᴛsᴜɴᴀᴇ
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Yeah, I have some time," Raeleigh grinned. She too, wondered where Max had gone off to, but she didn't dwell on it. Mostly because she didn't know him that well at all. The girl side-glanced at a few people at the table next to them; a couple girls whispered to each other and looked at Rae frequently. Either they were staring rumors and gossip about her, or talking bad about her behind her back. Oh, the joy.

Rae sighed, but turned her focus on Benjamin again. "So, what classes do you have next? Other than Gym, I mean."

"Other than gym?" Ben paused. "Right, study hall. Can't take anything really interesting 'til next year, so I figured I'd get some time for myself in.

He had taken notice of the potential gossipers and cast them aside; the last thing he cared about were rumors spread about himself. That was assuming they were about him and not Maxavier or Raeleigh, which was the last consideration he took into his head. In a perfect world, he'd leave after lunch and not have to bother with gym or sitting in a room, but it's not like he had any real means of enjoying himself. No money, no car, nothing with him. Save skipping out for another day. There'd be plenty, he knew that at least.

"Well, I got lucky and managed to get into art class. You saw how much I like drawing," Raeleigh grinned, "A chance for me to get better. I don't really like my art. Then again, my mom says I doubt myself too much."

Raeleigh took out a piece from the folder Ben had given her. It was one of the few drawings that had been somewhat recovered. Rae took out a pencil and turned the drawing to it's back, which was clear and untouched. Rae then peered up at Benjamin and smiled, "Give me something to draw. An animal, a plant, someone, anything."

Ben paused, glancing first at the paper then back to Raeleigh again. His mind had truthfully blanked at the request, which had seemed quite out of the ordinary despite not being one of the arts himself. After a long pause, he merely shrugged his shoulders slightly and glanced back down at the paper. Before the gesture could be passed off as rude or not-thought out, Ben added.

"You'll have to give me time on that one." He replied with a quick smirk. "I'll get back to you about it tomorrow, deal?"

Raeleigh laughed lightly, and put the pencil away. "Deal," she said, smiling. Rae blinked as lunch was ending; time passed more quickly when you were having fun- wasn't that annoying? The brunette stood, and grinned brightly down at Benjamin.

"So, still taking me to see the sights of Florida after school today, huh, tour guide?" Rae smirked humorously. The girl gathered up the folder of her tattered drawings, and held it to her side, gazing patiently at Ben.

Ben stood not long after Raeleigh, brushing himself off with a sweep of his hand and slinging his backpack across his shoulder. Taking school supplies in the other hand, he froze, running through his mind what he had to do when he got home, all while Raeleigh was talking. After his self-scan of sorts had been completed, he allowed himself another short smirk.

"Does that mean I'll be paid?" Ben remarked with a chuckle. "Yeah, I'm still on for today. Anything to procrastinate that essay."

Offering a final farewell to her, Ben turned and began the way to the gymnasium where he'd be spending the next semester before switching over to the 'education' part of 'physical education'. That course he had down, though - don't smoke, don't eat junk, the usual health course nonsense that should be self explanatory. As it was, though, it would be running around doing things that barely passed as hard workouts and learning the rules of sports everyone had been exposed to before. What a joy of a class period.

When he took his first steps into the gymnasium, Ben merely scanned the empty chamber with one sweeping arc. He had been about to question if their first class was here until the crowd gathered behind him and pushed through the double doors. Avoiding the potential stampede, he scurried to the closest bleacher and laid his things down. No doubt the coach would be here any minute, following his charges as they settled down near where Benjamin had settled down.

"I heard we got the drill sergeant." Muttered one girl to another.

"My brother hated him...Man never quits, he must be like sixty!" Replied the other.

