Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Fantasy, Historical, Magical, Dystopian
Um, hello all. I've been roleplaying for some time now, (About 8 years), but I've mainly just been a 1x1 rp person. However, I'm now interested in trying my hand at group roleplays, but I'm not really familiar with the way it works. Is it like turn based response or something of the like? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Apologies in advance if this is not in the right place. This seemed the best place for it.

Hey there, Kita!

Group RP is just like a 1x1 with more players. It has some turn-based aspects, for sure. However, while some groups do have specific turn orders, many do not. The GM/DM is the primary kickstarter of new scenes and is usually the driving force when it comes to the plot.

For example, say a group roleplay has four players + the GM (sometimes GMs have specific characters of their own, other times they simply control the majority of the non-PC world).

GM: Sets the scene
P1: Describes their character doing something in the scene
P2: Has their character go talk/interact with P1's.
P3: There character does something drastic! It's large and noticeable. No way anyone around is not going to notice.
P1: Writes a response, both to P2 & the thing P3 did.
P2: Reacts + decides to chase after P3!
etc.

Collabs are when two or more (N)PCs are going to do a lot of back-and-forth interacting, so to prevent spamming the IC, the players write the interactions separately then post them all in one post.

Some of the best advice I can think of would be to go read some group IC threads. If you let the GM know you're new to group rps, most will be extra patient and willing to help you however they can. c:

If you have any more specific questions, I'd be happy to help.
Cheers!
~Rook

• Useful
Reactions: Wissart and Eru
Hey there, Kita!

Group RP is just like a 1x1 with more players. It has some turn-based aspects, for sure. However, while some groups do have specific turn orders, many do not. The GM/DM is the primary kickstarter of new scenes and is usually the driving force when it comes to the plot.

For example, say a group roleplay has four players + the GM (sometimes GMs have specific characters of their own, other times they simply control the majority of the non-PC world).

GM: Sets the scene
P1: Describes their character doing something in the scene
P2: Has their character go talk/interact with P1's.
P3: There character does something drastic! It's large and noticeable. No way anyone around is not going to notice.
P1: Writes a response, both to P2 & the thing P3 did.
P2: Reacts + decides to chase after P3!
etc.

Collabs are when two or more (N)PCs are going to do a lot of back-and-forth interacting, so to prevent spamming the IC, the players write the interactions separately then post them all in one post.

Some of the best advice I can think of would be to go read some group IC threads. If you let the GM know you're new to group rps, most will be extra patient and willing to help you however they can. c:

If you have any more specific questions, I'd be happy to help.
Cheers!
~Rook
Thank you so much! This has been tremendously helpful ^-^

I'd also add the number one difference between a 1x1 and group rp is that you are not the main focus, but part of the grand scheme. It's important to remember, because while in a 1x1 it might be okay for you to sort of... Monopolize on a scene to make your character the center focus, something of that sort is generally frowned upon in a group. There is, of course, value to every character in a group and some characters might be focused on more by the GM, but the idea is never to TRY to stand out more or overshadow everyone else.

Reactions: Dusk