Not that he had meant to eavesdrop, but it was hard not to hear what went on when the two were absurdly inept at the art of the whisper. While Ben waited, he questioned the accuracy of naming him the 'drill sergeant', figuring that whoever this figure was, he couldn't be all that terrible. When the man finally did step through those double doors, timed right to the bell, he wished he hadn't possessed the audacity to be wrong. Greying hair buzzed to a fine point grew out of a harsh, angled head with a stout brow and hooked nose. Fiery blue eyes gazed beneath a bushy set of eyebrows that dominated the clean-shaven face.

Hands firm behind his back, back straight, the Drill Sergeant stepped forward with loud thuds and squeaks of his tennis shoes. Truthfully, Ben hadn't realized that stereotypical gym teachers still existed, if they ever had at all. Snapping around quickly, the coach cleared his throat and bellowed outward with no real direction.

"Welcome to physical fitness 1-0-1!"

Why couldn't I have been right?

Lucky for Raeleigh, Gym was her last period of the day. Though, she probably didn't know just how fortunate she was. Had she'd actually seen that beast of a coach, she'd be a lot more enthusiastic that it was, indeed, the last period of the day that she'd have to see him.

Art class wasn't what she had expected. In fact, it was incredibly boring. Nearly an hour of drawing straight lines and other things of the like. Rae already knew how to do this! Hopefully this was just because it was the first class of the year, and it would get more interesting, later on.

The rest of the day had been pretty boring. And how she hated Gym. She was reminded just how much she hated Gym with a burning passion. Though, it could be said that she had the coach even more so. Did he dedicate his life to looking like a brute whom yelled at High School students? Poor sod. Who enjoyed that? It couldn't possibly pay well. If you weren't doing something right, he let you know. It's why she thought about calling him Mr. WretchedBreath. It sucked when he got right in your face and screamed. That saliva wasn't nice, either. Nor was the bulging veins in his neck.

After the brutal experience that had been gym, Ben was ready for the last stretch of his day: study hall. The best time of the day to have it, too, he wagered. All the time to slack off and do homework before heading home, and later the ability to drive off on his own as early as ten minutes before the bell. Not that he could do that today, not even next week. It had been a surprise to him to find the majority of the seniors in this class; it seemed like they had nothing better to do.

Taking a moment to make sure the asshole from earlier was not in the room, the freshman sat himself down at the edge of the classroom. That was until the librarian came and ordered them into an assigned seating chart, which had him sitting only one desk over from where he had started. Annoying to go through all the hassle, but at least she had been kind about it. There was a 'pleasant but strict' air around her, seen when a student had come in late. Short fuse, got it.

Of course that little explosion of temper had hushed everyone. For the entire period. Not a peep, not even from the seniors. Not that it really counted as far as socializing was concerned; Ben had seem them drag out cell phones and from there it was a matter of sending an SMS to the person five feet from you. Smart in the classroom, but made him a bit more than disturbed that this was a normal facet of socialization. By the time the bell ring, everyone had been on edge and several jumped upward and stormed out the door.

Finally relieved of an immensely droll seven hours, Ben stood up, stretched, and headed out the door for the courtyard. Time to play 'tour guide.'

Raeleigh, tired, made her way to her locker after the bell rung. Everyday for seven hours, the same thing. For three-hundred and sixty-five days, an entire year. Then two months, and it's right back to it. "Kill me now," Rae huffed, putting her stuff into her backpack and closing her locker door shut.

Then, the brunette surprisingly made it to the courtyard in one piece. Then again, just as she thought that, it had to turn her luck. Rae had been working on a new drawing, focused on the sketchbook in her hands. That drew her attention from where she was walking, and that, well, that caused her to trip and fall into the dirt a few feet away from Benjamin. Laughter could be heard in the distance, and Rae quickly stood up, brushing herself of and pretending nothing happened as she finished those last few steps to Ben- though a nervous and embarrassed smile was on her face.

"I'm a klutz," she announced humorously, "But anyway. Where to first, tour guide?"

Ben had been waiting for about five minutes by the time he caught sight of Raeleigh leaving the building. Unable to catch her attention or otherwise force his way through the crowd outside the doors, he simply waited by the bike rack until the brunette found her way over. When she had tripped, Ben was halfway to helping her up when she got to her feet and turned back to greet him with a smile that attempted to push the faux paus aside. Pausing only to check his phone for anything urgent (there were none), he replied.

"All depends on what you want to see first, all up to you."

"Well, do you have a park here? I know I did back where I used to live, and I spent a bunch of time just sitting on the bench and either writing, drawing, or writing lyrics for songs I'll probably never sing," Raeleigh laughed softly. "I liked the peace and quiet, too. It was always kind of hectic back then."

The brunette breathed in the air, able to smell the ocean heavily in the atmosphere. She reckoned she'd get used to that, eventually. It was nice and breezy today, and hearing the crashing of the waves in the far distance was pretty nice and even comforting.

"Oh, and you have to show me the best places to eat, too. Do you have those hole in the wall places here? They always look kind of shady but they usually have the best food- back where I used to live, I'd go to a milkshake place every Friday after school. The people even had my milkshake ready when I got there. They gave it to me for free, sometimes because of the situation I was in, they were really sweet people," Rae reminisced about all her favorite places, and realized the little part about her situation- Rae didn't care anymore. Ben wasn't the type to judge. If he asked, she'd just tell him.

"This is Florida, I'm sure we'll have a good ice cream shop somewhere." Ben replied with a smirk, wanting not to tread on whatever this 'situation' was Raeleigh had mentioned. "Right, I've no idea what to do with the bike..."

Glancing around for a moment, Ben merely shrugged and undid the lock, deciding he'd just have to walk with it. It wouldn't be too far, and there was always the square to anchor the bike to when they got there. Taking his bag and shoving it atop the bike's seat, Ben searched his mind for the first place to head, deciding (partly for his convenience) that the town's square would be best; the majority of what he considered the big sights were nestled around there, making it an easy go-to stop.

With destination in mind, Ben began to walk backwards, pushing the bike along. "And behind you, you can see Eastwood High, a wondrous center for learning and higher education. Here countless students have tried, and failed, to make it through without a scratch. Over there is the rare sight of an Eastwood bus, denoted by its yellow..." From the look Raeleigh gave him, Ben stopped and chuckled to himself, watching as the crowds dissipated onto buses or into cars, leaving but a handful out on the courtyard. How different it looked from this morning, almost pristine, but not quite.

Raeleigh laughed, "Oh, I've learned more than I wanted to about Eastwood, thank you very much!"

The brunette followed alongside Ben, taking all the sights in. Florida was pretty- at least she'd gotten lucky enough to be in a more of a peaceful, small city, rather than the bigger cities like Panama, etc. In the distance, she saw what seemed to be the Town Square. Smart decision, to start there. It seemed to house many different restaurants Florida was known for as well as some shops and things like that. Rae winced as she saw a little boutique with dresses that looked way too elegant for Florida and its weather. Who wanted to wear that every day? More importantly, who could move around in that every day? Sometimes, Raeleigh didn't understand her gender, at all. Fine gloves and heels and poofy dresses all day every day. No. Not for her.

The girl grinned as they passed a woman walking what was probably one of the most beautiful dogs she'd ever seen- it had been a silver-coated Retriever. Raeleigh seemed to really like dogs, by the way her eyes lit up. "I would give anything to have a dog," she smiled.

"Never been a pet fan myself." Ben replied with a shrug. "I could see why you would, though."

Ben led Raeleigh around a corner leading off from the square, a locally owned cafe being the first building to their left. Vibrant green and yellow awnings sheltered an exterior set of tables from the summer heat and plain glass windows gave a view into a warmly colored, bare-bones counter with a few tables tossed around the corner. Taking a moment to confirm the name of the cafe, he turned to Raeleigh.

"This is one of those hole in the wall places you were talking about." He commented. "Probably the best in town, but it's better during the break when there are more people here."

Status
Not open for further replies.